Music theory is irrelevant

music theory is irrelevant

yes and no

we really low effort now

WHAT THE FUCKING FUCK I WASN'T FUCKIGN FORCED TO TAKE PIANO LESSONS BY AN ABUSIVE STEPMOTHER FOR TEN MISERABLE YEARS JUST TO HAVE TO READ THIS SHITTY FUCKING THREAD AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

dumb frogfucker

how can anyone think this? the second you hear a song with one key out of tune, its instantly a fucking joke of a song. so if you dont know your scales then your music will blow.

People avoid music theory because they believe it will stifle their creativity, but how can you break the rules if you don't know the rules? Music theory is all about what sounds good, what expectations are set up when you play a certain way, and you can tear that down all you want or even better if you know exactly what your audience thinks is going to happen.

Music theory is very relevant, and OP's bait is correct.

Hello Eric

How are you doing?

I didn't mean to have a trip on, I'm actually in a bandcamp thread as well where having a trip is useful. I'll take it down for the remainder of this conversation if you want.

not it's okay

I just want to know how's your day been going?

Eric tell me about your day

I used to think this. Then I started to learn a little theory and I learned how useful it is. It opens up so many possibilities.
If you truly want to do music you should at least look into it a bit.

How's your day been, Eric?

Has your day been good, Eric?

Eric, why are you not responding?

Eric, please tell me about your day

Agreed.

Do people remember this band called the Dirty Projectors? No they don't, because they were fastidious fags who used music theory

music theory isn't a set of rules, it's just an explanation for why certain notes sound good, why changing key at this point sounds good, why this melody sounds good but this other one with a different note sounds like garbage, etc.

it's important to know WHY because otherwise you are fumbling around in the dark. by all means, it's possible to make good music with absolutely no music theory knowledge (look at cave story for example) but it's a lot of trial and error. knowing why things work will drastically increase your productivity

that being said a huge part of music is also feeling. there are some things that simply can't be explained by music theory, and that's something you will need to find yourself. it takes a lot of work and dedication to start writing music that actually sounds good.

I like your music

I hope your day has been going great, Eric

FYI the mozarts and beethovens werent good because they used music theory it was because they were good

That's why I got a STEM degree.

lol as if that's a good thing
i have cs degree and it's fucking depressing how overworked and underpaid most people are

Music theory in 2016:

- Have a black guy sing like a girl w/autotune
- Have an annoying horn or irritating looped vocalization as the hook
- Reggaeton syncopated trance chords
- A music video of people with their attractive gf/bf jumping into pools and looking out the window of a plane while landing in a city so people can vicariously have a life through watching it
- Some artist name that sounds cool to say like guetta

CS isn't true STEM. Try again :)

engineering, math, physics arent much better ;)
unless you truly stand out you'll be overworked too

>the second you hear a song with one key out of tune, its instantly a fucking joke of a song
not necessarily... have you heard of an accidental?

>working 8 hours a day for low wage
>not being an entrepreneur
>not getting grants and commisions to create music
>not being an artist in residence to amazing orchestras

suit yourself

Beethoven and Mozart were both very strict in their use of theory. They innovated, but they were 99% grounded in conventional theory. They were good because they made highly theoretical things sound effortless, when in actual fact they took a lot of work. Beethoven went through countless drafts of each piece. Mozart was a genius, but trained in composition from a very young age. Both studied composition quite seriously, looking at 4 part counterpoint a la Bach and learning a lot from composers like Haydn.

If they didn't know theory they would just be another unnamed tavern minstrel, like [any popular artist] in 300 years.

I'm not the one defending myself in this conversation. As always, it seems STEM majors come out on top. Better get some rope because I wish you best luck in the next life, pal.

That's not music theory in 2016.

more like
>come up with a based on a contemporary SCIENCE concept. Quantum physics or something
>Use a computer to generate non-repeating rhythms
>take those rhythms and apply pitches and layer them with extended techniques a la Brian Ferneyhough
>have the performed trigger effects and loops of their own playing depending on which notes they play, and how loud
>use MAX/MSP to trigger lights and/or video elements
>create a 20 minute piece that captures an audiences attention, and challenges them, but without being "lol atonal" or cliched

>anime reaction

you wish lmao, nothing on top is that degenerate

THIS

Non-STEM fags deserve to be treated at third class citizens

All these STEM fags are so cute, they're just drones working under business majors.

Shut the fuck up and go grab the latte I ordered, artfag

>business majors

I know you all are known for barely knowing how to write and read, but come on.

>business majors

EVEN MORE TRAGIC

Just keep working serf, or I'm firing you.

music theory is helpful, but not essential

Do we?
Too bad it's not like that, my dear under-paid friend. Go on, be proud of wasting your youth in the name of progress or whatever. Me, i'll just live on the back of your work. Another day, another dollar.

I guess you can't be underpaid if you've never been paid at all.