Headphones and headphones purchase advice thread

Headphones and headphones purchase advice thread

What have you got at the moment? What do you like/dislike about them? Do you plan to upgrade soon?

Currently listening to Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven through my Audio Technica ATH-M50X's

Best headphones in their price range by FAR

OP here. I'm on a €150 budget, preferably looking for something open back than doesn't need an amp. I'm thinking Beyer DT770 32 Ohm, anybody have experience with these?

Also looking at the HD598's but I hear that they lack bass. They have a neutral sound signature which is great but I listen to a lot of hip-hop so a decent bass response would be nice.

why does he look like a newborn baby

The ATH-M50x's seem very good. I'm kind of worried about them being closed back though since that effects the soundstage

>closed back

unless you're wanting to spend over £€$1000, I wouldn't worry about that.

There are some great open back headphones even at a lower price range. Philips X2's go on sale for $200 pretty often.

and they're shit. Stick with the one user suggested

What headphones and AMP/DAC do you use?

Audio Technica ATH-M50X

for home use: ATH M50s. I really like them, and have had them for ~5 yrs. without feeling the need to replace. I prefer speakers usually anyway.

Portable: JVC HAS400. They are decent for the price ($30), and don't take up a lot of space. I know I could bring the M50s out, but they are a little bulky to trow in a bag and then I would have to worry about thieves or damage

These would be my first but I can get them on Geek for $65. Are they worth it?

HEY THERE, FUCKFACE

What music do you listen to?

because he is one

Benjamin Button syndrome

I am looking for good behind the head headphones. WITHOUT bass boost. I have really sensitive ears and bass boost on all the headphones I have ever had/borrowed hurt my ears so badly. $50 limit (im poor)
Sorta like pic.

Would Sup Forums recommend these headphones?

those are 500+
or at least they were a couple years ago
do you mean $650?

they look cool
yes

They're dope dude, you won't regret.

Takstar HI2050

Previously used Grado SR60e's but they fucking killed my ears. These however cost £30/$40 from aliexpress and sound even better I think, they are also super comfy. I think they have become a meme now or something because they cost around £70

Despite mixed reviews online I've got Quiet Comfort 35s.

They're definitely not the highest quality cans I've ever used. Creative Aurvana Live had way better sound (and sound stage) and they were like $250 cheaper.

But for what I use them for (gym or out shopping) they really help block out the external noise and that's a godsend.

I dunno, they were really overpriced. I would maybe pay like $120, $140 for them. Still a step up from Apple earbuds.

$500? They're like $150 dude

NOWWWWW I DRIIIINK....

Does anyone have suggestions for earbuds?
Do good earbuds even exist?
I just use the stock samsung ones at the moment and they're pretty shitty so I'm looking for an upgrade.

How much are you willing to spend?

t. someone who has never actually tried any other headphones

for 65$? thats a fucking steal dude
using them now bought em for 150 my two complaints is that the ear pads are velour which im not a fan of and the bass is lacking

every other quality is above and beyond

I have the HD558s which are basically the 598s but not as cool looking. I haven't owned any other good headphones but they sound excellent and it's as comfortable as wearing a cloud.

$65
Get them. I got the 558s for more than that. Really good deal

Get akg-150s
Best bang for your buck only around 150 usd

$50 tops but that's pushing it

Abso-fuckin-lutely. They have a very balanced, neutral sound signature which isn't for everyone but if you don't like them just sell them on for like twice what you bought them for

You can get JVC HA-FX40's for about $20. Awesome earbuds, amazing sound for the price

Replied to the wrong person, that was meant for

Nice ill give them a look

i'm using beats, they were a gift. they work fine

Sennheiser 580's and Fiio E7 for mobile and E9 for home use. I know Fiio aren't exactly the best company for a flat sound signature, but it's what I an afford at the moment.

My setup, a gift from my fiance.

I will likely never need to upgrade my headphone set up. It's perfect. Totally different experience from listening on earbuds.

DAC - Schiit Modi 2
Amp - Schiit Magni 2
Headphones - AKG 240 (comfy as fuck)

That's an awesome AMP/DAC combo. I don't think it's necessary for the K240's though, they're not a hard to drive at all. They have a 55 ohm Impedance

Is it safe to use all those expensive (100$+) headphones outside ?
I want to upgrade but I mostly listen to music outside on my phone and if I put that much money into a headphones I don't want them to break in my bag or something

I've got AKG K702's and they're pretty good. Here's my pair. They definitely improved with the addition of an amp, and I still need to get my cable / DAC situation worked out.

That said, really great definition, very neutral in tone, and I love the more open soundstage offered my the open backs. Tough, lots of sound does leak, so not an ideal choice if you're looking for good isolation.

Nice Schiit stack you've got there. Looks like a comfy setup.

Just using these thingers at the moment.

I forgot the image, whoops.

If you're going to get M50x's, immediately get the M40X's instead. Much better and cheaper. Most will agree.
M50's are extremely overrated. They aren't nearly as enjoyable as most closed headphones in the price range. Not worth it.

The HD598 are absolutely worth $65.

I'd also rec anyone to check out Philips SHP9500 for excellent open back headphones at a great price. I have some and love them.

