Name a 2010s indie album that's more of a game-changing classic than Visions and Art Angels

Name a 2010s indie album that's more of a game-changing classic than Visions and Art Angels.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=vKNcuTWzTVw
nme.com/reviews/arctic-monkeys/14752
youtube.com/watch?v=_mTRvJ9fugM
youtube.com/watch?v=iiUt6Ad3LHI
youtube.com/watch?v=5oqxz6hpGbs
youtube.com/watch?v=c2EJMd7ZN7w
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Why...every day?

>Visions and Art Angels
>game-changing classics

>fails to find any other albums that are superior to grimes in vision and influence

this isn't bait anons. i'm not saying you can't. you just need to identify what these albums are, and why did they present more new ideas than grimes within the context of indie.

Twenty one pilots - blurryface

Sorry but that's taking it a bit too far.

what game has grimes changed and how
(she hasn't)

what about it is a game changer? Is it so revolutionary that its style is being replicated by other indie artists? If not. its just one of many.

>game-changing
How much did it really change "the game" because I don't know a single person who has heard of Grimes.

Lol twee girls doing indietronica are somehow game changing?

If we're going by that genre alone Tune-Yards is even more game-changing and by game-changing I mean creative

Her shit is extremely bland white girl shit with no unique patterns or instrumentation

First time hearing about the album so it can't be that "game changing" , but is that grimes? Yea, it is. It's probably terrible.

youtube.com/watch?v=vKNcuTWzTVw
clearly she is a great and enlgihtened artist not producing mass marketed generic crap like every other shitty pop artist of today

oh wait

shes not

Chairlift, Beach House, and Tune-Yards are must more respectful female pop artists that are much more talented and produce more interesting music than fucking Grimes

Benji.

Yeezus

Indie post-country.

nme.com/reviews/arctic-monkeys/14752

I remember the game being different before this came out.

>Judging Marina of her worst song
That song was made for america, so of course it's generic as fuck. Have you listened to Froot or hollywood? Also the song you posted isn't even on the Album i posted

indie isn't a genre, but if you mean albums that were written/recorded/produced without external help, then i can name a shitload which were more "game-changing" than those slabs of pop mediocrity. idk if you don't like these, they were undeniably more influential than grimes

>any death grips album
>any oneohtrix album
>any arca album
>deathspell omega - paracletus
>james ferraro - farside virtual
>dj rashad - double cup
>sophie - product
>liturgy - aesthethica

but serioiusly though. what new ideas has grimes ever brought to the table? it's fucking synthpop. it's basically a slightly more abrasive chvrches

name a game-changing '10s indie pop album

nearly every album that i listed is a pop album.

>death grips is the same genre as grimes

ok

>they don't know
>title predicts how underappreciated Aldean, America's avant-garde treasure, will be upon release
>"they don't": present tense; the implication is clear: they don't, but rhey will.
>Through the act of posting this masterpiece, user is spreading the word of HRM Aldean, this fulfilling Aldean's prophecy
>JA foresaw even this

P O T T E R Y
O
T
T
E
R
Y

can't deny the influence

i never said that. pop just means something that isn't classical or folk. if you mean radio pop, then there aren't going to be any 'game-changing' artists, because making that kind of music is nothing more than following a shitty formula.

As a meme and as a serious album

what genre of autism do you have

Idk, I feel like I didn't start hearing shitty alt-folk-rock on the radio until this album started getting play.

How does an indie artist effect more influence? Something game-changing would be somebody popular like lady gaga.

once again, indie isn't a genre, nor a relevant descriptor within this context.
>the velvet underground
>can
>television
>slint
nobody even knew who these guys were for a long time, but now they're some of the most influential artists in modern rock music.

what has lady gaga done to change the game aside from wearing meat as a dress?
popularity=/=influence

you're so close to understanding the question now.

is there anyone recent that's almost as influential as the top list that sounds like the bottom person

arguable candidates so far:

beach house - teen dream (2010)
tuneyards - whokill (2011)

neither of these is better, more original or more game changing than the grimes albums, but they did have some effect. one can even try to argue it was equal to visions and art angels, although each of these artists only produced one 2010s album with such an effect, and thereafter imitated themselves, whereas grimes made two game changing breakthroughs.

please note, grimes also created another album in the current decade, halfaxa, which i did not include because it had a limited influence on other artists, and presented a set of sounds that had been made together in one album before, although not as expertly. almost every other album listed by anons resembles halfaxa in that way. they may be masterpieces (halfaxa is, although most anons' suggestions aren't) but they aren't game changers.

possibly arguable in the future, once we see what sort of influence it has:

anohni - hopelessness (2016)

there were also artists (chairlift, and beach house to an extent) whose most influential work preceded the 2010s.

and there were albums that may or may not be more game changing but are not relevant to the question because they are experimental electronic music, not song-based "indie" (which is in fact, a genre, just a vague one with arbitrary shifting definitions- none of which encompass a certain user's choices).

grimes identifies with electronic musicians and does draw strong influence from that scene- but, she, like all the other anons' suggestions, is making song-based popular music with her own vocals, not abstract beats with sampled or no vocals. thus, comparing would be rather nonsensical, which is why i specified "indie."

beach house is derivative trash though. tuneyards were unique and interesting, but i have yet to hear any bands that were influenced by them.

