/daily/ - Max Roach edition

It's the second of October

Listen to your library, show off your backlog, babble about new music, stop editing the OP dammit, be at peace with /rym/, try not to have another existential crisis, and just let the good times flow.

neverendingchartrendering.org/
>Top Sters. Just use this.

plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel
>Plug a snug. People should actually start using this for more than 30 minutes a week.

synctube.org/r/Some_dumb_synctube_channel
>Plug too normie? Parents don't love you? This is your place!

dailymu-sic.weebly.com/
>for stuff and things

discord.gg/s5Rv7zJ
>like /daily/ but without music discussion and structured conversation

The skype group is a closely guarded secret, protected by a sect of closely guarded monks high atop the Coches Mountains

Most importantly, better git hit in your soul!

Previously, on /daily/:

Other urls found in this thread:

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/john_coltrane/coltrane_live_at_the_village_vanguard_again_/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/john_coltrane/concert_in_japan_f1/
youtube.com/watch?v=6cB-IKnEDWw
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/anthony_braxton/seven_compositions__trio__1989/
youtube.com/watch?v=-K_RJHOArRo
rateyourmusic.com/list/StuffRodHeardAfterAugust/most-days-i-cannot-remember-i-walk-in-my-clothing-unmarked-by-that-voyage-discoveries-from-year-1/
youtube.com/watch?v=CAMWdvo71ls
youtube.com/watch?v=S0zvsdRY5Yk
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>daily has two jizz themed threads
when will this meme end

2nd for good music

exactly

This is the third one in a row actually.

/daily/ boys are for _______.

mfw Cortez the Killer is the best live song ever

gonna play that shit with a band when I eventually become a responsible adult

banning. /daily/ threads are for deleting.

>are
big guys
>for
you

hey man look at this loaf

seppuku

>mfw nobody will see the final deletion coming

>the slint cover
mmmmmmmmmm

What are you
listening
to

>Natural Snow Buildings - Aldebaran
I love this but I don't know if I should rate it based on the length (which is way too much seriously). If you're courageous enough, it's not a bad listen. The sound quality is a bit irritating on this album.
6/10

>the built to spill one

>don't have much of a metric to compare it to other than the shape of jazz

which you shouldn't compare to since Ayler has a radically different conception of jazz and does not move his steps from a sort of post-bop background like Coleman does. AA is truly one of the most unique jazz players you'll ever find, consider revisiting please

You could probably go for late Coltrane recordings like rateyourmusic.com/release/album/john_coltrane/coltrane_live_at_the_village_vanguard_again_/ or rateyourmusic.com/release/album/john_coltrane/concert_in_japan_f1/
you could even try some Archie Shepp recordings but I don't know since in my opinion is kind of a hit or miss but at least Mama Too Tight could work for you

Saw Max Roach in the title so I thought maybe there'd be some fans in here. Does anyone know of any jazz musicians that do the type of collaborations that he and Abbey Lincoln do? The only other artist I've heard do interesting things with a singer is Ornette Coleman on some of the tracks on Science Fiction, but is there anyone else that's done good collaborations with vocalists?

Where do you get all these fresh pictures of fresh people? All I have are yum kid and Brian Swords of York.

[spoiler] I stoled them [Spoiler/]

Sonny Sharrock's "Black Woman" my dude

going outside and taking pictures of everyone i see who looks like a meme, someone could make that their gimmick

breaking grounds in social interaction, maybe not

the swedish group Paavo do some interesting vocal jazz

I'm calling the police.

h e c c § y e a

Ran Blake & Jeanne Lee
John Coltrane & Johnny Hartman

yeah, I think they really jumped the shark with that length, though they really did have a lot of amazing moments

yeah I'm pretty sure I updated it.

how do I go about grasping these "conceptions of jazz"; is it a literacy thing, will it come with listening to more jazz/free jazz?
what is even is jazz? is it adequate for us to categorise everything under a blanket term like jazz?

