What were you doing when David Bowie died? How did you react?

What were you doing when David Bowie died? How did you react?

I was sleeping
My mum woke me up to tell me

i immediately posted a myopic status on facebook about how his death was really all about me and my connection to him.

I was jerking on your mother

I was driving back from parents listening to the radio and they made an announcement. I was pretty sad to be honest.

What was he trYing to convey in that image?

i was on Sup Forums posting "hell be fine" prior to the news

I was on his Facebook page a few minutes before they posted the time of death.

I thought it was a joke for about 20 minutes.

I was on Sup Forums when someone made a thread with a screenshot of the announcement like a minute after it was released. I was caught up in the hysteria and thought he was hacked. When it was undeniably true, I sat down and listened to Low. Still can't believe it to be honest. I had been listening to some of his songs earlier that day. Unfortunately I didn't listen to Blackstar until after though.

I legitimately teared up hearing about it on NPR.

I was in the car, heard it on the radio. Pretty sad, but I'm not a huge Bowie fan personally, so it wasn't as bad for me. Compared to when Chris Squire died, for example, it wasn't such a huge blow.

i read it on twitter and somehow i knew i was real, that day ive decided to go cd-shopping so i went out and bought Hunky Dory before universal bastards fuck the price up, i felt bad but no like to cry, oh and my ex mentally-breaked gf mesage me that day because she felt really bad about Bowie and we got back to talk again thanks to that(she dumped me again 2 months later)

so it was a wird day

I was watching Vinny's stream from Vinesauce, he was a huge Bowie fan and he was in near denial for about an hour.

>listened to Blackstar
>Heard Bowie died
>relistened to Blackstar

It made so much more sense, first time I've been actually shocked by an album

I had pulled an all nighter doing university coursework for a deadline when I saw the first announcement at 6am (UK Time). Didn't want to believe it at first but realised that it was true when it was announced by other posts.

I honeslty felt like I lost something inside me when I saw the news.

watchin a twitch stream kinda sad

i just couldn't get to sleep so i got back up on my computer
proceeded to cry and listen to most of his discog

I was listening to Blackstar when I found out, it was really weird. I went into work, put on my headphones and brought up my internet browser to start the day and it was on the frontpage. I told everyone in my office and no one was really that upset.

About to do swipe across his face and reveal an entirely different face.

I had been listening to Blackstar all weekend, so when the news finally broke it was like a sudden revelation. First celebrity death that really affected me tbqh.

It's cool to complain about people mourning their heroes now. You guys are now the majority find a new way to be edgy!

I was on Sup Forums at the time and someone mentioned it on another board. I was like "that sucks".

Not sure what I was doing exactly when he died, but I was in bed and decided to go on Sup Forums thirty minutes after the news broke. I was confused as shit as to why Space Oddity was playing until I saw the sticky. Went to CNN and stared in shock for about two minutes. Came back to Sup Forums and read through the sticky for about ten minutes. Turned off my laptop and listened to "Heroes" before falling asleep halfway through the title track when it started to play for the second time. Woke up and checked CNN to see if I had a bad dream. When I realized it was real I cried in the shower.

I was driving home from work and went on Sup Forums to talk about Blackstar. I audibly went "fuuuuuuuck maaaaan" after seeing the thread. I was listening to Five Years.

I regret so much not being into Bowie that much and most of all not having heard Blackstar before his death. That must have been an amazing artistic twist.

I was at work bullshitting with my coworkers when I saw the news on Sup Forums and after I verified it was real I had to sit down for a bit. It was very shocking. About a hour later my office was notified that is was being shut down, so it was a very shitty day.

I pretended to cry and listened to Low for the first time.

That was the day that I became a Bowie fan for a week until everybody had forgotten about his death.

Damn,

Ah, thanks user.

i just guessed

Oh.

really makes you think

this
what an experience...his death was the most touching, and he wasn't even one of my favorite artists

I remember the weekend before his death listening to BlackStar and later talking to my dad about it. Talking to him about how it was a new age for Bowie and how we were excited to see if he would bring anything more out.
When I heard he died the album made a bit more sense
On the way to college I got a phone call from a friend I hadn't spoken to in years about Bowie. We had bonded over Bowie and had had many an argument about how to pronounce his name and his greatest piece of work
I never felt the need to cry over Bowie's death but it definitely took an emotional toll on me

I woke up
checked Sup Forums
saw threads about his death
felt bad for a few secs
and then I moved on with my life

it was the day before my birthday, worst fucking present ever.

