/prod/ Panda edition

>clyp.it/5mmq5gsu

Talk about music production, composition, songwriting and audio engineering.

Upload WIPs on clyp.it/

GIVE feedback and RECEIVE feedback.

>ATTENTION!
DO NOT post Soundcloud, YouTube or any other links where you are not anonymous (unless somebody asks you for it). That is considered self promotion and will usually result in a bad feedback.

>LEARNING RESOURCES

(Obligatory mixing course)
>The Art of Mixing by David Gibson
youtube.com/watch?v=TEjOdqZFvhY

(Obligatory synthesis course + additional related videos)
>Intro to Synthesis by New York School of Synthesis
youtube.com/watch?v=atvtBE6t48M&list=RDatvtBE6t48M#t=1764

YouTube channels that you should subscribe to:

>Point Blank Music School
youtube.com/channel/UCIWNozFjO8yVdJFsGKVmPgg

>Pensado's Place
youtube.com/user/PensadosPlace

>SeamlessR (in-depth music production and sound design tutorials, based on FL Studio)
youtube.com/user/SeamlessR

>BusyWorksBeats (same as above, a lot of good new content coming)
youtube.com/user/busyworksbeats

>ADSR Music Production Tutorials
youtube.com/channel/UCf5UKh_cj2_5pUomhyswWYQ

>Justin Omoi
youtube.com/channel/UCMnmXvv9JHJPsrrob-gEn5A

>WarBeats
youtube.com/user/nfxbeats/videos

>Samori Coles (not many videos, but a few good ones on compression and EQ)
youtube.com/user/homestudiotutor/videos

>Modern Mixing
youtube.com/user/ModernMixing/videos

>Image Line Tutorials (for FL Studio users)
youtube.com/user/imageline/playlists

>READ THIS BEFORE ASKING WHERE TO BEGIN

Other urls found in this thread:

soundcloud.com/user-142007974/september-7th
clyp.it/ythevdny
clyp.it/yk41lfgn
youtube.com/watch?v=2oXco7m4pUY
youtube.com/watch?v=IO107R5AuPc
clyp.it/2a44340h
clyp.it/qwealy5i
clyp.it/q2ijbcv0
clyp.it/vwm5pogw
clyp.it/nn0agrtt
clyp.it/b3htkxvz
youtube.com/watch?v=bP8FsDW8GOI
youtube.com/watch?v=C39kQoprfP0
clyp.it/bopllca4
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dozens
mcsquared.com/echo.htm
clyp.it/riylvbhw
clyp.it/152i4eci
clyp.it/14pe3oma
clyp.it/j2nkc2wr
clyp.it/fgfm2vre
clyp.it/d0azut2l
clyp.it/ztd3crm3
clyp.it/j3q3cqhg
clyp.it/lq0zrpef
clyp.it/xd4000iv
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Posted this thread to ask

Should I add vocals before I start mixing or mix my shit then plop the vocals in the middle? A follow up question, should I have my volume all the way up when I'm mixing? Because I'm using headphones and I don't want hearing damage

You shouldn't mix on high volume since high volume easily gives you the illusion of the music sounding better than it actually does
Also you ears get fatigued way faster if you're blasting your headphones/monitors

You should mix on your normal listening level or even quieter, and occasionally bump up the volume if needed

Guys, is learning Max/MSP a good idea?

Just spent two days recording drums for my friends punk/rock band. Will start tidying and mixing those tomorrow. First time I ever record and mix a live kit.

Any tips and tricks for mixing a live kit? The raw tracks sound pretty good already

That's what I thought. Just want to make sure I'm doing all this right.

Hey ya'll, I'm looking for some criticism. I've been producing seriously since about May and I'm finding it hard to really make some progress.

I spent most of the afternoon working on this: soundcloud.com/user-142007974/september-7th

Ableton?

You should try fucking up those drum machine's sounds a little bit. I get that they're iconic and all but they're getting kinda played out aren't they?

Made this over the last couple of days. Let me know how it sounds.

clyp.it/ythevdny

Don't worry, it takes years, and a lot of failures. In fact, it probably always feel like a struggle for everyone, at all skill levels I think.

Anyways, in terms of drum processing. What I've liked to do lately is load up one drum machine with samples that sound relatively similar, and then play them in an alternating patter. I find it makes drums sound better than just a few samples. I also find that mixing high end elements relatively quiet and adding some subtle EQ works well.