also fuck sakes Terminus, was downloading Dispepsi off you on soulseek, shit aborted on me before finishing the last track, fix ur shit

>what is even is jazz?
same as djent ("does it djent?"): "does it skronk?"
same as djent (boring wank): boring wank

please do not insult djent

sorry mate, the internet in my place sometimes drops out randomly (but immediately works again if i disconnect and reconnect fsr). try again, it should work rn

well take the example of Ayler and Coleman.
It is clear that what Ayler is trying to do is purely spiritual since he is trying to recover old marching bands' tunes and trying to decline them into psychotic and ecstatic follies (this is even clearer when listening to his live recordings), hence you can probably get that it's not the technique (like Sonny Rollins, just for saying) nor the pure innovation (like Coleman) he is searching for. He just simply wants to communicate the joy of the divine, and I think that's something Coleman never intended to put into his music (although I haven't listened any of his later works but I don't think he didn't). That's why I don't think it's apt to compare them: a more fitting confrontantion would have been between him and Sanders or the late Coltrane.
For the literacy part, I dunno, I guess it comes surely with more and more practice and familiarity with jazz language, but really I can't be sure since I may be just dumping a huge load of shit on both of the artists' conceptions and ideas.
I'll insult djent as much as I want

Cornetto le man

wtf my irl friend who doesn't browse mu just sent me a katie pic

nah it was like one track, just got it from some other dude
thanks for putting it up there in 320 though

right, where I was coming from with the Ayler Coleman comparison was more structure in that both state intention, go hog wild, then return to form, but listening to the start of Ascension I can gather that that's just a free-jazz thing, not strictly exclusive to either, although Peter Brotzmaan comes to mind somehow

Who

yo y'all, I'm drunk af and I've been listening to meme rap with my friends all night and y'all gotta rec me more meme rap to get this party going

You better have played Shaq Diesel already

Deaf Grips
makes all parties better

sorry i only listen to REAL hiphop

ICP marathon

Check out Jeanne Lee's stuff

Lil Yachty
all rap guys love Chance too, so you can't go wrong there

Danny Brown
Play Kush Coma, Handstand and Radio Song specifically

>Implying Shaq Diesel isn't patrician af

>implying it's not both patrician and meme at the same time

did shamepai get kicked from daily discord or something
he's in chart discord and i don't know why

he posted some threads back asking to be unbanned from discord so I think so probably
but I have not been there in some time so I don't know

did everyone get kicked from daily plug or something

Give me the memes pronto.

Don't mess with me!

allahu akbar

Same.

b l a c k w o m a n
seriously sonny sharrock's wife is legendary

im not very knowledgeable on jazz with vocals since it's not my thing, but Sun Ra - Space Is the Place has a lot of singing too

space is the plaaaace
space is the plaaaace
space is the place yeaaah
space is the place

its way too catchy

discord has way too many rules desu
last time i checked it was like 4 walls of text

that Angus McLise album I'm listening to is too much spoken word and less indian influenced drumming. not a fan of that.

what should i listen to im stuck
anything is ok, im preferring free jazz atm tho

youtube.com/watch?v=6cB-IKnEDWw

Corn sold slow today and it rained hard which is always fucking shit under a bitch tent with holes in it.

I'm not man related but I gandered at the loaf nonetheless.

best post itt

yo
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/anthony_braxton/seven_compositions__trio__1989/

ok

Yeah I don't go on discord. Is it dramatic?

i mean it's shamepai so
ultimate sperg

Fuego, fuego. I meant discord

the chart discord apparently has calmed down
less memes and stuff

some composers like xenakis,scelsi. i want some unknown or living composers.

for example:

harley gaber

he's really dark. scelsi+feldman? not famous. he commited suicide in 2011. RIP.

I Saw My Mother Ascending Mount Fuji

this album combines modern classical + electronic drone.

