So is post punk just punk with people who know how to play their instruments and have interesting ideas

so is post punk just punk with people who know how to play their instruments and have interesting ideas

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/gb38SyLBZXw
soundcloud.com/pawns-1/sets/cemeterypawns-split
youtu.be/IMtx8mizzck
youtu.be/ahs-oaAemjg
youtu.be/XlMD4pE3d_A
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Yes

It's actually the opposite. Punk bands could at least play their instruments, post punk not even that.

what album is this, there's no artist or album name on it

that's Slipknot's second album

thank you

post-punk is punk appropriated from the angry underclass by middle-class arts graduates

but unfortunately they still don't know how to play their instruments

What?

>the fall
>middle class arts graduates

>joy division
>middle class arts graduates

Congrats, you named two of the most entry-level post-punk bands

my point was that thatcher's britain bred thousands upon thousands of short-lived post-punk bands, a huge proportion of which were students/graduates who were forced into obscurity after a brief shelf life because there wasn't any money in it and the majority of them were miserable drips

Post punk is just punk made for middle class art kids

Nah post-punk is the most watered down shit on the planet. Fuckboys too dumb to get into actual experimental art scene and too lacking in energy to make truly visceral punk music, leading to music that's not really good at anything.

no that's post hardcore

the two most famous and seminal of their genre

punk is punk with people who know how to play their instruments and have interesting ideas

All the early punks were artsy middle-class types who forged a cultural movement based on pretending to be a retarded little shit. Then actual retarded little shits took it seriously and started making shitty unironic punk and the genre died

>implying
All of the early punks were middle-class people pretending to be underclass
Actual lower-class people hated the liberalism, new aesthetic ideas, and youthfulness of punk.

>Thatcher's Britain bred thousands of post punk bands
>got elected in 1979
>post punk started in 1976
Sorry user, but no.
Btw, Ian Curtis voted for Thatcher.

What about Televison
What about Talking Heads?

Don't forget Pere Ubu and DEVO.

which is why by the time post-punk came about, the genre was dead on its feet. middle-class people imitating middle-class people imitating a false portrait of the working classes

>post punk started in 1976

>he has never heard the Pere Ubu singles from 1976
Come on...

post punk disregards rock n roll's influence and motives but not its instrumentation or artistic merits

punk disregards pretty much all of it, at least philosophically and at most instrumentally

>punk disregards pretty much all of it, at least philosophically and at most instrumentally
no
Punk is Rock and Roll: 1977 Edition

>Well you see here, the band Culture was a Rastafarian band. Marcus Garvey (a prophet to the Rastafarians) predicted that when "the two sevens clashed" (1977), that chaos would ensue, in an apocalyptic manner.
>punk, new wave, and post-punk became a thing in 1977
Coincidence?????????

>the ramones
>lower class

Kek

If you knew your history you'd know the peak of its popularity was from around 1978-1984. Joy Division might've started it all off, but they weren't the ones who burned the genre out. That was the result of a huge influx of new artists who couldn't make lasting careers for themselves and dropped out of the limelight.

And it makes me laugh when people use Joy Division as literally the only deciding factor when discussing post-punk. It's like, the majority of post-punk presents itself as anti-establishment, left-wing and so on, but hey, this one dude voted conservative so we should hold the countless other artists to this singular political standard

>any of those bands
>british

J'espere que tu as moins de 15 ans, salope...

youtu.be/gb38SyLBZXw

well you're wrong

punk is mostly atonal, mostly lacks progression, mostly lacks lyrical nuance, and mostly is energetic, frenetic expression for expression's sake.

post-punk takes all of these things and adds a dose of artiness, broadening influences and favoring politics

Kill yourself you fucking Mexican

But they aren't British. That's why they are so good. British post-punk, just like British punk cared more about image rather than actual authenticity. That's why even though post-punk is mostly garbage the Americab bands are top tier because they remember the punk part of being post-punk.

why are you posting that piece of shit player with good music

>atonal
I don't think you know what that word means
>mostly lacks progression
So does rock and roll
>mostly lacks lyrical nuance
So does rock and roll
>and mostly is energetic, frenetic expression for expression's sake
Literally the definition of rock and roll

Ian Curtis was a poet.

Here's your (You)

nah, stay ignorant famalam

>If you knew your history you'd know the peak of its popularity was from around 1978-1984.
Never implied otherwise nor was that the issue I was arguing about.
See
>thatcher's britain bred thousands upon thousands of short-lived post-punk bands
Evidence says most relevant post-punk bands started before Thatcher.

>Joy Division might've started it all off
Not even that, lol. They were like three years late to be the ones who started this thing.
>but they weren't the ones who burned the genre out.
Such as?

>And it makes me laugh when people use Joy Division as literally the only deciding factor when discussing post-punk.
Never said so.

>It's like, the majority of post-punk presents itself as anti-establishment, left-wing and so on
>because I say so!
Guess what, it was just an image.

>but hey, this one dude voted conservative so we should hold the countless other artists to this singular political standard
Never said so. I just said that as a funny fact.

You have some serious problems regarding reading comprehension, mate.

He literally was a poet.
Like he took most of his lyrics from his poetry.
Plus all lyricists are poets anyways

Québécois, Big Bubba...

OO, on a une pute difficile...

soundcloud.com/pawns-1/sets/cemeterypawns-split

>British post-punk, just like British punk cared more about image rather than actual authenticity
Lets leave this debate about which brand of post-punk is better for another day. Remaining closer to a punk sensibility doesn't make american post-punk any better, just more energetic and less introspective than its british counter part. If anything the differences are more cultural than qualitative

Oh I thought you meant that he was a good poet

Carry on

DOESN'T ANYONE ON THIS CRAZY BOARD JUST LIKE MUSIC FOR THE MUSIC?

