What is the Sup Forums consensus about Grimes? Love her or hate her? Vote!

What is the Sup Forums consensus about Grimes? Love her or hate her? Vote!

strawpoll.me/11168490

>if i do im a creep
>if i dont im a nazi

Her appearance and aesthetic? Fucking HATE for how she acts like a stupid hipster baby, all while committing fashion crime after fashion crime.

Her music is okay. Not great, not bad. If you like it, I wouldn't judge you.

>if i do im a creep
You're not. Loving someone's music is perfectly fine.

I think her music is neat, but her fanbase on Sup Forums is extremely cringey

>fashion crime after fashion crime.

Lol

Why is there no "I dont care about her" option?

me too

This is only about her. Imagine her fanbase didn't exist.

If you don't care about her, why you're even on this thread? Mind your business then.

Because this is THE question. If you don't have an opinion on Grimes you are literally human scum and should kys.

Wouldn't be fair.

Because i browse Sup Forums and i found a thread with a strawpoll that caught my attention

Can't, her image is inexorably tied to her fanbase here. It's like talking about Tool without their intolerable fanbase, or ICP without Juggalos.

No. If you don't have an opinion on Grimes this thread is not for you. Because if you don't care why would you be involved? Not caring = not action.

i literally do not care about her and i would still not care about her if her fanbase weren't a bunch of nasty fucks who jerk off to pictures of her

OK. Then go back to the catalog. Nothing interesting for you here if you don't care about her.

That is false, but let's assume it's true: in what way it affects you that? What's your problem?

What's the deal with her fanbase? What they did to you?

Maybe haters feel pressured into liking her. Always being told to be nice to her but fee judged when they do.

They could ignore her easily. I personally ignore all artists that I don't like.

They keep making shitty general threads

And you can't filter them? Why these generals bother you? Serious question.

For me it sounds like "stop liking what I hate".

I just don't bother when there's a more aesthetic, generally appealing version of them.

Partially it's the waifu mentality of the fanbase here which is obsessive and just plain creepy. At any point of the day there are 3-4 threads about her, that frequently reach image cap, usually filled with the same pictures. It's overkill

Partially it's the effusive praise that she receives. She's treated like the 2nd coming of christ or some shit, when she's just an indie musician whose catalog has been well received over the past few years. There are threads about her legacy, when she's still actively creating content and only recently begun receiving attention. It makes any praise that she receives, genuine or not, seem undue because of the constant exaggerations.

Partially because her fanbase refuses to allow people to be neutral about her. Like you in this thread. People are only allowed to love her or hate her, nothing inbetween, no complex feelings, no critiques. Just black and white, love or hate. It's very similar to hearing a tween girl talk about one direction or whatever pop icon they adore. It's not going to be deep and if you disagree you either "just don't get her genius" or literally satan.

All that and probably more sours my opinion on her and makes me want to distance myself from her fans. Despite actually enjoying her music.

You probably like st vincent unironically

Unfortunately I could never get into her music. But what that has to do with Grimes?

>At any point of the day there are 3-4 threads about her, that frequently reach image cap
I'm afraid you're wrong. There are rarely over 100 images on a 320+ thread.

Grimes is the hottest topic on Sup Forums. Everyone should have an opinion on her.

How is that unfortunate you couldn't get into that hacks music? Jesus, you probably like 21 pilots unironically

Daily reminder

Statistics student here
>36 votes
>26 favorable

Sample size = 36
Sample proportion = .7222222 favorable
95% CI constant = 1.96

95% CI = (.575907 , .868537)

With the assumptions that everyone has either a favorable or unfavorable opinion towards grimes, and that the survey contains no significant bias (such as Sup Forums users who have filtered Grimes threads), we are 95% confident with the sample data that between 57.59% and 86.85% of people on Sup Forums have a favorable opinion of Grimes.

She only exists as a fanbase on here.

