Question: When you meet people in real life and make an assessment of their musical tastes...

Question: When you meet people in real life and make an assessment of their musical tastes, do you hold men and women to the same standard?

Please explain your answer through whatever means possible.

Other urls found in this thread:

vocaroo.com/i/s0W5JV6ZizTj
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/mu/thread/S64111683
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

No I do not.
I am not a cunt like the rest of these fuckers on this board that think they are edgy or cool for hating music that is mainstream.
And I can promise you the majority of them do not do that IRL either.
Punks would get their faces smashed in.

So what you're saying is that normies would beat me up for calling their tastes in music infantile?

Kind of a self-defeating argument on their part, I think.

Children don't beat up adults, so no, it's not infantile on their part to beat up a smug hipster who's insulting their music taste.

Are you gay?

I usually expect women to have shittier taste and not be into the same stuff. But don't get me wrong, most faggy men now a days like top 40 crap tier girl music anyways

It is infantile to silence dissenting opinions with violence. If they're wrong, then use it should be easy to make that apparent using your words.

Children throw tantrums and act volatility, not matured adults.

No and I don't see how that's relevant either.

Not sure what you mean by "faggy," but they're probably over-compensating by trying to appear as feminine as possible, to the point of parody, even.

Honestly I've had girls be more of an asshole over music than guys

most guys don't give a shit about other peoples taste.

had some girls get pissy when I said 21 pilots,halsey weren't good.

vocaroo.com/i/s0W5JV6ZizTj

Yes I fucking hate the "I listen to everything" bullshit and they haven't heard of things just below the mainstream.

This grill I'm trying to go out with doesn't know run the jewels but knows all time low

>pitchfork drone trying to ego-pick people

weird

Faggy being like beiber and Sam smith. Not sure how guys can be into that. But I could really care less. Most of my friends like shitty music and I don't care. Just weird when we get in the car and we have to find a medium. Though deep down I do judge them just a little as they probably do to my tastes as well

>I don't see how that's relevant

Nigga like you asked if one measures women and men by the same standards who the fuck does that faggots I guess

>It is infantile to silence dissenting opinions with violence.
No it's not. Silencing dissenting opinions with violence is something that's typically adult. We've even made an institution out of it called the military. Children do not have the capacity to successfully repress dissenting opinions with violence, so instead they whine a lot and let their parents kick the asses of the children who disagree with them.

Not a pitchfork drone but I've been told on here I have the taste of a 16 year old

I hold everyone to the same standards. If they are a pleb who thinks Tame Impala is better than Rihanna, or refuses to acknowledge Beyonce as an artist yet worships Death Grips, if they think Grimes sucks and celebrates the mediocrity of Bon Iver as greatness, I will laugh and walk away not even speaking to their trash ass.

we'll se how true that is.
What's your favorite psych rock band?
Your favorite first wave industrial act?
Your favorite hardcore punk band?
Your favorite New Wave band?
Your favorite Jazz musician?

Girls can sometimes be more violent, especially towards men because they recognize their social invulnerability. A man cannot hit a woman because she makes bold claims about his taste or otherwise.

The military exists for self-defense, although I will concede that in recent decades it's invested resources into expanding our arbitrary code of morals abroad. Still, that's a different matter. Resorting to violence because you can't defend your taste in music, or just ignore an ultimately harmless criticism, is infantile.

I treat man and women the same way (roughly, but without any anger)

Anyway from my perspective guys most of the time take my words ironically and we just end up having fun, while wth girls I have serious arguments from time to time

Yes I hold men and women the same, to bad I don't talk about music with most people.

Tame impala I guess. Only like currents
Does nine inch nails count?
Terror or trapped under ice
Does new ceremony count?
The closest I get to jazz is badbadnotgood and that isn't 10/10

You're saying it as if beating up a smug little shithead who doesn't even know you could have consequences.
They don't "resort" to violence, they just use it like one would swat a fly.

As such, it is not infantile, it's the mature thing to do when pestered by a tripfag within reach of your fist.

lmao

Ikr? I am not very Sup Forums

Yeah you do have the tastes of a 16 year old.
And no, Nine Inch Nails doesn't count, they started at least ten years after industrial became a thing.

Amen to you bro. Someone that actually cares about others feelings and tries to meet half way.
Not many of us left out there.

