What does Sup Forums think of Sonic Youth?

What does Sup Forums think of Sonic Youth?

Goo is my favourite next to Daydream Nation and Sister.

evol>all

Dirty was always my fave

Jet set

Pretty good for getting drunk when somebodies been deeply fucking with you.

WHAT DID YOU MEAN BY THIS

Uncomfortably specific tbqhwy lad.

I'm in heaven now. I can see you Richard.

the pinnacle of what can be achieved with electric guitar, bass, drums and vocals. my favorites are probably Bad Moon Rising, EVOL, Daydream Nation and A Thousand Leaves but they have at least 12 great albums. i can't think of another rock band with so many

Sonic Youth are Overrated as fuck, but they still might be the greatest rock band of all time.

Sister > Bad Moon Rising > Daydream Nation > EVOL > Goo > Self Titled EP
at least imo.

pic related is an overlooked masterpiece. Karen Revisited might be their best song

Sister or go gome

I didn't like Goo as much as Sister or Daydream Nation. The album was overproduced and too poppy compared to their old stuff. Sonic Youth betrayed the indie scene with Goo.

I like Washing Machine and A Thousand Leaves. Still need to listen to EVOL and Bad Moon Rising but every time I'm in the mood for Sonic Youth they have enough I'm alreayd familiar with to satisfy me.

1. Evol
2. Murray Street
3. Sister
4. Confusion is Sex
5. Daydream Nation

Objective ranking btw, if you disagree you're a fucking troglodyte. Also, Goo and Dirty are absolute fucking gash.

Evol suck dude, just because it's noisier dosnt make it better.

Just sounds like a slower less focused version of DNA

I've never seen anyone even mention it, but Rather Ripped is my favourite of theirs. It's later in their career, but there's not a song on it I don't like and Pink Steam might be my favourite song they did.

Rain on Tin is my quintessential autumn song

same here senpai

That's their early albums

Starting with EVOL they added pop elements to their sound and became the GOAT indie rock band of the 80s/90s

but marquee moon is the pinnacle of what can be achieved with electric guitar, bass, drums and vocals

>there are people alive and breathing on this earth that unironically believe this

What is that?

It's a jpg.

Their 80's production hasn't aged particularly well (once they his DN it shot up a fuck ton in term of sounding excellent), but their musicality and creativity has. One of the most solid discographies in rock history (and continuing into the 00's I might add.) Favorites include Daydream Nation, Goo, Murray Street, and Sister. Probably some of the best guitar rock music out there.

My favorite band. They have a great discography, their worst album is at least a 7/10 for me.

1. Daydream Nation
2. Sister
3. Evol
4. Bad Moon Rising
5. Confusion is Sex

They are kinda overrated on Sup Forums and underrated irl. One of the most original bands of all time and defined the rock music in late 80s til today.

Daydream Nation is fuckin timeless. I can't remember any other album that remained "new" after almost 30 or more years after its release.

Only heard Sister and Daydream Nation so far and I definitely liked Sister better but still not super into it

Which one do I go to if I just want their explosive energetic noisy side all the time? Do I go back to Sister or Goo or what?

Washing Machine a way underrated album. Solid production, sprawling noise. The Diamond Sea is an amazing closer.

Dubs confirms. They also evolved a shit ton in terms of creativity and production styles. They were also integral with getting certain sounds and artists from the underground heard by a ton of people. It also helps the general rise of alt rock in the 80's-90's concurred with their success. Without them I doubt the general population would have heard Boredoms (even tho eye was already working with John Zorn but even then Zorn and Youth were in the same circle...then again Zorn was somewhat reveared in a slightly smaller mainstream music circle idk). Point is Sonic Youth is more important than people take credit for.
They are overrated here (but only for DN, most people here haven't explored their whole discography). IRL i think critics love them but general fans have their child favorite albums but don't see the whole discography (like cure fans I assume.) Also DN just kind of sits in its own corner, it's a weird beast that still sound fresh (not 80's sounding at all barring some reverb.)
Check out EVOL, Bad Moon Rising, or their live sets from any point in time. Post '98 they become more mellow studio wise.

listen to their SYR series

It definitely is underrated (so is the album that followed it.) It's their last of their 90's output that was really popular with the general public (following how popular experimental jet set was.) Once a thousand leaves came out, they were relegated to their own fan base at that point as oppose to having one single per album be popular (and the general downfall of MTV and alt radio in general by the late 90's.)

Even Pavement wouldnt have existed without Sonic Youth. And grunge scene would be very different.

Shit completely forgot that, and I even watched the pavement documentary last night. Malky and Berman even would call Kim and Thurstons voicemail and hope they wouldn't answer so they could record silver jews songs to their tape machine. Essentially within the late 80's new york scene that's how pavement got found (aside from the wedding present, mark ibold, critics, and a fuck ton of luck)

To continue, can you imagine how lucky they must have felt to get not only discovered from a shitily recorded 7 inch, but also continue critical acclaim and hype until their debut? Imagine that happening now, the only artist I can compare it to is Car Seat Headrest, and that wasn't even critics and musicians, it was more internet fans. Pavement was a weird anomaly

What documentary is it?

Slow Century on youtube. One of the better rock documentaries. Excellent back material, footage, and interviews. Further studies, hit the pavement reissues and their cd inserts.

Dirty is hands-down the best album.

bumping for sonic sounds

Seems nice, do you have any other recs on music documentaries? I've barely seen any (can only recall the one about The Libertines ' reunion which was somewhat good)

Ciccione Youth > Sonic Youth

I don't know, they've just never appealed to me. Their early work has aged badly (e.g. the first EP) and the rest of it is just meandering. They also always seemed super self-serious about it all, which is of course an ad hominem criticism but whatever.

Yeah, it really sucks when a band writes songs that are not hidden behind ten thousand layers of post-irony.

one of my favorite bands.

>Ciccione Youth
can't say sister isn't comfy as fuck without it trying too hard to be anything bigger than it really is

Many great bands have done a lot with that amount (Minutemen, The Pop Group, Polvo, Television, etc). I wouldn't consider Sonic Youth the pinnacle of anything by a longshot, but they did make some great music

Its like you haven't even heard Bad Moon Rising. Saying the word "objective" also automatically makes you a pleb, so your opinion has been discarded anyways