/MLB/ General - GOAT outfielder edition

mlb.com/news

Other urls found in this thread:

mlb.nbcsports.com/2016/05/11/report-the-red-sox-are-being-investigated-by-mlb-for-questionable-international-signings/
youtube.com/watch?v=4WhOnXavG2M
lookoutlanding.com/2016/5/11/11655036/edwin-diaz-relief-pitcher-is-a-very-real-thing-that-is-happening
fangraphs.com/library/offense/woba/
reddit.com/r/baseball/comments/4itcco/rangers_score_seven_runs_in_the_bottom_of_the/d30ypf2
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Barfs winning the 2017 Worlds Eries

YANKEES SUCK

Royals

>sox fans bitching after losing a game

You guys need to chill the fuck out.

ive never watched baseball before

redpill me on my hometown team, the nationals

do they have a chance to win the champ?

>tfw based slyke and ether are probably going to BTFO Thompson out of the lineup

Yeah. They're pretty good. They've got some player named Bruce Tanner or something he's pretty good.

Lifelong Cubs fans finally reaping the fruit of their die-hard devotion.

One of these things is not like the others. One of these things just doesn't belong.

>You can't complain after losing to the rags after having a 5 run lead
Or are you referring to the really depressing faggots who claim the season's over now. If so I agree, they are annoying

>-26 run differential
>5 games over .500

How the fuck does this happen?

move the braves back to the NL west

>1-16 at home
>1 (ONE) and 16 (SIXTEEN)
>AT HOME
>IT IS MAY 11

It was the
>rags
I'd be mad too

when will /mlb/ realize this is the Mariners year?

It might be a little early for Rangers fans or AL West fans but does anyone have any idea what Ryan Rua's ethnicity is? I've never heard a name like that.
For what it's worth, he's from Ohio and I can't find his parents' names.

Straight wetback desu

Meme team to be honest and the implosion is imminent.

What makes you say that? I thought "Rua" sounded like some kind of Islander personally.

they basically win one run games. thats it

I checked Behind the Surname and it tried to tell me that it was a rare Jewish name. Maybe you should've googled what "brow-beaten" means.

Are the Yankees, dare I say it, back?

Wikipedia has one result for a Sardinian guy and a bunch more for Brazilian and Maori guys.

why the fuck does it matter? He's a shitskin one way or another

THIS is the GOAT outfielder senpai. Get it straight.

Is this real? Holy fuck I hate my generation

padres @ cubs bread

I don't fucking understand how I can be blacked out of a game being played 2,000 miles away. I thought the point was to encourage people to go to the games, but the game is being played in Chicago, and I'm in SD. Plus I don't even know what station the >Dads are broadcast on, I don't think it's regular cable. Thank God they only play the cubs 6 times a year.

Whats up with Bomston teams and cheating?

mlb.nbcsports.com/2016/05/11/report-the-red-sox-are-being-investigated-by-mlb-for-questionable-international-signings/

Find me a better hitter in the AL that's not on steroids

Protip: you can't

Machado

So I'm a lifetime Mets fan, but I'll be moving to Maryland soon. Obviously they don't carry SNY, and I'm not gonna pay the MLB just to watch one team. How can I watch the games when I move?

>lifetime fan
>wont pay $100/yr to watch games
2015 doesnt mean lifetime buddy

>womanlets

you can connect to MLB.tv with up to 4 IP addresses at the same time I split it with bros from work for $30 a year

Rekt

That's not on roids

Haha you'll have to watch MASN when they play the Nats

youtube.com/watch?v=4WhOnXavG2M

If you bring back the color line you won't have any more doping in baseball with the exception of the occasional Italian or Jew.

Someone get a leafblower

>arrieta

ITS JUST PILATES

TRUMBOMB

Verizon FiOS has SNY and a lot of other sports packages (which are as you may suspect pricey).

LGTSS
>6 runs a game

So I guess we'll be seeing Edwin Diaz later this year then. weird

lookoutlanding.com/2016/5/11/11655036/edwin-diaz-relief-pitcher-is-a-very-real-thing-that-is-happening

Sox Rangers matinee rubber game

>Phil Hughes
>Even in a pitchers park

jays have good starting pitching, a big surprise, but I bet it will be horrible if and when the offense gets going. osuna is a GOAT closer but rest of the bullpen is iffy

Yeah I don't think it's fair to expect the rotation to keep up the pace they're on. I think coming into today they had the best starting era in the AL. But it'll even itself out if the offense can hover back around the 5 runs per game average.

the offense is so bad right now its unbelievable. they've scored more than 5 runs like 5 times all season

>losing to the >rags is something to be ashamed about
They've been consistently better than the literal whos the last 4-5 years and have been to the worst series twice in that same timeframe

>MUH PRICE WHY DIDNT WE GET PRICE
>OH NO NOT HAPP AGAIN JUST FUCK MY ROTATION UP SHAPIRO-SENPAI

>2ERA 5-0

Bandwagonfags BTFO

hindsight is 20/20

although anybody who believes the jays would ever have signed price are retarded. jays cant afford it relative to their team salary, only big spenders can afford to take a big risk like that

Sorry but even the Astros lost to the Rangers by giving up 7 runs in the 8th.

