Convince me that this isn't the greatest album ever made

convince me that this isn't the greatest album ever made

It's not because Ys is better.

Because i exist.

I like Ys more

Because Ys and Divers are better.

Ys might be one of the most beautiful albums of all time, but it's spectacle gets in the way of the emotional impact. HOoM is much subtler, both musically and lyrically. compared to the overwhelming decadence of Ys, Ryan's arrangements are slow builds, showing masterful instrumental restraint. Each new instrument feels enormous, and many tracks reach their climax with something as simple as the entrance of percussion or strings. Lyrically, the record feels much more human. Joanna ditches the extravagant language of Ys for beautifully simple poetry. The stories are easy to follow yet unbelievably beautiful and moving. The album is filled with lines that still blow me away. Due to the shorter song lengths, every track feels singular while still feeling like a part of a larger work. These shorter lengths also allow the record to cover much more ground musically. Like Ys, Joanna's vocals are fantastic, though they often sound much more refined while remaining wildly expressive. The album excels in every single aspect. It exists at a point of absolute perfection while still presenting a unique sound. It's an achievement that has never been matched

is this enough proof?

meant to tag instead of . Death Grips are cool but they aren't nearly as meticulous as joanna

I prefer Natalie's work

I've never actually listened to this album all in one sitting, but I really mean to

it's long as fuck man

pussy

ps it's totally worth it

Personally I think the decadence of Ys works in its favor. Not only does it fit with one of the album's major themes ("The hill are groaning with excess, like a table ceaselessly being set"), but it also helps support the length of the songs. I think songs like Only Skin or especially Monkey and Bear would definitely suffer from a more sparse arrangement (Monkey and Bear more so because of the fairy tail nature of the song, but the length as well). Similarly, most HOOM songs wouldn't be right with Van Dyke's arrangements. I think both albums have arrangements that work perfectly for what they're trying to do; but I just like Ys more.

It's definitely the best album of the 2010s. But not all time.

Disk 2?

I absolutely love Ys, and I think the arrangements fit the songs perfectly, but I think the relative sparsity of makes it much more impactful, which is why I hold it higher. Ys feels like an exercise in excess, both lyrically and musically, while HOoM feels like a deconstruction of a human being, with vulnerable music to compliment the vulnerable lyrics. That said, there are definitely days when I think that only skin is her greatest singular accomplishment

You're stupid.
The money store > ur life

qtp2t

who her?

she aiight

On a Good Day starts the disc perfectly. It reintroduces the listener to the toxicity of the relationship, Asserting Joanna's half hearted hope that things will get better. The melody is simple, drawing the listener's attention to the lyrics. It feels like a soliloquy, beckoning the audience into the next act of the opera. You and Me, Bess one of the most harmonically interesting songs on the album, existing in two keys throughout. Each verse changes instrumentally, switching from a simple harp to a duet to a beautiful horn background. In California is the peak of the entire album, consisting of an incomparable build aided by tympani, some of Joanna's finest lyrics, and are remarkable song structure. The string entrance in the second chorus is maybe the most incredible moment on the entire album, giving the listener the payoff they want, only to immediately take it away. The ensuing tympani driven breakdown nothing short of stunning. Jackrabbits allows the listener to decompress, filling a role similar to On a Good Day, while feeling slightly more fleshed out. Go Long is another showstopper, again featuring a fantastic build and a unique 3 harp arrangement. Occident closes the second act in emotionally unsure territory, showing Joanna as hopeful, vulnerable, but still doubtful. The chorus is excellent and the drum entrance gives the perfect amount of momentum to reach it's end

Her voice sucks

ye

It's two fucking hours

my fave is still the milk-eyed mender

I don't see a problem when every minute is great

Ys hits me more emotionally than HooM does

ONE TWO THREE FOUR

>milk-eyed mender

Contrarian as fuck

>zune HD playing on random while driving co-workers to local asian restaurant during lunch break
>Joanna Newsom - Soft as Chalk starts playing
>get made fun of for listening to "Old grandma music"

>not making a playlist for normie associates
ur fault

I think Death Grips are almost unquestionably the best band of this decade, but I can't put them above Joanna

she's so perfect

Ys exists.

It can't be it has bad songs on it.

Y's has zero bad songs

>Y's has zero bad songs

It's Ys, pronounced "eess"