Merriweather Post Pavillion

Why is this album so good?

Does any the previous work of Animal Collective compare to this?

Thoughts on the album and the band as a whole

here comes the indian is better but yeah mpp is one of the better albums in their discography

MPP is good but everything they did before Sung Tongs
>Spirits They've Gone Spirits They've Vanished
>Danse Manatee
>Campire Songs
>Here Comes the Indian
>Hollinndagain
So good

here comes the indian is way too self indulgent, I'd have to disagree with the idea that it's better than MPP. AC peaked with merriweather, everything they've done afterwards has paled in comparison.

tried listening to this once and wasnt a fan. should i go for it again?
I think i didnt like it because i know nothing about AC in general, but if theres so much love for the album i assume it must have some sort of charm im missing.

It's alright I guess. I'm still trying to figure out what people see in it.

The songs aren't really about anything, the production is really pseudo-grand and it comes off as long winded, it's not catchy and it just feels devoid of anything to digest.

People say "it's great" but can never seem to explain what's good about it. I understand if it makes sense to them emotionally but it would be nice if they could justify what that's supposed to be.

If people weren't constantly praising this album I would have forgotten about it immediately.

anyone who doesn't think mpv or stawberry jam is the best album is a fucking child trying to be a special snow flake

album took 4-5 listens to click for me, then suddenly every song was an earworm and i couldn't get enough of it

ymmv

Give it more listens. 30 years from now this will become a classic.

It's good, but I'm willing to say that most of their work from before is better. But MPP was a breath of fresh air and a great album, but the songwriting isn't quite as good as AnCo had been prior, but the depth of the synths make up for it.

I've never seen "self indulgent" as a good criticism for music. I mean, why shouldn't an artist make exactly what they want. It's their music, they're entitled to it being however they want, regardless of whether it's good or bad. And in the case of HCTI, I think it's a fantastic album

Nice quads user

strawberry jam > mpp
centipede hz >>>>> pw

Going to listen to it, and force my girlfriend into listening to it, let's see the unfiltered reaction she has.

>What are we listening to?
>Sup Forums circlejerk album
>It's fucking horrible turn it off.

Got halfway through the second track.

Pretty sure she was zoned out during the first one to notice it.

My personal assessment of the album?

The music seems to copy that airy 70s soft-rock genre with a little french indie genre appropriation.

Nothing new, especially when it was released.

Funny because this is probably one of my least favorites. Much prefer Sung Tongs and STGSTV.

>Does any the previous work of Animal Collective compare to this?
The five years before this were the band's best (not that prior AnCo wasn't great too).

>Winters Love, Kids on Holiday, Visiting Friends
>Did You See The Words, The Purple Bottle, Banshee Beat, Loch Raven
>For Reverend Green, Fireworks, Cuckoo Cuckoo
>Prospect Hummer, Water Curses and People EPs

They must have had so much fun recording this shit because I sure as fuck had fun listening to it all.

Solid 8.5/10
The counterpoint in Taste is one of the trippiest things I've ever heard.

i'd say i agree with this, MPP isn't pure perfection but it is a masterpiece atleast in terms of production and sound. HCTI is their completely unhinged masterpiece that resembles nothing else ever made. Spirit could also be credited this

which counterpoint

break up with her now

t h i s t b h

no respectable human being would call MPP "horrible"

>airy 70s soft-rock genre with a little french indie genre appropriation
could you be more specific? What acts or aspects is it derivative of? And how could you make that assessment after listening to one and a half tracks?

In any case, MPP isn't know for it's innovation, it's known for it's production. It's often hailed as being "big" and "textural" because of how deep and layered the synths are. Despite how poppy the album is, there's a lot to miss

bump

>In The Flowers
>My Girls
>Bluish

These are the only good songs on here (they're like 11/10 btw), unfortunately the rest of the album is just mediocre. 6-7/10 as a whole, could of easily been a 10/10 if the other songs were like those 3

STGSTV is better (10/10)

bluish is the worst song, also frightened, taste and brother sport are all transcendence/10

>The music seems to copy that airy 70s soft-rock genre with a little french indie genre appropriation.
?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

>not Daily Routine
>not Taste
>not No More Running
>not Brother Sports
I mean, I agree that Spirit is better, and the songs you listen are good, but MPP has better songs than those 3

>bluish is the worst song
Imo, it's the second best song after Taste

i think it's way too sentimental without having the same intense layering and sound design as the others. The first few seconds with the water sample and avey's voice is very good, but that synth line that comes in just before the verse makes me cringe

I'm going to go re-listen to those tracks (it's been a while) and tell you guys what I think

I really hope you're right

Just finished Taste, and it was not that good

It just sounds so much different than the 3 songs I listed. It's like goofy sounding while the other three are angelic and beautiful

>avey's vocals in the verse
>the counterpoint in the chorus between avey's and panda's vocals
>not angelic and beautiful

I agree that it is overly sentimental but that synth line is one of my favorite moments

What about it goofy? That synth arpeggio is even better than the synth line in Bluish, and Panda's background vocals are great. It sounds really organic to me.

I mean, I like My Girls, the synths in it a great and deep, but it's probably the most boring song on the album because it has some of the blandest songwriting that AnCo has ever done

Not sure, just really not feeling it

What I like about the three songs I listed
>In The Flowers
That "If I could just leave my body for the night" followed by godtier drumming and synths and the amazing lyrics after... so beautiful
>My Girls
>Bluish
Really like the higher pitched vocals

Post something that resembles this album then. Anything. We'll be here.

>anyone who listens to Animal Collective is a special snowflake

The only album where every song is 10/10

>preferring Lion in A Coma over Bluish
How often are you objectively wrong?