>muh secret club

Unfortunate, because she seems beloved by critics. I just don't see the appeal.

KEK

jesus fuck
oh wow

More votes!

bump

what

This is why I don't care about grimes.

i liked her before you started forcing daily threads about ur girl crush. she´s not that interesteing and neither is kanye.

>love
>hate
neither.
don't like her music, but i'd never attack someone for being a fan.
don't like her style, but would never tell anyone outlandishly that i think she is ugly.
don't like the people who waifu over her, but they are mostly contained in one thread on this board, and in real life they aren't an issue.

this board manages to create quite a divide though. it is interesting.

I didn't force any daily threads. Even even assuming I did that, are you that stupid to stop liking her because of some threads that could be filtered anyway? I bet you never liked her.

Wow. So you base your opinion on musicians on whether you like their fans or not?

its the children

I love Grimes.

>she´s not that interesteing
Explain the furious debates every time she's mentioned. Explain the daily threads, if she's not that interesting.

She alright

No you don't.
You enjoy posting borderline stalker-like creepy photographs of the poor woman on an anonymous message board, and barely discussing anything grimes related.

I sure love you though.

10 outlandish posters spamming one thread,
a debate does not make.

I love you too.

>10
I can assure you there are way more than 10.

yeah you´re all cunts so she´s obviously shit musician

> huh-huh, think again faggot!

bump

Bump

Everyone says she's ugly. She looks fine to me. I'm apathetic to her music. I don't know anything about how she acts.

The grimes fags praise her beauty

#
Imo it's EXTREMELY interesting.

Full disclaimer - I only originally wandered into /mu land approximately 4-5 months ago because I was curious to see what the rest of the Internet thought of Grimes (whose music I had only recently discovered.) What I've concluded since then is the following:

Her music seems to be very difficult for most people to really "get" at first, but once/if that happens (there are people to whom her music honestly doesn't appeal - if for no other reason than how purposefully abrasive it often sounds) it tends to suck them in utterly to an extent that you don't often see happen in music fandom. Someone mentioned Tool fandom above, and imo there's an apt comparison to be made between where they/their rabid career-supporting fanbase exist and where Grimes is heading with her own fanbase - assuming she continues on anything like her current musical trajectory.

Her music is just so immersive. Pick a random song, say Symphonia IX: that stuff is truly transcendental.

continuing from Fwiw - the reason why I bring up Tool here is because I was recently talking music shop with a veteran rabid tool fan who it turns out is now also a serious Grimes fan - all because of how similarly rewarding in psychological effect he finds her music to be compared to theirs.

Except that the Grimes fanbase isn't even remotely close to the level of autism of the Tool fanbase. Maybe there are some extreme cases, but if you count her fans irl, on reddit, on twitter, on instagram, etc they're all pretty chill.

On Sup Forums it's a special case: the Grimes fans are really hated because they react strongly if they're insulted. And that's a right thing to do. Kill or you're killed.

>Her music is just so immersive.
Yeah - that's the thing. The secret to creating immersive music lies in the intensity of focus of the performer (this is an actual neurological fact - go read about "mirror neurons" in the context of music if you're curious.) And in the case of musicians like Tool (who create and perform their music in an incredibly integrated and focused group fashion) or Grimes (who does the same, but with the added benefit of actually being the sole creative force behind her sound) the results can indeed be transcendental.

Transcendentally good OR bad. Being 'transported' into the mind of another person through music can be an awesome experience, but it can also be a truly hellish one if your thoughts and those of the one(s) with whom you are musically communing don't happen to - for lack of a better word - vibe properly.

How embarrassing.

Her music is also very, very catchy. It's really addictive.

>you count her fans irl, on reddit, on twitter, on instagram, etc they're all pretty chill.
Remember - Tool's rabid cult following gets its pedigree from the progressive metal art rock world. Imo that's a pretty hard combo of genre... obstinacy for another artist's fanbase to top - no matter the level of fanaticism involved.