If there was a big four, what shugazi album would be added?

If there was a big four, what shugazi album would be added?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=L4eFJcQTPpo
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

We've already been through this before.

Not just because of pitchfork memers

In my dreams

not shoegaze btw

literally only has 3 good songs
fuck off and its not shoegaze

Drop Slowdive. Add:

The Verve - A Storm In Heaven
The Brian Jonestown Massacre - Methodrone

I dunno an Astrobrite album or something maybe? I can't really think of any other big shoegaze albums that aren't made by Ride, MBV, or Slowdive. Maybe that Yuck album

>not the verve ep

this

Sunbather

Ehh?

bet you cant guess what i would say

nobody listens to it though and their first response would be something like "beat is better" and ignore the part where beat is not a good shoegaze album.

Here you go.

lol no

Fuck off you fucking niggerfaggot put Souvlaki back goddamnit. whirlpool isnt that good

vdc is literally my favorite album of all time and the colorful ride album is better than the ocean one iirc so good shit there

>leave mu for a couple years
>people think ride and chapterhouse are trvegaze

WHAT HAPPENED

Souvlaki Space Station is arguably the best shoegaze song ever, but the rest of the album struggles to keep up.
Whirlpool is consistent as fuck and has way more straight A+ reverb paradises.

Let me guess, Ride is le bripop with reverb XDD

LSD and the Search for God s/t

Definitely methodrone

literally the opposite. the first track of whirlpool is god tier and the rest of the album is underwhelming. here she comes, when the sun hit, allison, off the top of my head, are all better than space station

imho you should replace Ride with Oeil - Urban Twilight and add V:D:C

>breather babby thinks the indie pop shit is the best material on souvlaki
kys

Why the fuck do people even bother trying to put Loveless in the same category as these other shit albums.

Souvlaki isn't anywhere fucking near Loveless, it's barely the same style.

Even Beach House sound closer to being MBV but that's still too far.

Shoegaze was never a genre. It was just MBV and people who tried and failed to sound like them because they didn't have the genius to do all the crazy shit that Kevin was doing.

easily

On Fire, obviously.

Yes it's Shoegaze.

>loveless is how shoegaze should sound, everything else is fake and shit
Leave this board right now.

Literally this

This is better than loveless btw

you leave it, you obviously have totally undiscerning listening, you can't hear the difference, you're just another genre baby that needs everything fed to you in the form of recommended listening charts, which you swallow like gospel you total pleb.

what's the name of the first album? new to Sup Forums

Ride by Nowhere

My. Somebody didn't take their meds today.

>everyone is wrong but me
You are so smart.

Going Blank Again>>>>>>>Nowhere

Nowhere simply has stronger songwriting (if you count the album + ep). GBA has probably some of their best songs though and is amazing nonetheless. It's way more jangly, so it's natural you'd prefer that one if you dig jangle pop.

Also, everyone is wrong and Tarantula is underrated.

Tarantula has Castle on the Hill and like Deep Inside My Pocket, at least Carnival of Light had Birdman and Moonlight Mile.

this 100%

>but the rest of the album struggles to keep up.
how does it feel to be this plebeian

>entry level dreampop is patrician
kek

yes

jeah

Ride is really one of those cases where the plebs just assume the first album is the only worthwhile one out of sheer laziness.

Seconding this.

Underrated post.

I just want a MBV-ripoff genre

>Everyone arguing while ignoring this

I complained about not liking this one that much in a thread some time ago. Listening to it for the fourth time now and it's really clicking. The ending to Autosleeper, which I hated at first, is actually quite beautiful. It escalates and gets noisy, but you can still hear the original chords through it and that combination really only adds to the beauty of the rest of the track. Really feeling the album this time.

U dipshit

Eh?

Either this or Treasure

Honestly, if there was a "big four", and we stopped memeing about it, it would be this.

I thought everyone just listens to Nowhere because of the holy trinity and believe that it's the best

but I'm seconding this
Nowhere doesnt click to me as much as OX4,Leave Them All Behind and Mouse Trap did

That's not shoegaze.

I'd hate to admit it and you're likely trolling, but you're pretty much right.

He's actually kind of right, shoegaze is kind of the ultimate genre baby genre, and I think it's fair to say that we've already established a long time ago that nothing will match the genius of Loveless or Nowhere. Also Souvlaki is technically Dream Pop.

There's just not that much great shoegaze out there.

>There's just not that much great shoegaze out there.

True. But what is great is amazing.