I would also recommend adding more compression to your drums! Parallel compression can make your kicks and snares sound more present and punchy. Saturation compression can be placed on pretty much everything to make it "gel".

I'm not really an expert in terms of drums, but I'm around to help if you have specific questions. I use reason, but I could post what my processing looks like.

newest wip ive been working on. Still need to eq everything. let me know what you guys think.

clyp.it/yk41lfgn

>clyp.it/ythevdny
I think the snare is a bit too loud
other than that it's a nice piece of music =)

What vsts would you guys recommend to do this early 2000's low end lo-fi style?

Here are some examples
youtube.com/watch?v=2oXco7m4pUY

youtube.com/watch?v=IO107R5AuPc

So I posted in a /prod/ thread yesterday and asked for advice on improving my flow. I was introduced to a lot of nerdcore rappers and was happy about that since that's what I'm going for.

Aside from being told to kill myself, I was also told to learn more about mixing vocals.

I bought a hardware equalizer and read some articles on EQ-ing today. I think it sounds a lot better and more crisp than my previous work. I appreciate the help.

clyp.it/2a44340h

clyp.it/qwealy5i

The first one is my newest song and my attempts to learn to EQ. The second on is routed directly into the recorder with no EQ.

The Swank Daddy clip is using pretty standard drums and keys sounds (maybe a 90's ROMpler like a Roland JV-1080 that can be bought for cheap) with more emphasis on treatment to make it lo-fi - think tape emulators and valve compression to re-create something that sounds a little like it.

I couldn't listen to the second clip because it made my eyes and ears sad.

>Sup Forums meme op followed by a desiigner op
gross, that's a gross way to live

Thanks user

Memes on Sup Forums?? What has this world come to?

Thanks for the input! Glad you like it: D

Heres the full piece. Eqed everything but want to add some more distortion on the sub i think

forgot the link clyp.it/q2ijbcv0

i dont really like using max but i think its worth learning if youre into making your own devices

what do you guys think of this note

clyp.it/vwm5pogw

lol forgot to ctrl v

clyp.it/nn0agrtt

pretty cool sound

I have a question. Which is more important to getting a professional grade sound- recording technique, or mixing?

clyp.it/b3htkxvz
pls feedback

Recording technique for me is the most important.

Recording technique is where you capture what is actually being performed and if you want your musicians to sound like themselves that needs to be done as accurately as possible.

Once you have your accurate recordings you can then choose to mangle them in any way you choose - if they're mangled to begin with you don't have the same option.

mixing can only do so much, but a clear sound from start will help you much more

Good note. Would play again

Was thinking this. I really realized it after I downloaded the raw tracks for a Nine Inch Nails song, and it already sounded damn near perfect without me mixing it at all

what does it mean when my rms meter is going +6 +8 but my song is quiet as fuck

it means you done goofed

>clyp.it/ythevdny
I like it Reason bro. From that point on in the song I'd add another bass, something really sub. I almost said with a long decay, but I don't really mean that, I just mean with the notes held down more. Feels like it would add a good floor to stuff, there's a space in the spectrum down there.

>I was introduced to a lot of nerdcore rappers and was happy about that since that's what I'm going for.
That was me who posted all those nerdcore artists.

Here's what tune I play whenever I own something.
youtube.com/watch?v=bP8FsDW8GOI

Nerdcore baby.

OK flow wise, you're finew with lyrics, you're fine with rhythm, the one thing you're lacking is DELIVERY. Are you recording somewhere where you have to be quiet? You sound like you're holding back, like you're not fully committing. You do sound like you mean it but just that you're not sure other people will like it to. Believe that shit man. I dunno, maybe try and say it more as though it's matter of fact or something, not like you're trying to convince?

It feels like each section is a little long, you should perhaps try making the song transition faster.

Nice chilled house tune man. Continue.

I actually have a triangle sub osc at around the the 40hz range in the bass. I put it's amp way down though, so that the 160 Hz range osc has more presence. Maybe it's too quiet? I'm never totally sure about how to handle subs.

Looking at it on the spectrum analyzer I almost thought it had too much low end lol. Thanks for the feedback!

I'm listening to it on studio monitors and it feels like it's barely there man.

Does clyp.it affect super low end via compression?

Huh, good to know. Especially because I pretty much only use headphones. I'll definitely try tweaking that!

>triangle sub osc
Maybe add a sine wave voice as well.
Sine wave has always been my favourite sub bass.

