>finally learnt music theory
>feel restricted by all the rules
>completely removed my creativity
Don't make the same mistake I did.

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/darknetmarkets
reddit.com/r/darknetmarketsnoobs
youtube.com/watch?v=02nBRDcUGNU
monoskop.org/images/d/da/Schoenberg_Arnold_Fundamentals_of_Musical_Composition_no_OCR.pdf
dmu.uem.br/aulas/analise/Kostka_MaterialsTechniquesXXCenturyMusic.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=IPlHTZ_-xbM&list=PLdLiRaajwSXRNjebKUboHcGegVmKZJqKQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

meme classic

so if I posted a chord progression you could do a Roman numeral analysis of it?

>so if I posted a chord progression you could do a Roman numeral analysis of it?
Yes. Go ahead, kid. I dare you.

falseflag or truth to it?

Absolute meme

i wanna go back Sup Forums

i dont understand this meme.
should i turn back now or delve deeper?

try drugs

>he fell for the theory meme

It's still a theory for a reason, user

tfw dont know where to get drugs and dont know anyone who takes/deals them

>Rules are made to be broken

Let's just think critically about this for a moment shall we?

>What are your options for songwriting if you don't understand any theory?
Option 1- Dick around randomly until you accidentally stumble upon something that sounds good

>Now what are your options if you have studied theory?
Option 1- Dick around randomly until you accidentally stumble upon something that sounds good

Option 2- Try out different sound based on years of established tradition to see if that gives you the sound you're looking for

Conclusion-
"Theory limits creativity" is just a meme spread by people who use it as an excuse to not learn theory and therefore don't understand what "theory" actually is. Learning theory doesn't take away the option of writing music by trial and error, it just gives you another set of tools and options to use when you write music.

there are literally subreddits that will take you through it step by step

Just do it.

£€¥¥£₩$&@#

which ones

t. plebe

FUCK WITH THE FORMULA BRIAN

so true
don't do this, clueless naive anons
I can explain Bach now, and yet can't write even remotely as good as my 16 year old self. Things seem to work better when I somehow manage to throw away all my 'baggage' and simply enjoy

write "how to get drugs reddit" into google you pleb

reddit.com/r/darknetmarkets
reddit.com/r/darknetmarketsnoobs
stay safe kids

>learn music theory
>realize most music is the same boring interval major chord jumps

/r/darknetmarkets
/r/darknetmarketsnoobs

Christ, get fucked.

Nice try, feds

dam i nearly got him

yeah, cause chord progressions are just a small part of making music.

efrim menuck doesn't know shit about theory and he's doing pretty well for himself

>inb4 lelelelle godspeed is le shit I only listen to Tibetan throat singing and uzbeki classical

You must be 18 years or older to post on Sup Forums

You're all fucking idiots. Music theory isn't a set of rules, it's just descriptions. It isn't hindering your creativity, you're just being lazy and blaming it on learning theory.

That being sad, even if you do incorrectly view it as a set of rules, most things that don't sound like shit are gonna be "correct" anyway, so don't worry about it. Just play

that's super entry level lol

D A R K N E T
A
R
K
N
E
T

chords are such a tiny part of music.

mfw

not if you're a shitty bedroom guitarist ;)

>most things that don't sound like shit are gonna be "correct" anyway, so don't worry about it. Just play
yes, however you have to understand that not every man can learn certain descriptions and then apply his knowledge with great consideration, moreover understand where it's needed and not, especially we talk about young people that are typically not as forethoughtful.

Learn the pentatonic scale and start doing melodies friends :)

Or if electric guitar, get an interface + cracked FL studio + guitar rig and start experimenting with your guitar tone.
Or just guitar pedals if you're rich

I've got just the vid for you OP!