Richard Barrett

one of my favorite composers. he's similar to xenakis.

michael levinas is also good!

do you know any other? recommend me

>Blu - Good to Be Home

Blu sounds surprisingly hungry on this record, which is refreshing. He's got some cool lines on here but the mixing is pretty awful at times.
At first, I hated it all but I actually like how the lo-fi aesthetic works with a few of the tracks, especially towards the beginning. It doesn't seem to be purposeful though, as some of the songs are super high quality and some sound like they were recorded next to a blender. Cut out ~5 tracks and make the mixing consistent, one way or the other (lo-fi or high quality) and this is a really solid hip-hop record. Instead it’s frustrating and average.

>Soulja Slim - Give It 2 Em Raw

One of the more consistent No Limit records I’ve found. Still about five tracks too long but that’s as good as it gets with this label desu. Dude had really impressive energy on the mic and a nice entertaining flow. Something about his voice captures my attention, even when he’s saying boring stuff. As far as subject matter goes, it seems to be pretty standard gangsta rap but it definitely gets the job done. Also, the beats on here are way more consistent than I’m used to from N.L so that’s a huge plus.

just dont take my kids

Holy moly it seems this Bowie project will render me some good writing, the review I wrote for The Man Who Sold the World is almost a thousand words.

Fire! Orchestra might be up your alley.
youtube.com/watch?v=-K_RJHOArRo

ded

I feel ya. Only cure for bad writing is more practice. I need more practice.

rly ded

John Coltrane - Bahia (July 11, 1958 - December 26, 1958)

Another lovely yet not-totally-satisfying album from Coltrane’s hard bop era. The last of the resurfaced Prestige recordings (following the release of A Love Supreme) features two recording dates and vrying musical accompaniment causing the album to feel discombobulated.

The album begins with the fantastic title track, Bahia. The fast yet spiritual beckon to his blues roots is powerful and enjoyable, and sets a bar that will never be reached again this album. The rest of the tracks are tame by comparison; boring even. I actually felt myself get a little frustrated by midway through the third track, waiting for it to pick back up. When the album ends, I couldn’t help but feel cheated; lured into a full album on the basis of one good track. It’s obvious to the listener that these are outtakes, lacking in inspiration and direction.

For the last of the released Prestige outtakes 7 years prior, it’s not surprisingly a snoozefest, and one that casual fans should avoid. For the die-hard Coltrane fans - the title track is certainly worth your time.

5.5 /10

WEW, made it through the fuckfest that is the Prestige Milking Every Dollar Collection™

Simply Saucer - Cyborgs Revisited (1989)
>proto-punk, garage rock

Interesting from a historical perspective for being the first production credit of Daniel Lanois (U2, Dylan, Eno, Emmylou Harris), but also a damn solid garage record in and of itself. Gets progressively less interesting the tamer it gets, but the more long-winded, spacey jams are incredible, amplified by the psychedelic, airy production from Lanois and his brother. The electronics do sometimes seem kinda half-baked and like they're in the album just to be there, but they add to the general atmosphere of the album decently. Not anything incredible, but a damn solid noisy garage
record.

3.0-

Michael Gregory Jackson - Clarity (1976)
>free jazz

So many talented musicians here, with Jackson and his incredible guitar work leading the pack, but this is so damn slick and inconsequential any positive effect the lovely, technical instrumentation could have is basically nullified. The compositions meander too much and are too cluttered, and not in a usual free jazz way, just in a really disorienting and irritating way. Pleasant enough, however, but such a middle-of-the-road album.

Black Woman, definitely.
like said, Jeanne Lee. Conspiracy is a good album.
Patty Waters' Sings is good too. vocal free jazz, if that sounds good to you.

Wow we really dead. To commemorate, I finally listened to some of the core Dead discography.

