We all agree that this is the peak of grunge, right?

We all agree that this is the peak of grunge, right?

Followed closely by the singles from Dirt, and Nirvana's MTV Unplugged album

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=dwi8muAVB2Q
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It''s definitely my favorite grunge [album/EP]

Local H is better desu senpai

m8, Local H is Bush tier. not offensively bad like the late 90s/ early 00s post-grunge offerings but still bland copycats trying too hard to sound like Nirvana. The song Eddie Vedder is more tolerable than most Pearl Jam songs tho, I'll give em that

Sorry, I should've been more specific. Local H - Pack Up The Cats is better desu senpai. The rest of their catalogue is spotty.

I definitely agree

Zzzzzz

plebeian scum

it's really good but it hasn't got much to do with grunge

>it's not from seattle and it wasn't a popular shirt design with scene kids in the 2000s so it's not grunge

yeah the only thing is that nevermind is objectively the best album to come out of the early 90's

Kek. Nirvana is mediocre at best

I don't agree with that album pick, but Alice in Chains is the only """grunge""" band not to suck cock.

The Sabbath influence is impeccable.

>The Sabbath influence is impeccable.

Surely you must at least dig badmotorfinger if that's what you're into?

A few of their songs are alright, but grunge as a whole makes me want to drink heavily and kill myself afterwards.

I think that was kind of the point, hence why half the big 4 actually went and did that

>big 4

That reminds me... who would have thought that my favorite """grunge""" album would come from fucking Anthrax?

youtube.com/watch?v=dwi8muAVB2Q

Ha, that actually wasn't too bad. Weird, I've never checked them out beyond the 80s cuz I thought their thrash was really mediocre, like not even in the top 20 thrash bands, but it seems they may have handled the 90s more gracefully than any of the big 4

Houdini

Soundgarden = Alice in Chains > Nirvana > Stone Temple Pilots >>> Pearl Jam

Temple of the Dog > Soundgarden > Alice in Chains > Mad Season > Melvins > Nirvana > Mother Love Bone > Mudhoney > Screaming Trees > Truly > L7 > Pearl Jam > Malfunkshun > Late > Hater > Hole > Skin Yard > Gruntruck > Green River >

I wish screaming trees had better songs cuz I love mark lanegans voice but I find them kinda lacking :(

Also melvins are like leagues ahead of all grunge artists and shouldn't even really be included I grunge lists desu. They were sludge metal through and through with a couple of poppier tracks in their major label years.

Nah mate, I like the Temple of the Dog album too, but you can't pretend it's better than the whole Soundgarden and AIC discogs. Same goes for Mad Season - not better than Nirvana.

In Utero is better desu

Would you feed his eyes Sup Forums?

Best grunge hook. I want to find someone who'll sing the chorus back at me when I start like a fag

Unfortunately I live in England in 2016, not Seattle in 1992, so people just look at me like I'm retarded

Tryhard opinion tbqh familia

God, I so wish I'd been born in 1972. Imagine hitting 18 in 1990:
>Start of rave culture, massive free parties, good drugs, "Madchester".
>Tail end of decent 80s alternative rock: Pixies, Sonic Youth, REM,
>Grunge explosion
>Shoegaze
>Shit, even Guns and Roses and the "stadium rock" would've been fun
>Britpop explosion a little later, good for laffs
>Record stores still actually a thing
Why even live now, bros?

True though

are you me

Also the trip hop craze which woulda been chill af and all the most interesting experimental/ post rock dropped in the early 90s

Born in le wrong generation :(

Quality over Quantity
Grunge isn't a genre

Layne had a hard life.

Holy fuck. How close was that to his death?

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. I know this feel

But for me it's more about being able to save Industrial bands when they were good and go to raves.

Also the Club Kid scene in NYC.

He was called Layne for starters. What kind of a name is that? Like calling your kid Parlottte or Deremy.

"Stay in your lane, Layne" huhuhuhu

Four years prior. I shudder to think about what he looked like just before his death. In some ways I think it's kind of a good thing that no photos of him after 1998 have ever surfaced.

deremy? fuck me

I think there is one photo that does have him post 1998 but only his mother has it

wait, did Layne just happen to die on the same date Kurt blew his brains out?

Spooky

Lanye West

grungebump

Four years? Fuck, IIRC, didn't the police find Layne practically skin and bones?

Unplugged is inarguably the peak of the grunge movement

I read he was found emaciated (88 pounds) toothless, sitting around used needles, crack pipes on the table, a static television, and heron tracks to and from the bathroom

I'd agree with that.

With that being said it's not exactly the highest commendation there is. Grunge was a dead-end genre on arrival.

i read that, too

Bleach>>>

>If you wouldnt mind I would like to blew...

