/grimes general/

Discuss the awesome Canuck electronic artist Claire Boucher known as Grimes.

Suggested topics:
>How and when did you find out about her?
>Rank/rate her albums and post your favorite songs of hers.
>Did you see her live? Do you plan to?
>Who would you like to see her collab with?

Some cool stuff:
Documentary: vimeo.com/164942263
Important: genius.com/Grimes-i-dont-want-to-have-to-compromise-my-morals-in-order-to-make-a-living-annotated
Rarities: reddit.com/r/Grimes/comments/4g84rl/grimes_downloads_various_rare_collaborations

Try to keep it music related, and be nice to Grimes and to each other!

Other urls found in this thread:

stereogum.com/1870807/grimes-preps-more-chill-synth-y-new-music/news/
instagram.com/p/BEPOG2Vuj66
instagram.com/p/BFP29czOj9V
youtube.com/watch?v=rZ9PeqqnQOw
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

did she catch all of those tomatoes herself

Very, very possible.

that image, well the fact it has been published in some way, sums up what is wrong with this 'artist'.

well artist is right, but i felt wrong not putting inverted commas haha

what do you mean?

is there a grimeth flowchart?

It's not her faul that she's so much more photogenic that your artists lol

This artist is genuine, great and relatable. That image isn't even a press photo.

oh no

he mentioned it

batten down the hatches lads, shitpost flood's a commin'.

guys i just had a thought

what if justin beiber was the voignamirian on the inside all along?

There are 3 flowcharts at the moment.

>be nice to grimes and to each other

That flowchart drama is officially over.

Grimes is my ultimate love

H A C K
A
C
K

kys

grimes is genuinely great.

Some old news:

stereogum.com/1870807/grimes-preps-more-chill-synth-y-new-music/news/

But here’s where things get a little confusing. When asked to describe the direction of the new songs, Grimes says, “With Art Angels, it was all like [growls]. This would be more chill vibes, downtempos, synth-y shit. That makes it sound boring. It’s not boring.” And when asked if that upcoming record is a b-sides album, she explains, “You know how Lana Del Rey put out Paradise Edition after Born To Die? It would be like that. There are songs I seriously considered for Art Angels, but they fucked with the momentum when I tried to put them on the record.”

So if I’m understanding correctly, the b-sides will be packaged as an EP with a reissue of Art Angels, and the synth-y new songs are something totally separate that she’s also working on and will not appear on the record that she’s halfway done with. It’s also a bit unclear if these b-sides are the scrapped version of the album that eventually became Art Angels, which she has said she’ll probably release at some point, or other b-sides that she ended up leaving off of Art Angels later.

>UPDATE: Grimes has posted a clarification on her Tumblr, which indicates that no new music is coming soon.

>Hey! :)

>contrary to what some press is saying, I’m not ‘half-way done’ another record, nor will i be playing new music at upcoming shows. Of course im always working on new stuff, but i havent taken even a weekend off in years at this point, and i’ll need to chill when this cycle is over so please don’t set expectations too high.

>last time, everyone wanted the visiosn follow up right away and any off-hand comment i made about new material became the weapon by which i was attacked, so to save my self grief i am publicly stating that there is no new music coming any time soon. I really need a break and I intent to take one.

>I’m sure this will be referred to as a delay or a lost album or a rant/ screed/ melt down. just fyi, it is none of these things. This is literally nothing besides a ‘clarification’ that new material is not imminent.

>much love to y’all :)

That made you really mad

There are 3 sets of unreleased Grimes songs:
- the scrapped album (made beyween Visions and Art Angels);
- additional songs made during Art Angels (AFTER the scrapped album);
- other older unreleased songs.

perfect. literally perfect.

Well, I have tomatoes growing in my garden.
I don't post pictures of me holding them on social media as i'm not a cunt.
My father has tomatoes in his garden.
He doesn't post photos of himself holding them on social media as he is not a cunt.
Grimes finds some tomatoes.
>hey u no what wud be kewl

Actually, I find her quite unattractive. I've known girls with her style: unwashed; drug using; more masculine than feminine; artsy; alternative. Not my kind of thing in a woman.

However, I think most artists in their respective genres can produce cringe photographs, but only when they are trying too hard. On the other hand, all artists in their respective genres can create really good photographs. Usually candid.

u no?

