Americans say they hate "soccer" but the World Cup they hosted in 1994 was the one that had the most attendance ever...

Americans say they hate "soccer" but the World Cup they hosted in 1994 was the one that had the most attendance ever. Not even Germany or Brazil brought so many people to the stadiums, and they are countries where football is the no°1 sport and there is a big thing for World Cups. What's your excuse?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=WZjtX1QrYW4
youtube.com/watch?v=PZns4du_MA4
youtu.be/BAKsGT9-XB0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

a lot more people in america

Probably due to the fact that this country is about half spic.

>Germany

Not even 100m people.

>Brazil

Lots more people but it's a fucking shithole and people can't afford to go to the games

America is full of fuccbois who do what society tells them. I remember when America advanced from the group stage in the world cup, and suddenly all the people who thought soccer was gay could do nothing but talk about it.

their stadiums are huge. Ours used to fit a lot of people but theirs fit more than 100k seats.

Tourism. I wouldn't touch Brazil with a 10 foot pole, but I'd love to go to Chicago or New York or LA.

big ass stadiums

cheap tickets?

Large stadiums.

Good infrastructure.

Lots of people.

Not a corrupt shithole

We generally have more spending money and definitely have more people

American football stadiums pretty much all have at least 60,000 seats, and a lot of college stadiums do as well. So you're looking at about 50 stadiums, which can seat anywhere from 60,000 to 100,000 people, all built long before the US even put in a WC bid. Smashing attendance records was inevitable.

Kek this. And then idiots like kornheiser and wilbon started spouting their idiotic opinions

Brazil is a big country.

Nowadays there are more Americans that are really into soccer than really hate soccer.

The vast majority of the population are casuals and day trippers: not into it that much, but care about big events like the World Cup and, to a lesser extent, the Euros and the CL Final.

Plenty of Americans like soccer. And there are a lot of immigrants here. Plus, we have great stadiums, great infrastructure, and can handle tourism/big events.

Brazil has about 2/3 as many people as the US, and tbe vast majority of them can't afford tickets to a soccer game because the median income on Brazil is so low.

For you

I sometimes wish USA stopped playing their stupid shit sports and played football. Imagine if the MLS was better than Euro leagues and the CONCACAF was stronk. Also the national team would perform well in WCs and Copas Americas

And we'd see much more goat players than what we see now, because USA has such a huge population

but i like handegg

Sup Forums has absolutely no idea what they're talking about, as usual.

Every single game of the 2014 WC had over 95% attendance, and hordes of hundreds of thousands of people who couldn't get tickets, as is the case with every WC.

US just has big-ass stadiums.

Shut the fuck up, let's be relevant in a relevant sport

Brazil is cool as fuck, don't believe the memes. I went to Rio, Sao Paulo, and Brasilia and the only people who had problems were lost looking white tourists wandering aimlessly on their phones

Big stadiums

Look at the list of the top ten biggest stadiums in the world, I think we're 8 of the top ten

Actually we didn't have as many people in statiums as US because our stadiums were smaller. It didn't had anything to do with money because a lot of people couldn't get tickets although they really tried to.

We didn't build stadiums for the event, they used football stadiums since it was the summer so they weren't in use

Demand for tickets will almost never be an problem for WCs because there are a ton of rich Europeans and Asians who want to travel to the events

Most people on Sup Forums are so fucking stupid.
Us soccer is way older than Brazilian soccer.
One of reasons soccer didn't catch on as much here is that it's associated with British imperialism, even though by the time it got here other countries were playing it too. I guess brazillians didn't care about that.
It's funny when people say soccer is for poor communist pussies too because it's American sports that have the draft system, no relegation, revenue sharing and a high value on parity. Meanwhile in soccer outside the U.S. The biggest warchest usually wins.
Hockey is a Canadian sport, and Americans don't seem to have a problem with that.
All you anti-Soccer nuts just relax. Soccer will never be the #1 sport here as long as it discriminates against fat people.

Because everyone here are casual fans who only care about the World Cup.

We have huge stadiums and a lot of people. Add tourism to it and there you go.

Post of the day

We got big stadiums, my dude

Don't most other sports discriminate against fat people too?

10/10

>be bad at something
>discrimination

you might be right

Fat people can have certain skill positions in football (lineman), in basketball you can be really tall and fat and be decent (not elite), baseball you can be a designated hitter and be fat, and in hockey you can be pretty big no matter what.

ehhh

the thing is, you can be fat and be a football player, but most fat people cant be football players, because they are fat due to lack of exercise

to play football as a fat guy you have to be fat in spite of exercise, because you just eat too much greasy food and simple carbs and do mostly strength training and not as much endurance training

that description does not apply to very many fat people

what appeals to fat people is WATCHING sports and the only reason soccer is not more popular in the US is that it missed its chance, so to speak, for whatever irrational cultural reasons, americans preferred other sports and now its too late for soccer to compete with the other sports for american's attention, and thats not a bad thing for either soccer or america, both can do without the other just fine nor is there any tension between them, american soccer fans cant really complain about anything besides our national team being bad

bigger stadiums

no wonder your country is poor

youtube.com/watch?v=WZjtX1QrYW4

Dude the Simpsons summarized pretty much how the WC was received there: people going to the stadiums to get bored to the death, most -if not all of them- didnt understand how offside worked, playing games at 14:00 with 36°C so players were tired at min 30' (since then it was prohibited to play at such a high degrees), etc, etc, etc.

tl;dr people went to the WC because they found it a novelty rather than really caring about football.

