/comp/ - Composition General

spent too long typing and thread died, pretending it never happened edition

"Contrary to general belief, an artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind theirs." - Edgard Varese

previous thread: An experiment in a pen-and-paper composing general, made for all the theory autists

Post clyps and accompanying notation so we can accurately critique your composing from a theory perspective

THEORY

>Fux's Counterpoint
opus28.co.uk/Fux_Gradus.pdf

>Orchestration (Rimsky-Korsakov)
northernsounds.com/forum/forumdisplay.php/77-Principles-of-Orchestration

>Teoria - Music Theory General Guides/Articles
teoria.com/index.php

>Arnold Schcoenberg's "Fundementals of Music Composition"
monoskop.org/images/d/da/Schoenberg_Arnold_Fundamentals_of_Musical_Composition_no_OCR.pdf

>Jazz harmony (from the course at Berklee)
davidvaldez.blogspot.com/2006/04/berklee-jazz-harmony-1-4.html

>Stefan Kostka, Materials and Techniques of 20th Century Music
dmu.uem.br/aulas/analise/Kostka_MaterialsTechniquesXXCenturyMusic.pdf

PRACTICAL APPLICATIONS

>Basic composing
youtube.com/watch?v=hWbH1bhQZSw

>Free Notation Software
musescore.org/

IMPROVISATION

>Fake books for jazz and blues soloing
drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BzW9o5O35hQzMzA0ZmI0MWEtZGFmNi00OTQ0LWI2MjMtOWUyNzgyNmUzNzNm&usp=drive_web&ddrp=1&hl=en#

STUFF /COMP/ DOES

>the /comp/ YouTube channel
youtube.com/channel/UCqUEaKts92UIstFjrz9BfcA

>the /comp/ challenge
[email protected]

>/comp/ Georgian Modes Explanation by yodAnon
dropbox.com/s/v26nd8bepv74d8s/Gregorian Modes v1.5.pdf?dl=0

>/comp/ Google Drive folder
drive.google.com/drive/u/1/folders/0B8L6-YOBO_NIOXk1OXRsTDlWMHc

Other resources (full of lessons and books): pastebin.com/EjYVcErt

Other urls found in this thread:

vocaroo.com/i/s0tGNAlfNHZq
youtube.com/watch?v=Gq7MCmlof04
youtube.com/watch?v=zLEjMW2WsuQ
youtube.com/watch?v=2CiqjecNmc0
clyp.it/x41sbzgc
clyp.it/wjfy3efv
youtube.com/watch?v=GC_mV1IpjWA
telegraph.co.uk/music/classical-music/john-adams-interview/
youtu.be/wISuXEy7Nwo
clyp.it/vkxfkuvq
youtube.com/watch?v=Xu5TlSXEzzs
youtube.com/watch?v=uGQq3HcOB0Y
youtube.com/watch?v=U4VQgKGbEkg
youtube.com/watch?v=crBUvtV6HOw
youtube.com/watch?v=NZf7T1w_pPg
youtube.com/watch?v=mSo9wcZRxGo
youtube.com/watch?v=DDq2zdNPDoE
youtube.com/watch?v=8ll_u870PG8
soundcloud.com/henryhanker/winter-is-coming-warriors-wayfare
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

what I was typing before:

So I've come up with a more or less general plan for this motivic development graphic notation I've been working on. In the bottom there'll be a key (like a map) in which the motives are notated traditionally and labeled, and some of their unique manipulable aspects are described (such as "tonal", "quartal", "step - jump", "up - up", "P5 in range", etc.), basically suggestions. The 'staves' will just be large rectangles, the horizontal axis will represent time (obviously), the vertical axis might indicate pitch though I'm not sure. Within the plot of the staff motives are represented as geometric shapes, simpler polygons being similar to the original (regular polygons being exact repetition), distorted convex polygons being more significantly developed, concave polygons obviously based on but very different from original, self-intersecting are unrecognizable from the original.

I was wondering, does anyone have thoughts on what I could represent with the vertical aspect instead of pitch? It kind of feels as though placing motifs onto a clear spectrum of pitches, even if it isn't labeled, is too intrusive on the improviser's ground. I mean just set it so three instances of motif A are arranged in a triangle, and you've just clearly composed a new motif. But I dunno what would be represented instead. Dynamic? eh not so sure about that.

