Studying in the UK

I've been entertaining the idea of moving to the UK for uni, but I'm wondering if it's a worthwhile investment, since it means I'd have to chip in £9,000 a year on tuition alone.

Have any of you done it before? I might do it if I land in a top 150 uni.

How's student life in the UK? Is there any better alternative in Europe? I just spend some years abroad 2bh.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rizla
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bogus_colleges_in_the_United_Kingdom
russellgroup.ac.uk/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Bring rizzla?

Not getting the lingo. What's a rizzla?

student life is very dependent on which uni you chose to go to, lad. do you have any ideas of what sort of student life you're after?

I've got a few unis lined up at the moment. University of Liverpool and University of Birmingham.

I'm after a student life that could afford me a good deal of partying, essentially. Don't know how else to put it. I'd rather avoid London though.

Birmingham is alright for that and a pretty good uni too

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rizla

i'd suggest checking out newcastle then lad

It's 100% worth it if:

A) You go to one of the top prestigous for the job prospects (Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Edinburgh etc)

B) You go to a party university for the lifestyle

Otherwise it's probably not worth the 9k imo. The worst thing we did was raise tuition fees, when it was 3k and below per year, it was a no-brainer to study in the UK.

Worth it for anything Russell Group. I studied in Sheffield and it's a fantastic city to be a student, albeit fucking freezing. Bristol is also a great student city. I also think as an EU student you can study free in Scotland.

Just checked it out. Seems nice, their CS course is on a national top 20, so I guess that's good.

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around A-Levels though. According to some tables, I have ABB, and according to others, I have AAB.

Ah, alright. We refer to those as mortalhas here.

I intend on leaving Portugal altogether once I have the proper education and work experience, so I guess having a UK degree could help me score a job somewhere else. I reckon they'll stand out more than a degree gotten at a Portuguese university.

What are some party universities btw?

What's with this Russell Group? I've heard it mentioned before, but I never got why it's so "prestigious". Is it just a group which owns the top universities, or?

russell group basically means the good universities

>What are some party universities btw?
I went to Leeds and it was pretty good, but kinda degenerate (plenty of drug use etc). I have some continental friends that loved it, and some others that found it a bit disgusting - and I don't blame them.

Manchester, Newcastle, Liverpool, Bristol, York are good cities too.
I would avoid Birmingham imo because the city is disgusting and it's basically an Islamic enclave, but the uni is supposed to be pretty good.
London is good too if you can afford it but as you've said, you'd rather avoid it.

I'm not sure about Scottish/Welsh paty cities.

we're not really full x

I'm currently doing CS at Birmingham. The CS department is really good and the university is nice. The nightlife is pretty good although I haven't really had much of a chance to go out recently.

All the muslims in Birmingham stick to their own areas. I've been here for the past two years and I haven't encountered a single paki family.

so you've never been to the city centre?

For one reason or another Swansea is supposed to be the best night out in the UK, but in my experience that honour goes to Bristol. Manchester is the worst place for nightlife but has an OK gay scene, plus manc girls are the worst on the island.

The Russell Group is the old redbrick universities; the ones that aren't just converted polytechnics. Generally it's pretty obvious: University of Sheffield - Russell Group, Sheffield Hallam university - poly.

Also avoid the south and the midlands, the south west and the north are the only places worth being.

just get a student visa go to a "college" and work in nandos instead. basically you just grill peri peri chicken all day but the pay is better than at home.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bogus_colleges_in_the_United_Kingdom

When I say "encountered", I mean I've never encountered a paki family living where I live. The city centre is no worse than any other large city. You'll see a few but the majority will still be white.

Starting to like Swansea Uni, ay.

I looked up Bristol and I don't think I could get in there. My A-Levels are like AAB/ABB and they're asking for A*AA/AAA.

>the south west and the north are the only places worth being.
opinion absolutely discarded

You mean you are not going to Scotland and getting your education entirely paid for by SAAS?

How much of a difference does a good statement letter make?

I think I could probably come up with something good.

Also, does the fact that I studied a Programming-oriented HS course and worked/currently work as a web developer have any weight in my application?

Never mind, i just saw you want to come for the partying and not to contribute, you don't deserve that money

I'll contribute, lad. No worries.

russellgroup.ac.uk/

These universities are the only ones worth going to in this country. Your grades are good enough to get into most of them. Take that list and narrow down depending on your preferences.

He's not going to get into Oxford or Cambridge, London is a shithole, Birmingham not much better, Soton is scummy and pikey AF, and I can't think of any other decent unis round there, since anything within 100 miles of London is basically cultureless suburbia. My picks would be Cardiff, Bristol, Exeter, Sheffield, York or Liverpool, though I admittedly know nothing about Scotland.

I'd say your predicted/actual grades are far more important than your personal statement. As long as it has no spelling/grammatical errors and shows that you have an interest in the subject then it should be fine. Working as a web developer is worth mentioning if you are doing CS.