No one saw this coming bandwagon fan or not. He's been surprisingly good though I can't really explain it. He's been the jays best pitcher this year.

>can't explain it

Ray Searage is the best pitching coach in the game. Looks like whatever he did for Happ stuck.

On base percentage and slugging percentage should be listed before batting average. Batting average coming first makes people think it actually matters

>not just using wOBA and only wOBA

>Batting average doesn't matter

The only notable difference I can pick up on by watching him in game is his confidence. He's not so timid like he used to be. He actually throws strikes now. Before he would get himself into trouble by falling behind hitters or walking them.

It literally doesn't though. A walk and a single both get you on base. It's cool to keep track of and should be kept track of but it doesn't show you a player's value like OBP does. For example, you could be a .250 hitter with a .370 OBP batting leadoff, and at first glance people would think that's worse than a leadoff hitter who bats .275 with a .330 OBP just because of how the stats are listed

>i watched moneyball one time

>not using wOBA and only wOBA

OBP and Avg are both pretty important. Idk why you'd value one over the other.

average is important because you actually need to hit the fucking ball to drive in runs. taking a walk with a man on second and two outs is objectively worse than a base hit. obviously its not an end all be all stat, but it should still be used alongside OBP and other shit

Sure, I'll forgive my leadoff guy for having a .150 batting average if he's putting up a .375+ OBP. But I want the people in the heart of the order to put the ball in play so they can drive runners home. Constantly drawing walks doesn't accomplish this.

tl;dr
A hit has infinitely more value than a walk with runners on base.

I've played baseball my whole life and have been pretty autistic about stats and baseball my whole life. I remember my dad telling me that OBP is actually more important when I was about 10 years old or so. It's pretty simple and clear to see because
Getting on base is the point of the game, it doesn't matter how you do it. Batting average can show you that they can potentially have more extra base hits then another player, but at that point you should just use slugging percentage which measures that

What's that

wOBA is great. It uses linear weights for each outcome. It's where wRC+ comes from
fangraphs.com/library/offense/woba/

>What is slugging percentage

K, maybe I screwed up when I said that batting average doesn't matter, it does, but I think it's less important than OBP and slugging percentage.

OBP for leadoff hitters/fast non power hitters, slugging percentage for power hitters (it's also good for everybody because it shows how often they hit doubles/triples as well)

Looking at only slugging percentage is dumb as well. Someone with a .150 Batting average but a .400 Slugging percentage tells me that they rarely hit the ball, but when they do it goes for extra bases. Someone with a .350 batting average and a .400 slugging percentage shows me that they hit the ball a lot, but rarely get extra bases.

Batting average is the base for both slugging and OBP, to say that it isn't as important of a stat to see how good a hitter is for certain situations is just dumb.

>Cain and Peavy have finally have ok starts
>Offense scores 3 runs in the last 40 innings

Why can't everyone click at one, Giantsbros?

RIP white sox
April 4, 2016 - May 11, 2016

Rays @ Mariners

The only reason Cain and Peavy looked good was because the jays offense is fucking abysmal. I hope you're ready for madbum to hit career highs in strikeouts and possibly a no hitter.

I was just randomly wondering this today: you know how baseball announcers will occasionally have some random person from some random organization up in the booth with them talking about what their stupid organization does? Has there ever been an instance where while the interview is going on, the announcer's team is being btfo, but the announcers have to keep talking and pretend like the anal annihilation isn't going on because of the stupid guest? I really want to see something like that.

I don't know, but it's very frustrating
Hopefully they'll hit tonight, but it sucks we couldn't take advantage of some good starts from the back end of our rotation

>MadBum throws a no-no
>Jays score a run due to walks, steals, and errors
>Giants get shutout and lose because their offense has suddenly died

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAH
reddit.com/r/baseball/comments/4itcco/rangers_score_seven_runs_in_the_bottom_of_the/d30ypf2

>WHOS

Has anyone ever subscribed to Baseball America?

It seems like it would peak my autism but 139.97 for a 2 year subscription seems pricey.

Is it just for scouts and industyfags?

>ribbit

>whining while you are in first place
fuck off

>going to plebdit
kys

All that Ms fan hate

Who is the most likable team in the league?

stroman will go 7 innings of 1 run ball and leave a runner on base with 2 outs and the bullpen will come in and the inning will end with the gints scoring 3 runs

brewers

>Who fans can't handle reddit tier banter
Literally no one on the planet hates the Yankees

Except >we're not in first place you idiot

fuck yes based donny saving us from getting no hit

enjoy your shutout win gintsbros

Agreed Yanks are a classy organization, right up there with the cards

you are only 1 game out of first place I think all the padres fags killed themselves

>Giants
>Scoring

he's back

>Panik going for the highlight play and getting an error
>Defense fucking Bum again

Have the cubs and their shit bullpen finally been exposed?