Is this the best ambient album ever made?

Is this the best ambient album ever made?

Other urls found in this thread:

dreamcatalogue.bandcamp.com/album/--22
hkedream.bandcamp.com/album/-
dreamcatalogue.bandcamp.com/album/--18
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Yes

no

No

no

flol

it's pretty good but no.

It's good, not the best. That probably goes to tired sounds of the stars of the lid, or the caretaker

Any recommendations?

I said no

A flavor of the year album from a trendy meme subgenre is the best album in a 40-year old genre, yes OP.

No

Shpongle - are you shpongled?
tired sounds of stars of the lid
caretaker - an empty bliss beyond this world
anything by the caretaker actually
ott - mir
yearner - winternight
forgotten pathways - shrouded in mystery
til det bergens skyggene - til det bergens skyggene

>from a trendy meme subgenre
It's not really vaporwave

Thank you user

Aphex Twin - SAW II
Brian Eno - Ambient 1: Music for Airports
Biosphere - Substrata
Global Communication - 76:14

no

(with my favourite being terre thaemlitz - soil)

Not memeing

Zauberberg is superior.

Anything with a beat in it isn't actually ambient.

That said OP needs more Stars of the Lid.

not memeing

Nah

Yah m8. Pop is too bright and polished for it's own good.

I don't usually care for vaporwave, but this album was fucking incredible. Are any of their other albums as good?

What is the OP album?

>I don't usually care for vaporwave, but this album was fucking incredible.
That's because it's not vaporwave.
>Are any of their other albums as good?
Some are pretty good, some are garbage.

dreamcatalogue.bandcamp.com/album/--22
hkedream.bandcamp.com/album/-
These are very similar (and very good in my opinion)

Google image search is your friend.
dreamcatalogue.bandcamp.com/album/--18

You are saying it's too perfect to be good? I like the other Gas albums but Pop is the pinnacle.

Thanks G, don't know why i didn't just search the image.

nah hes right

I'm saying that it lacks subtlety.

Fukin contrarian

>That's because it's not vaporwave.
What would you call it then? Ambient?

>These are very similar (and very good in my opinion)
Thanks a lot for the recommendations, I'll be sure to check them out later.

>What would you call it then? Ambient?
Yeah, probably. You're welcome senpai

(((this)))

Zauberberg doesn't have moments like Pop does. Every time I listen to Pop I feel like I'm flying in the clouds over Narnia.

Wow, you're shallow.

And you are pretentious.

correct

this

Are you going to call me a try-hard and a hipster next?

Nah. I just don't get what you hate about Pop and like about Zauberberg. I just feel like Pop does a great job of being ambient while also being as lush and satisfying as your favorite shoegaze album. Zauberberg is great ambient but Pop is on another level entirely.

Not that guy but I feel like they achieve different things. Pop is lush and nature-y, but I really like the creepy drones and record noise and muffled BUM BUM BUM BUM BUM BUM of Zauberberg, there aren't any oter ambient techno albums that sound like that, while there are many ambient/field recording albums that are similar to Pop (if not as good).

I know this is an unpopuar opinion, but I really preferred Rain Temple.

I don't really like Rain Temple that much. I think it's a shame that they're moving away from the style they used in 新しい日の誕生, I would love to listen to more albums like that.

To some, yes.
To others, no.

/thread

>/threading your own post
>>>/reddit/

Top 5:

Tim Hecker - Virgins
Gas - Pop
The KLF - Chill Out
Tim Hecker - Harmony In Ultraviolet
William Basinski - Disintegration Loops

I sadly do not like any of these except SAWll

Shpongle is cooo. But Caretaker sucks

Me too, I like how "huge" the album sounds

It sounds as cold as it looks

Volume Beta is better, The End is a godtier track.

Zauberberg is good but its your average Kompakt ambient/minimal techno. There is nothing that sounds quite like Pop, on the other hand.

pop is literally your average mallbient record m8

No.

Bandcamp and the plethora of other mediocre "wall of ambiance" artists prove you otherwise.

Loads of seminal records inspire shitty knockoffs - doesn't take away from their ingenuity. You could probably find loads of Zauberberg knockoffs too. I dunno what that other user is talking about either because the muted/muffled kick is a hallmark in various genres of techno, especially ambient techno.

dat backpedaling

>implying this is my own post
>doing the >>>/reddit/ thing
>pretending like there's no obvious overlap
>using "leave" as an argument at all

Not to say that I have no realized that I, too, am retarded as to what my own post was.
Still, >>>/reddit/ is a shitty argument

Sure, okay, maybe there are other things that "sound like it" (as with pretty much every album) but there aren't any albums that match it stylistically while also keeping the same proficiency of sampling, texture, and mixing.