>I don't post pictures of me holding them on social media as i'm not a cunt.
So you must be a cunt if you post pics with you holding some tomatoes? Are you ok, dude?

She once said she was making a KLF inspired album. I'd like to hear that stuff too.

rudimentary comprehension and english language 101 for you next semester?

i went and saw grimes play at an outdoor concert. literally the first time i ever heard her. Lots of people went, lots of people said it was awesome. i seriously didn't fucking get it at all. her voice is just horrible sounding. i dug the dancing and the beats and shit, but it all sounded very very similar and her cutesy Aqua-esque voice just wasn't my bag.

her live performance is very dance-oriented
she makes pretty varied music otherwise

>I find her quite unattractive. I've known girls with her style: unwashed; drug using; more masculine than feminine; artsy; alternative. Not my kind of thing in a woman.

see this is the kind of entity who hates grimes. the kind with a plank of wood up his arse who hated all the greatest artists of the past.

you really shouldn't have been this honest. someone as unimaginative and conservative (in every sense) as you will never appreciate art- or women.

I tried to fap to her and couldn't mantain my boner, and I thought my entry to the waifufags was almost complete

I've been going through actually.claire's posts

I got really worried when I saw this
instagram.com/p/BEPOG2Vuj66

oh my fucking god, and everyone jumped at my throat last thread when I criticized her

So, you're a dumb cunt.

>I have tomatoes growing in my garden.
OK.

>I don't post pictures of me holding them on social media as i'm not a cunt.
>implying that if you would post them you would be a cunt
>but you're still a cunt regardless of posting them or not

Her music is probably not for you. She has a cutesy voice which is like marmite. It's an acquired taste.

she didn't make that video tho it seems
this is kind of sweet of her tho, a little creepy but then again she is 16
instagram.com/p/BFP29czOj9V

Worried? It's just a fan video, not gore or xxx.

gpellison__: Didn't u post a vid of Jimmy the stalker singing and dancing and then u took it down immediately??? I'm assuming it's @jimmy.jimmy19844????
actually.claire: No, I don't even know what Jimmy looks like. I've only heard his voice before @synergy_group_

welll what the fuck did they mean by this? "jimmy"? so animejames? i bet these borderline stalkers know so much more than us and it's embarassing, also i don't get calling this crazy stalker piece of shit "jimmy", seems kind of weird

grimes is cool

Can anyone post the latest flowchart?

yes that is animejames

maybe there's a secret society of ricardos that none of us knows about

>people like this are the reason grimes stopped posting shit like she was in 2012 about drugs and stuff
I mean it's cute and all, really, it's super endearing that stans like this exist.

But I miss my shitposting twitter Grimes. This new-age defanged Grimes that posts once in a blue moon and it's always an rt of what her friends are doing is lame af. Not that I blame her at all, it's not her fault, it's just a consequence of rising fame. I'm just not satisfied that it has to be this way, even though I've accepted it.

I can only imagine how amazing that "oh shit" moment she had when she realized just how obsessed people were getting with her. That realization of "fame giveth and fame taketh away".

I guess it's a net positive because she's gotten off of the hard shit, and I'm super proud of her for that. Her twitter in 2012 was just GOAT and the archive doesn't do it justice, and I'll always miss that time.

2013 first half of the year was peak twitter, maybe even more than 2012. after moving to rural squamish she had much more free time and constant internet for the first time in (supposedly) seven years. she also didn't have a cell phone at all until she got an iphone that year, apparently. seems unlikely, but in any case she did spend more time online and increase her tweeting that year, maybe because she had less touring commitments and was procrastinating while making the "lost album" (=everything recorded in BC).

I think we can all agree grimes' social media game was peak when she still had no idea how famous she was.

until she was spoiled by the drug, there is no way back, and there is no evidence that she stop it

she said so and she generally looks healthier now.

we have no reason to doubt her.

