ITT: "I'm only into groundbreaking innovative experimental music...

ITT: "I'm only into groundbreaking innovative experimental music, none of that bland generic crap that brings nothing new to the table."

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2dZbAFmnRVA
youtube.com/watch?v=YGQKGpjl1Fg
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

That album is better than whatever you listen to
Not to say it's not entry level though

can is entry level

I used to be this way. Indeed, I was a fool.

One of the most interesting things Ledesma has put out. Hope he does more collabs like this in the future.

dont care about the experimental shit, just listen for the dope jams

It's really great though

The grooves are superb

Can has some great shit. So does Sting and so did the Platters.

it's funny that you can identify grimesfags just by the way that they write

I don't get why people say this is so experimental
It's chill as shit and the tracks Aumng and Peking O are pretty hilarious.

I think you don't understand what experimental is

So, can one of you patricians enlighten me, what is so great about Can and especially Tago Mago? I don't get them. What did they invent?

SAHCHINFAWHMABLAHCKHHDAWWWW

listen to this
youtube.com/watch?v=2dZbAFmnRVA
or this
youtube.com/watch?v=YGQKGpjl1Fg

if you still don't get it though, they just played really tight yet jammy psych rock that was both catchy/accessible, and complex/technical. the musicians pretty much all either studied jazz or classical at music school, so they were all insanely talented (especially jaki). most of their music was either entirely or partially improvised (a la jazz).

>the musicians pretty much all either studied jazz or classical at music school, so they were all insanely talented
please die

semantics semantics semantics. replace the the 'so' with an 'and'. are you happy now?
also,
>implying that musical proficiency doesn't correlate with musical education.
i bet you told yourself you didn't get good grades because you simply weren't interested in the topics

YESIAM

What's with Sup Forums's obsession with calling anything that isn't field recordings of melting ice "entry level?" No, it's not the most complex, avant garde record. Tago Mago is not accessible to the average person. If you think it is, you ought to get out more.

That said, OP is shitty bait. You can enjoy the album without being a pretentious try hard.

Most of their stuff wouldn't seem particularly weird to anybody who listens to something like Radiohead. They're accessible at least in the context of "people who care about music" I would think

How about the second half of Tago Mago with tracks like Augmn and Peking O? What is there to "get" in these tracks? What did they invent? Doesn't really sound like jammy psych rock that is catch or accessible to me.

Sure. Play Aumgn for the average person and let me know how long their patience lasts. You've spent too much time on this board dude. You seriously need to get out more.

the weird part of tago mago is a pretty unique part of their discog. they never do anything like that again on any of their other albums. t b h i've never been a huge fan of those songs, but i can still respect them as a weird, experimental freakout. i'm pretty sure tago mago is a loose concept album about a psychedelic trip. (hence why the last song is called "bring me coffee or tea") i've always seen that part of the album as the batshit crazy peak of the trip. i'm pretty sure they were just high off their asses and they wanted to make some weird Stockhausen-inspired sounds. i don't think there was any deeper meaning.

but like i said, those weird ambient tracks are really a small minority in the grand scope of the music that can made.

>What did they invent
it wasn't a matter of invention. it was a matter of perfection.

Ok then, let's hear your recommendations.

Many generic bands were influenced by Can, mostly 80s british bands, post-punk and all that. It´s like the VU or the Stooges

People that don't ""get"" Augmn are too impatient/have a short attention span. The song is actually pretty well structured and has some amazing percusion, but it develops slowly, like snail-paced slow. You just have to keep focused.

Peking O is actually pretty crazy at that part with the barking dogs, but there is some value there too.

Every time I try to talk to people about Peking O, the focus is always on Damo's frantic rambling and never the amazing and demonic last 3 minutes. One of the highest points in the album imo

this.

Can was cool when I was in high school... in the 90s and nobody else had ever heard of them. They're nothing special any more though.

>i'm pretty sure tago mago is a loose concept album about a psychedelic trip

I'll probably listen to Tago Mago again with this in mind. Makes more sense. I should probably also check out the rest of their discography then because I liked Halleluwah for example.

Almost every krautrock album I've listened to so far has had these parts I just don't get. Like the song "Sonderangebot" on NEU!'s first album for example. The rest of the album was enjoyable and I understood what they were trying to create.

While we're already talking krautrock, why the fuck is this so unknown and underrated? This album is amazing

yeah man if you like the jammy stuff, but you're not a fan of the super weird noisy stuff, then you should definitely check out pic related, future days, and monster movie.

I've been meaning to listen to the rest of Krautrock aside from the basics, and I'm going to start with your rec. Ty user.
Mostly right, but Soup wanders a bit. I like it a lot, but there are hints of Augmn in that song.

