How long does it take to learn a language if you have all the freetime in the world...

How long does it take to learn a language if you have all the freetime in the world? And what's the best way to learn a language?

Specifically Russian.

Russian is the easiest language you can possibly learn.

kek

the cyrillic letters are easy, i learned it in a week, but the language itself is hard bro

How did you learn them? Pls tell me.

I guess downgrading to 6 cases from 17 should be pretty easy

>And what's the best way to learn a language?
Russian nobility used this method:
one sheet with foreing text, next to it one sheet with translation in your language

This method allowed them to learn different languages very fast (6-12 months)

Finnish seems difficult as fuck btw. There are many verb forms, as I conceive, and many word forms (not only verbs). Probably you can start with stuff like Duolingo and YT courses or something.

>learning THE most barbaric language in the world
>"you driver? I have car, I not driver, you drive"

Unironically this, i learnt cyrylic in one hour, while Hiragana needed about 10 hours.

Also after learning cyrilic i was able to understnd 80% of the text when i had learnt basic words suffixes.

Don't know about Russian or learning a language by yourself, but my friends went to a good academy and they are pretty much trilingual now (learned English and French at the same time, it only took them like six months).

Holy shit you're daft.

I dunno, find someone to talk with, learn the language a bit with programs, and when you get confident/comfortable enough, immerse yourself (do everything in the language you want to learn.)

not all cases are equally difficult desu

I heard learning understandible russian is not too hard.But speaking like a native is the hardest.Alphabet is also easy like any other alphabet.

They haven't got genders so:
>Russian: 6 cases x 3 genders x sin-plu = 36 possible endings without counting exceptions
>finnish:16 cases x sin-plu = 32 possible endings
And the winner
>Polish: 7 cases x 3 genders x sin-plu + masculine animate/inanimate (7x sin-plu) + difference in fem+mas plural and fem+fem plural (7) = 42 + 14 + 7 = 63 (but they are only teoretical, because there is not enough letter combinations) sometimes different words i different cases can have same endings so you have to know the gender of the word to know in which case it was used.

a year unless you're a dumb fuck

80% sounds like a lot, I only understand about 50% of written Polish.

t. Slavs

Spanish should be the easiest language then, don't even need to learn it to understand a good deal of it

If you keep up with listening practice, speaking, reading, and grammar study, you can get to near fluent levels in one year with 50 new words a day.

While I know Portuguese and Spanish aren't one and the same, can you understand it (Spanish) somewhat without any previous experience?

That would be Bulgarian desu

It helps that you're a Slav

Not really that accurate as finnish and slav languages work very differently.

f.ex.
koira - dog
koirani - my dog
koiranani - as my dog
koirananiko - as my dog?

>50% of written Polish
I think it is easier for us because Russian from my perspective is just polish with nasals replaced by ju or u and random vowels added to words. I think that it is easier to recognize words with additional letters than when they are reduced.

How long would it take for a fluent English speaker to learn Dutch if they have all the time in the world? I want to go live in the Netherlands.

Yes. i would say you can understand about 70~80%, maybe more depending on the words used. Lot of cognate words. that is if you are reading a text, understanding someone speaking is much harder.

Ok, i will try something. Lets pretend that "loga" means cat in finnish. Would it be correct then:
loga - cat
logani - my cat
loganani - as my cat
logananiko - as my cat?

Come here and study it
Otherwise you will inevitably end up like one of those "yeah i, 'studied' russian 2 years but only know how to say пpивeт and кaк дeлa"

But if you really can't then get a russian textbook and a native russian teacher that speaks your language.
Be aware that the beginning can be quite hopeless, it can take 3-4 months just to learn the pure basics to have a conversation

>russian genitive singular
ez pz
>russian genitive plural
just fuck my shit up senpai

Pretty much yeah. As long as you know the suffixes you're good. For a non-native it can be hard to tell in which order they go though.

Some words work differently though like
syöpä - cancer
syövättä - without cancer

Neat.

пpивeт мeня зoвyт Пэккa cтoлик нa двoих пoжaлyйcтa

>cтoлик нa двoих
Fuck you, i still haven't learned dative case

нo ты pyccкий дa или нeт

Ecли я paccкaзывaю чтo я нe знaю pyccкий язык, кoнeчнo этo знaчит я нe pyccкий
>tfw никoгдa нe бyдy cлaвянcкий

Дpaмa.