>weed is not a drug

weed is not a hard drug, which is what she said she quit.

grimes is ugly and her music is shit

she was pretty damn famous in 2012 and the first half of 2013, but she was cool with the fans reading her random thoughts. what happened is she didn't realize the media would have a gossipy interest in her, even a political interest. they got to her tumblr, and started making headlines, bringing it to the attention of non-fans. that was terrible enough in her eyes even when the headlines were wonderful, like poptimist and feminist manifestos on tumblr in february and april, which were well received everywhere that wasn't Sup Forums.

nonetheless, she was angry, and deleted her entire tumblr briefly after that. it seemed like an absurd overreaction even to fans, but in retrospect she had the right idea in not wanting those headlines, because good as they seemed, they created an image of her as an ideological leader, which the left (including those with zero awareness or interest in her music- or maybe even any music) now expected her to constantly live up to in future statements, subordinating art to their dogma. Worse, it also made her a target of the alt-rapist right ever since, who imagine her as the prototypical sjw (ummm try Meredith Graves).

Everything fell apart by the end of 2013. Pouncing on alleged inconsistencies in her feminist image, Spin turned against her simply for defending her bf from attacks they may have designed just to get a "Grimes responds on tumblr" clickbait headline. Then the simmering real life beef with her old friends about who deserved credit for her success, which had been developing quietly, opened up into a twitter war by the end of the year.

2013 started beautifully, but ended up destroying both tumblr and twitter for her. Her instagram account was founded in January 2014, around the same time she scrapped the lost album, left BC and went to LA. Twitter and tumblr are tied up with the past- like the album she left unfinished. Excavating her lost tweets would be a difficult but necessary task of the future scholar of Grimes.

(not true, by the way)

This is a good writeup. Post-visions, pre-AA grimes is so fascinating.

The more you uncover the more connections you see between what before seemed unrelated. This opens up new possibilities about her mindset leading up to the release of AA. 2012-2015 must have been such a huge rush for her. A shame she got burned along the way by web 3.0 psuedo-blogger journalism. Each passing day it looks more and more likely she's going to turn into your average popstar, and that's a very real shame. Grimes as a post-internet popstar who was wary of but still used social media to form a close bond with her fanbase was very unique and magnetic. I'll never forgive music journalists for betraying that because of a slow news day and they have nothing better to do than write about specifically she said NOT to write about.

Her time at Squamish is super fucking interesting to me, I think that's where the last shred of Montreal Claire died and the new-age Grimes was born. I have no doubt in my mind the falling out with Seb played a part in her running away just as much as her wanting to not get caught up in cheap celebrity scandals and not wanting to stomach LA.

I wish one day James would offer his perspective of just exactly what the fuck happened from March 2012 to Feb 2014, because it's basically one huge question mark and it's a huge part of her development as a person from Post-Goth Claire Who Stammers And Loses Her Train Of Thought to World Trotting Popstar Who BREATHES Confidence. But she'd never be okay with that and that's enough for James to not even think about it.

qt

she's not confident, she's just pretending

She's way more confident these days. The really shy Claire is a thing of the past. She's still awkward though.

Why do we love Grimes so much?

Me it's probably because my first girlfriend (who introduced me to her) liked her a lot. She broke my heart when she dumped me and to this day I still listen to grimes (3 years today).

She's very different from how she was in 2012 and before.

The Visions non-stop bullshit probably pushed her to the edge. It's here that I speculate James decided to put a stop to it, for whatever reason. My own hypothesis is that Seb didn't see just how close Claire was to a critical meltdown, or she had them in previous tours and he just accepted them (she was an awkward, shy girl being thrust in front of huge audiences afterall, it's only natural that it'd wrack her nerves)

Queue James loathing Seb's guts, convincing Claire to sack him, the alienation and vilification of Claire from Montreal's indie pop scene, and alongside whatever factors she saw in LA that spooked her and New York looking like a pit of scandals, she was once again pushed to the edge of her limits until she finally retreated to squamish to pupate and emerge from the cocoon as the Grimes we know and love today, much stronger mentally.

this is probably waaaay off target and not at all what happened, but it's my current hypothesis.

i just gave AA a shot and it clicked, then the others

Because she's a truly amazing artist. I'm pretty sure I'll be a fan for life, no matter what kind of music she will release in the future. So far I enjoyed all of her songs.

beta

What if James was the villain here and he alienated her from Seb because he was jealous of their relationship and then the rest so that they couldnt talk sense into her? i mean, he isn't exactly outgoing himself, so i don't see how he could be one to inspire confidence in her.

she's pretty based and her music is good.

her visual artwork is sick, too.