Graphic notations are just an edgy meme for people to look at in awe. Please look away from this meme and focus on actual composition.

fuck off retard

DUDE
Epic.... simply epic....

>smokes weed once

Who /fugue/ here?
I just finished writing another fugue last week. In this 1 piano piece I've implemented the theme over 100 times (the most I've ever done before was 38), and it runs for a little over 8 minutes.

I will upload the score once I get a scanner

Did you read what I wrote? Try reading it once more.

I'm not handing someone a set of artsy squiggles arranged in a nonsensical shape for maximum artistic effect and demanding they play it well. It's a set of symbols from left to right in chronological order, that convey a particular instruction for the player, with plenty of explanation beforehand. If that's an edgy meme then let's just scrap the five-line staff and focus on "actual composition".

Why don't you just use normal staffs and then make a key for stuff that can't be expressed with normal notation instead of re-inventing the wheel and starting from square 1

I do. I use normal notation in the key to demonstrate the motives that the improviser will improvise with. Then for things that can't be expressed in normal notation, such as an outline of where I want the improviser to go, how I want the improviser to get there, what form the improvisation should outline, how controlled or free the improvisation should be at a particular moment etc., that's all expressed outside of normal notation since normal notation is very clear and specific about pitch and rhythm.

>I do.
>The 'staves' will just be large rectangles, the horizontal axis will represent time (obviously), the vertical axis might indicate pitch though I'm not sure.
lol I don't know what the fuck you're trying to say anymore. That's contradictory. All I'm saying is don't use graphic scores to represent things that can be represented normally. It's just an edgy movement and usually just serves as a gimmick. They can be used efficiently sometimes

>That's contradictory.
>All I'm saying is don't use graphic scores to represent things that can be represented normally
Okay. So. In the bottom left corner, there will be a five line staff. In it, I will traditionally notate the motifs that the improviser is to use in his improvisation. The main 'staves' are large and mostly unlabeled empty rectangles because I'm not specifying the exact pitches or note durations being played by the improviser, all I'm specifying are the motifs used to start the piece, which motifs are used at what times, how controlled or freely the improviser can develop the motifs, and how similar to or varied from the original motif any given instance of a motif is. How it's being developed is entirely up to the improviser.

I'm not using graphic scores to represent things that can be represented normally. None of it can be represented normally, except for the original motif, which is why I notate it normally. Look, I agree that 9 times out of 10 these graphic scores just look like artistic wankery, which is why I avoid doing it in the only place I can.

fugues are fun. Pretty much all I write these days. Last one I finished had a latin feel - lots of fun to write, and the ending I'm most proud of of all my fugues!

Hey guys how do I learn time signatures

read a book

Jesus, seems a bit excessive. As long as it works, though.

Just smoked a bowl and looked at this score
Music for this feel lads?

just count it's really easy
4/4: 1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4
3/4: 1-2-3-1-2-3
now do the same thing for all the other time signatures. If it has an 8 at the bottom (6/8) you count eighth notes instead of quarter notes.

Every time I go to sleep, this thread dies. Bump

you guys should include popular music theory as well just to get more interest

We do talk about jazz harmony, if that counts as popular music.

Is there anything particular about pop music theory, that's different?

Hey /comp/, about a couple of months back I got into counterpoint, but never really learned the strict rules, just the very basics, should I go deeper or not? vocaroo.com/i/s0tGNAlfNHZq Pic related is something I made recently

definitely work on it. So many unprepared dissonances, parallels and bad voice leading.

Alright, any books besides the essential Gradus Ad Parnassum that I should read?

Dunno, apart from theory, you just need to examine your writings closely for parallel 5th/8th (or use sibelius review plug in for that), and hidden parallel 8th, as well as augmented / diminished moves and unreasonably far jumps in your melody voices.

Imo it's also helpful to have people look at your stuff and tell you what's wrong and why. I can annotate your pic later when I get home.

I doubt the thread will stilll be alive at that point, but sure, I'll try to annotate it as well

I'll be bumping from my phone.

I assume the voila melody came first and you tried to make a counterpoint melody in the bass next?

>I assume the viola melody came first and you tried to make a counterpoint melody in the bass next?
Yep

>smokes weed for twenty years.
youtube.com/watch?v=Gq7MCmlof04

Is this good composition?
youtube.com/watch?v=zLEjMW2WsuQ

Even if it was, the presentation is just awful

>sounds like a slap bass
Bad enough
>even though he isn't slapping it.
Oh my.