I was doing nothing and I got a notification saying he died I closed it and didn't give a shit.

Believe it or not I was actually on Sup Forums when I heard the news. Somebody had actually started a thread and being this is 4 Chan I thought it was a hoax so I googled it and at first there was nothing until I saw more posts on Sup Forums and googled it again. When I saw the NY Times page announcing his death I knew that it was true. I was sad got drunk and played the Ziggy Stardust motion picture soundtrack. (Bowie at his best IMHO)

Was about to go to sleep until I saw the news. I fucking bawled desu stayed up all night listening to Ziggy stardust and Blackstar. Because at the moment in time Blackstar all made sense cause the lyrics were pretty cryptic when he was still alive

Browsing Sup Forums around 11 at night when someone posted the screenshot of his facebook announcing the death. I waited around half shocked and half skeptical until it was confirmed, then I put Starman on repeat until I fell asleep.

he was fixing his hair, it's part of a whole photoset

i had just woken up and was listening to motorhead because lemmy was dead when my friend texted me

Just got out of the shower and read the news while blow drying my jewfro-like hair.
Listened to Low while being sad about his death.

I was about to go to sleep and I was listening to the ambient side of heroes (once blackstar dropped I was in a real Bowie listening streak) and I found out the news as Sense of Doubt played. Unfortunately fitting coincidence.

same

See

I was discussing music with my uncle and had a look over at Reuters on my phone.
needless to say it interrupted our discussion

>I found out the news as Sense of Doubt played.
that sounds very unpleasant

I was listening to girl loves me, then went to youtube to and was watching the blackstar video at that current time. That notification made me freeze.

surreal

>Fox News

it was like 5 am where i live(brazil),and just finished jerking off(sorry) and went on twitter and saw the news "david bowie died..",and i was just like "no way man,this must be a joke or something else",but it was actually true. i probably listened to "changes" afterwards

Pretty much my story. I found out right here. It was so soon that if you googled "David Bowie", his death wasn't the top news story. I think I even listened to Low that night. I listened to Ziggy Stardust at work the next day. I haven't listened to Blackstar yet.

Eating breakfast at a cafe. Was getting ready to go to class. I opened mu and there was a press F to pay respects thread with 1000+ replies

I was on Sup Forums lurking and being NEET as fuck.

Playing Dark Souls. I had just beaten Seathe the Scaleless.

I woke up that Monday morning to the people on the radio talking about it. Shitty way to start my day.

i was squat in stone yert boiling banana when jöhto ring

'dav boogie is died'

'no'

>>/ylilauta/

Was getting drunk and then saw the news. Then drinked more

me too
i drove to class and heroes came on the radio
then i cried
and cried
and got to class and cried with my friends and teachers
yeah it was really eye opening

hva

I don't remember because it wasn't a significant event at all.

Yeah it was fitting but in a very unpleasant way. Seeing as I'm a massive Bowie fan it was hard to listen to that song for a while without a pit of dread in my stomach

Watch that edge

Same. I still hate when he shills his shitty music though. Whatever makes him happy.

Trolling Bernie Sanders supporters by talking about niggers

>celebrity died
omg so significant i remember what I was doing xD
Everyone over a certain age remembers what they were doing when 9/11 happened, everyone over a certain age remembers what they were doing when the moon landings happened, everyone over a certain age remembers what they were doing when JFK was assassinated. It's only epoch defining events which are so calamitous that they permanently imprint the personal circumstances of how one has heard about it, and where one is upon the memory. A celebrity's death is not epochal, it is a commonly occurring event with few wide ranging consequences.

I woke up and it was on CNN. I was sad. I felt empty the whole day. Especially because all of the teachers played Space Oddity and Life On Mars before they started their lessons. Nobody else really knew who he was so I was the only one who was sad. I didn't talk to anybody the whole day. Not even my friends. So I came home and started going on a David Bowie binge.

I'm still on my David Bowie binge.

It's emotionally significant to the individual mr autist

I was taking a shit. When I overheard the TV announcer say that David Bowie was dead I laughed with glee which expelled the shit rather forcefully from my anus with a satisfying plop. Good times.