Don't rely on the analyser always, gotta use your ears as well. I have headphones and monitors and I listen through both for final mixes.

Also if you want to know what it will sound like on a shitty radio (the old style "radio mix" instead of club mix was done for this, it wasn't just edited to be shorter) I put it on through some shitty laptop speakers as well. Proper recording studios will play the mix through a radio type device as well to check.
I think it could be the flavour of the bass tone, hence

I listened to it again and the bass wasn't as low as I thought. I didn't notice until I turned the volume up though.
In fact I retract 90% of what I said, It just needs bumping a tiny notch on volume perhaps (inb4 redline).

Fuck I should listen to stuff twice before I give feedback.

Hey is this a place to ask questions about how a certain sound from the past was achieved in the studio? Never been in one of these threads.

You can ask. Someone might know.

Haha, I think it's still worth tinkering with. Now I'm hearing what's not there... If that makes sense

That rumbling ghost piano in Sister Morphine is one of my favorite things in all of music (starts at 2.17 below). I want to know how they got that. There's an old thread I found on some board that says it's a totally 'wet' (100% plate reverb) signal generated by the piano. What does that mean? What is a plate/echo plate?

youtube.com/watch?v=C39kQoprfP0

Yeah I get what you mean.
I've been doing this for years and I still sometimes listen with cloth ears to my own mixes and fuck themn up, then next time I load it up I think "wtf was I doing?"
I think this is why a lot of good electronic acts are duos (Daft Punk, Orbital, Chemical Brothers, etc etc). I've been looking for someone near me to team up with so we can stop each other going full retard but I can't seem to find anyone who isn't a total beginner who wants to make the gayest trap alive.

clyp.it/bopllca4

Wannabe videogame musician here. I've been trying to wrap my head around mastering, and compressors for the past few months.

The song loops at 0:30, it isn't actually two minutes long.

All I want is for it to not sound amateur, what do you think of the quality?

Sounds like it's a piano sent through a reverb with no dry signal at all, only wet, with a late reflection on it. Those guys were right.

That is a catchy chiptune.

Not the user you were responding to, but ytc is fucking awesome.

WHAT DOES THAT MEAN? Is the question. What is dry signal? What is late reflection? Jack Nitzsche is playing the piano. Then what? Is this effect added after its put to tape or its being recorded this way? Is it a separate part overdubbed later? Its not live in the studio sounding that way, right? I need someone to break it down for me. Thanks in advance.

dont forget this

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dozens

>WHAT DOES THAT MEAN? Is the question. What is dry signal?
I'm not your personal google m8.

wet = with fxs
dry = without fx

dry/wet = ratio between signal without fx and signal with fxs

>Its not live in the studio sounding that way, right?
Maybe it is, depending on how you connect stuff together you can be hearing the reverbed shit but be recording it dry

>late reflection
mcsquared.com/echo.htm

Got it, that makes sense, thank you.

So you have a piano sound right? Imagine it's recorded in a room with zero echo at all, all you hear is the piano. That is the "dry sound." Sounds are sent into the reverb. The reverb has a bunch of different options. And then it outputs the "dry signal" which is the signal with no reverb at all, it completely bypasses the reverb effect. And the wet signal which is everything produced by the algorithm of whatever reverb you are using. Most reverbs have different types of sounds to emulate different settings, like if the piano was being played in a large hall, or a small room, or a cathedral. These settings are usually, literally called "room" "cathedral" "hall" and stuff like that.

Plate reverbs are something different, it has to do with the way the reverb generated and I don't know a lot about it, but the basic idea is the original sound is completely gone and all you hear is the "echo" or the reverb that is left. Almost all reverb VST's will have either a wet volume and dry volume, or will have a "mix" volume which is just 100%="max wet, no dry" and 0%="Max dry, no wet".

I'm an amateur so I might get terminology wrong, I might have gotten everything wrong, I'm just trying to explain in laymans terms

>I'm an amateur so I might get terminology wrong, I might have gotten everything wrong, I'm just trying to explain in laymans terms
You were right.

Thanks! All I really want to do is make cheesy video game music, but I at least want the song to be loud, and I just want it to sound like it was made by someone who KIND OF knew what they were doing... but all I really care about is making fun sounding tunes lol.

>all I really care about is making fun sounding tunes lol.
You're succeeding, continue. Maybe go check the steam greenlight forums for games looking for music.

