Are there any girls on this board that listen to Dean Blunt? What do you enjoy about his music?

Are there any girls on this board that listen to Dean Blunt? What do you enjoy about his music?

My reasons for asking are entirely academic.

Other urls found in this thread:

theguardian.com/music/2012/apr/05/hype-williams-speak-the-truth
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Bump. Please respond.

I'm interested in what you've to say.

lmfao

>women on Sup Forums
>women on Sup Forums
if they were here they'd have attention whored themselves out already. there's a bunch of them on r9k though.

I don't understand why you're laughing. I said that my purpose was entirely academic.

There are girls on this board. You've fallen for a meme.

my sister goes on Sup Forums and Sup Forums but shes an autist
my sister says he;s okay prefers black is beautiful over any of his other projects but she says sufjan and ariel pink do his schtick much better

Any girls who appreciate James Ferraro?

I've never listened to Sufjan. I didn't know the two were comparable. My little time listening to Ariel Pink limits the extent I can comment on him, too.

Can you give me your sister's email, or perhaps just get her to respond to this thread?

Why are you asking this?

I like him alright - haven't listened to his stuff extensively but I played Black Metal quite a bit over the summer and intend to explore his discography further. Honestly for me he just makes really great vibe music, as lame as that sounds. Very atmospheric. There's also always this pervading and mysterious sense of unease to his tracks.

In addition I'd say he has a keen ear for melody and sampling. X is my favorite track off Black Metal.

Wasn't a huge fan of HS3. The only other thing I've heard by him is Live at Primavera Sound 2012 and I enjoyed that quite a bit.

Check out Skid Row, Far Side Virtual, Night Dolls with Hairspray, and NYC Hell 3 AM for Ferraro

black metal is his best . check out stone island rest is pretty skippable

I do. I prefer Hype Williams circa 2009-2012 though.

Black Metal is his most atmospheric release. Listen to Black is Beautiful and his other collaborations with Inga if you're intent on finding others like it, though I still suggest exploring the rest of his discography. Almost all of his releases deliver a dense sense of mystery and unspoken tension, though.

I agree about X.

I asked if there were any girls that enjoy his music because thematically I don't think he endears himself very well to a female audience, at least with everything from Narcissist II to Black Metal.

>Are there any girls on this board
no

Thanks, I will.

Untitled (by Hype Williams) was ace too, imo.

Hmm, I'd say his voice is probably the biggest turn-off for loads of people. Obviously it's not appealing for many guys as well, but women are conditioned to seek out more "pleasant" and "melodic" voices I guess.

From what I've heard from Blunt, a major theme of his seems to be a sort of displacement and confusion of one's identity - constantly questioning what his role is, whether it be in a relationship or his country or society at large. I'm a very introverted, solitary, and anxious person myself and lately have been dealing with some existential questions, so in many ways I can relate to that sometimes all-consuming dread. How much one enjoys DB probably comes down to temperament more than anything else.

No doubt about the voice.

Do you have a link to whatever interview(s) made you think that? I'm always dubious reading too much into anything he says.

>all consuming dread
sold bro

That's a girl.

insults are part of the courtship process

>Sufjan
>Dean Blunt
>Schtick

why do you talk like that?

If anyone is getting courted with a girl in this thread, it's going to be me.

It's my thread, my creation. I deserve it more than anyone else. I've been waiting for almost 22 years, during which I can only recall being hugged by a non-related female a single fucking time.

Not you, or anyone else for that matter is going to usurp me. You can get behind me and wait your goddamn turn.

Don't have a link to a specific interview, but iirc he said something about how when black artists try to empower themselves they often end up appropriating and claiming white imagery and iconography, and Black Metal was him simultaneously exploring and railing against that idea.

But like you, I try not to read too much into the artist's intentions, so most of it comes from my own interpretations. The thing that struck me the most on my first listen to Black Metal was how schizophrenic it was stylistically. The first half considerably poppier and made up of jangle pop, "indie", alt-country, with this warm and slightly saccharine instrumentation. Conversely, the second half is more stark, grimier, and grittier while being more indebted to traditionally "black genres" (dancehall, grime, hip-hop, dub). Some of Blunt's statements only highlight this more: what does a black artist need to make to be considered progressive?

There's also the constant questioning of himself within the confines of his relationship/breakup. Most of the lyrics illustrate this uncertainty of who he is or who he should be:

>You never saw me

>This is how it's gonna be
>I'm not who I'm meant to be

>And Beyonce meant guys like me when she said 'soldier'
>A gangster type, when your husband leaves you

>Cause you'll never be
>The one I want you to be
>Cause I know that person is me

>Look at me, look at me
>Bad man wanna be me

unty i can never tell if you're being serious or not. either way, you're pretty pathetic

i'll yield man

I understand it appears contrived but all manners of expression and interaction feel contrived to me so I've stopped caring.

I hope that answer will suffice. I may suffer undiagnosed autism.

That conception of Black Metal makes a lot of sense in hindsight, especially considering its latter half. The first half, as you mention, felt more traditional and akin to his prior releases, musically and thematically.

I find it quite telling that you'd rather share weightless insults than contribute to this thread.

You're dismissed.

Thank you.

>you'd rather share weightless insults than contribute to this thread.
i'd contribute to the thread but i'm not a gril

My reason for creating this thread was to get girls' opinion on Dean, but you don't have to be a girl.

i love his work. everything he does has this charming mystique to it that keeps me coming back. i feel like it's a commentary on the current state of pop music, while simultaneously reaching towards something completely new and unique.

pic related is one of my aoty. it's so dark and emotionless, which stands in stark contrast to the hype and excitement that trap was founded on. plus it's just great music to chill to

fyi, dean apparently wasn't involved in that hype williams release

i heard that too, but i have a hard time believing it. have you listened to it? it sounds undeniably like dean's handiwork. everything from the production, to the composition, to the stylistic qualities just scream classic dean.

apparently the peeps in hype williams are notorious liars, so it would make sense
theguardian.com/music/2012/apr/05/hype-williams-speak-the-truth

True shit