You're in a punk thread sonny

And the last thing music is about is music, get some taste and a brain

Post one bad lyric Ian wrote buddy
(Not him, by the way)

All of them

They're all shit

>less introspective
>Joy Division is the only British post-punk band
>Devo doesn't exist
>Richard Hell doesn't exist
>Joy Division style muh sadness is the only way to be introspective

I thought I was in a post punk thread so I thought people who actually liked good music would be in here

Quel beast renoise dégoutante...

youtu.be/IMtx8mizzck

Name ONE lyricist better than Ian Curtis

I mean you're right in the sense that bands like the Velvet Underground, the Kinks, and the MC5 were all proto-punk...but still, nah

Lou Reed

...essaie plus fort, Bubba...

youtu.be/ahs-oaAemjg

Robert Shwartz

aka Bob Dylan

>Evidence says most relevant post-punk bands started before Thatcher.
I'm not talking about 'relevant' bands though, I was talking about the lack of originality and genuine merit which have plagued the genre ever since it reached its height of popularity.

>Not even that, lol. They were like three years late to be the ones who started this thing.
>'post-punk was started in 1976'
>joy division were formed in 1976
>uses ian curtis's political orientation to make a point in the same post
this doesn't look misleading to you?

>Guess what, it was just an image.
What music scene isn't based at least in part on image?

>I just said that as a funny fact.
you mean an unnecessary excursion which added no value to your post except for over- complication?

>You have some serious problems regarding reading comprehension, mate
that's because its hard to reply to posts which contain nothing but evasive gymnastics.

>>'post-punk was started in 1976'

Le punk a commencé en 77, connard...comment le post-punk pouvait exister une année avant...

is that a real photo?

pls translate

Jewgle translate existe, mega Bubba...

>joy division is the only british post-punk band
see I literally said in an earlier post they are NOT the only reference point.

>muh sadness is the only way to be introspective
Nowhere in my post was that said. For one thing Devo aren't introspective, humour is an outward-looking form of entertainment. besides, I was simply trying to make a distinction between american and british post-punk, it isn't a definitive rule but they tend towards the introspective and the cathartic respectively

Não sou obrigado, arrombado.

Agora seja bonzinho e fale inglês.

Ew, no!

So, your point being?

>'post-punk was started in 1976'
>joy division were formed in 1976
Coincidence. I used 1976 as the date Pere Ubu released the first post-punk single. Joy Division were most likely not playing post-punk by that time.

>uses ian curtis's political orientation to make a point in the same post
It was more of a fun fact to be honest. Until you mentioned the "anti-establishment, leftie" image.

>What music scene isn't based at least in part on image?
No idea, but we are not disagreeing here. I'm saying their image was that of "anti-establishment, left-wing and so on", but the artists themselves were not necessarily like that.

>you mean an unnecessary excursion which added no value to your post except for over- complication?
I don't know, you were the one who said thatcher was responsible to the bred of post punk bands, when it clearly wasn't like that, and some post-punk artists even endorsed her. So yeah, it was necessary and relevant to the discussion you yourself brought.

>that's because its hard to reply to posts which contain nothing but evasive gymnastics.
>makes a claim about the origin of bands
>be proven wrong
>i was actually talking about the peak popularity of said bands!
Yeah, sure.

punk involved people who didn't have progressive rock-tier mastery over their instrument doing what they could with what they had, which meant power chords and simple progressions with shitty instruments through shitty solid state amps

post-punk was the same thing but applied to an artsy fartsy, darker aesthetic

do you know where you are

>Não sou obrigado, arrombado.
>Agora seja bonzinho e fale inglês.

N'oublie jamais, ese...

richey edwards

Nunca se esqueça

E pare de gozar com o pau dos outros.

The ramones were lower class dickwad

People really like to pretend they know things on this board.

>lower class
>from the New York City neighborhood of Forest Hills, Queens

>Punk became a thing in 1977
Le kek face :)

Go back to China you stupid mexican

Essaie d'allez me reconduire, Bubba...

avant-math can you fuck off

Sie befinden ein Versager und deine mutter dich hasst.

FRENCHIE GET OUT REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

John K Samson

I think you meant punk bands could barely play their instruments, post punk bands mastered them

>Sie befinden ein Versager und deine mutter dich hasst.

Pourquoi, je post de l'excellent post-punk, c'est le thread...

youtu.be/XlMD4pE3d_A

Why?

That was a joke post

why are you using german and french? probably because you're just some american faggot who is taking avatarfagging to a new level.

>thinks humor can't be introspective
>has never actually paid attention to Devo's lyrics or hasn't listened to enough of their tracks
>has completely missed the point of what I am trying to even say here

I posted the german, someone named "anonymous" posted in french.

This topic's proof that post-punk fans are the truly pretentious ones in the scene. The actual punk fans may get involved in the typical image bullshit, but that's because they are actually involved in the DIY scene and listen to, make, buy, release, attend to shows, etc.

You guys just bitch about things you have no clue about in some attempt to look more intelligent than you actually are. GTFO off punk and go listen to experimental avant garge Art music that'll do you guys better.

Too many immigrants in here

Make This Thread Great Again

Mes ancestres était en Amérique avant les tiens, stupide Anglo...

Elliott Smith

i never really noticed that he's punching a mirror until now

oop