>they're not a hard to drive at all. They have a 55 ohm Impedance
Don't misunderstand the purpose of amps, and what makes headphones hard to drive.
I have had inefficient 8 ohm speakers that are hard to drive, and efficient ones that are loud and easy to drive. Headphones work the same way. Impedance doesn't always directly dictate how hard they are to drive.

xiaomi pistons

they're a bit out of your price range but def consider the Shure SE215

Is it me or do ATH-M20X's sound a bit off?

Are AKG K240's worth it or should keep saving and buy ATH M50X's

Depends on what kind of sound character you prefer, and whether or not an open or closed back is ideal for your use.

The 240's are semi open, so a good bit of external noise will get in, same goes for whatever you're listening getting out. They do provide excellent mids and when amplified, excellent if very neutral bass. They really benefit from amplification in my experience, actually, despite their low power requirements on paper. Your experience may vary.

The M50X's will offer more isolation and a "darker" sound with prominent bass, with a more V or U shaped curve. I've listened to both and I really think it'll come down to preference and what kind of music you mostly listen to.

They're really not. They're a great set to wean someone off Beats/shitty skullcandys but once you realize what good headphones actually sound like, ATHM50xs become very middle of the road. I'd take some DT770s or HD598s over those any day, in fact that's actually what I did.

dont get the HD598's, they have the same drivers as the HD558's, the only differences between them are the materials and colours.

if youre set on getting open back sennheisers, just get the 558's. if your'e willing to spend more for better, skip the 598's and save up for either the HD600's or HD650's. dont get anything higher than this though, you will be dancing with the audiophile devil once you cross that line.

dont be afraid to check out other brands that offer open back "reference/studio" monitor headphones.

The ATH-M50's have been amongst the most popular closed back headphones for a few years now, I wouldn't doubt it they ARE the most popular. I see a lot of sound techs using these because of their high quality to price ratio. They opt for closed back headphones for obvious reasons (isolation), and they're quite durable relative to other similar headphones in the same price range, meaning, they can bring them to a club or venue or even on tour and not worry too much about something happening to them because they can easily replace them for a reasonable price. I've heard people say that the M50's distort at lower levels when compared to other headphones, though, this should not be a problem since you shouldnt be listening to anything that loud anyway. And ive heard people argue that they have too much bass, which is a pretty subjective thing, i personally dont find the bass to be a problem. Soundstage, what is soundstage? can you define soundstage? does soundstage even exist in regards to headphones? do you believe everything sennheiser or audio technica believes? if so, you need to reconsider some things. basically if you are worried about soundstage that much, you should just save up for some real studio monitors, not headphones, speakers. You will be happier in the long run.

depends on how much your'e willing to spend, there are plenty of IEM's that are reasonably price with good quality. If your'e willing to go all the way, go to your local hearing clinic, they can set you up with a pair of moulded in ear monitors, the same kind that a lot musicians use when performing live. you can also have them print a pair of ear plugs from the same mould.

I see hipsters walking around with ath-m50's all the time, i usually giggle though so i wouldnt recommend. just get some IEM's like a normal person.

interesting, ive never heard anyone say that the m40x's are better, if you dont mind could you state the reasons why? curious

I don't want to lose my hearing to IEMs but I don't want to carry bulky ass headphones around

what's a good public portable listening solution?

HD280s are fucking fantastic for being $100

you can use IEM's without getting hearing damage, you just gotta listen at a quieter volume and maybe take more breaks. if that doesnt cut it, try the koss porta-pros or something similar "on ear" portable headphones. If that still doesnt cut it, consider not listening to music while on the go like a cunt.

Yeah dude, joe rogan uses them, so why shouldnt you? I also see these being used a lot as headphones for que stations in pro recording studios. I have a pair and I use them for the same thing.

depends on which ones you are getting, all the ad series looks the same and they all leak sound like crazy; on the plus side you have superior soundstage. I personally own a pair of 900x and when I'm not listening to my planars I use these.

I actually want these because they're open backed. I want to be able to hear my keyboard clacking - right now my headphones (Sennheiser 380 Pro) are closed-back.
Any other high-quality open-backed general-purpose headphones you can think of (that DON'T require an amp)?

>not using earbuds in 2016
what's your excuse

GET

Do the M50s leak sound? Also is there any real difference between M50 and M50x? or is it just the detachable cable

I needed a new headset because my Logitech pair broke. I bought the Steelseries Siberia 200's. On sale for like 20% off, from 65 to 40 bucks. The drivers are pretty good, even boosting music by about 30 %, there's no clipping. I've only listened to DNB on them so far, but from the sub to the pad, all ranges come through pretty clear.

Would recommend if you need something on a budget while these are on sale

Would anyone recommend the Q701s?

HD650's and o2/ODAC. There is no better sound for the price

>all these people recommending the m50 and m50x

haven't let me down yet

Does anyone have experience with Meze headphones? I hear their audio quality's pretty great. Also how does the 99 Classic (on the left) compare to the older 88 Classic?

not same user but I have the M40X and I love them. I've never done a thorough comparison, but the sound quality is incredible in both. M50X are probably slightly better, but it's pretty insignificant for the amount of money you'd have to spend.