ITT: We have a real Intellectual discussion about pic related

I'm not sure Sup Forums can do it?

I liked when he said, "Fast and bulbous!"

Why is Frownland the best song?

i thought it was okay

Close, but it's Moonlight on Vermont

I can do it.

But what would be the point? I won't get any intellectual replies and the thread will just die in two hours anyways.

It's China pig.

What is your criteria for an "intellectual discussion"? 3-5 guys jerking each other off and muttering about polyrhythms and schizophrenia?

It's a very good record. It's genius, but not for the reasons people usually talk about. It's super weird and busted because Captain Beefheart was running his most aggressive musical experiment unchecked and the musicians he had backing him were dangerously committed to the project.

It is a work of genius in the same exact neighborhood that An Evening With Wild Man Fischer is a work of genius. People trying to ascribe technical brilliance to it are misguided. It's raw art.

I PUT A FORK IN HIS BACK

i didnt like it

I really do like it. I initially thought it was unlistenable, but I'm listening to it now and I really like it. Took me about 5 tries.

My favourite's probably Dachau Blues or Moonlight on Vermont

>i didnt get it

The way I always saw this album is to has been painstakingly put together to be as strange and unexpected as possible. Every single note and twang has been constructed specifically to baffle the listener as much as possible, and that's what makes it so unique and great.

Wrong. It's immature as shit.

Explain it.

explain it

>there's something to "get" in that album
i remember liking it along with Dream Theater and Mr Bungle

>It's a field recording filler episode

Trout Mask Replica is a surrealist deconstruction of Delta blues, rock and roll, free jazz, and African music. The music itself is shockingly and entertainingly avant-garde, the rhythms shift and the guitars rattle and the entire thing is just so, I don't know, I guess I can say conceptual. Captain Beefheart had such a strange but beautiful concept for the album, and he succeeded. It's blues from outer space.

I definitely wasn't arguing for the maturity of the record, but please, what are you talking about?

Dream Theater and Mr Bungle are dogshit, too bad that when you outgrew your avant-teen phase you didn't realize that TMR isn't avant-teen shit. I guess that truly does reveal you as a poser.

>there's something to "get" in that album
If it's intended as art, there is always something to get.
>i remember liking it along with...
Not relevant
No I mean musically. Chart it out.

>it's a bush recording
>records a local woman's bush

It's okay. It sounds like a novelty record which is annoying. The mixing is some of the worst I've ever seen and the lyrics are annoying random apart from a few songs. His voice is good though.

It has nice grooves

Hi Anthony!

basically this

>The mixing is some of the worst I've ever seen
Oh do you have Synesthesia?

>The mixing is some of the worst I've ever seen
Zappa mixed TMR

If I had to describe this album I would say in many ways this record is the equivalent of the Fantasia in Schumann's career. Adorno wrote that the Fantasia only seems the product of a madman, while in reality it is the expression of the madman one second before folly takes over.
The most notable difference from the earlier albums is the duration of the cuts, for the most part very short. Another superficial difference is in the instrumentation, augmented by horns.
The work is so innovative and complex as to be nearly indecipherable. The rhythm section sounds so polyrhythmic that all rhythm is lost. The singing , vaguely interested in music, travels within alien universes. The guitar acts as atonal contracanto. The counterpoint of the ensemble is something halfway between the orchestral chaos of Charles Ives and the audacity of John Cage. The chaotic but rational improvisation is reminiscent of the frenetic geometry of Ornette Coleman, who in turn was influenced by Van Vliet. The heterogeneous meter that Van Vliet produces are to melody what the free poetry of the 1900's are to rhyme. But free-jazz and avant garde music are only alibis, pretexts to freely vent the leader's anarchical compulsions. The album is by all accounts an anthology of chaos in all its musical forms. For as deeply varied as they are from one another, these twenty-eight cuts are many versions of the same scene of devastation. Trout Mask Replica is above all a collage of abstract paintings, each different from the other in color, intensity and contrast, yet they're all homogeneous in their "abstraction".

The early Mothers albums also sound like butt so that's not saying mutch

What are the chances that the controversies surrounding the album are a publicity ploy?

50% at least

What controversies

beating his band members, not paying his band members, etc.

>were dangerously committed to the project.

read: "abused into complying"

no proof

literally wikipedia

"French recounted living on no more than a small cup of soybeans a day for a month[7] and at one point band members were arrested for shoplifting food (with Zappa bailing them out).[8] A visitor described their appearance as "cadaverous" and said that "they all looked in poor health". Band members were restricted from leaving the house and practiced for 14 or more hours a day. Vliet once told drummer John French he had been diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia and thus he would see nonexistent conspiracies that explained this behaviour"

Kys

WOWIE ZOWIE

I could'nt bear this album the first time I listened to it, but I'm actually starting to kind of like this album, have I spent too much time on this board? All my friends think I'm pretentious now.

Yes I know and I love Zappa. This album still has quite literally the worst mixing I've ever heard

Genre:
Experimental Rock, Free Jazz, Blues Rock, Beat Poetry, Blues, Spoken Word, Experimental, Electric Blues

Descriptors:
playful, uncommon time signatures, manic, surreal, atonal, humorous, complex, raw, cryptic, chaotic, dissonant, abstract, eclectic, avant-garde, male vocals

I truly "got" it only after I've listened to Bach.

Trout mask replica is not good.
I will defend this argument until the end of time

Oh boy.
It's a novelty record guys.
That's about it. Other wise its a scam, a spook, a Rothko if you will. Which bares no substance yet you buy into it.

Let's remind ourselves that that Don was mentally ill, never had the discipline to learn an instrument himself and physically & mentally tortured his band. Not to mention, he kept all the money himself and was deeply paranoid when reporters would ask about his Trout Mask band and whether they got payed or not.

The drummer who transcribed all of Dons work was mentally & physically abused so much that he had a problem coping with the outside world after TMR and turned full Jesus freak. Too many acid spiking and beatings.
Don is a hack, most of his life is a fabricated lie and you take that to the bank.

Go out one night and play TMR to your friends, see if they don't look at you like a disgusting freak.

it's gotta be the record that had the most effect on me as music listener.
I think there is a retarded stigma that everyone has about easthetic and what art is meant to be,and this record goes against all that crap,and because that people say it's "wierd" and "experimental",but non of that crap,you only truly "get" the album when you realize it isn't wierd,it is in fact one of the most authentic and creative works of art of all time. it is far more authentic then this fucking jonh legends shit.
I think this is actually why people started comparing him to Joyce,even tho most people who do that these days are just retarded twats who go like "OH SHIT BEEFHEART IS INSANE MAN".
can you guys belive there is a facebook grp called "I honestly love trout mask replica"...it's cringe like this that give the recrod it's wrong fame of being "really wierd",but it's really not,and until you realize that it isn't wierd,you have got nothing out of the record.

It's not like they had sophisticated technology back then, not to mention money.

>Go out one night and play TMR to your friends, see if they don't look at you like a disgusting freak.
This sentence made me realize that you're baiting.

>argument

it's a classic, but it's a shame his other albums get so overshadowed by it besides maybe safe as milk

besides the 2 pop albums most of his other albums are very enjoyable, mirror man is like bluesy Can but it never gets discussed