Mobile bump

It's surprisingly hard to find books about chord scale jazz theory in my native language. Everything harmony related is about Riemann function theory.

Red: Parallels. Either open parallels or hidden parallels in the outer voices (which is always the case with 2 voices total). Hidden 8th are tolerable, when the upper voice moves stepwise, but having just two voices, you should avoid doubling notes.

yellow: voice leading. unprepared dissonances, augmented steps.
*1 enharmonic ambiguous use of a diminished 4th. Sounds like A major when instead of the weird quartal chord that's written.
*2 no mistakes per se, but also very uninteresting voice leading. At least do a passing note on beat 4 in the lower note.
*3 dissonance (triton) on an accented beat that doesn't resolve correctly (upper voice up a semi tone, lower voice down a semi tone)
(forgot to mark the next thing, both voices crossing for no reason, also a unreasonably big jump in the upper voice)
*4 weird way to end the passage. Upper voice should end with a discant or tenor clausula (II. degree to I. degree or VII - I. Not speaking chords, just single notes of the scale).

I don't know how you approached it, if I were to add a second obligate voice to an existing one, I'd always first figure out chord progressions for the first voice, and then construct a second voice that fits the chords while obeying the voicing rules.

youtube.com/watch?v=2CiqjecNmc0

what a piece

Assuming it's not minimalism, there's too little development in the first 3 mins. Either do more than 2 chords or use more paint registers or change up the synth effects more during that time.

Whoa, thanks man, I'm going to try to correct it now, although I have to ask, what's an unprepared dissonance, is it the same as an unresolved dissonance?

It's kinda the reverse. Strictly speaking, if there's a dissonance, it has to be created by tying over from a previous consonant position (suspension) or happen briefly as a part of a melodic line (passing note)

Suspension:
VoiceA: c~c b c
VoiceB: e d f e

The dissonant 7th chord comes by tying the c from a previous c.

Passing note:
VoiceA e d c b c
VoiceB c2 g2 c

The dissonant 9th happens as the upper voice runs in a line.

Alright, thanks again, now I don't even think I can fix it, I need to read up on a lot of theory or so it seems.

Well, why don't you start by doing a simple tone vs tone counterpoint, no dissonance at all. And then see where you can add suspensions and passing notes and figurations. That's the way to do it anyways.

People who are proficient at counterpoint are simply able to skip some of these steps here and there.

That sounds very reasonable, thanks.

What is an A minor in the key of Fm?

modal interchange from F major, chromatic mediant, constant structure, depends on context

Maybe the piece is in G# major and Am is just an N, if I add a C to the bass?

if it's being used a subdominant substitute, yeah. If it's not functioning that way then it's probably not an N, and it's just modal interchange or chromatic mediant.

Also,
>G# major

>passive-aggressively posting instead of replying
Not unexpected.

Hello /comp/osers,

Tell me why this is shit so I can stop focusing on trash. Also, how do you deal with stuff that you enjoy playing/composing, but at the same time know it's "cheap"? Like, I can't stop listening to this and I don't even know why.

clyp.it/x41sbzgc

It's like that sometimes I just have to let it out.

theory is useless desu

its useful for giving your creativity more options

bread dead

The two trumpets mirror each other quite closely

oom pah
ooom pah
oom pah

and combined with the short stab duration makes it comical, repetitive and jittery

The drums are pure Ringo Star Classical Gas over an odd eastern theme

It's still not even that bad,

Yes, but it also depends on what you want to do with counter point. On a super basic level each dissonant interval should be followed by a consonant one and the dissonant intervals should come on metrically weak beats.

Question: If one were to compose a piece that used counterpoint, but was rhythmically in a style that emphasized 2 and 4 like back beat or swing, would 2 and 4 now be treated like how 1 and 3 are treated? 1 and 3 are the strong beats in classical music, so would it make sense to change around how you treat dissonance since the strong beats have changed to 2 +4?

>o do with counter point. On a super bas
I'm glad I don't know any of these things

At least I achieved a comical effect, this time on purpose. I'll try to change one of the """"trumpets"""" for some other instrument and see what happens.

Those are not trumpets btw, but "woods high" as they are called in one high quality library (Spitfire Albion One - €300+). I'm somehow able to make them not sound like woods at all kek, that is an achievement by itself.

