Any love for Judee Sill? Never seen her talked about

Any love for Judee Sill? Never seen her talked about.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=P4tSxbYhUwc
youtube.com/watch?v=K-YWVGJIHcs
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

She's fucking great. Both of her albums are great but I especially love her s/t. Taken way too soon, her life story is a huge bummer to read.

Don't expect a lot of discussion about folk artists on this board unless they're Bob Dylan, Nick Drake, or some indie folk crap.

Judee Sill, Buffy Saint-Marie, Karen Dalton, Linda Perhacs, Vashti Bunyan.

All creatures of beauty.

The only thing I know if her is The Turtles song she wrote for them, which I was literally listening to right now.

youtube.com/watch?v=P4tSxbYhUwc

Apparently she wrote the song while in jail, about her lesbian lover.

Pic related for more girlfolk.

>girlfolk
We should do a chart. Here's what we got so far.

>Judee Sill - Heart Food
>Shirley & Dolly Collins - Anthems in Eden
>Vashti Bunyan - Just Another Diamond Day
>Karen Dalton - It's So Hard To Tell Who's Going to Love You Best
>Linda Perhacs - Parallelograms
>Buffy Sainte-Marie - Illuminations

Suggestions?

orriel smith - a voice in the wind
sibylle baier - colour green

She's alright, Jesus Was a Cross-Maker is a nice song but a lot of her songs are typical 60's yarn

Judee Sill is one of my favourites. Joni Mitchell just overshadows every other female songwriter around that time, but I still much prefer Judee and Dory Previn over her. Nothing against Joni and I am a big fan, but it's a shame about the two others. Such a tragic life too, the both of them. I recommend checking out Laura Veirs' "Song for Judee" off her new album with Neko Case and k.d. lang youtube.com/watch?v=K-YWVGJIHcs

Have you actually listened to her music? If so, do you genuinely believe her songs are "typical 60's [sic] yarn"? Could you please recommend me more of that yarn then?

This is actually one of my favorite songs by her and I was totally unaware of this version. Thanks

Well you got hot essentials like Joni Mitchell's Blue that should be on there for the sake of being thorough. Most people would probably recognize Joanna Newsom but she is worth including as well.

More stuff, most of this is chamber folk because it's what I listen to the most:

Douji Morita - A Boy
Shelleyan Orphan - Helleborine
June Tabor - Airs and Graces
Cindy Kallet - Working on Wings to Fly
Rosalie Sorrels - Travelin' Lady

I wanna include a Melanie album too because I love her but she's just folk pop. Dunno if that'd fit so great.

That album fucking kicks ass. That should go on the chart too, just for a sort of modern flavor. Pic related.

I think Dalton - In My Own Time is a better LP overall, if only for Something On Your Mind

No prob. I think they were friends with her, and they signed her to their label. When The Turtles were going to break up, they decided to record a final single, and did that song. She's playing the acoustic guitar on it.

yeah I love her

also
>“This is a fuck up, motherstickers!”

Anyone else concur? I'll change it if that's the common public opinion

Wow! She is amazing. Thanks my bro!

Molly Drake - S/t
Emmylou Harris - Pieces of the Sky
Susan Reed - s/t
Shirley Collins - False True Lovers
Selda - s/t
Sandy Denny - The North Star Grassman and the Ravens
Nico - The Marble Index
Nika Soup & Saya Source - Ipiya
Mary O'Hara - Songs of Ireland
Julie Byrne - Rooms With Walls and Windows
Joan Baez - s/t
Jessica Pratt - On Your Own Love Again
Gillian Welch - Revival
Cat Power - Moon Pix
Tia Blake - Folksongs & Ballads
Tracey Thorn - A Distant Shore

Judee is on some weird shit but I dig it

Alright, I think I got most of the stuff suggested in the thread. Any more stuff to add?

bump

Girl folk sounds like a dumb name to me.