What was the best defense in NFL history?

What was the best defense in NFL history?

Cliched as fuck but the 85 Bears were unquestionably the most dominant single season team in history.
Yeah they lost to Miami in a monday night game but they were without their star Quarterback.

Steel Curtain for longevity + sheer dominance.

Its hard to deem a team that played in 85 the best because offenses were just so different back then, if the 85 bears played today, any team running a spread offense with quickfire passes has a solid shot at beating them. That LoB when healthy was ridiculous. The fact that they embarrassed pey pey and crew that badly in a super bowl is incredible.

Ravens only gave up 23 points in 4 playoff games.

P E D s
E
D
s

lmfao how can you even consider the Broncos? They weren't even as good as the 2000 era Steelers and Ravens

Yes. The LOB was the nastiest I've ever seen. But I'm only 22 and have only been watching football since 04 so thats the best defense I have PERSONALLY witnessed. Can't say much about all time.

last year they were slightly worse than the 85 bears

>Claiming to be the goat defense, yet needing a star quarterback

The 00 Ravens and it's not particularly close.

The Bears and Seahawks complete the top 3

Considering the rule changes in te past decade that favors offense so heavily they may unironically be the GOAT. Broncos would probably have went 4-12 at best without that elite D.

The Ravens didn't go undefeated either, so by your logic their defense wasn't goat

>The Bears and Seahawks complete the top 3
Seahawks weren't even better than the 02 Bucs Defense.

IMO desu

1. Burrs 85
2. Steel Curtain
3. Ravens 00

And the defense shut out the Giants in the Superbowl. The only points NY scored were off a kickoff return.

over a decade-70's steelers

single season and best pass rush-85 bears

best secondary-2013 seahawks

DEFENSIVE LINE
1. 16 Broncos
2. 85 Bears
3. 00 Ravens
4. 14 Seahawks

LINEBACKERS
1. 00 Ravens
2. 85 Bears
3. 14 Seahawks
4. 16 Broncos

DBs
1. 14 Seahawks
2. 16 Broncos
3. 00 Ravens
4. 85 Bears

I give the Bears a slight ascension down because they played in a worse offensive era. I also give the Broncos a slight bump because they had the worse offense of the 4 and were constantly on the field and still did well.

2007 Patriots. The best defense is a great offense

offenses don't win owls

You tell me

Steel curtain was before free agency

>rating anyone but the 00 Ravens
lmao gtfo lads u r all dumb

god damn the patriots - seahawks super bowl is the best of all time

well miami scored 38 on their fully healthy defense....

but yea i agree with you

To add Denver's stats from last season:

Opp PPG: 18.5
Opp YPG: 283.1
Takeaways: 27
Yards p/Play: 4.4

So they really only complete in yards per play. However, if you include sacks:

85 Bears: 64.0
00 Ravens: 35.0
13 Seahawks: 44.0
15 Broncos: 52.0

>casuals don't know about the '91 eagles or the '77 falcons

Bears 85.
Then the best year of the steel curtain and Ravens 2000 to close out the top 3.

Denver is definitely top 10. Seattle 13 is slightly above them. Bucs 2002's season is above both.

>They weren't even as good as the 2000 era Steelers and Ravens
Please stop.

>Casuals rating the 77 Falcons as the best defense of all time, or even in the conversation.

As much as I hate them, probably the 2013 Hawks. The Bears played in an era where power running and deep balls were the primary modes of offense. Against a Miami team that utilized a similar offense we see today in the NFL, they conceded 38 points.

Can't speak to the 00 Ravens, obviously they were incredible, but that era wasn't that strong seemingly. Still very one-dimensional offenses and pre-Peyton/Brady.

The Hawks beat the best offense of all time. They humiliated them.

That just means the offense was shit and the defense was on the field for more plays

/thread