The Clipping record leaked and holy shit it's a space opera

The Clipping record leaked and holy shit it's a space opera.

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#!WtVymZjC!NaU1Hdhts0bcL-POL6ES5ovsxqRk43IqlQBWT-iRwG8
megamart.subpop.com/releases/clipping/splendor_and_misery
youtube.com/watch?v=5msWb1l2j6g).
youtube.com/watch?v=f1nPKugMby0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

damn...

it's been leaked for about 100 years now

There's an actual fucking space sea shanty in here.

And a numbers station.

And space ghetto piracy.

And a blurred vision of space ships and slave ships.

And space-Vietnam war songs.

This might well distract me from unpacking the Bon Iver record for a bit. It's some Joanna Newsom level stuff.

which song is the sea shanty?

also is there a leak better than the 128 yet?

where can I get it?
link pls

Long Way Away.

It's on what.

is the what upload 320? not a transcode?

yeah got uploaded by a v reputable source, sick album. hopefully one of these goons who can upload it, will for the archive

Is it good bruhs?

damn. hope a kind soul from what can upload it here

it's pretty fucking good honestly. way more instrumental. the story is told in a way that it doesnt seem lame and corny. they did a great job on execution

I like it but find it disappointing compared to CLPPNG.

There just aren't enough *actual* songs on here... some of the interludes are cool, but come on. Just too many of them - the ratio to interludes to songs is way too high.

Also I dislike "Story 5". Just sounds cheesy and awkward. "A Long Way Away" is better but still... meeh... I liked it more when they just included it in other songs.

However most of the other proper songs are fucking dope. "All Black", "Wake Up", "Baby Don't Sleep" and "A Better Place" all being great.

you just dont get it

Link?

you seem like the kinda person who doesn't really like The Roots, or rather their more recent output of albums

I agree, lots of stuff that I wont listen to more than once or twice, story 5 is shit but the ones you listed there are some of their best work yet

TBF I've had it for a day and I don't fully understand the story.

I don't really get what's going on in "Break the Glass". What glass is he breaking? I like the rest of the song, all about the existentialism of a man lost in space.

I do like it, but meeeeeeh... I just wish there was more actual proper music here instead of just these weird single ideas that would be OK for the tags at the end / start of a song, but are a poor substitute for the songs themselves ("Long Way Away (Instrumental)" is one of the worst IMO).

Also I uploaded the album. It's not 320 it's v0 though.

It's a reasonable thing to be disappointed by.

It's a concept album (or close to one), and in adding the interludes to build the atmosphere and making the storytelling concise and complete it sacrifices the potential for The New Clipping Record to have been a longer album of heterogeneous songs.

The longer songs are great on their own and we would be very happy to have had an album of 15 of them. That said I'm a sucker for a well-executed concept record and am really into it already.

If you don't enjoy unpacking lyrics, motifs, themes, metaphors and abstractions, and dislike not being able to get at all the meaning from the surface of the record then you won't enjoy it. That's not a criticism of people who enjoy records another way, it's just the approach you take to your own enjoyment of a thing.

Here, I fucked it up but now I think I've did it.

mega.nz/#!WtVymZjC!NaU1Hdhts0bcL-POL6ES5ovsxqRk43IqlQBWT-iRwG8

what did you fuck up? not the quality or anything right?

Nah upload should be fine, just couldn't upload it at first because I've never used Mega and it's a weird website.

>It's not 320 it's v0 though.

what's the difference? I need to know. will v0 sound as good as 320?

please respond

It's a matter of argument. Some audiophiles will probably claim 320 sounds better, but the general consensus is that 320 v v0 is "transparent" (i.e., you can't tell the difference).

Basically, v0 is "variable bitrate", but it's the best variable bitrate and basically just culls the unused frequencies in a 320 encode - that is, the bits where the song doesn't use certain frequencies, the song is lower bitrate, whereas if a bit of the song needs 320 kbps it will utilise them.

>Unpacking
Why do people use that word that way? This image was the first time I had ever seen it used as a synonym for "analyze", so it always reminds me of it, leading to personal bias, but it seems kinda like a weird word to use in general.