No, that would be Cirque by Biosphere.

just discover ambient yesterday did we?

Go back to deep (((soundground))) and stay there

>he doesn't like 76:14

You should reevaluate this opinion or maybe give up on listening to electronic music

>Is this the most shilled ambient album ever made?

ftfy

Basically every Tim Hecker album except for Love streams and Virgins (because the latter is not ambient) is better.

Also all of the disintegration loops.

>Implying those aren't great Ambient albums

lol whatever bitch, album sucks

What would you say Virgins is then? Drone? Neo-Classical? It does remind me a little bit of Music for 18 Musicians

>What would you say Virgins is then?
shit

Music for 18 musicians is my favorite music piece of all time and it barely has any resemblance to virgins. I really don't know what genre virgins would be, i don't see why it would matter, it's great either way.

Not ambient

why has nobody posted this yet

OPN is a hack

>lol whatever bitch, album sucks
>attentionwhoring and multiquoting

You have shit taste. Also, you are an annoying, passive-aggressive millennial. I hope that somebody slaps you soon.

FUCK YOU

76 : 14 most definitely does not suck. Stop being such an embryo.

I would hope they are a millennial. Anything else and they'd be way to old to be using this website...

it's ambient techno

Closer to plunderphonics, it's much more angular than Hecker's other stuff. I wouldnm't call anything post-Mirages "ambient music", there's way too much going on. Electroacoustic maybe, but that's not really a genre.

>techno

no, this is techno. retard

it's downtempo

besides ambient techno =/= ambient

>you Should reevaluate this opinion or give up on listening to electronic music.

lol dude, you are pretty much the epitome of why this board is shit. Nothing qualifies anybody to listen to music. if I think 76:14 is a 5/10 album, I have the right to express my opinion without having to be such a self-defensive fuck. I'd rather write you off and say "whatever bitch, album sucks" because honestly you aren't worth my time and I would rather just move on from this conversation now. Thanks for wasting my time, I hope you learned something.

Goodbye

>I hope you learned something
yeah. I learned that you act like a little hoe. take your ball and go home then babe. we'll see you around.

This is my favorite Ambient record, what do you think about it?

I meant millennial as a pejorative for the current generation of young ""adults"" who are bratty and opinionated about things they have made little effort to understand. In art, this type of person snidely dismisses things regarded as classics without realizing that there are reasons why the thing is a classic... this is because they view everything relative to their special snowflake status and undeserved ego.

Take a look at his response and you'll see exactly what I'm talking about. >Nothing qualifies anybody to listen to music. if I think 76:14 is a 5/10 album, I have the right to express my opinion without having to be such a self-defensive fuck.

Yeah, you have a right to express your "opinion" even though it's more like a knee-jerk reaction. Certainly others are wrong for criticizing what you think.

Pretty cool.

This is my favorite ambient album.

Now that I think about, I think Hecker has been more Maximalist in recent years than anything. But with obvious uses of Ambient and Drone

So you're using the term as a buzzword to refer to people you don't like, despite belonging to the cohort and exhibiting their characteristics.

Is there really anything to "understand" about ambient though?

(principally this one)
Almost all ambient records have cool covers.

>belonging to the cohort and exhibiting their characteristics

No.

>be born in 1994
>discover ambient music in my teenage years, well past its golden age
>attempt to understand what was going on in the music scene back when I was still wearing diapers

contrast that with

>be born in 1994
>discover ambient music when twenty-something
>take one listen to golden age of ambient records and immediately write them off as shit

Contrarianism, refusal to admit faults, a belief of superiority due to being "different" than the construed outgroup via a perception of self-defined expertise and sincerity.

You are beyond millennial.

ahahaha

>millennial
If you're not a millennial, why are you on this website?
If you are a millennial, cool your shit and get off your high horse, friendo.

>Certainly others are wrong for criticizing what you think

The only part of that whole hypocritical post that actually mattered

So you're using a broad term to describe a narrower set within a group and getting upset when people get confused or call you on it?
Fuck off with the "hurr durr millennials" rant.

Both of you fall into the exact same category and are bickering at each other over it.

I'll take "making assumptions" for 400, Alex.
You're quite the hypocrite, user.

all millenial btw

/thread