>is there anyone recent that's almost as influential as the top list that sounds like the bottom person
i guess i still don't understand the question

oh also, yes, james blake is a good suggestion. he went "pop" on the st, and like grimes herself, had already been flirting with it (like her- more than others in his underground scene, isolating him somewhat) on previous releases.

the james blake self titled is the first suggestion that actually equals visions and art angels in influence. good idea. but blake's style has evolved very gradually since then, meaning that although highly acclaimed, his subsequent albums are not game changers in the same way. so he has one, to her two (if we throw in EPs, it would be more competitive). furthermore, the self titled is a great record, but not a masterpiece at the level of visions.

>tfw someone is trying to compete against the best artist of the decade

i'm carefully limiting the parameters to "indie" artists.

i don't believe competitions between completely different types of music make any sense.

if grimes has any actual hits, at that point it will make more sense to compare her to rihanna and bieber.

if she decides to make a "harsh noise album" or experimental beats without vocals, then we can compare her to the vaporwave scene and dj rashad.

right now, her audience (both lovers and haters of grimes, and those indifferent- anyone aware of her at all) is mostly composed of listeners of "indie" music. when people diss her, that's primarily what they're comparing her to. and in a way, other comparisons aren't fair, in the same way comparing kid a and aphex twin was always dumb, because she isn't pretending to make that kind of work.

whether grimes or kendrick lamar is better, or whether grimes or james ferraro is better, is not the issue here (i love both those artists far more than almost any "indie" artists). rather, it's pop oriented indie acts like death grips, tame impala, tuneyards, beach house, chairlift, anohni, and james blake, to which comparison makes sense. bon iver and swans as well.

my contention is that none of these acts made two albums in the current decade as singular and masterful as the two by grimes, and few if any, even made one.

All these words and you've still failed to specify what Grimes' influence on the indie scene actually is. How exactly has Visions and Art Angels influenced the outside indie world?

beach house aren't "trash," at least not before bloom. even now, they're a likable enough mediocrity, and serve their purpose as sexy mood music for indie kids who still don't get r&b, and lack the subtlety to appreciate, say, mazzy star, let alone actual classic country music or '60s french pop. bloom was liked by a girl i knew so i don't want to diss it too hard, it does have awesome cover art and some of the songs even have great lyrics (for which beach house are highly underrated) but it was kind of offensive in its sheer avoidance of anything different from their past work, while slicking up the sound to the point of impersonal. what made their first two or three releases good was the handmade quality, which, along with the interplay of victoria and alex, introduced a new romanticism to 2000s indie (indeed, helped define what "indie" meant, in the early years as that term displaced the more abrasive "alternative" as the default term about a decade ago). these warm qualities have been progressively lost in their career arc, which comes closer to classic "sellout" than any other indie band today. even teen dream, which is their only notable 2010s release, is basically just devotion 2: more budget. the only argument for teen dream as a decade defining album is that it was sampled by the weeknd, and thereby had some influence on pop and r&b. but devotion (2008) was also sampled by the weeknd.

Beach House are one of those paycheck bands that make offensively accessible music that all sounds the same.

There is no inherent selling-out when they superficially develop by tweaking their sound into something they could have just started out with
The intention of change is to appear capable of variety so people don't realize they're indie Nickleback.

hey, well kudos for actually typing out a level-headed, well-thought-out response. perhaps trash was a bit harsh. i've just always seen them as generic dream pop. not to say that it's bad, but it's just not something i would call influential or game-changing. you made some decent points though.

visions introduced modern r&b/pop influences into indie, mixing them with genres (idm/ambient, new age, dream pop, classical) that had not previously been explored in the same album, or if so, any albums mixing this set of sounds had received zero attention. the mode of production (regardless of whether it was made by one person, or what their sex was) is also notable. visions was a masterpiece created entirely in garageband, and this had really not been seen before in popular music, at least outside rap.

r&b affectations, usually presented with an ironic, political, david byrne-ian twist, had started to be explored by a number of acts, usually brooklyn based, between 2006-2011. tuneyards' 2011 album owes a lot to these acts, like dirty projectors and tv on the radio, as well as to byrne/eno's own sample based '80s work (which is an argument for why the tuneyards album wasn't all that game changing after all- aside from the fact that it was not as widely heard as it deserved to be, it followed the well trodden path of many earlier artists).