What did he mean by this?

He was expressing the feeling of some kind of high energy that comes from his inside and makes him feel like he's about to explode.

Cool interpretation. My favorite part of the album is when he goes AHHHHHHHHHH at the end of scoff

>I'M A NEGATIVE CREEP, I'M A NEGATIVE CREEP, I'M A NEGATIVE CREEP
>WHAT THE HELL AM I DOING HERE
>I DON'T BELONG HERE

what did he mean by this?

Acceptable list although I personally put AIC=Nirvana

Why do people circlejerk Nirvana Unplugged so much? Like it's really good but all 3 of their studio albums are better. Bleach MIGHT be on the same level as Unplugged but In Utero and Nevermind shit all over it

kekd

Just really good performances, fucking great covers and a great setlist all round. I guess there is a cynical side to it what with his death being so soon after etc but still some of the performances are genuinely haunting

Literally GOAT.

The Ledbetter cover where he strains on That Shiver, music has never made me feel that way before especially knowing what happened in the following months

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Unplugged but I couldn't ever consider it better than the Big 2 studio albums. It's just a bit too samey, and while Where Did You Sleep gives me goosebumps I'd still way rather listen to all of NVM than all of Unplugged

Well personally there's also the fact that I just wore the studios out as a teen but never listened to unplugged that much til years later so I guess it sounds fresher in my head.

Maybe it's just because I've studied the music and know how to play all the songs on guitar, just some of those sounds kurt can make raw with an acoustic is just amazing, specifically on About a girl chorus, Dumb, Polly, pennyroyal, and WDUSLN. I haven't been able to find acoustic music that good and I've been hunting for years. That coupled with seemingly flawless vocal, drum, bass and cello in such a surreal environment I think makes it a classic 10/10. Don't get me wrong I love NVM and IN Utero but acoustically this is as good as it gets

Weirdly enough, it seems like grunge bands seemed to be at their best when they played acoustic material.

I think it's because the angsty passion that inherently comes with the genre gets amplified x10 once it goes acoustic.

me too

Any examples of this other than AIC and Nirvana? Did other bands do unplugged sets? I only know of those 2 and Jar of Flies as more acoustic efforts from grunge bands, and I suppose they're helped by coming from the 2 most emotionally raw/ passionate groups of the bunch

Lots of Grunge on Sup Forums lately

Pretty nice

I think it's nice indeed.

Nope, this is

Grunge movement reborn?

Nirvana more raw and passionate over a group like Soundgarden?

I predicted last year that this would be the natural next step after the indie movement that's on currently where everyone rips off Mac Demarco. Not sure why, but yeah I think it'll happen

Absolutely. Soundgarden are a LOT more technically skilled and Nirvana always relied on their passion to make them impressive while Soundgarden could just whip out a great song on the musical side

I can understand that. Do you think that said passion was a group dynamic betwee the members of Nirvana or did it rest mainly on Cobain himself? Also, I find Cornell to be a more raw and energetic vocalist than Cobain. I refer to songs like Superunknown, Spoonman, and his feature on 'Inside' from Sap.

>We all agree that this is the peak of grunge, right?
It's the peak of Alice In Chains anyway.

>Followed closely by the singles from Dirt, and Nirvana's MTV Unplugged album
Definitely not.

Mainly on Kurt. Dave contributed some with that mad fucking drumming but not really. Krist especially had nothing to do with it hahaha he was just along for the ride.

If you want to give examples of raw Cornell, I'd say you have to look to early shit like Beyond The Wheel, Power Trip, All Your Lies and Slaves & Bulldozers. Then maybe some later stuff like Limo Wreck and Overfloater. Wouldn't really consider Superunkown or Spoonman as examples of "rawness".

Either way, most of this gets blown out by Kurt on pretty much every Nirvana release. Cornell is in a different universe as far as actual talent, but Cobain's voice sounds like it's gonna give out on him so many times per album. Do you remember the first time you heard Smells Like Teen Spirit? Legitimately gave me goosebumps

Excuse the long ass post lol

>Do you remember the first time you heard Smells Like Teen Spirit?

uh, do you? cuz I sure as hell don't. that's like remembering the first time your heard wonderwall, or billie jean, or fuckin happy birthday. not sure it's possible

Didn't necessarily mean the specific moment, I just mean the general reaction you had to the song upon becoming first aware of it. I remember the specific moment though, was in my mum's car skipping through songs on her cassette player when I came across it. Pretty sure that was some sort of musical awakening for me

How about Dayton Ohio in 1995?

>Do you think that said passion was a group dynamic betwee the members of Nirvana or did it rest mainly on Cobain himself?
Well I mean yeah, it was a three-piece, not just Kurt Cobain. Dave Grohl certainly wasn't the best of the big four drummers but his style was tailor-made for Nirvana. Krist Novoselic wasn't flashy but he had the attitude.

