youtube.com/watch?v=ljHwRNrp-AY
youtube.com/watch?v=MdtwcIMjKiw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

What an experience

haven't heard any of these albums except for OP's

where do I start and which ones can I ignore

Listen to ignore the rest

these ones

Lift Your Skinny Fists is a definite must.
Mellon Collie is also P good.
Painful as well.
IDK about the others though.

THIS

all of them are good choices

Im not sure about mine because its hard to describe without using the word "retro" or "synthwave", which puts people off. But its really an amazing album from start to finish, it sounds the way it looks

Mellon Collie and Souvlaki, ignore the rest

i didn't like this until long after i'd already given up on it and sold my copy to a thrift store
relistening to it about six months later, i fell in love with it
within two weeks i bought it a cd and a vinyl copy

Blonde on Blonde as well. Man to hear Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands for the first time again...

I just listened to that for the first time a few weeks ago and it was incredibly nondescript and boring. Still hoping they are good live.

AS THE SUN HITS SHE'ILL BE WAITING
WITH HER COOOFFINS
UNDER HEAVEEEN

Its so magical.

None of their albums are consistently great in my opinion but this captures their career highlights so wonderfully

nah you're right. it is boring

Floral Shoppe

This album always sounds great

the first time I heard Sad Eyed Lady I was bored out of my mind.

On the other hand, To hear Sad Eyed Lady the moment it clicked again. Id trade anything.

DESU the second listening is always way better than the first

Would be good

Wouldn't be anything special

I'm not even a huge GY!BE fan, but hearing this for the first time again would be incredible.

This album is magical desu

It didn't click until A New Kind of Water came on
Then I was hooked

i want to shit my pants and laugh uncontrollably again

All 3 Slowdive albums t b h

I would listen to Twenty One Pilots hundreds of times just to hear this for the first time again.

That is some fucking dope album art

downloading now and bumping up to next in queue

This was the album that made listening to all of the "weird" stuff Sup Forums liked, like King Crimson or Beefheart worth it.

I doubt it had the same effect on anyone but listening to the first time had this odd effect on me. It was like F#A#, for the first time, the atmosphere just sucked me in, but unlike F#A# where the images I got were overpowering and almost like a vision, I could just feel it. i remember sitting on my porch in the orange glow of the lights on the last third of the album and just thinking "things are fucked."

Glad to see someone on Sup Forums other than me appreciates this album.

This album is perfect for right after a breakup.
Hearing this as a teenager, I remember thinking midway through the second or third song "the sound of most bands is the size of a town, the sound of Archive is the size of a mountain",granted that was before I found Sup Forumssic

fuck yes. first time i listened to it was when i was 18, last year. it was 3 am and i was on my porch stargazing. i will never recapture that feeling of awe and bliss and just feeling so one with the universe. and with Jonathon.

If you are currently suffering depression, this album kicks your chest like a mule.
The album isn't some big pretentious thing where he's trying to say something. It's mostly just Smith describing his nightmares/nightmarish scenarios and what his depression is doing to him, but it hits hard.

Siamese Twins/The Figurehead is one of the greatest two song sections of any album ever.
"I chose an eternity of this..."
"Leave me alone and sleeping less every night..."

Have you heard the two bonus tracks from the album yet bro?

i don't think i have, actually

Let me get them for you, they're all pretty good.

There's The Eulogy, which is pretty obviously supposed to be placed after the final track to mourn Johnathan's Death:
youtube.com/watch?v=8nilD52GVC8

Next, Phantoms in the Mirror which is one of my favorite: youtube.com/watch?v=o9EG1jrRWXc
It casts the Mirror as a villain and demonstrates Johnathan's slow growing insanity. Some of the lyrics on here just bite to me. "And youuuu'll runn but you won't run far...."

You'll LOVE this one: youtube.com/watch?v=ljHwRNrp-AY
The Story of Johnathan. It's the story of the album read by Blackie Lawless himself. Ignore the video if you want.

>it sounds the way it looks
damn right it does, this shit is off the chain

I wish I could have the same experience I did with this album the first time.

For anyone listening for the first time, listen to it in Mono and then Stereo and you get to experience it twice. Seriously. It sounds cheesy but it's true.

The only albums I listened in the Antlers discography are this one and Hospice, what other album should I listen from them?

I honestly don't know because I am in the same boat.

fucking marry me

I mean is it really above Twenty One Pilots user?

I know this would sound like pleb faggot teen nostalfag, but really, before I listened to this album (many years ago), somehow I wasn't so much into music. I haven't listened this album (or the band, for that matter) in years, but fuck I miss it.

This for sure.
Listening to this for the first time now. Shits good.

Shit, I fucking know. That album is amazing. I can't believe he's playing shit from it again.

Undersea = Familiars > Burst Apart > Uprooted imo

Undersea is a short listen but fucking amazing psych pop while Familiars is sad and mature dream pop (and both are amazing imo), Burst Apart and Uprooted havre a few good songs each.

fuck the first time i heard this i said ''okay'' and ''oh shit'' so many times

listened to the two tracks, now going through the story of Jonathon. these own. thank you so much, user.

You're welcome man. I discovered the album via the Best of the Best WASP Compilation I bought a long, long time ago where they included 3 tracks. I ended up buying the special edition of the album. Outside of the Bonus tracks it's not worth it at all. There is a selection of live tracks that are cringey as fuck because Blackie can't hit the high notes.
Honestly though, the album got me through the lonelier side of my teenage years in a way. Writing wise, it's one of the tightest story-based concepts albums I've ever seen. The composition, dynamics, motiffs, and just the way it uses various techniques to tell its story is amazing. Stuff like the intro to I Am One still give me goosebumps. It's very good at making you connect to Johnathan, and feeling his pain in a very human way. There's so many great lyrics on that album, and even now I'm getting goosebumps re-listening to some of it.

I even found the album on Cassette once somewhere and bought it because chances are that's not a common sight.

Long live the King of Mercy...

Oh nearly forgot, favorite track is probably either The Great Misconception of Me or Arena of Pleasure.

I'd do anything to hear this for the first time again.

mine is Great Misconceptions of Me, by far, but the entire album is fantastic so...

Great answer

To some degree, The Glowing Man.
The first time, I think I was sitting shirtless in a chair in the dark and I saw myself walking in the desert and becoming a multi armed hindu fire god.

:(

Yes

Grouper is so fucking underrated

are you kidding this shit was weak

It would be great

this blew me away the first time

i want to hear the climax of still life for the first time again

it was so incredible

if you haven't heard the Souvlaki demos and outtakes yet you might be able to recoup some of that feeling, OP
youtube.com/watch?v=MdtwcIMjKiw

Inside World still gives me goosebumps

I feel this so much

>oh wouldn't it be nice

>Being able to say "wtf is this garbage" again
I still don't like 93 Ave though

It didn't click for me the first few times. 40 Days was the only one that stood out, and it took me some time and a few more listens to start appreciating a song or two more off of the album with each listen. I still can't fully enjoy the last 3 tracks.

I'm listening to it right now for the first time, and I want it again fuck meeee

Boxer by The National

I've recently listened to Londinium after hearing Controlling Crowds, and it's pretty great. Archive are super-good.

souvlaki and jimmy eat world static prevails