visions, in contrast to the above, tastefully acceptable rockist r&b flirtations, was unabashed in its pop and r&b affiliations. at the same time, unlike chairlift (a great, great band, who are highly underrated- and friends of grimes) visions cannot be described as simply a blue eyed soul record, 2010s style. instead of just offering sincere, playful, serious, sweetly unironic white r&b (already a huge artistic accomplishment on chairlift's part- although they would not perfect this style until after visions), visions does something more radical, mixing together synthetic r&b with a set of other traditionally-seen-as-bad-by-rockists-but-secretly-great genres.

INDIE ISN'T A GENRE

All that was just a reinvention of her own sound. It still didn't influence any other indie musicians,
The albums were only game changers in relation to what she produced before as relates to her own style of music. Not to the indie scene as a whole

in so doing, visions was the ultimate punk statement- the end of punk and indie rock orthodoxy, which had established itself, thanks to the gen xers, as an oppressive ideology just as much as those earlier ideologies of classic rock it had once sought to replace.

grimes was one of the first millennial artists to create a classic of song based popular music, and possibly *the* first to receive wide attention for creating it using distinctively digital millennial means. but even more important, she alone was responsible for finally destroying (outside reactionary bastions like Sup Forums) the bullshit ideology of the elder generations, rockism, which has no place whatsoever (whatever your genre preferences) in the 2010s world where everything (even rock itself) is affected by technology.

for the first time in indie history, an artist dared to reject "rock" without qualms, in a way that proved to have a lasting effect. visions killed rockism. it made possible everything in indie since, for better or worse. it was the most influential album on indie or alternative or whatever we call it, since kid a.

A band it's-self is not indie, but it is when categorized among others. It's a containment genre.

ps. if you don't personally remember how the indie scene was before grimes, please trust those of us who remember it. it's very hard to see now, why visions is anything special and why it caused so much fuss (and controversy- this is why it was an 8.5 p4k score, not a 9 range, like they give easy-to-digest beach house records) on its initial release. that's exactly because it rewrote every rule in indie since then, to the point that imitating mariah carey (grimes' major influence at the time) is to 2010s indie, what imitating lou reed was in the '90s.

grimes herself, made yet another radical statement with art angels, where she (misunderstood by many) rejects the new poptimist dogma that visions, its imitators, and critical defenders had established. art angels indulges in noise, rock, industrial influences, and revives the old, seemingly dead and buried "alternative" of the '90s- the "fridge buzz" thom yorke had killed off with kid a, inaugurating a decade of tasteful electronic flirtations that culminated in the deconstruction of indie, on visions.

maybe not as "game changing" as your meme-wave but definitely a classic

radiohead and grimes are both shit though

Kanye West - Yeezus

jai paul's leak surpasses grimes whole discography in every possible way

I can't. These albums are decade defining.

And they made only by this mysterious fairy girl who came from out of nowhere.

>Her shit is extremely bland white girl shit with no unique patterns or instrumentation
Huh? Name similar albums to Visions and Art Angels.

They're not. They're all bland. Beach House made the same album over and over, Chairlift did a weak debut-strong follow up-shit album (this year), Tune Yards is just overrated crap.

Crap albums. You have shit taste.

Good points.

Grimes delivered 2 masterpieces in a row, plus 2 other great older albums and an EP. I don't know any artist on this decade to be this consistent.

THIS, FUCKING THIS

Give it more time. Anyway, even now there are loads of Soundcloud musicians trying to copy her style. Read The Line of Best Fit or DIY Mag to find many of them.

And the Visions' influence will only grow with time.

b8

its funny everytime grimes threads become low in post
they go back to making clickbait
truly pathetic human beings

fucking who is this?

Vampire Weekends two releases are better and more influential by an 'indie act'(cringe) this decade.

fuck you

What is indie?

tfw people only think she's such a 'great artist' because she's weird and awkward.

>its funny everytime grimes threads become low in post
You're stupid. The last one was deleted by mods for who fucking knows what reason.

>they go back to making clickbait
And you baited like a naive pleb?

>truly pathetic human beings
(You)

Lonerism

AMSP

Not really.

Grimes has changed nothing

Only 2010s artist that has is Death Grips, not even memeing

I have that shirt.

>visions was a masterpiece created entirely in garageband, and this had really not been seen before in popular music, at least outside rap.
Yes. Imo this is a HUGE factor when considering the relevance of Grimes' music to "indie" music in general (imo Visions more than Art Angels - I'll get to that later.)