>youtube.com/watch?v=02nBRDcUGNU

>subscribed to this guy a year ago, planning to finally learn theory
>been putting it off and procrastinating this whole time

shit

What's a good way to learn structure/compositional theory and skip the faggot note shit?

im 24

sorry for obeying the fucking rules when i was growing up, you faggot

This guy is like literally the best youtuber ever.

obviously. everything related to music just takes practice. don't stress, just work on it. you'll probably come up with something really cool along the way

You're either a mindless sheep, have no natural creativity, or both.

Theory simply gives your natural creativity more options. Without that creativity, it is useless for writing music, only for analysis or conducting/performing.

check this
monoskop.org/images/d/da/Schoenberg_Arnold_Fundamentals_of_Musical_Composition_no_OCR.pdf

Read books on "form", "musical form" "form in music" etc.

some old master even said that you can understand why music works without teachers and books if you are curious and spirited enough, since these are laws of nature, not of man

>follows rules
>calls others faggot

don't post my anime gf on this board again

thank you

Because he got good with option 1. Imagine if he had both

im gay

we're allowed to

I'd bet you took one music theory class at your shitty college and now you're using it as a scapegoat for your lack of talent

the darknet friendo
literally get good quality drugs in your mail

S

lemme guess, the "theory" you learned was bach-inspired circle of fifths shit, voice leading and all that

that's just the stuff they teach you so you can have a context when the rules are broken, which they always are. if you take a class on 20th century music that's where it gets interesting. seriously, /break/ the fucking rules. the only thing i've found that voice leading crap to be useful for is like...as a starting point for writing harmonies

Literally le this desu

>Letting the kitchen tell you how to cook

Shameful.

more like
>letting chefs and food enthusiasts explain some ground rules to you, which you can break at any time

listen to this guy, OP

Yo lemme drop some knowledge on y'all niggas

Recently learned about Bartok substitutions

Lets say yo got a chord progression like with a dominant 7th in it like iim7-V7-IMaj7. In C that would be Dm7-G7-CMaj7

now turn the dominant into a diminished 7th right quick- G-Bb-Db-E. Turns out it sounds all nice and tense and shit if you switch out the V7 with a dominant 7th with any of the note in the V°7 as the root note.

No idea why but i dig it

Brevity is the soul of wit, user.

>Just follow all the theroy rules so you can make music right!!!
Uncreative normie detected
I bet you make "indie" or bleepshit
Pic related is you

The rewriting wasn't about brevity it was about the flaws of the analogy, user.

>Music theory isn't a set of rules, it's just descriptions.
Yeah dude notes just exist like trees and water do
You're a retard, theory is a restricting guideline and tradition. I bet you unironically think that John Cage is a talentless hack.

What exactly would I need for playing a guitar through a PC?

interface

why would you ever say "diminished 7th" instead of just 6th?

Hardware wise: Electric guitar, pc, speakers/amp and an interface. Behringer uphoria line is nice and cheap, I own the umc404 and it works great for guitars and synths. Presonus and Scarlett makes some too.

Software wise you need something which can route audio and host vsts. I like FL Studio but most will work.

Then just put the guitar on a channel, put some nice effects on and send it out through your speakers

John Cage knew plenty of theory and wrote compositions in classical notation.

Because they fulfill different harmonic roles.

Because they're two different things?

ur mom fulfills different roles on my dic

Nah.

Because a 6th doesn't have a diminished interval.

min 6th from a: A-C-E-G
dim7 from a: A-C-Eb-G

yo mama so greasy when she get out the car the oil light cut on fuck outta here nigga

Guarantee 99% of people who say you don't need music theory stumble upon I V vi IV and think that they invented it.

no I meant how a natural 6th is the same as diminished 7th
I'm not a believer in using redundant synonyms like "double sharp" or "F flat"

I remember reading an interview with Sum 41 or Blink 182 or some shit and they had learned to play guitar entirely with barre chords. Then some wit stumbled upon open C major voicing and thought he invented it.