>Ringo Star Classical Gas
I'm retarded and don't know what this means.

Does this remind you of some works by french impressionists, Ravel or Debussy or someone else, though, or am I mad?

>eved a comical effect,
yeah, way to go A.

>>Ringo Star Classical Gas
>I'm retarded and do
It's a joke off of Radio One 22 years ago, it was reaching a bit

>or am I mad?
As are you with your comparison

CC? Lately, I've been trying to compose something classical, but soon after I begin, it starts to get a popular vibe. Don't know what to do. Anyway, whatever genre this is, what do you think of this - as a theme, since I didn't really arrange it yet.

clyp.it/wjfy3efv

Guys, it's probably not a good idea to try to compose pieces for multiple instruments if I can't even write for a single one well enough, r-right?

Song ends in ii dim. what's the cadence?

pretty much. start by writing for piano or something. basic chords and basic melodies.

eh its not really a "cadence" as such. just a change of harmony at which you ended the piece. Does it feel "final" or just weird?
ending on a dim chord can't be that "final"

Not in the typical V - I, but it doesn't sound that bad. Am7 - Gdim7

What scale is min7#5

also

min7#5, what an odd chord

I think that's related to the phrygian mode

Meme? Yes. Edgy? No. They look pretty good and serve their purpose. Stockhausen uses them to great avail.

How long does it take you to make a theme or get some key idea which you then start to develop? What I'm trying to ask is, where is the point where you say "that's it, I'm satisfied with this and I will work on it"? Because I constantly improvise something "which has potential, but not quite", and I keep going in circles, never completing anything. I'm never satisfied enough to continue working on something so I only have a bunch of ideas and I don't know how to compose a complete piece. Not a /comp/ student btw.

has anyone composed a crab canon before?

What I do do is work with symmetry on my instrument
It is interesting to try

lol imagine a canon that shoots crab cakes

you mean, other than bach?

I'll try someday, and ideally use a theme from this:
youtube.com/watch?v=GC_mV1IpjWA

>Not a /comp/ student btw
as in, not taking composition in college? Or haven't studied up on all of the /comp/ essential textbooks?

I can't find the quote, but the composer John Adams once said something like this:
>You can sit at the piano all day, improvising and improvising, trying to figure out the one perfect theme to create your magnum opus around, and get nothing done. If you want to get anywhere, though, you have to have the humility to stop and tell yourself, "This idea I've come up with is good enough, and it's the best I can come up with right now." Then you focus on making this imperfect idea shine.as brightly as it can.

Incidentally, if anyone wants to get seriously annoyed, try reading this:
telegraph.co.uk/music/classical-music/john-adams-interview/

>improvising and improvising, trying to figure out the one perfect theme to create your magnum opus around, and get nothing done. If you want to get anywhere, though, you have to have the humility to stop and tell yourself, "This idea I've come up with is good enough, and it's the best I can come up with right now." Then you focus on making this imperfect

I've got this start of a piece, and it is good, I play it over
I've spent ages to find where it goes, but I can't find it, I ended up with something else, so now I've two things, both incomplete
I wanted to play on Monday but I don't think it's going to happen.

what is 12/8

a time signature, with 12 eigth notes.

Basically 4/4 with triples on every beat. that's bluesy, anyway

more trouble than it is worth

I never get this. Why isn't there eight of them "because

well that's stupid then...

youtu.be/wISuXEy7Nwo

Hi /comp/.

Please critique if you will

clyp.it/vkxfkuvq

can anyone req me good fiction literature that has to do with composing or a composer character that will inspire me to compose

ask lit

also nice almost quints

An easy way to avoid having a popular vibe is to do away with the repeating chord structure/bassline thing altogether. If you're more into popular than classical, you're too used to how popular music treats repeating basslines.

If you want to keep the repeating bassline, though, look into things like
youtube.com/watch?v=Xu5TlSXEzzs (the obvious, least interesting example. Well I may be biased against it being a cellist)
youtube.com/watch?v=uGQq3HcOB0Y (a particularly famous one for the chromatic descending bass. Starts a minute or two in.)
youtube.com/watch?v=U4VQgKGbEkg (my personal favorite. Not a strict ostinato, it occasionally changes in octave and in instrument, but still.)