>my mother died today
>lol dude tons of mothers die every day it's completely insignificant

I know you think it's cool to not have empathy but really it just makes you unlikable. I know you don't care what others think because your just that awesome but maybe give empathy a shot, makes life better.

So Mr. Bowie was a close friend/family member of yours and most other people ITT then?
It's emotionally significant to individuals endowed with a close relationship to the artist, it's not emotionally significant to some autistic fanboy who's never met Mr. Bowie.

See

This

An artist expresses emotion through his music, the emotion in his music resonates in the listener. The listener feels a connection to the artist. Sometimes it can even be a very close connection.
You're not gonna autism your way out of this one.

I was on Sup Forums and then went and woke up my parents to tell them
They told me not to do that the next day

Waiting for my bus listening to all of Heroes. Dad ran out to tell me and I couldn't believe it. I had just gotten in to Bowie, then he died.

I was just eating some smegma butter and chillinh

And you feel the same level of emotional connection to a musician as you do to a close friend or family member?

Has anybody ever inspired you? Artistically or otherwise? Can you really not see how a person you don't know but respect greatlys death could make somebody sad nobody is acting like he's their friend theyre just effected by,his death.

>It's emotionally significant to individuals endowed with a close relationship to the artist, it's not emotionally significant to some autistic fanboy who's never met Mr. Bowie.

Brother I know my feelings better than you.
Also the existence of this thread alone is the literal proof that you are wrong. I hope this is bait though because if you really can't comprehend that the death of a famous person might be emotionally impactful for a person, you must be a real fucking autist.

No, I'm not that user. I didn't cry like a little bitch when he died, but I loved his music and listened to it through several periods of my life. He was a fairly big, not huge, influence on my own creative work. That's why it was very sad for me to see him go.

i don't know but i had been listening to him a lot the days prior and when my friend told me he died over text message i thought he was joking
so basically
>david is kill
>no

Nigga some people feel more connected to a musician than a member of their family, not every one was born into a model family where everybody loves each other holy shit.

Asleep. Woke up to check the TV news as I always do and then I found out. Felt shitty all day.

I didn't mean to say that everyone would feel a strong emotional attachment to their family members, rather I used it as an example of someone whom people might form a strong emotional attachment to.
What I'm surprised by is that people might form such a strong emotional attachment to what is essentially an internal fictional version of a person based on an illusory public persona.

I remember I had to get up early, like 6 AM to go do something. It was really cold outside, there was a lot of snow but the sun was shining. When I came back I spent the whole sunny winter morning listening to his songs and watching some live performances. It was a sad kind of comfy

The last time I listened to Blackstar before his death was on his birthday, and I had a bit of a morbid thought about how the internet was going to flip its shit over his death when he died.
The last song I listened to before word was on the net was Lazarus. I'd listened to Outside that morning.

Lamely, I was watching a twitch stream when the news broke, and I informed everyone in the chat. People thought I was trolling, but immediately when the streamer looked for himself, he burst into tears and started playing Starman.

I was listening to Lazarus and my brother burst into my room and told me. I had the next couple days off and upon waking up I'd immediately get wasted and listeni to Bowie.

>how did you react
I said "that really sucks" stumbled onto Starman and decided to check out his albums the following weeks after.

Glad I did.

You know, I can't actually remember. This entire year seems to have merged together into some weird blur.

>all events regarding north america
this aint any less shallow than death of the pop star
fuck your country my man

I was at at DJ Khaled show in Orange County when my girlfriend texted me sad at the news. I was too bummed and left the show early.

this very exact thing happened to me
i was listening to blackstar the night before. really sad

I woke up in the middle of the night and saw the news and wanted to call my ex and comfort her because he was her favorite but I couldn't.

Talking with my gf. She told me about the news.

I woke up to see an artist I follow on IG do a rendition of him, then saw more and more posts about him, and then I listened to Blackstar because I felt that was the right thing to do. Then I dedicated the whole week to finally listening to his entire discography from start to finish.

Also I'm listening to Scary Monsters right now.

I was on Sup Forums, had just made a thread talking about how Heroes was so good. He died like 3 minutes after I posted it. First reply- "He died"
My reply was "No? He just released a new album a few days ago."
And then I checked the catalog. Reminder that Buddha was his best album.