No, thank you, I get it now. There is no original dry piano sound on this, it's all the reverb effect, full reverb as it were and it sounds even farther away when paired with Ry Cooder's lead slide work which is high in the mix. I get what they were doing now. Thank you so much, it was just something I always wondered about.

I touched up le mix

clyp.it/riylvbhw

>clyp.it/riylvbhw
I'd put a bit of variation on the main arpeggio synth.

Saved from page ten.

So I don't really listen to electronic music much, but I gave a go at making something regardless.
clyp.it/152i4eci

Not entirely sure where to take it..

Needs chopped up amen breaks and an angry coked up fat guy shouting onscenities over it.

clyp.it/14pe3oma
I'm trying to recreate the sound that desiigner has, please feedback

I like the drums, and enjoy the dreamy whirly synth when it comes in at 0:54. at 1:54 the sounds are cool how did you make them?

I like this one, I'm not listening with anything good right now, but if the other user thinks the snare is too loud, for me it would be the kick

this could definitely be in a videogame
the most catchy part would clearly be your synths, which combine really well, my fav bit was actually the bongo drums :^)

clyp.it/j2nkc2wr
give feedback please
how do I make it sound better
It's a cloud rap instrumental

>how do I make it sound better
You could get better at mastering, you could get better at mixing, you could get better at sound design, you could get better at composing, you could get better at song structure, you could get better at rhythm, you could get better at songwriting, you could get better at pretty much anything. Just make the music you want to make, and pick out what bothers you about your own music, and then work on that

Thanks, I enjoy making music like this. Did you like it?

I did! I like the slight stop before the beat really kicks in... What software are you using to make this?

fl studio 12, massive, absynth 2, and samples. Glad you liked it!

Someone give me an ear with this breakbeat I'm working on. Where am I going wrong?
clyp.it/fgfm2vre
I'll be playing a live bass over this I think, and synths. This is just percussion so far.

There is a lot going on in this break. Too many sounds i'd say. This would be fine if it was a "roller" type tune but what you've got is sort of a haphazard, off-beat thing going on. I would suggest adding a sharp snare sound on every second bar or something similar; just to give the beat some constancy and danceability.
I don't like that sort of floppy sounding percussion noise (idk what to call it).
As it is, the beat just sort of stagnates instead of progressing if you know what i mean. Don't try to make it too off-beat and complex, it needs constancy and sharper sounding percussion in my opinion.

Yeah, maybe it needs more backbeat.

Yeah, that's the word i was looking for

reason or ableton

clyp.it/d0azut2l
Some thoughts on this?
Ableton

Reason.
Nice beat.

Have you been playing Shanate? Sounds like it could have been pulled directly from it. I love that game's music

>Nice beat.
Thank you, though why reason over ableton?

I just realized how dubstep was invented

>someone was making a dub song with a synthesizer bass preset
>they accidentally knocked the mod wheel forward

stay tuned for more genius insight

I find it's better because of the hardware emulation aspect. I like being able to twiddle dials more than draw envelopes. All the synths in it have defaults for my midi controllers so I don't have to fuck about setting it up.
Plus you can do crazy rewiring of stuff.

I seem to remember downloading 'with teeth' stems and those must have been already processed

I do remember noticing the layering of sounds was very well done

I like it! I'd love to hear it with some bass freestyle or something under it

Yeah that does look fun af. I should give it a try.

Done some more work on those breakbeat drums. There's a backbeat that I've put in now.
So far it's six different rhythm tracks, most of which aren't loops but random chopping all the way through. Assigned them all to dials on my midi controller and been live djing them in and out.
clyp.it/ztd3crm3
Sound any better?

how to make this ?

Get an organ sound and run it through 3 distortion pedals.

I can already hear where I've overused a snare roll all the way through.

bump

Am I on the right track with this bassline and these keys?
clyp.it/j3q3cqhg

pls respond.

Not sure what I did

clyp.it/lq0zrpef

>clyp.it/ythevdny
This is so cool. How can i make drums like this? The hihat roll is so nice

fl studio

kind of

>kind of
That is the vaguest feedback I've ever heard.

something i've been working on lately
clyp.it/xd4000iv
my thougths:
>too long. some sections go on for an unnecessary amount of time
>volume during breakdowns is too high for some reason
>vocals are borderline cringeworthy and i should probably ditch them
>i must buy some proper monitors cause mixing on hifi speakers is impossible

your thoughts?