ITT

Bands too good for this world I'll start: Animal Collective

Sup Forumstants are realizing that they aren't good and that they're just a meme.

it's happening.

they ain't good my son.

yeah, ANCO is definitely """"""good""""""

nice meme

Animal Collective is legitimately one of the worst bands of all time.

This is what happens when a bunch of faux-artsy numales really want to be cool and different but are too dumb and uninteresting to do it any way possible and also think they're too good for anything that conveys any kind of emotion. Or is catchy. Or is written well. Or has anything redeeming.

Listening to this god-awful band is like having an 8th grader beat me over the head with a finger painting. It is so contrived it's agonizing. These guys so hard to be artsy it sounds like the members have veigns popping out of their forehead.

It goes out of its way to be different because it has no other ways to be interesting and the way it's different is just random bullshit. It's lame as fuck and them cranking that factor up to 11 doesn't change that.

I don't expect any kind of rebuttal because their fans are the worst kind of hipsters that act like babies when someone doesn't like what they like and think insulting someone is an argument.

Animal Collective is legitimately one of the worst bands of all time.

This is what happens when a bunch of faux-artsy numales really want to be cool and different but are too dumb and uninteresting to do it any way possible and also think they're too good for anything that conveys any kind of emotion. Or is catchy. Or is written well. Or has anything redeeming.

Listening to this god-awful band is like having an 8th grader beat me over the head with a finger painting. It is so contrived it's agonizing. These guys so hard to be artsy it sounds like the members have veigns popping out of their forehead.

It goes out of its way to be different because it has no other ways to be interesting and the way it's different is just random bullshit. It's lame as fuck and them cranking that factor up to 11 doesn't change that.

I don't expect any kind of rebuttal because their fans are the worst kind of hipsters that act like babies when someone doesn't like what they like and think insulting someone is an argument.

(OP)
Sup Forumstants are realizing that they aren't good and that they're just a meme.

it's happening.

they ain't good my son.

yeah but Grizzly Bear is dope solo

I enjoy the music of Animal Collective

There's no way I'm going to not get made fun of for this, but sometimes I'm amazed that a band that good actually existed. It's like everything I like from all my other favorite artists in its purest, most direct form, and there are so many releases, EPs, singles, etc. it's just like candy in the form of music for me. It's like they knew exactly what I wanted out of music and just gave me that.

JUST

The problem is that Animal Collective are a special kind of unlistenable; their albums don't reward active engagement, but they don't make good background music, either. Their brand of twee is cloying and grating like an attention-starved, sugar-crashing eight-year-old who wants you to admire his finger painting, while you're trying to wash the dishes.

I love them and I genuinely don't care that you dislike them, you're just acting like a whining baby right now complaining about a band you don't like, which is just as immature as the "hipsters" you hate

what is this from

oh

He'll probably look like Jimmy Page when he's old.

To me, they actually do award active listening, I listened to MPP like 5 times before I liked it and its one of my favorite albums, but they're the type of band that you either like or don't, with almost no in between, I love them, but I understand why people don't

I totally agree

Come on man, their output of the 2000's was fucking incredible.

I feel like I'm going to make Animal Collective fans mad in saying this (I am one by the way) but they're basically to us what the Grateful Dead were to our parents generation. You either love them and think they're the most amazing thing in the world, or you hate them and think that anyone who likes them is an idiot.

I agree user. They're not for everyone but I think for the type of music listeners their style appeals to they are perfect. I am also glad that they're ok with just making music for their fans and themselves now and aren't trying to recapture previous success.

oh his face looks better when its uncropped good

>I am also glad that they're ok with just making music for their fans and themselves now and aren't trying to recapture previous success.
Yeah but I still wish they'd take more risks. Their recent output doesn't seem to challenge you in any way, at least not in a way that's pleasurable or exciting. Centipede Hz felt kind of disjointed, like their ambitions were always someplace else. Painting With is more focused, but the energy feels zapped, and I've also noticed that they seem pretty depressed in recent interviews.

>I've also noticed that they seem pretty depressed in recent interviews.
I think it's just that they're old. I don't want to argue about it in this thread but I think they're doing fine. Painting With is not really challenging for the listener but it deviates more from the standard AnCo 'formula' than most of their stuff after HCTI does and they've been pretty open that they deliberately challenged themselves to write music in a different way. Whether or not that worked out is up to you. They've also been putting a lot more energy into the songs lived, seems much more natural for them.