You are simply not very knowledgeable about music made before your generation.

not the guy who asked questions but
- ugh (Try The Family - Music In a Doll's House)
- no (Go with Coil - Horse rotorvapor instead)
- meh
- no (The right answer is always talking heads, watch out for wall of voodoo)
- not really Jazz (Sonny Rollins? It's kinda entry level)

Not intentionaly but yes, when a woman is more serious about music after a few questions you find out that she knows just the bare minimum and has no intention of changing that, but that goes for most topics, even topics more centered around women like fashion or cooking, as soon as I gathered a little knowledge i realized how little people actually know about it. But men are the same, they just dont try to fake interest to seem interesting.
Ps. Ive met women with real interests, i just think the way society works they have no incentive to actually pursue interests aside from the bare minimum that allows you to have a conversation about it

>coil
>first wave industrial

No I am, I just fucking hate anything pre 90

I meant no, read op wrong

Im a girl and I expect less special taste from girls. Especially from those girls who pride themselves for listening to nirvana, nu metal or emo shit. Theres some guys like that out there too, but way less. Hate those pretentious bitches more than top40 gals without pretentions. Don't expect much from guys either tho, they usually listen to house music so nothing special either way

Just trying to find something really accessible. Jesus I hate this board

amen dude

Clearly you've ill-conceptions regarding maturity.

Punching someone because they insult your taste in music indicates that you can't argue otherwise or ignore the comment, so it absolutely is "resorting" to violence. There are a multitude of other ways to deal with such a person/pest. Violence is the most feral and infantile.

Again, flies cannot be reasoned with and they cannot be ignored. They are pests that will linger until killed or they can't see you.

It's not rare for others to pursue interests strictly for their social worth, hiking and cooking for prime examples.

Yes, people like us are a minority but there's still exponentially more men in our circumstance, with the zeal to invest hour upon hour into this medium, than there are women.

Also, what music do you enjoy?
Do you read?

Maybe you are not snarky about it, but a lot of them are.
Not one has acted that way to me yet, and good chance none of them ever will.
I give off an aura of DGAF. My expressions tend to lead people to not be offensive to me.
This was after growing up being bullied every day. I do not put up with punks and shit anymore.

You bet that if you talk shit to me, you will be going home with a broke nose.

Just don't be one of those smug asses that scoffs at others music tastes. Respectfully disagree, and try to find other relatable interests.

Ignoring the comment is actually a strenuous expenditure of concentration and energy when you're face to face with a smug shithead.
Arguing is what impotent children do when they're wise enough to realize that they can't conceivably hold their own in a fistfight.
>Again, flies cannot be reasoned with and they cannot be ignored.
Neither can dumb tripfag scum.
"violence is immature" is a myth propagated by the weak and the oppressed in order to win an abstract, fictitious victory against their bullies.

>It's not rare for others to pursue interests strictly for their social worth, hiking and cooking for prime examples.
Funny that you mention both of those hobbies, they are actually both my favourite, never hiked apart from alone but cooking has certainly opened many doors socially, couldnt imagine cooking if I didnt enjoy it though, just to enjoy the social benefits

Some classic rock, most stuff labeled under grunge, sunn 0))) sometimes, death grips, some bauhaus and some Sup Forumscore lol

I feel I should add that I also loathe people like that because they think such fringe tastes, copy/pasted from tumblr or whatever media platform they cling to, are in any holistic sense different than those with tastes copy/pasted from MTV or the radio.

At this point I think I'll just concede it to a difference in ethos.

See above.
>Arguing is what impotent children do when they're wise enough to realize that they can't conceivably hold their own in a fistfight.
Arguing is employed by those confident in their reasoning and with an interest in persuading their opponent, and the public, of their side.

Punching someone in the nose doesn't make said someone wrong. If an attack at your tastes in music wields so much weight, that's likely indicative of insecurity and warrant to find comfort in yourself.

They're meme hobbies, although if you're doing them alone it's clearly not for social value.

>meme hobbies
You serious senpai? What exactly is a meme hobby?

>Punching someone in the nose doesn't make said someone wrong
no but it makes them shut up, which is more important than proving them wrong, which is useless since everyone is too stubborn to let anyone convince them of anything important.
Arguing is the refined, socially-acceptable version of throwing a temper tantrum and crying while soiling yourself in public. It's only slightly less shameful than begging.

fucking geeze dude

Hobby in which there is an implicit exchange of social currency.

>makes them shut up
Walking away from the person achieves the same thing.
>more important than proving them wrong
It's not. As my previous post mentioned, punching someone in the mouth because they were sharing their opinion simply gives said opinion additional weight. It suggests latent vulnerabilities, which only disservices your position.
>which is useless since everyone is too stubborn to let anyone convince them of anything important.
At which point the mature thing to do is agree to disagree and either leave this person or search for common conversational footing elsewhere, as indicated.

It seems more and more likely that you're just exposed to the wrong sort of people, pathological infants that would strike a person through a perceived rhetorical futility, as though said strike is any less futile.

