Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=IzKNwhrpJtY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

The bad seeds more like the bad album eheh

#rekt

The cover feels right

thank you for da mega link

The Firstborn Is Dead more like The Thirdborn Is Dead

What a fucking masterpiece, Radiohead & Frank Ocean & Memegrips and Sup Forumscore in general literally BTFO
10/10

can confirm this, AOTY no question about it

A O T Y
O
T
Y

Fuck, if i knew there was a mega link on Sup Forums i wouldn't have snatched it on what.cd 5 minutes ago... now i trashed my ratio again... sucks

Can't listen to it right now. How is it so far? Better than Push the sky away?

How is almost every Nick Cave record so fucking good. Push The Sky Away was good, but so far this is better.

All of his work is good but none of it is perfect.

AOTD

I'm probably gonna watch the documentary tomorrow, I might just wait til then to listen

Is the rest of the album like "jesus alone"?

>Magneto

Holy shit, feels bad man.

Not really, they are better

This. Jesus Alone is the "worst" track and I like it.

That's good cause that song was underwhelming. Gonna listen to it tomorrow.

Holy shit it's really might be the AOTY

Uhm they're all kinda the same sort of slow spoken word thing.

this should be a lot better

half his albums are perfect and the rest are 4/5+
>they're all kinda the same sort of slow spoken word thing
boner dead

God, Nick Cave is such fedora core bullshit music for people who think Jack Kerouac and Charles Bukowski are the best writers ever. Only person worse is Tom Waits.

No all, they are 2-3 tracks like that and they are still really well made. I say this as a person who don't really likes spoken word songs

oh my

>t. Animal Collective fan
I bet my left nut you're american

people with good taste in music generally don't care about lesser art forms enough to know who you are talking about

butthurt nick cave fan detected
go vape like the pathetic sack of shit you are

i'm 4 tracks deep and they're all slow, nearly spoken word songs, neo-ballads. he sang more on Push the Sky Away, which i loved. so far, Skeleton Key is great and equally as atmospheric as PTSA, like a continuation of it. heartfelt stuff here. i wonder what his next project will focus on the tragedy even more, as SK was composed and written before his son passed away. it was recorded and finished after, though.

ah, finally some actual singing on track 5.

seems Cave is getting away from narrative driven songs and going more for impressionistic lyrics.

This is Nick Cave's Kid A

"Distant Sky" is the song of the year

heard the rest. Skeleton Key is a collection of really sad songs - you can almost hear Nick's voice crack in a song or two - that merges Cave & Ellis's recent soundtrack ambiance with the Push the Sky Away vibe. i could be wrong, but i think there's only one song with actual drum beats, not brushes, in it. not necessarily a bad thing. need to listen to it several more times to determine if it outranks PtSA. on first listen, i give the album a B+

yeah, Distant Sky is a great song. i have no idea what you mean by saying Skeleton Key is Cave's Kid A, though. care to elaborate? as for song of the year, i still maintain that distinction belongs to David Bowie with either Blackstar, Lazarus, or Dollar Days from *. i'd love to see Nick Cave finally receive some mainstream accolades with Distant Sky, though, as it is definitely one of his best ever.

I mean mostly in the way that with Kid A Radiohead basically went like "fuck being a rock band, let's do something else" and made music mostly relying on atmosphere, changing guitars for synths, and with band members either having a very minimalistic role (or slightly buried under synth pads), or not being in the track at all. With the Bad Seeds I guess it's really more a case of pro musicians who know when to play and, just as importantly, when not to.

ah, gotcha. however, i think with Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, you can hear the progression by listening to the soundtrack work and Push the Sky Away. seems they retired the hard rock ghost with Grinderman and Dig, Lazarus, Dig. for a while, at least. Kid A, on the other hand, came out of nowhere. there were hints on Ok Computer, but not that they'd completely change their approach, record more minimalistic synth tracks, and add brass to a dance tune. eh, i may be wrong. or should i say, i might be wrong? anyways, thanks for the input.

Skeleton Key, Bowie's *, and the new Radiohead are my top three albums of the year. does anything released this year even compare?

>Skeleton Key

It's actually Skeleton Tree

oops, you're right. i'm a dunce.

youtube link?

GOAT bookends on here. Not sure which one of them i like more, but they sound like opposites. Jesus Alone is hell, Skeleton Tree is heaven.

the album was just leaked, mate, as it's officially released Friday. give it a day or two. someone is bound to youtube it.

COME ON I WANTED TO LISTEN TO IT WHEN IT GOT TO MY DOORSTEP ON THE NINTH WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS TO ME

you can wait. don't let a leak ruin your first listen. just don't download it. you can do it. i believe in you.

>when he says blue eyed boy in Girl In Amber

fuck

yeah, man, that kills me, too. saw a few clips from the doc, Once More With Feeling, and i don't know how people won't shed a few tears. really sad stuff.

Alright user
I love Nick Cave but I've only gotten to the boatman's call, should I at least listen to push the sky away just so I can get used to his more modern sound?

well, i think the best thing you can do is listen to his albums in succession, but, yeah, that's a good idea. i think you're skipping a handful going straight from Boatman to Skeleton. i'd say give Lazarus and Sky a listen first. however, each album is it's own entity. i personally love his newer sound. to each their own, i guess. oh and don't forget the double album Abattoir Blues and Lyre of Orpheus. great stuff on those.