Anthem of the Sun was unexpectedly avant, with odd bits of dada, freakouts, and whatnot, while Aoxomoxoa was marginally more songwriting-focused. Plenty psych, but it yielded a few more satisfyingly catchy songs like "St. Stephen" and my personal favorite, "China Cat Sunflower." Shit you not I thought an AnCo song snuck into my copy when "What's Become of the Baby" started. The vocal resemblance is eerie.
>both are about a 7 in my book

Workingman's Dead is aptly titled, but I was prepared for the disappointment. Contemporary folk and country pop rock, moves at the same acid-time pace as their previous albums but lacks what made those interesting. At least a few songs are catchy. American Beauty is even more boring and even less catchy. "Truckin'" is of course a classic though.
>both these are squarely 5s

Nothing blew me away to be honest. Figured it's necessary listening though, especially for socializing with anyone important over the age of 60. Can't begin to tell ya how many CEOs n' shit are self-professed Deadheads. Every time, on the "About Me" slide they got that fuckin' logo.

The riff on Illegal Bodies is so good it should be illegal

btw here's a list of cool obscure shit.
rateyourmusic.com/list/StuffRodHeardAfterAugust/most-days-i-cannot-remember-i-walk-in-my-clothing-unmarked-by-that-voyage-discoveries-from-year-1/
nearly 200 releases to boost ur rym cred. you're welcome~

treatise was pretty good

slow focus was pretty good

oversteps felt exactly the same as before, ok

loved ministry of sound though, maybe new 8, going to listen to it a few more times

also listened to channel orange again, i think blonde is better honestly

Thanks, got some recs from there before, got some more just now
I honestly enjoy Mill's Live in Tokyo set a lot more than Frankie's Ministry of Sound set, but to each his own

Ah I see now, the chart doesn't include collabs like those w/ Hartman or Alice for example, I wasn't aware and it seemed something was missing there.
Wow! Those look bad!

wow u look bad

cool! hope you find something you like.
i know right?

You take that back my friend.

"""no"""

Please reconsider.

keep going.
fight.
fight over my love.

youtube.com/watch?v=CAMWdvo71ls

ok I'm rethinking my life choices

I'll probably do those after 2bh, I'm having fun with this chart.

Good meme, I listened to it.
Thanks for reconsidering.
I haven't done much outside the one with Johnny, which I love. I listened to the one with Alice one and I can't even remember much of it now. Haven't heard the one with Don Cherry either.

>Mill's Live in Tokyo
both are great, hard to chose a better one after only one listen but ministry seems favored rn

>François Tusques - La Maison Fille Du Soleil
A ghostly free jazz single (rare, eh?) featuring Don Cherry with one of the best trumpet performances I’ve ever heard from him, François Tusques on a rarely prominently featured and even then just pretty piano, and Bernard Fuerin on a quiet but expressive double bass. The bass sound us really the weirdest part of the whole thing if you key into it, and really helps establish the odd haunting atmosphere. Cherry's playing encompasses a few different noticeable styles over the 10 minute runtime, and is honestly just fantastic.

I only wish there were more.
>7/10

np
yea they're both top

>check my settings
>have it set to autofilter all tripfags
>they make up 90% of the posts itt
guess it's time to stop coming here

I really feel uncomfortable giving out two 10s within a week of each-other, but I think Violin Music for Supermarkets really deserves it. I'm a huge sucker for things that sound entirely unique though. I'll give it another few listens and write a legit review later. Maybe the shock value will wear off.

proper shitposting

Man I forgot how god damn good this album is. Reccing it to all.
youtube.com/watch?v=S0zvsdRY5Yk

sell me this album

Listen to the song. If you like it listen to the album.
Other reasons to listen:
MF Doom is on a track
Mixes glitch and hip hop seamlessly
Lot's of critical acclaim
Amon Tobin said it inspired one of his songs

hey guys i dont have a trip or anything and i havent been on mu in a while but here is a nice meme from my meme folder i hope you all enjoy

it's great