>Also, I find Cornell to be a more raw and energetic vocalist than Cobain.
Well, he was. Kurt Cobain nearly blew his voice out a bunch but that's more a testament to his limited vocal range. Some may use that to attest that he was "more passionate" or whatever but it really boils down to the fact that had to scream to emote in his own way sometimes. Not to say he wasn't passionate, because of course he was, but I definitely agree that Chris Cornell's chops were unrivaled in that scene, and that's saying a lot.

Pearl Jam did one but it was with all the bombast of an electric set. But then again they jumped on PJ right after their first album before they really had acoustic songs or ones that translate well in an acoustic setting.

Songs from the Superunknown has an acoustic version of Like Suicide that's great, but it's really Chris Cornell solo rather than a full Soundgarden performance.

Melvins have some acoustic stuff stowed away somewhere too.

I saw Chris do a live version of Fell On Black Days at one of his acoustic shows and it's the closest I've come to a "transcendent" experience from music without drug use. I felt like such a faggot immediately after for even feeling like that but it was just incredible. That guy has some fucking pipes.

Also not sure if it's entirely a coincidence that not long after that concert I started to get bicurious. Fucking chris cornell man

I hear ya man, Cornell's got a gift. He's got a special way of utilizing his range and tone to emote so beautifully.

Case in point, somewhere around the one minute mark of Beyond The Wheel. Christ what I would have given to see this live in the 80s

Likewise. That would have been incredible.

They're amazing and insanely underrated but they're not vastly superior to AIC.

Says someone who never gave them a proper listen. Local H is what people THOUGHT Bush was when they first showed up. And then Local H went on to get better and better. Whatever Happened to PJ Soles is a masterpiece... as is Pack Up the Cats.

>acoustic grunge
>good

I wish this meme would die. Dirt and Nevermind are both superior to AIC and Nirvana's unplugged albums. Only children could be tricked by that shit.

>Whatever Happened to PJ Soles is a masterpiece... as is Pack Up the Cats.
Hyping up decade old albums nobody knows about is pretty autistic m8. Get help.

>Dirt and Nevermind are both superior to AIC and Nirvana's unplugged albums.
I agree but none of it is better than JoF, which of course isn't all acoustic but still.

M8 that's like the whole point of this board. R u new here

this is just fucking wrong

Angel Dust
Screamadelica
King Master George

Angel Dust is my favourite album, of all time. I love that album through and through and still do to this day as much as when I first heard it.

Nevermind is still probably the best album to come out of the 1990s. It's fairly close to a perfect album. I can play it to my nephews and they'll dig it, and my dad who hates everything that isn't Duran Duran likes it. If I showed either of those people Malpractice, they would beg me to change it.

That's an argument of accessibility, not quality.

Who says that your assessment of quality is the correct one? Thousands of people (informed people, not just plebs like my dad and nephews) would disagree with you, wouldn't it be reasonable to assume they're right and not you?

>Who says that your assessment of quality is the correct one?
I don't know, who says that? I didn't say it.

>wouldn't it be reasonable to assume they're right and not you?
No, it's a reason to assume more people have heard it and liked it, which is the reason why it's an argument of accessibility.

I'm not saying I'm right and they would be wrong either, but Nevermind isn't a better album just because your dad would listen to that and turn off Faith No More. That's all I'm saying.

I think (and I may be wrong about this) but I think that most people who have listened to and enjoyed both Angel Dust and Nevermind would nominate Nevermind when asked which they would consider out of those two to be the best album of the 90s. Like I said, Angel Dust is my favourite album subjectively but objectively I'd have to give it to Nevermind

Alright now that's fair.

It's always a really pleasant change of pace when two people can come to an agreement on Sup Forums

I only 'discovered' AIC earlier this years, and I wish I had never listened to them. I of course never met Layne but I just feel perpetually sad thinking about his decline from 1994 onwards. I literally don't understand how he could take heroin for that long.

Heroin is fucked up. Always interesting/ scary/ sad reading about how it just totally consumes everyone who starts shooting up. I really hate people who look down on junkies, even though I'd never touch it myself I can definitely understand how easy it is to end up in a situation where it feels like the only answer.

Yeah, the Alison Cheynes story affects me more than others. It's painful how you can literally hear the deterioration with each release up until his death. And then he just quietly wasted away to nothing for years. I still haven't listened to any of the post-reunion stuff. I hear BGWTB is actually a solid hard rock album but it's not enough. I get that it was more Cantrell's brainchild but I still feel like they should've used a different name. Ah well.

>what is loveless