пpoшy пpoщeния нo paccкaжи мнe чyткa зaчeм тeбe тoт pyccкий oткyдa ты пpиeхaл кoгдa нy кaк жe тaк peшил в Paшe жить

>That would be Bulgarian desu
I dare you to explain why you called my language barbaric, you piece of Melania shit.

Ochen trudno, ne nado probovats.

Looks like a japanese mimic.

>Pretty much yeah.
It doesn't seem hard to learn. I am pretty impressed by this kind of construction (adding at the end). If you are really intrested in learning russian, then you need to prepare for sufixes and prefixes. Most words are formed from basic one syllabe core taken from the very basic verbs with added 1 or 2 prefixes and always only 1 suffix. I will explain it on polish, because it is more archaic and it is easier for me. All slavic languages works the same way.
>Prefixes
Are words which "alone" are describing positions[P] and directions[D], but added to a verb change its meaning into "action" made/ being made in that direction, something like "throw in" and "throw out".
>wziąć - to take
w (in, inside, into [something])[P+D] + z (from)[D] + jąć (j --> i). Jąć hasn't got meaning by itself (anymore tbc), but it is "to take into your hand [your position]". So wziąć means "to take(jąć) something from(z) somewhere into(w) your absolute position(jąć) [this thing is there, where you are]
>Sufixes
They inform you about case, term and who. Or you create adjectives or persons nouns by adding another suffixes.
In polish future = przyszłość and past = przeszłość
przy - near/around[P]
prze- comes from "przez" which means though[D]
szło - is past form of 3rd singular for iść [to go]
ść- is ending for femine nouns, but only abstract (love- miłość, anger- złość)
So Przeszłość means - something that went(szło) through(przez) something and is behind that thing .
Przyszłość- something that will have came(szło) near(przy).

Russian may sound like caveman speak with it's "I Oleg. I Russian" style, but at least it uses cases

>пoчeмy
Much better quality of education than my home country and not expensive at all, the opportunity to learn a language that is a good compromise of usefulness and uniqueness, but i guess most of all because i really felt i was not doing anything with my life back home, so when i got the opportunity i just had to take it
>oткyдa
spicland
>кoгдa
Close to 2 months now

>3 genders
Male and neuter inanimate nouns are declined in almost the same way. It would make much more sense to count the basic declensions (there are 3 of them though).

>x sin-plu
But there's no straight gender distinction in plural. Why do you multiply?

>without counting exceptions
But that's what actually makes the Indo-European declension difficult. It's not a big deal to learn a couple of dozens of suffixes, it's much harder to remember which one you have to use with a certain noun.

So, to declare a Russian noun, you need to know:
1. Which declension it belongs to. Sometimes it may be determined from how it's spelled, but not always + some nouns are just indeclinable
2. If it's animate or inanimate (in Russian this category matters for all nouns, not just masculine ones)
3. "-a" vs "-i/-y" vs "-ja" in the Plural Nominative form (only for second declension words)
4. "-ov/-ev/-ej" vs the zero ending in the Plural Genitive form
5. Which stress pattern it belongs to.
6. Should the preposition before the noun be stressed or not ("stol - na stól", but "pol - ná pol")
7. Should the final root vowel be dropped or not (sosunók - sosunká, but hodók - hodoká)
8. If it has an additional Locative form or not (only for second and third declension words)

>It doesn't seem hard to learn

The basics aren't that hard and finnish is in a way pretty logical language. The rabbit hole just goes pretty deep.

>5. Which stress pattern it belongs to

This is what makes russian strange to an average Pole. We use stress (East Poland, i doubt if in Greater Poland we use stress on basic, rather it is used to show importance of words) on second to last syllabe, because 90% of words have got their core verb in that position.

>7.Should the preposition before the noun be stressed or not ("stol - na stól", but "pol - ná pol")

Identical in polish.

>Identical in polish.
Elaborate pls. I thought stress is automatic in Polish

I live in Greater Poland and from my perspective people in Lesser Poland or Masovia make some syllabes "longer". I've meant once a girl who moved from east-central Poland and she was complaining about people (us = wester poles) speaking so fast.
We use stress when we want to accent something or cores of verbs, but in general our speak is closer to japanese than russian. But from nips perspective we use accent, but russian would say that we don't.

>I've meant
i meant "met"

Learnt the alphabet passively by playing with it.
Take a look of the practice picture of this post and try to figure out how your name is written in cyrillic, and so on.
Transcripting stuff is a good practice to make yourself used to it.