Prior to the release of Visions, total self-production (using a consumer-level DAW on the level of Garageband no less) was not seen as a viable pathway for an artist ("indie" or otherwise) to produce anything but serviceable music. Yes - there are many fine examples of other artists/groups at that time (or even years earlier) producing very fine music with as much or less in terms of production technology to work with. But for someone to have produced what is universally regarded as their "professional upgrade" album while STILL relying on the same sort of "introductory-level" diy-loner production techniques is about as game-changing to the "indie" music industry as you can get.

Which is where Art Angels comes in, because it is doing essentially the same thing that Visions did in terms of redefining people's perceptions about acceptable means of production for professional-level Indie music - except this time for professional-level Pop.

Sure, in purely musical terms the influence of Grimes on her contemporaries might be difficult to spot (although the evidence is there - as the user I quoted already points out.) But imo the trickle-down effect of these albums' existence (in terms of the shifting dynamics of professional-level record production they signify in the music business) is likely to prove one of - if not THE MOST - significant game-changing developments in music culture of the 21st century.

grimes is cia operative designed to spy on russia

its jsut so transparent

This is the only correct answer ITT. James Blake's influence has been littering the musical landscape since this album's release and it's the only album posted that's had any impact on non-indie music.

did you even read my post? idgaf if you like them or not. they are objectively more influential than le 4/4 synth arpeggio with reverb vocals on top. grimes is no different than any other synthpop

fucking THIS. grimesfags have invented this imaginary genre so they can say she's the best within it without meeting contention from other anons.

>grimes is no different than any other synthpop
At this point you're just baiting. Prove me wrong by posting other synthpop artists that did music like her (with a range from Sagrad and Rosa to Scream and Kill V. Maim).

>this imaginary genre
She has her own genre. No one is like her. Zero artists like her.

yes, we conspired to invent a genre that has radio stations and sales charts and spotify and apple music official playlists dedicated to it, we engineered everything you see around you with the word "indie," just to prove the greatness of grimes.

maybe you're just struggling with the realization that no other artist in this actual genre (the one many of your faves belong to) can exceed her influence. that's ok. not all influence is good. you can have an opinion like scaruffi hating the beatles, or albini hating prince, or zappa hating bowie. just recognize she is, along with one or two others (james blake, maaaybe bon iver, beach house or death grips), the most influential 2010s indie artist, and the only one who created two (or even one) wildly influential classics.

she sounds no different than purity ring, chvrches, passion pit or any of that other trite shit. just because she makes a few songs that are a bit more noisy and abrasive than normal synthpop doesn't make her some genre-defying genius

It's very difficult for Grimes haters to recognize her talent and influence. They're not honest with themselves.

she changed and influenced nothing, shes just an indie eye candy

>she sounds no different than purity ring, chvrches, passion pit or any of that other trite shit
Did you actually listen to her music?

How it's this song youtube.com/watch?v=_mTRvJ9fugM
identical to this song youtube.com/watch?v=iiUt6Ad3LHI
???

How?

The ultimate test against haters: similar songs and artists to Grimes. All of them failed miserably.

>identical
do you honestly think that the only reason why you could call two musicians similar is if they make the exact same song?

if you can't hear the stylistic similarities between those two songs (there are a shitload), then you're musically illiterate, and you have no right to be attempting to discuss it.

Taylor Swift, Carly Rae, any-shitty-indie-band-with-female-vocals, Poppy, Lorde

>All of them failed miserably.
yeah, because you faggots are the ones in the position to decide whether we succeed or fail. of course we're doomed to fail from the start

>do you honestly think that the only reason why you could call two musicians similar is if they make the exact same song?
You said "she sounds no different than ...", and that implies it's the same thing. No different = identical. And even assuming relative similarity, how are these artists even remotely similar? Maybe you're just a noob in synthpop if you say such crap...

>there are a shitload
Except the fact they're both synthpop songs with a female vocalist, what are these stylistic similarities? Name them point by point.

Good joke. What are their songs similar to Grimes? Post these songs and the exact similar Grimes songs. Side by side. Let's see if you're bullshitting or not.

Just a random example: name the Taylor Swift, Carly Rae, any-shitty-indie-band-with-female-vocals, Poppy, Lorde songs similar to Circumambient youtube.com/watch?v=5oqxz6hpGbs and Kill V. Maim youtube.com/watch?v=c2EJMd7ZN7w

Well?

>what are these stylistic similarities? Name them point by point.

>3-5 minute long songs
>4/4 kick-snare dance beat
>slathered in reverb
>poppy synth hooks
>ethereal female vocals
>melodically-driven

>you're just a noob in synthpop
modern synthpop is an extremely one-dimensional genre, and the fact that you're trying to assert that there's this huge amount of diversity in it proves that you don't know what you're talking about.

This. There's no point in arguing with these psychos. You're all just wasting your time.