/grimes general/

Discuss the tremendous Canuck electronic artist Claire Boucher (aka Grimes).

Some cool stuff:
Flowcharts: imgur.com/a/iQk79
Documentary: vimeo.com/164942263
Rarities: reddit.com/r/Grimes/comments/4g84rl/grimes_downloads_various_rare_collaborations
Read this: genius.com/Grimes-i-dont-want-to-have-to-compromise-my-morals-in-order-to-make-a-living-annotated

Rule #1: be nice to Grimes. Rule #2: don't be an asshole. If you have a problem with this thread, please filter it.

Other urls found in this thread:

thenational.ae/arts-life/music/album-review-britney-spears-reminds-us-of-former-glories-in-new-album
theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2016/08/glory-britney-spears-review-hookups-grace/497486/
youtube.com/watch?v=q2_hBNQqEus
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

JUST

JUST what?

Hello, newfriend.

Hello.

when do you think will the new videos drop?

After she will be healthy again. She's sick now.

She won't say anything.

She is my lovely girl, our overlord and saviour of music.

realiti album > realiti demo

How do you know

It's a lie.

They're both great on their own. The singing is better on the demo, but the album version has additional melodies and better ending.

You cant flim flam the grim gram

You know it's sad that you all like Grimes because she looks like a little boy right? Jerking off to her because of that kinda makes you a pedo anyway lol

Listen to real music like Eminem or Pink Floyd

Grims

grimes belong in

I like her because i can get away with it. You haters make me diamond.

i can agree with this statement

You know what would be even more sad? You actually thinking that.

music videos when

new ALBUM WHEN

>There’s a hint of Grimes’s grittier dance-pop about the captivating opener, Invitation, for example, but in a downtempo style that sets the overall mood.
thenational.ae/arts-life/music/album-review-britney-spears-reminds-us-of-former-glories-in-new-album

Hmm... interesting.

Also:
>most successful is “If I’m Dancing,” a gonzo, whirring pastiche of noises that recalls pop deconstructionists like M.I.A. and Grimes (as well as her own great and freaky 2011 tune “How I Roll”).
theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2016/08/glory-britney-spears-review-hookups-grace/497486/

It's sad that you're such a big pervert if you think that way. You're projecting too much.

guys what if you were grimes all along and you just forgot? have you thought about who you are lately to make sure?

I don't know who I am anymore. Every since I started listening to Grimes's music, I've felt like I'm becoming someone else.

she's ripping your soul into the aether where she will store it until she is ready to assimilate it into her being to satiate her lust for life force.

rejoice, you are one of the chosen ones.

wow, I feel like I should be scared but instead I feel very honored and excited.

>tremendous
I dunno user, she's pretty thin...

grimes has some twitter activity, I guess she's feeling better.

here's hoping for some trashique spam 2nite.

Is /Grimes/ dying? Are we the new StV threads?

it's just really slow going.

if they do die, it's probably for the best. we can always regroup when she releases a new single.

Went on a huge Grimes kick the last two months, it's died down now. Visions and Art Angels are my 20th and 25th favorite albums of the decade respectively.

What is your top 10?

i'm worried about my passion for grimes dying down, but at the same time I'm kind of relieved.

I'm on the path to getting to meet her and it's important that I don't just spill my spaghetti everywhere immediately.

don't thpill your thpaghetti, user

if you actually had spaghetti in you pockets and casually scattered it on the ground do you think she'd think it was autistic or funny

I think she's savvy to a lot of internet memes and jokes. She'd probably get the reference but it would still make for an awkward moment.

1. Bon Iver – Bon Iver, Bon Iver (don't hate, Eau Claire is my hometown)
2. Sufjan Stevens – The Age of Adz
3. Godspeed You! Black Emperor – 'Allelujah! Don't Bend! Ascend!
4. Deafheaven – Sunbather
5. Volcano Choir – Repave
6. Sun Kil Moon – Admiral Fell Promises
7. Julian Casablancas + the Voidz – Tyranny
8. Tame Impala – Lonerism
9. Sun Kil Moon – Benji
10. Frank Ocean – channel ORANGE

Side note, I only update this list at the end of each year, so there'll probably be an album or two from this year on the list

Honestly I only like Lonerism from that list. Grimes seems like an anomaly in your library compared to that list.

i like grimes

Godspeed You! constantly kept showing up in the 2011 tour vlog and even showed up in the 2013 video James and Claire made.