I imagine a claustrophobic man trapped in an airlock beating on the glass trying to get out into open space (in a literal space ship this is also a suicidal move). With the album cover image of the spaceman in slave-ship shackles you can see a few sides of a will to break out.

thank you

It makes sense to me.

Because if you think about it, if you read something complicated, a lot of the process of understanding it comes to a sort of metaphorical "unpacking" - that is, "deabstraction".

Like, go on some complicated page on Wikipedia. Every weird word that you don't understand is really like a box of meaning that you have to understand by "unpacking" it. And maybe in that word there are more words you have to "unpack", and then once you understand everything, you can "unpack" a word on the fly.

#based

I can't speak for anybody else (especially not the person giving that presentation) but I use "unpacking" because it lacks the scientific, psychological and methodical connotations of "analysis".

Unpacking suggests that there are a lot of things 'packed' into something, and that you can try to pull them out and separate them, in a similar way to analysis, but in a less formal way. You see something (a metaphor, an idea, an image, a feeling), reach for it and try to untangle it from the rest of the work.

WARNING

MOTHER SHIP REPORTING

definition 4

A better place sounds like shit in isolation, but in context of the rest of the album it sound so good

that's for nerds tho

Will p4k pretend this is about the blm movement? I guess only if they give it a good score, which they probably wont considering the CLPNNG pan

Specifically, it could be the same passenger who wakes from cryosleep in "The Breach" and tries to break out of the [slaver?] space ship who is trying to break the glass.

The announcer notes the passenger's rise in endorphins that are "often linked to violence and are critical to manage", which sort of suggests the hysteria around the fear of how black men slaves, selected for their strength, might behave if they were not pacified by their masters, brought to Christianity, and put to work.

In All Black though, the passenger, who is referred to as "cargo" commandeers the ship.

Same as in Breach where the cargo escapes. Imagine a slave ship (traditional sea-faring) with an escaped slave taking control of the ship. I feel that's this but in space with all the paranoia of being trapped in alone in space. The slave here may have had a specific purpose for his destination but I dunno I'm still trying to catch the lyrics

This is my first Clipping album and I'm fucking loving it and it's not even my usual kinda genre. On Long Way Away now, got suggestions after I'm done with this?

Lol

At the end of Breach the announcement computer changes its mind and decides that the "cargo" is not a threat, and that "this love will not be fucked with", suggesting he's formed some sort of relationship with it.

The track A Better Place suggests that there's no specific destination to his journey "remember the darkness will show you the way". He's going out into the unknown, into the All Black and the paranoia has passed (and maybe his illusion of love too?)

Just found the last paragraph of the album description on Sub Pop. Along the right lines.

megamart.subpop.com/releases/clipping/splendor_and_misery

There are only two more albums; midcity and CLPPNG. There's also a couple of EPs but I think "Wriggle" is really the only substantial once.

You'll probably like CLPPNG the most. Wriggle is similar but not as good (though the title track is a FUCKING BANGER youtube.com/watch?v=5msWb1l2j6g).

Whoah I missed this entirely. They sampled Whitehouse? Fuck yeah

I don't know, aside from that hip azn women, I also think of someone unpacking a suitcase. I u freestanding that a sentence could have multiple meanings or connotations to "take out of it" as if the sentence was the suitcase or the container you're unpacking, but it's kind of a stretch, and gives me a "bad taste, at least on a purely personal level.
Analyze or examine, or even dissect, is more likely to be understood since common people actually use and hear those words though.
I wonder when that definition cane around. It feels new.

>all black everything

>it's a loooong wayyy awayyyyy
>it's a loooong wayyy awayyyyy
>and i'm aloneee alonnng the looong long wayyyy

*and i'm all aloneee

>"unpacking"

Kill yourself

Cringy album art

youtube.com/watch?v=f1nPKugMby0

Other three EPs are good too.

Why?

The harder rappers try to convince me they're intelligent, the less intelligent I think they are

Yeah, I've a mixed feeling about this album so far.
A Better Place is amazing though and I'm absolutely loving sound design on that one.

>It's some Joanna Newsom level stuff.
You very obviously do not know anything about music theory

that's cool bro but what does that have to do with clipping.?

I think he meant the lyrics/concept