Any of you guys have a recommendation for synth I can start out with? I want it to be polyphonic...

Any of you guys have a recommendation for synth I can start out with? I want it to be polyphonic, so that I can play chords (I honestly don't get the point of having a monophonic synth), and I want something I can grow into. And something that I can use as a MIDI controller, and something that I can hook up to the computer and record the sounds I create (not just MIDI control for notation, but also being able to record the sounds from my synth, if that makes sense).
Wanting to make ambient M83 style post rock. Think Lower Your Eyelids to Die with the Sun.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=oTFpMYhRbkQ
youtube.com/watch?v=Gq7MCmlof04
youtube.com/watch?v=pupk8y9kit4
youtube.com/watch?v=2hmpTeA1aKk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

just by reading the post you sound like you're getting way in over your head

And something that allows me to learn synthesis fairly easily as well, would be great.

How so?

polyphony isn't realistic in a modular system unless you want to shell out the big dough. If you've never bought a synth before by one with a keyboard that sends cv out so you can use it with a modular system down the road. Microbrute is good but it's monophonic. I think the akai timbre wolf is monophonic but don't know if it send cv out.

>>>
>Anonymous 09/02/16(Fri)05:32:30 No.67
sorry I mean akai timbre wolf is polyphonic

polyphonic's gonna be hella expensive. I'd recommend a good place to start is the microbrute or minibrute.

Korg Minilogue maybe?
But I'd get into the basics of subtractive synthesis first, it's not hard.

what are some interesting youtube videos on modular synths

I wouldn't bother with it OP. Unless you've got assburgers, or fuck tons of money, the novelty will wear off really quickly. Also, everything you can do with a hardware synth you can do with a regular soft synth.

Plus the hardware/vintage synth community is one of the worst in the world. Full of pretentious, fat, balding, 50 something year old goobers who horde this shit just because tweaking shitty sounds triggers their ASMR.

if you're wanting to learn synthesis you should probably learn with a soft synth.

let me get this straight. people spend thousands on these things just to make sounds that sound like an 80s video game system?

youtube.com/watch?v=oTFpMYhRbkQ

tee bee haich I'd do that if I was a millionaire too

Any advice on a good soft synth?

What about the Minilogue?

>just because tweaking shitty sounds triggers their ADSR.
Ftfy

No, there's a TON you can do with them. Throw some modulation in there, and you can get almost any sound you'd ever want.

Check out Lower Your Eyelids to Die with the Sun (song OP mentioned).

Answers would be appreciated. I'd like to know as well.

kek

iv been using serum for just about everything since it came out. it has just about anything you need from a synth plus the custom wavetables is really fun.

As a beginner soft synth, Synth1 I've heard is a good freebie to start learning on. If you wanna pirate something, or wanna spend dollar, then Serum is a good synth for both beginners and people who know what they're doing. It's easy to use and it's fucking powerful once you get to know your way around it.

are there any good vst synths that I can play around with

What about between Serum and getting the Korg Minilogue? Which would be the better option? I'd love to have an analog synth I could use for live settings too, if possible.

>akai timbre wolf
Stop listening to this guy, that is the worst drum machine on earth. No one should ever mention that shitbox without a disclaimer.

OP - stop being a faggot and just buy a cheap midi controller and learn how synthesis works with VSTs. If you git gud, then you can waste some money on hardware.
Pic related, my setup.
And here's the last thing I recorded with it.

youtube.com/watch?v=Gq7MCmlof04

kek, alright that sounds pretty good. I'll stop being a faggot, and I'll get a good Midi. Any advice on a good one to start with?

If I were you I would get serum but if you're really not sure you should pirate or try the demo for serum and see if you like it. It seems like you dont know shit and a soft synth is way easier to learn

I really recommend getting one of arturia's synth/midi controllers. This is because they come with Analog Lab, and Analog Lab 2 for free download once you purchase. These programs have thousands of alterable synth presets which you can send to your midi. Have a look at these vids:
youtube.com/watch?v=pupk8y9kit4
youtube.com/watch?v=2hmpTeA1aKk
This is very powerful software, with much more variety than if you just bought a single expensive synth.
I was thinking of getting the Arturia Minilab, because it comes with analog lab, and has 8 or so drum pads and lots of assignable knobs. It's cheap, too (

forgot to mention, the minilab is a soft synth/midi combo.

Also forgot to mention, you can use the analog lab software standalone to play around and familiarise yourself with it etc, but you can use it as a vst in your DAW.

Anything cheap with keys on ity will do. Get something with dials to twiddle also.
They Oxygen 25 (keyboard in previous pic) is a good place to start.

Performance or information?