Well I was planning on going chronological yeah, I'll try to get through as much as I can

What is this documentary people have been mentioning?

>not just being a leech
Never really seeded a day in my life.

Never really listened to Nick Cave but I can imagine the lyrics are going to touch upon his sons death or just death in general.

What album should I start on?

I think Nick Cave's a faggot

A faggot that fucked PJ Harvey, sang What A Wonderful World whilst smashed with Shane McGowan and has put out some damn good rock records.

Rings of Saturn is the most amazing thing ive ever heard,

where do I go from here in his discogography? I need more of this in my life right now

Well user, what kind of music do you like?
If you'd like to hear some very wild and crazy angry post punk, start at the beginning and listen to the birthday party. If you'd like to hear some softer and beautiful songs, the album the good son is great, and scaruffi gave it a 9. Let Love in is great, tender prey is great. If you like those then pretty much listen to his whole discography because he has like eight great albums I haven't listed. Seriously.

Um, well to be honest I'd like to say I like everything, but my main genre of choice is hip hop (no bully please).

Fucking loser.
That was more of a rhetorical question because I explained everything you need to know immediately after.
Just go to rym and look at his highest rated albums like a normal person

NOTHING REALLY MATTERS

I need you

am I the only one who likes old man nick cave way better than young punk nick cave? i love his newer records, you can just tell how confident he is in trying new styles

>fucking loser
Why are you so angry and hostile user? Did someone touch you?

Bad Seeds? is Blixa back by any chance?
if not I´m not bothering

>this furious poster

No he's not back. Blixa is in fact the man though

>Never really listened to Nick Cave but I can imagine the lyrics are going to touch upon his sons death or just death in general.

The accident happened halfway through the recording of the album, so it probably wasn't on his mind when he started it, but surely it affected the general outcome somehow. I'm sure the movie will delve into it a bit.

Perhaps the most accessible (and arguably best) Bad Seeds stuff is the unofficial trilogy made up of Henry's Dream, Let Love In, and Murder Ballads. One of their best line-ups and with Nick Cave on top of his game as singer and songwriter. Any of those three would make a great start.

Good news: YES BLIXA IS BACK NIGGA
Bad news: in every song he does as much as he did in the "are you the one i've been waiting for" video

Once More With Feeling, about making the album, which obviously touches upon the tragedy, shot by Andrew Fucking Dominik, with whom he's worked with in the past. it was recently screened in the film festival in Venice. Nick did the documentary, according to Dominik, in lieu of doing any press for the album and also to work out his grief.

nah, i've aged along with Nick. his old stuff had it's day. i prefer his newer stuff, too.

obvious samefag is so obvious

you know what's crazy? the song Mark Kozelek made in tribute to Nick Cave's son ended up being in the exact same style as this album.

youtube.com/watch?v=IzKNwhrpJtY

funny, i was listening to that yesterday caught in the rain at the supermarket. Mark's doing another album with Jesu coming out summer of next year and a double album in December or Feb, i forget. damn, Kozelek is prolific. while i dig his new stuff, i think he peaked with Among the Leaves and Benji. his album with LaValle is stellar, too.

I was just bantering guys I didn't mean to hurt anyone's feelings ;_;

damn this is really good

Starting this bad boy now senpai. Wish me luck it's been an emotional af week for me

>downloading a huge release the day it's posted
>bad

dude have you even got a static ip?

this is so very true

this is really bad

I am so sick of this old fedoracore goth dude in a half-buttoned shirt talk-crooning at me

So it's The hold Steady?

Aw shit, I forgot this was coming out so soon.

I did this too. Just got it off What.cd. Oh well, my ratio is good enough for it to not really matter.

I don't even want to listen to this. It feels so perverse. I can't even imagine how it must feel to have that happen to you.

What, his son's death?

The album's pretty beautiful actually. It's exactly the type of music I've been wanting to listen to recently actually. You can tell it's pretty emotional for him though. His voice sounds kind of off for most of the album.

Yeah. I'd probably kill myself if my son died like that.

It's pretty sad really, I know. Happened to John Travolta's son a few years back too.

it's shit

lol no Cave actively calls out Bukowski for being a shit writer. Yer thinking of The Hold Steady.

Nicc Cave is Sup Forumscore

holy shit this is so fucking good
an album has never hit me like this on first listen ever. this is the real aotd

Definitely AOTY material. My favourite track is I Need You

>i thought i knew better
>so much better

I can't fucking handle it. It's so good but it's too much.

>Only person worse is Tom Waits.
lol

bump

I don't want to listen to it on such a sunny day, feels like something that should be listened to at night

please keep this thread bumped until then

boomp

It's raining here. Appropriate enough.

eh, it's like a 5/10 for me. pretty dissapointing. too many of the songs have really cheesy synths, and some of his singing gets into really corny-sounding territory. it's a shame because Tender Prey is like a 9.5/10 for me.

Update. Loved it. Probably more than Push the Sky Away, which I really enjoyed. It's still fresh so needs more listens but it's a goddamn beautiful record.
Just got back from the screening of One More Time With Feeling too. If you get a chance and are a Nick Cave fan, I strongly reccommend you go

I was about to book a ticket myself for tonight but I just noticed it will be shown in 3D (for what fucking reason??) so I can't go cause I wear glasses.
What a stupid fucking trend.

Where I saw it, it wasn't in 3D. Was nice and comfy 2D

Just got back from the movie. It was absolutely heartbreaking and beautiful