Future Days has very long songs but they are mmore straightforward.

N.V. by Dragged Into Sunlight / Gnaw Their Tongues

If you think it's just depraved, you're not getting it.

How can someone be a fan of a "super weird noisy stuff"

people like different things

"super weird noisy stuff" is what our little sisters say to us about Sup Forumscore that they can hear being played by user. dipshit 'git on his lvl'

Sure edgy kid, you guys talking about music like that pink Floyd album Ummagumma, which even them called it a piece of shit?

That album really isn't that good.

>ITT: "I'm only into groundbreaking innovative experimental music, none of that bland generic crap that brings nothing new to the table."

super weird noisy stuff is fun
and you're like damn, those sounds are top-notch, if they are

>field recordings of melting ice
that album is shit, fug off
super parmeson partriciaion reporting in here

Also they were pioneers in terms of studio work. Their songs are made up of long jam sessions stitched together through tape edits.

They basically jammed for hours on certain ideas and then sampled themselves to make a song. Of course this isn't something you could pick up on from listening to the song blind, but its a very important innovation

I don't think you belong here user

neat. i wasn't aware of this. i know this was how bitches brew and remain in light were recorded. that's cool that can took the same approach

I know several Radiohead fans who couldn't stand the vocals on Tago Mago. You're forgetting that while Radiohead are somewhat experimental, alot of their songs are not abrasive in the way the songs on Tago Mago are, especially the last two.

I've had the same idea about it being a concept album about taking shrooms. The front cover is someone taking shrooms (and the fact that the shroom is the same stuff as his brain gives you a hint as to how Can felt about psychedelics). Then in the tracklisting Mushroom is when he takes the Shrooms. Oh Yeah and Halluweah are supposed to be orgasmic drug induced pleasure and Amugn and Peaking O are violent hallucinations. Bring me Coffee or Tea is when he comes down.

yeah this is pretty much how i interpreted it as well. idk if there's solid proof anywhere, but between the cover, the title/sequence of the tracks, and the progression of the sound, i'd say it's a pretty safe bet.

Are you telling me there are people who didn't and don't get this?

Please enlighten us the wise one.

Enlighten? It's all been said. What in the world did you think "Bring Me Coffee Or Tea" meant when it was the last track of a strange second half.

Not that guy, but that means fucking nothing. Kraftwerk have denounced their first three albums, despite them being awesome krautrock albums.

It likely goes without saying but Sup Forums is quite frighteningly out of touch. It's amazing what you people think will be embraced by the average pop listener. Maybe Merriweather Post Pavilion is "entry level" and "accessible" by the standards of a board that seriously believes Death Grips are on par with Lil Jon but if you think the average schmuck could enjoy it like they enjoy The Beach Boys you're a fool.

so you're agreeing with what we've been saying?

Yes. My initial post was "are you telling me there are people who didn't and don't get [the fact that Tago Mago is a drug trip?"]

We were on the wrong page, my bad.

oh, right on

Tbh I just like the album for what it is.

Peking O is just a great song in general

'Entry-level' as a term used to describe Tago Mago doesn't really describe the challenge of listening to the album but rather the album's state as one of the first albums people check out in experimental rock. It's the one you enter with. Sure, plenty of people are turned off and turn back, but they started here, or somewhere comparable. For example, Trout Mask Replica is entry-level, even though it presents a significant barrier to entry, because it has always been recognized as a classic.

What are some of your favorite non entry level experimental rock and avant garde albums?

Out of the Krautrock set I like Popol Vuh's In den Garten Pharaos a lot. Agape-Agape-Love-Love too. Here's a jazz rec - Bennie Maupin - The Jewel in the Lotus.

if he told you they wouldn't be non-entry level any more.

was meant for
but they're not really favorites. My faves perhaps could realistically be thought of as entry-level, but that isn't to say that I haven't explored beyond them. I don't want to fall for ur rhetorical trick where u label my faves as entry-level tho.

Thank you.

I don't want to label anything, I just want some new music to listen to. And do you seriously think that a band is suddenly become mainstream because someone talked about them on a Chinese cartoon image board?

Is suddenly going to become*

ok whatever, well check out
Can from Monster Movie to Soon Over Babaluma
Boredoms - Super Ae and Vision Creation Newsun
(Harmonia, Neu!, Cluster, Faust, Kraftwerk, Popol Vuh)'s discographies
Fennesz- Endless Summer
Fela Kuti - Confusion/Gentlemen
some more stuff there hopefully it's new to you

Thank you (but for real this time).

if van gough said starry night was shit would that make it shit?