I don't get black metal, or any of the other extreme nine million metal subgenres...

I don't get black metal, or any of the other extreme nine million metal subgenres. Is it supposed to loud arrhythmic nonsense? Is it supposed to be bad? Why the edginess? Is it all memes?

Can anyone outside of the idyllic Norwegian middle-class careless existence understand it?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=IM9PUegDRz8
youtube.com/watch?v=Bdl1oQ0W-ls
youtube.com/watch?v=aCFEETZX3SY
youtube.com/watch?v=er3j01nresI
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>arrhythnic nonsense?
its not always. anyone who first listens to horribly produced black metal upon first listen will likely not be able to hear anything over the blast beats and guitar distortion. either that, or you havent listened to a black metal song that has any kind of transition in drumming.

>is it supposed to be bad?
its not supposed to sound good to normies or outsiders. its another music scene with a "sekret klvb" following. if you like it, you love it. if you dont, then you hate it.

>Why the edginess?
that could be said about a LOT of music out there. it happens to fit well with the music, like any other edgy style of music.

>is it all memes
listen to me. everyone, everything, everywhere, memes

what albums did you try out OP to have such an opinion?

It was literally made to be sound bad to deter pleas. You're not supposed to enjoy it. We don't want you to enjoy it.

>Do I understand it?
I don't. I don't understand a lot of music. But I cannot deny that I've been made to react in profound a way to various types of music; black metal is one of them. I have tingles, cold shivers, I cry not in sadness but sheer activation, I forget everything and can just be there in the music... Sounds and textures do this to me, and black metal is a collection of sounds that can commonly illicit this kind of response. I love it.

>deter pleas

ITT: children defending power chords played of time and RAAAA RAAA RAAAA as the pinnacle of music.

>you just don' understand the genius
of fucking 0-0-0-0-0-6-6-6-6-6-7-7-7-7-6-6-6-6-6-6 over and over for 3 minutes then another 2 of 0-1-0-0-0-1

> Is it supposed to loud arrhythmic nonsense?
Well you got the loud part right
>Is it supposed to be bad?
It's supposed to be unpleasant, to elicit a negative emotional reaction, for example anger, disgust, confustion, etc. Although plenty of extreme music is very melodic and pleasant as well.
>Why the edginess?
Extreme metal often tries to explore grim aspects of reality like dying, torture, depression, etc. that tend to not be addressed in other forms of music. The draw to these ideas can be morbid fascination, the mystery and unknowablity of what exactly death is, desire for gritty realism, being a depressed person, liking horror fiction, being pissed of about whatever, etc.
>Is it all memes?
Please don't just call things you don't like memes.

>Is it supposed to loud arrhythmic nonsense?
it isn't
most metal (including BM) have clear cut melodies and rhythms, but can be hidden by the wall of sound these bands often create

>Is it supposed to be bad?
nope

>Why the edginess?
depends on the band
some were maniacs, some were sad beings, some weren't edgy but just wanted to make edgy music, some weren't edgy and didn't actually create edgy music in the end as not all BM (especially past second wave) is inherently edgy

>Is it all memes?
nah

>Can anyone outside of the idyllic Norwegian middle-class careless existence understand it?
sure

I just believe you had to really grow up listening to metal, I don't really expect to see someone who doesn't listen to metal regularly to "get" black metal. There's nothing to get, you're either used to the music or not. And no its not all suppose to purposely sound like shit,

>is it all memes?

yes

>"The album was recorded under purposefully bad conditions. No guitar amplifier was used; Vikernes plugged his guitar into the amplifier of his brother's stereo and used an old fuzz pedal.[4] For the vocals, he asked a sound technician for the worst microphone he had, and ended up using a headset.[4]"

So one person accounts for an entire genre? Not all bands do this retard.

Try Blackgaze first.

if by sound like shit you mean lo-fi, yes most black metal sounds like shit

[citation needed]

It's not 2012 anymore. Atmoshit is where it's at now.

>it's shit because it's not complex enough
it's literally a genre of music that was built on minimalism.

there's plenty of complex bm too though. how do you explain this?
youtube.com/watch?v=IM9PUegDRz8

>arrhythmic
black metal is usually just in standard 4/4

try this. youtube.com/watch?v=Bdl1oQ0W-ls

Just listen to Peste Noire

its on his website

>Babbys first music argument.

youtube.com/watch?v=aCFEETZX3SY

>actually posting this
Varg's music doesn't speak for the entire genre, or even what other defining artists had set out to do with it in 2nd wave

Varg considered Filosofem anti black metal, so that quote doesn't really work for your argument

>I don't get black metal, or any of the other extreme nine million metal subgenres.

Congratulations, you are an adult.

This is what 18yo really believe.

>gritty realism
realism has never been a concern of metal.
Metal is a spectacle, like slasher movies, it's not supposed to be realistic.

Watch Begotten, watch the original Nosferatu, and you'll understand black metal.

A lot of the edginess comes from disdain of commercial aspects of metal. And what's less commercial than being obsessed with natural religions which involve a macabre aesthetic. The nazi stuff was to distinguish itself from the punk rock scene.

no please don't. then you will only be exposing yourself to a hipster bastardization of black metal without even understanding the core elements or roots.

>black metal is usually just in standard 4/4

Extreme metal usually faps to 4/4 because it's easy to have double bass drumming incorporated, to the point of it being tedious.

/thread

But there are some differences. Black Metal songs are in A minor and every other genre uses E minor.

Agreed, although there are some black metal bands that cover somewhat more "realistic" themes like Svartidaudi (drug abuse, urban decay) and Arizmenda (psychosexuality), albeit in an exaggerated and fantastical/psychedelic way.

Us Norwegians don't understand it either..

Metal is more complex than anything your plebeian ears will ever listen to. I won't even waste energy laughing at you.

youtube.com/watch?v=er3j01nresI