Do you think they are friends?

youtube.com/watch?v=q2_hBNQqEus

makes me feel so happy

Lana Del Rey is better

Isn't there a rumor saying she's a 50 or 60 yr old woman and has an adult daughter ?

why does she drink so much pop

I just listened to Lethe 5 minutes ago...

Because she's a diabetic boomer.

Better at what? At music Lana definitely isn't.

Daily Reminder, LANA IS BETTER

does Grimes live in California now? why did she abandon her Canadian roots? doesn't she know the sun will age her

She is just three years older than Grimes.

i cant get over how perfect her nose is

It's what she wants you to think.

Grimes is a thousand year old sorceress.

its my favorite of her facial features!

And yet, there are people saying it's too big. It's not big, it's perfect for her face.

she wanted to stay in canada but her own music scene in montreal, the only place in canada where musicians can live affordably surrounded by the community they need to make music, was jealous of her success and basically ostracized her as a sellout.

she moved west with her bf, and tried to make an album in rural BC, near her hometown of vancouver, but the isolation wasn't really working to bring out what she wanted, she was getting depressed and writing lonely sad songs about the friends she lost or people who died, songs which she realized she would not want to perform publicly. and vancouver, where her family is from, is too expensive now for most musicians so she would've been very isolated as a creative person if she went to the city.

on the other hand, she had many friends in LA, which has become much cheaper than NYC and draws a lot of former NYC based artists, as well as other creative people from around the world. her bf also grew up in LA i think- he's originally american (in fact he never lived in canada until 2012-13 when they got together). she had very mixed feelings on the industry (as you hear in the song California) but really no other choice made sense. she was able to find the necessary mix of an inspiring community and privacy and the necessary technology to create music in LA. she could experiment with writing for pop stars, and just do her own thing when that didn't work out. it was easy to make videos in the area too, and she wanted to explore filmmaking.

whether she plans to become a US permanent resident or citizen is unknown, and may have a lot to do with who wins the election. i really can't see her wanting to stay very long if trump is president, and that couldn't be called cowardice in abandoning her country, since she's canadian anyway, and is a fan of trudeau, the canadian pm at the moment. but maybe she is such a ballsy artist she might find it even more necessary to stay with an oppressive president- to offer resistance.

people who say she's not beautiful just have no taste.

she has a great face. one that matches her great talent and production skill, as well as her good heart.

her only "flaw" is that she is socially a mess, but that's hardly a flaw when you have everything that actually counts.

she's much less "socially a mess" than 99.9% of Sup Forums desu.

>oppressive president
>muh literally hitler

she's adapted.

pre-visions she was probably just as bad, if not worse than the neck squeezer. just in a different way.

never forget how she described herself as "sexist" before, and she REALLY doesn't strike me as the person to have been sexist towards women...

also considering the way she said she had trouble having relationships with men after she was assaulted...

I mean it's just speculation, but grimes was probably a full blown man-hater at one point in her life.

not that she is now or anything. It just seems very likely based on what she's said about herself.

Well they're both Canadien so there's that, but Godspeed is notorious for being dicks to everyone
Eh, I have a pretty diverse library. As far as what I tend to like she's probably a bit of an anomaly, but I think she's closest to Frank sonically out of the people on my list.

I'm just curious about how much synthpop/dreampop do you listen to.

yeah i have a problem with this thread. i also have a problem with filtering threads.

>she REALLY doesn't strike me as the person to have been sexist towards women...
well, she actually does strike me that way. i've never seen a trace of any misandry from her. whereas the hardcore feminists had, and quietly still have (she is critic proof atm, but just wait for the cyclical backlash) a fuck of a lot of anger at her, some perhaps well justified (in the sense she wasn't entirely down with their program).

she was a tomboy growing up, she was into "male" pursuits, and most of her best friends were guys. she resembles in that way, joni mitchell (who said she didn't like or identify with feminists at all- albeit '70s feminism, which was a bit different). grimes and joni seek to compete with men at their own game.

grimes openly said she didn't have any affection for feminism until after darkbloom came out (not that she made a point of *opposing* it, but she didn't concern herself with these issues at all), then she went into music full time and she started getting treated like a baby, threatened physically, harassed and constantly talked about, well umm, the way anons write about her.

at that point she was right to say fuck off, and throw some feminist shade. but even *then*, she continually resisted against attempts to politicize her or fit her into a feminist narrative.

she shows limited abilities to maintain long term friendships with other women, whereas her friendships with men were more enduring, even when trauma is involved or that person is friends with others she is not friends with anymore.

she doesn't even describe hana as her best friend- instead, she says her best friend is hana's bf bloodpop, through whom she met hana.

end of story- she may feel internally conflicted about it, if she feels she's betraying women's issues, but her natural inclination has always been to spend time with men more than women.