>arguing is the refined, socially-acceptable version of throwing a temper tantrum and crying while soiling yourself in public.
If by arguing you mean flailing about mindlessly after getting baited at some political rally in an instance that is surely being filmed and is due to hit YouTube, sure. Not all arguing is such an informal affair, though. People can be reasonable. I believe I'm reasonable.

girls made me patrician.

You should just ignore that.

Holy
Fucking
Shit
Dude

How so? That sounds interesting.

Latent vulnerabilities are irrelevant compared to the physical wounds on your face.

Being reasonable is in fact even more shameful than being offended by someone's remarks, because someone who's offended but doesn't back off at least has more self-respect than someone who lets his opponent warp his mind with words.

Sounds to me like you were bullied as a kid and bought into the "don't worry sweety, your bullies are immature for beating you up" lies your parents told you in order to make you feel better.
What they should have told you is "grow some balls, hit the gym and kick their asses once and for all, then you'll get to say whatever you want to them cause they'll be too afraid to disagree".

Seriously, it isn't worth being that guy that is a pompous douche bag hipster and ruins peoples times just because he is the only one that appreciates prog Rock

Haha words right out of my mouth

I dunno, you get to feel smug, it's a pretty good feeling.

>hating music that's mainstream
Have you not seen this board's love for Death Grips and Radiohead?

Oh trust me if they ask what music I like atleast one person will get slightly interested in what I like or surprised that I don't have Kanye on my iPod. Most just don't care or think I am a old man or satanist. The best though is if I mention something a little less know and that one person gets it. Like that is a huge Segway into conversation

>Hobby in which there is an implicit exchange of social currency.
Ok, i knew I was making a mistake arguing with a tripfag, it is now confirmed, lmao at ur life senpai

Wounds heal, and these wounds in particular warrant lawsuits and imprisonment. Persistent denial and discomfort will not heal unless recognized and dealt with.

>wrap his mind with words
Ah, yes. Words are evil. Omit the fact that words are the single basis of this discourse, this website, and every worthwhile idea in our history. Additionally, I never said there's something wrong with taking offense to what someone says. My argument is that it's infantile to respond to such offense with violence.

>Sounds to me like you were bullied as a kid and bought into the "don't worry sweety, your bullies are immature for beating you up" lies your parents told you in order to make you feel better.
Incorrect and irrelevant.

>What they should have told you is "grow some balls, hit the gym and kick their asses once and for all, then you'll get to say whatever you want to them cause they'll be too afraid to disagree".
And unless your remarks are adequately reasoned and substantiated they'll amount to absolutely nothing, a mere transient satisfaction after which everyone will resume saying you're fool.

I am hereby retiring our discourse and hope you've been merely wasting my time with insincerity.

I don't understand.

yes, why wouldn't I?

Suing someone who beat you up instead of fighting back is simply a more extreme version of calling your dad so he beats up the kid who beat you up.

Once again, you're proving at every turn that you think like a small child, and that you have no business calling others infantile.

There was a thread a few weeks ago wherein I commented that women have it easy in matters pertaining to cultivation of tastes, because men inherently expect less interest and investment from them.

I said this and people decided to make fun of me for it. I wanted additional outside opinion.

This is a fruitless discussion. No need to be obssessed with music tastes, no need to hate somebody for it. But indeed if you happen to see someone with similar tastes it builds bridges between them, a bond i should say. Again making acquintances should be more than just about tastes etc. even if you do not match with someone on tastes no need to be hostile or disrespectful unless they're hostile, offensive themselves.

Just don't think too much about it, let it go.

Ops. I misread your post.

Please explain your reasoning, though.

See . It is not fruitless.

This is a music board. I expect participants to have an interest in music.

I don't see how that comment is relevant, though. This thread isn't about conveying overt hatred or hostility towards those with perceived stunted tastes. It's about holding men and women to a different standard.

>Please explain your reasoning, though.

I don't believe that either gender is particularly inclined to have better taste that the other.

There are a lot of great female musicians--most of my favorite albums from this decade are made by women, actually--so why would I expect females in general to have worse taste than men by default?

It's true that in art music/classical men are far more prevalent that women, and I'm not quite sure what the reason for that is, but I don't let that create a bias in me.

Also, I have more social interaction with men than women, so I don't think it's fair for me to say "all women have inferior taste" when my sample size has an uneven ratio.

I actually met a girl recently who has pretty decent taste, we have talked a lot about music together.

I beleive it's fruitless. Do not insist on it as objective statement, purely from my view.
And it was mostly pointed at those persons who were arguing about childhness of beating someone, suing them calling dad etc etc.