I think Grimes is quite surprised that fans love her so much and that her music is really appreciated. In many, many interviews she talked about herself in a self-deprecating way, like she was afraid to acknowledge the fact that she's great.

good smellin puss

shes not even hot tho

i just realized why i'm still here
for the memes

grimes is a good meme material

James is the only one who ever showed concern for the toll that touring was taking on Claire's mental health. I don't think Seb's crime was one of malice, I think it was just one of neglect.

At any rate, try to imagine what James sees when he joins the tour courtesy of Bloodpop: A Grimes that's growing more and more disturbed and moody, Seb not paying attention/not caring about Grimes' emotional state, and a whole lot of people doing nothing while Grimes basically shatters in slow motion.

Grimes had before mentioned touring is super hard for her, but she was just out of a super long relationship with Devon, recently broke up with Picture Plane, and she'd never toured even half as hard as she did with Visions and for generally much smaller crowds. That's not a recipe for a stable individual even if they were well adjusted leading up to it (Grimes was anything BUT well adjusted at this point in her life.)

Yeah, if I was James I'd be fucking pissed too and trying my hardest to pull Claire out of that plane before Seb crashed it with no survivors. If he didn't she'd probably have developed some pretty severe levels of psychosis.

Play Ambrosia long enough and you will not be able to get it out of your head: youtube.com/watch?v=rZ9PeqqnQOw

>Cause every time you look away
>I think I love you more each day

>I like Roc Nation and I love Jay-Z
>But on Westside I'm screamin fuck CB
what did he mean by this?

CB is a gangster and undercut his business, popped his boys and made a fool out of him to all the other gangs.

It was a power play that made everybody start to fear the crazy waif white bitch.

post your favorite grimes picture and list one (or more) fact(s) that makes you like grimes enough that you endure the tides of diarrhea that this thread seems to wade in.

>grimes actually gives a fuck about things
>grimes also cares enough that she doesnt shill these things overtly into her art, instead only speaking to her personal experiences rather than a political agenda

Does anyone have more photos where claire is waering tight shirts like this? If not, what about loose neck shirts where you can see her collar bone like this Please...

>POKIES

can you not

i hope you aren't requesting these for lewd purposes user...

where can i read her pre-2014 tweetes?

>James is the only one who ever showed concern
how do you know? it's all speculation. how you know that everybody just stood by and watched.

>I don't think Seb's crime was one of malice, I think it was just one of neglect.
but the story did turn malicious when Seb supposedly tried to spread rumours that Claire was a sellout and alienating her from her friends. he just doesen't strike me as that kind of person either. and why did they all still turn on her if it was later shown that Seb had been a douche?

in the book of lord voignamir when you ascend to the sky

getting some mean comments

is Grimes the most popular artist Sup Forums has ever had? Ive been here for six years and have not seen this level of fandom save for maybe that big k pop band and now churches

>how do you know? it's all speculation.
I don't. It is all speculation.

Something's just not right about the way James went from "Wow I like Elite Gymnastics, their music is pretty sick" to "James is literally my knight in shining armor"

hahahahah

on the bright side she says that when she retires she'll turn back into queen bitch, so we might get some dank claire memes in 30 years.

What's the background on this pic?

please keep posting stuff like this, it's the only reason i come here really

I just love her music. It makes me think about stuff.

>>>/reddit/

Why did Claire break up with Devon? He's hotter than James. Also, how did she met James?

>the last trashique 'spam' was 4 days ago
im think i'm dying lads, just wiltering away waiting for the next set of videos
class doesn't start for another month
my friends all work 60 hour work weeks at a factory (lol nounion)
i have nothing to do but stew and wait
i should probably work on my music but whenever i try i just get distracted and come back here in less than 30 minutes

> now churches

There isn't any Chvurches fandom on Sup Forums. Maybe there's some people (I like them) but for the most part it's just threads about Lavren and how much they hate/love/want her.

> she'll turn back into queen bitch

What did she mean by this?

He couldn't be in a relationship with her because she kept letting him down, like not showing up for dates, never returning his calls, etc.

>is Grimes the most popular artist Sup Forums has ever had?
no, but one of the most popular for sure

her own words were something along the lines of:
>when I retire I'll probably turn back into a huge bitch

in the context meaning she'd return to social media except really vocal with a deficit of fucks to give.

Poor Devon :( Why was Grimes so mean to him?