I like this album and I'll probably have to give it another try but to me "desire lines" seems like the most shoegaze song on this.
Anyone who hasn't checked out their albums Spooky or Gala should definitely do so.

Oh hi there Kevin. How's that new EP coming along?

Who has really come closest to replicating the sound of Loveless? I don't listen to much shoegaze but I've heard some Astrobrite that captures the effect pretty well like this one
youtube.com/watch?v=L4eFJcQTPpo

Cocteau Twins is almost never mentioned in shoegaze threads. At least the ones I visit (i could be way off)
I mean, sure they may be more "proto-shoegaze" but theyre so essential to the genre I'm surprised when I don't hear them mentioned a little more.
One of their albums surely warrants a spot on a top 4.

Shoegaze is an easy formula, just add fuzz and reverb to otherwise plain indiepop. Only a small number of people got the idea to add interesting melodies and textures.

It's no surprise the genre crossed over with black metal, which is also very easy to fake via aesthetic.

Also check out Blood Music and Mesmerise.

They are the definite dreampop band, but they're not really shoegaze.

Lushlife > Beat > s/t though

>shoegaze is kind of the ultimate genre baby genre
>There's just not that much great shoegaze out there.
>thinks loveless and nowhere is the best the genre has to offer
Maybe you should dig a bit deeper before you make these bold claims?

oh stop, let them be shoegaze

i'm going to listen to this tonight, thanks for this thread Sup Forums

I have to agree with this. This album isn't on a par with the other three, but if there were a big four of Shoegaze, Lush would be one of them

yeah no.

It seems the way to get a shugazi thread going is not to make it a general, but instead just posting some vague "what's your favorite" question.

this is what happens when you let people say ride is shoegaze. then people try to say cocteau twins is too. where does it end.

how do you define shoegaze?.From maybe the 500 shoegaze or dreampop albums I listened to none were able to recreate the sound of loveless except some songs from blue/yellow loveless,some songs from souvlaki and mbv

I'm ok with this.

>not LSD and the Search for God

First thing came to mind.

Id consider it on the synth pop side rather than shoegaze

Based on all of Sup Forums's opinion, and not just /shugazi/'s, it would be this. I think Further is miles better, and there are plenty other bands whom I prefer to FSA, but in terms of sheer recognizability it has to be this.

There isn't a big four

it goes

Loveless
>>>>
The rest of shoegaze

Setting all personal preference aside, it's probably one of these three or You're Living All Over Me depending on how loosely you want to define shoegaze.

Anyone else not like Loveless? iIt's the most influential shoegaze album of all time, but I just don't like it that much.

Big four in terms of popularity would probably be

Loveless
Souvlaki
Nowhere
and I dunno really. Those always seem to be discussed more than anything else and this thread doesn't seem to have one outlier album.

For me my most listened to Shoegaze albums would be

Swirlies - that long ass name
Sweet trip - V:D:C
Slowdive - Just for a day
Starflyer 59 - Silver

>RYM charts

Seriously. Get the fuck off this board right now.

Ride were one of the core defining shoegaze bands, are you fucking retarded?

I love how Nowhere is the only one of those listed as solely shoegaze, while kids here desperately try to claim it's not.

>Anyone else not like Loveless?
It's a great album, but I've become quite tired of it. Never had that with Nowhere, though. I still find it fully enjoyable all these years down the line, I think it's helped by it having these massive intensive songs like Dreams Burn Down, Nowhere and Seagull that just completely swallows you in guitar inferno.
My Bloody Valentine saved the noise parts for their live shows, Ride put those on the albums.

Are you telling me the "Britpop with reverb" posters aren't taking the piss?

It's probably like the "Blur is shite" thing where people make a derisive meme out of jest only to be mistaken as something serious by newfags who ape it until it's public opinion.

even though I made a reply about another album

I think Split should make the cut and in case of adding a 4th,it would fit the most

just listen to Desire Lines(amazing guitar btw) and Never Never
also,they are touring and putting the genre a bit in place after their reunion

the only others I could think of are Chapterhouse and Catherine Wheel

I love it when the thread is closed right in the first reply.

surprised this took so long

Its OFFICIAL

not shoegaze
great album, but also not really shoegaze
Come on slowdive is a goddamn classic

>not shoegaze
Citation needed for some of those, m8.

>MAKE
>ME
>HAAAAAPPYYYYY

if you mean the larger branch of shoegaze sure but those albums border onto other genres more

all three are overrated