One other thing you can do is stop emphasizing the weak beats so much. I'm typing too much already so I made a graphic instead. (I wrote "chord 'changes'" because what you have is much more focused on the addition of different repetitive elements into the mix than on chords, like most popular music, but also John Adams, see his Short Ride in a Fast Machine.)

Something I didn't mention in the graphic was the sort of hierarchy of beats that exists. The strongest beat in quadruple meter is beat 1, the strong beat, obviously. After that is beat 3, either a weak beat or strong beat depending on who you ask, which holds its own authority but supports beat 1. And then you have beats 2 and 4, the weakest of weak beats. Fuxian counterpoint allows you dissonance on these because they don't hold harmonic weight in the listener's mind. Your bassline, however, gives these beats important notes with forward momentum like 5 and b7. Classical composers subvert this hierarchy for temporary effect, but the percussion at 0:20 sort of seals the deal for the pop aesthetic.

One more thing: it's very modal. b7 and the movement from b7 to 1 being structurally important is much more common in popular music than classical. fuck out of characters

Oh, god, ended up typing too much again. I think it was choosing to describe each of the links that sucked me in. Well, whatever.

If you want to keep its modality and b7 being an important driving force, look into things like:
youtube.com/watch?v=crBUvtV6HOw (almost strictly modal)
youtube.com/watch?v=NZf7T1w_pPg (not modal, but very attached to b7. In fact the dominant chords in this run the gamut from V to v to v°. I just love this piece, very 20th century yet completely functionally tonal, but that's neither here nor there)

All of these things appear as artistic effects in classical music, but the confluence of them into a minute and 30 seconds creates a very pop aesthetic.

12/8 is great though.
youtube.com/watch?v=mSo9wcZRxGo
The compound meter and simple meter play off each other beautifully.

post it faggot

where are the whole notes?

Here's some nonfiction that has good tips on composing. It could help get you started.

What is the best string VST?

I just want to have a realistic sounding Violin that actually sounds nice on it's own. LASS sounds absolutely ridiculous and seems useless unless you want to make "le epic soundtrack"

I use Edirol and it is passable sometimes as well as ez to torrent but it has a lot of limitations. Can anyone drop some torrents super realistic vst's and if possible tell me how to use the torrent with FL cuz sometimes I can't figure it out

Vienna Symphonic Library

I'll check them out.

I'm looking into a good sounding "single" instrument, if you understand. When you do violin with LASS for example, you have always a bunch playing, impossible to have just one single violin playing at a time.

In that case I would probably steer away from the aforementioned Edirol. Their solo violin instrument is absolutely abhorrent. Their Violin section is a lot more passable but their solo violin is unusable.

torrents?

bumping with an old favorite of mine.
youtube.com/watch?v=DDq2zdNPDoE

It's almost a cello and harpsichord concerto at times

yes. rutracker

3:48 bump

This is great! Now I understand it better. Thanks for your time, user.

Not studying composition in college. And I guess I really should focus more on those books in sticky. I only read about 2/3 of Gradus Ad Parnassum and it was easy as shit, but I probably wouldn't be able to use it IRL at all.

I think I'll start with Schoenberg's "Fundementals of Music Composition" since I have REAL troubles with theme development.

5:29 bump

Hey /comp/osers, I've been taking a break from Jazz and Classical, and have been listening to lots of Calypso recently. Does anyone have any idea on where I could get a Calypso fakebook or two, if such a thing exists?

bump

Mobile bump.

>when I'm improvising, I end up doing I ii4/2 Imaj7 iv6/4 VIIb9/I I9 (how do I notate inversions of nineth chords??)

>youtube.com/watch?v=uGQq3HcOB0Y (a particularly famous one for the chromatic descending bass. Starts a minute or two in.)

I've been having this on a repeat and trying to analyze some parts.

If only I was able to understand why I like this piece so much. Didn't learn shit in harmony classes...

It reminds me of this:

youtube.com/watch?v=8ll_u870PG8

I need more pieces like this, please.

VSL has solo vln and basically every other instrument

for me it is when it gives me goosebumps

I know this isn't a share thread
But you are the only ones who can leave a valid critic i think

>(not directly a score)
soundcloud.com/henryhanker/winter-is-coming-warriors-wayfare

anyone got advice on how to arrange brass?
I want it to have more force instead of sounding muddy

It's great. The catchy/easy to grasp things are the best imo.