>Soccer will never be the #1 sport here as long as it discriminates against fat people.
Best thing I've read today. Kudos

we can't just snap our fingers and wish MLS to be Euro beaters, the league is only 22 year olds its incorrect to assume we don't play the sport, when we have millions that play and watch. Soccer is expanding here faster than it ever has, it's pretty much inevitable that MLS/USA will become one of the marquee names internationally only a matter of time. It's bittersweet in a way, MLS is a very comfy league where you get to sit close enough to see your teams players facial expressions, one day stadiums will be full of casuals and the children of euroboos who watch anything but MLS

Didn't they use NFL stadiums and shit like that for the matches? Well that explains, the stadiums were bigger you retard.

t. a "soccer" lover

If you love soccer so much, why don't you got to Europe?

>tfw my college has higher capacity stadiums then most 'top clubs' in yuropaland

MLS will never be a great league

I'm actually born there la

So go back,

Cool. But that doesn't disprove the point that attendance in '94 was because there is a bigger population in America with more disposable income for the games. Not to mention the travel cost was probably way lower for visiting countries' fans to attend.

did you know FIFA & USA FA create pamplhet to teach to the american the difference between american football, american soccer & football before the 1994 wc?

Feels good man

I will after I'm done taking all these federal scholarships for free college

mls is one of the most entertaining and competitive leagues in the world in all honesty

do you guys cancel games on rainy days?

National football quality is mainly defined by football culture, not by population

We have a good national team, all things considered. Our main problems are:

1. Lack of creativity/technical ability in American-born players

2. Subpar youth development program. Our young players don't get enough games against elite competition unless they have a European grandfather like Pulisic and can get into the academies of top Euro clubs

This. Most retarded argument ever repeated on Sup Forums is that a country with more people should have a national team better than a smaller country. You only play 11 at a time, not 300 million against 2 million

We're important enough to make any sport relevant

Not everyone in America has the same opinion. Who would've thought?

Not many fatties in hockey

94' World Cup was the GOAT pinball machine.

Looks kinda third-world.

Just because America is a great host and knows how to throw a party doesn't mean we like the music that's playing

well the average stadiums used in the world cups here are between 60k- 90k people so it's easy to beat a poor shithole like germany or brazil

They do not, football games are played regardless of weather unless people are gonna die

They've played games in full blizzards before

It's a college stadium with tradition

my ancestors left europe because of their shitty culture, why the fuck would i play their sports?

>yuros will never know the joy of summer day drinking at a ball game

'no'

youtube.com/watch?v=PZns4du_MA4

every world cup has a 99+% attendance, it's just that american "stadiums" had bleachers instead of individual seating

Not true
Really only college stadiums have bleachers

That's because we can afford giant stadiums. People will go because it's something to do. Poor people don't understand expendable income.

i'm talking about 94. rose bowl and all those other hideous concrete shitholes

Sorry it looks like most your country, familamadingdong. Hell, that stadium is older than democracy in Brazil.

4 of those stadiums weren't NFL stadiums
But 3 of the 4 could have easily been replaced
Citrus Bowl to Miami or Tampa
Stanford Stadium to San Francisco
Cotton Bowl to Irving (Where the Cowboys played at the time)
Not sure about the Rose Bowl because that's a place that's steeped in tradition

youtu.be/BAKsGT9-XB0

>Diana Ross

There's one at my local arcade

Golly gee, the country with the most disposable income didn't have to go out of their way to see what was essentially a novelty sport (at the time for Americans). I can't believe they did that...

Because Americans beg and crave for whatever ejaculates from Europe. They would actually pay humongous amounts for the chance of experience and consuming our fluids, then meet up with the Lardys, the Phonys and other neighbours in the local burger restaurant and chat this flashy stories about being an experienced conoisseur and consumer of the proverbial yuropean jizz.

It's a sign of high social status.

>he typed on his iphone before putting on his nikes and going to the movie theater

Wasn't it because they already had superior infrastructure in place while other places had to scramble to build them?

>US just has big-ass stadiums
So, Brazil built stadiums smaller than those in the US? You people blew it.

Of course
We could give each game its own 50k+ stadium if we wanted to

Its only entertaining because of how bad all the players are. You never know when they're gonna drop the inevitable spaghetti.

>One of reasons soccer didn't catch on as much here is that it's associated with British imperialism
No.
Soccer died here because pre 1930 all sports were amateur only. You got good at your local university playing other universities.

The first 'football' style game to be codified by an American University was Rugby at Harvard, and everyone else just kind of went along with it so they had something to compete in. We morphed that into gridiron football.

This tbqh, our youth development is almost 100% scholastic, which means it sucks ass because no middle/high school is going to spend money on their soccer programs.

What was that woman's name again who tried a penalty shot at the opening ceremony from like 6 yards and still missed?

Diana Ross

>Soccer died here because pre 1930 all sports were amateur only.

Baseball has been professional since the 1870s

>French flag

World Cup is a World Cup. It doesn't matter if you don't even know soccer is played with only your feet, every single person knows what a massive event it is.

I'm more interested in seeing attendance figures for the Copa America. Prices are like triple what the should be and some great matches like Ecuador/Haiti are taking place in 80,000 seaters. Not that many relevant immigrants, is there?

>USA hosts the biggest championship of a sport it doesn't even care about
>It blasts off all previous yuropoor versions of the said championship

Why is USA so strong lads?

>what is cricket