>yes, everyone knows grimes wants a top 1% racist fascist misogynist running the country and the world

I listen to quite a bit of dream pop actually. Synthpop not so much, but I'd say ~10% of what I listen to is dream pop

woah..that's a lot of words in one sentence! slow down there you might choke on all that ideology.

>i've never seen a trace of any misandry from her
because she's smarter than that. remember this is a girl who beat her brother's teeth out with a hockey stick over some stupid shit. she got arrested for beating the shit out of a classmate who grabbed her ass in highschool. this isn't "man-hating behavior" but let it just set the tone for just exactly who young Claire was.

>grimes openly said she didn't have any affection for feminism until after darkbloom came out
She said she didn't think of herself as a feminist because she never really experienced sexism until she started getting involved in the industry. She grew up with no sisters and spent time in a super liberal art scene, it never occured to her that there are people out there who unironically believe women are inferior.

>but even *then*, she continually resisted against attempts to politicize her or fit her into a feminist narrative.
Because Grimes isn't a political project. She's said she's a political person, but Grimes is beyond that tiny aspect of her. It would cheapen the whole thing if it was just her pushing an agenda.

>she shows limited abilities to maintain long term friendships with other women
She shows limited abilities to maintain long term friendships with anybody, except for Duffy. Did you read her and D'eon's interaction on Twitter? It reads like she completely shut him out when she left Montreal. Seems to me she has equal amounts of boy and girl best friends these days in LA. She looooves Mira.

>she doesn't even describe hana as her best friend- instead, she says her best friend is hana's bf bloodpop, through whom she met hana.
exactly. She's known Bloodpop for a long-ass time. Mike gave her James. Mike's been with her since she was wearing those ugly-ass all white skecher sneakers. She moved to LA to live with Mike. They are both super ambitious people.

That's a bit surprising. In order to like her music you must like synthpop first. That's why I said her music is a bit of an anomaly in your library.

any of you still remember the early grimes meme about "if I wanted to hear about a monkey going down the mississipi id read Tom Sawyer"

can't say I have, fellow trashie

source on that first point?

Do you guys ever get worried thinking about how obsessed you are with Grimes

they are buried somewhere in the massive libraries of interviews. I've only seen the beating her brother with a hockey stick once, though I think I've seen the kicking the beans out of her classmate more than once.

At any rate, I'm not in the mood to go sifting through the hundreds of interviews she's done to find my quotes. It's a part of every voignamirian's duty to read all the interviews they can to have the best possible grasp on claire lore. Make a note of it and save the interview binge for a rainy day or somethin.

yes

but then I remember as long as it doesn't affect my life it's probably ok

grimes is fucking terrible and you faggots need to be gassed

Leave pleb faggot

I hope grimes is doing alright.

die thread die

ur right, Lana is queen

Better than grimes at the very least

But obviously that isnt exactly a high bar

Just leave it, you envious pleb. And take your shitty Viper memes with you.

Better than Grimes? Are you that pleb?

Thanks for bumping the thread. You shitposters serve a purpose after all.

She's shit

I will not. Please leave this board and take your shitty music with you
>Better than Grimes? Are you that pleb?
are you so pleb that you think grimes isnt shit

haha sick comebacks

stupid numale hipster.

Lana Del Rey is better than Grimes

That's weak bro. I'm not even mad. Please leave.

What

Grimes is literally numalecore, they were talking earlier about how she was a radical feminist for beating her brothers teeth out with a hockey stick, implying that proves anything other than her brother is a colossal pussy

>Please leave.
Nah I'm good

Please leave my board thanks

Lana Del Ray is not Grimes, therefore your statement is subjective. It's okay though, we all have opinions. But arguing over subjective things is pointless. It's like people arguing over the power of superheroes from entirely different universes, it all means nothing.

No. Lana (aka Lizzy Grant) is ordinary. She's replaceable. She's an industry plant.