As for what you asked, mostly yes. I try to at least. It would sound rather irrational but i beleive tastes can surpass the stereotypic borders especially if said persons interested in niche genres mostly.

I do. Most people I know listen to pop music so it's all the same to me.

I've met more women with better taste than most dudes. Guarenteed more than half the dudes walking on the street only really like EDM, pop trap, and maybe some Kanye. Most of the women I've met are really into Danny Brown or Bowie.

No, I don't necessarily think it's a consequence of genetics or gender. I think environment is more important.

The average man must maintain several interests with which he can accessorize himself in the eyes of the average women, creatures who can seldom achieve self-sufficiency.

Typically I'd express more on such believes but I suppose perhaps I've just never been exposed to the appropriate crowd. At least I hope that's the case.

I don't feel like doing this anymore. Thread retired.

>creatures who can seldom achieve self-sufficiency.

wtf are you talking about

Dude, just stop.

I'm not talking about anything anymore because I just realize that perhaps my opinion on women is not the most valid.

Did you read that post or do I need to explain it again?

>I don't feel like doing this anymore. Thread retired.
#Altrightisoverparty

Come on man, everything will be fine.

holy shit

go fuck yourself and dont tell me what to do faggot

Who is unty and why is he a meme on this board? I'm new here btw.

if 2 people have the exactly same taste, but different genders this is the rule

man 10/10 want to hang out with
woman 10/10 want to put the penis in the vagina

Nice dogs Bob

He's the black Elliot Rodgers

>Yes I fucking hate the "I listen to everything" bullshit
whats wrong with that? i cant stand people who only listen to maybe 1-2 genres. this older woman at work constantly bitches at me for listening to pop, rock, techno, and orchestral music. she listens to country and super soft rock.

that was the most autistic thing ive heard in a while

I hold women to a higher standard.
It is not often I meet women with good musical taste.
I do not care what your boyfriend listens to.

My I suggest some enya and a cup of decaffinated relaxing tea?

if anyone's wondering where this is from, here
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/mu/thread/S64111683

one of the best threads i've ever been in

>they

Man.... after reading all that, I am overly please with what I posted on the first response to this thread. This here was my one and only reply to him And I sat here reading his replies, thinking he was being at least somewhat objective in his monotonus defense posts. Now I see where his true mentality lies/
So my initial post was spot on, unintentionally. Wow...

And I posted that in a partially serious nature, not only to convey my true feelings, but also to trigger everyone else that came here to reply.
So for the self-praise, but excuse me while I pat myself on the back____________________

Unty, I suggest that you stop being a ostentatious twat before you do meet up with one of us face to face. I am 100% + that I could not hold back from pummeling your prick ass into the nearest public disposal bin.

Take a vacation if you need to. Come back when you have cleared your head of the demons that haunt you.

>hating on unty
you're mad because he's right most of the time

I am not mad at all. Actually, quite amused by this thread and the previous one. - of which I did not participate, as can be derived from my post before yours -

>aura of idiocracy
WEW

I don't understand.

My ideas clearly offend you, even to the extent of violence.

Why not take this opportunity to express your dissent and perhaps steer me and my opinions elsewhere.

>Question: When you meet people in real life and make an assessment of their musical tastes, do you hold men and women to the same standard?
YES, why I woudlnt?

NO, you misunderstood me.
You were pretending to be cordial with your replies after you had been confronted.
Yet you had already been outed for having a condescending attitude towards others with, in your opinion, lesser musical taste than your own.
I read that entire other thread. Both you and Montie were throwing shit every which direction.
Your correct response would have been to respectfully disagree with his accusations and/or opinions and ignore further input.
But instead you continued to argue your point, ultimately revealing your true self.

After seeing that, I am infuriated that I believed you were reasonable. That really grinds my gears bud.

Do take to heart. I meant that.
Re-evaluate your mentality before you meet someone like me. I am fairly calm and try to resolve matters through like attractions, but when I snap, I snap. And I give no warnings.
I will not apologize for my actions if pushed to the edge because my mind has been made up that there is no other recourse at that point.

I am going to stop right here because I choose to not indulge in violence if it can be avoided.
That is all.

That thread was several months ago and scarcely reflects me as a person today.

I was not pretending to be cordial. I don't know what I'd have to gain from that.

I dated a girl for a while who was into classical and the avant-garde, and was an incredibly talented singer, but honestly she was such a bitch. I'm not saying she was exemplary of all women with cultured tastes, but I'm currently dating a girl who worships grimes and I've never been happier. I don't usually judge women differently based on their tastes, but it sure as hell reinforces my opinion if they're already terrible

>vew-crew
what did he mean by this

grimes is the highest culture.
your girl knows better than you.