Well, someday you'll learn that reality doesn't conform to your beliefs.

oh yeah wel ur punk ass conforms to my strong pimp hand

Double flats and things like F flat is there to make sheet music way easier to read quickly.

Which is simpler: Gb-Ab-Bb-Cb-Db-Eb-F
or: Gb-Ab-Bb-B-Db-Eb-F

Avoiding two B's improve legibility

you know how I can tell you have extremely limited experience building chords

not even him, that is the literal opposite of what saying that would imply he unironically thinks

Music theory as a study is simply all of the compositional decisions composers (particularly western) have made in the past, generalized into vague rulesets that different generations of composers may have passingly adhered to some variant of, in different ways, to achieve different effects. This is why music schools have professors of music theory as well as professors of composition - they're two separate things.

Not so far, junior. Keep being confused by double flats, though.

With fedora pics, the culture of Sup Forums has morphed into a paradoxical amalgam of contrarianism and conformity.

Good. Paradox is where progress is born.

Just don't follow them then you fucking retard

I'll make this as basic an explanation as possible.
Let's say you start with a single pitch, C3. The pitch with 2x frequency is C4. (The pitch with 4x frequency is C5, 8x is C6, so on.) The pitch with 3x the frequency of C3 is G4, and the pitch with half the frequency of G4 is G3. So now you have two pitches within a scale, C3 (C3) and G3 (3/2 of C3).

Let's continue with the multiples of C3. 4x of C3 is C5, and 6x of C3 (2x of G4) is G5. But 5x of C3 is another new note, E5. To get E3 we divide E5's frequency by 4. So now we have a perfect and in-tune major triad:
>CMaj: C3, E3, G3
>CMaj: C3, (5/4)*C3, (3/2)*C3
I was originally going to show how the A3 you get from Dmin is slightly sharper than the A3 you get from FMaj, then I realized that none of this has anything to do with your question at all, so I'll just stop here and post since I spent almost an hour on it anyway

>Kid moves here for college
>My roommate
>Has his mailing address changed at the post office to his new dorm
>Chill bro
>Come home from class one day and he's packing up
>Never says why
>Roommate gone
>Ask RA
>"A pound of weed showed up here addressed to him."

Internet went into abyssmal psycho shit after that. Now's everyone either sperg or fedora, who disagrees, agrees, doesn't say anything, whatever. It's all shit.

So all this stuff should be old hat for you, right?

dmu.uem.br/aulas/analise/Kostka_MaterialsTechniquesXXCenturyMusic.pdf

Can you read it?

(Actually, if you can, I seriously recommend it, it's brilliant. I came for the chromatic mediants, I learned new scales and chords, I learned how to create a tonic without a dominant and even without chords built from thirds, I partook in the unbridled autism of serialism, I wandered scared and confused into aleatoricism and I arrived home with a new perspective on the functional tonality of minimalism and neoromanticism. Each chapter has exercises on the back, including compositional exercises for you to dip your toes in this weird shit. It's great)

literally every goddamn song the band i was in in high school made had that progression and most of us were taking ap music theory lol

fl with a /guitar/?? i'd stay the fuck away from fl if you're going to be making music with recorded instruments--you want audio in fl, you'll have to record to edison, then bounce that to an audio channel and it's a pain in the ass

also holy shit thanks for the link man, this is good shit

>i'd stay the fuck away from fl if you're going to be making music with recorded instruments

This, desu. Get Reaper if you want cheap and solid.

isn't it? It seriously revolutionized things when I read it for the first time.

somehow it's a lot more satisfying to read/watch/listen to college materials on your own time, probably because you don't have to go to class or worry about grades. i did the same thing with these lectures about ethnomusicology i found on youtube youtube.com/watch?v=IPlHTZ_-xbM&list=PLdLiRaajwSXRNjebKUboHcGegVmKZJqKQ

lol what a fucking pleb

Fukkin cough syrup at a drug store, it's so easy middle school children do it.