/classical/

Early music edition.

>General Folder #1. Renaissance up to 20th century/modern classical. Also contains a folder of live recordings/recitals by some outstanding performers.
mega.co.nz/#F!mMYGhBgY!Ee_a6DJvLJRGej-9GBqi0A
>General Folder #2. Mostly Romantic up to 20th century/modern, but also includes recordings of music by Bach, Mozart and others.
mega.co.nz/#F!lIh3GRpY!piUs-QdhZACFt2hGtX39Rw
>General Folder #3. Mostly 20th century/modern with other assorted bits and pieces.
mega.co.nz/#F!Y8pXlJ7L!RzSeyGemu6QdvYzlfKs67w
>General Folder #4. Renaissance up to early/mid-20th century. Also contains a folder of Scarlatti sonate and another live recording/recital folder.
mega.co.nz/#F!kMpkFSzL!diCUavpSn9B-pr-MfKnKdA
>General Folder #5. Renaissance up to late 19th century.
mega.co.nz/#F!ekBFiCLD!spgz8Ij5G0SRH2JjXpnjLg
>General Folder #6. Very eclectic mix.
mega.co.nz/#F!O8pj1ZiL!mAfQOneAAMlDlrgkqvzfEg
>Renaissance Folder #1. Mass settings.
mega.co.nz/#F!ygImCRjS!1C9L77tCcZGQRF6UVXa-dA
>Renaissance Folder #2. Motets and madrigals (plus Leiden choirbooks).
mega.co.nz/#F!il5yBShJ!WPT0v8GwCAFdOaTYOLDA1g
>Debussy. There is an accompanying chart, available on request.
mega.co.nz/#F!DdJWUBBK!BeGdGaiAqdLy9SBZjCHjCw
>Opera Folder. Contains recorded video productions of about 10 well-known operas, with a bias towards late Romantic.
mega.co.nz/#F!4EVlnJrB!PRjPFC0vB2UT1vrBHAlHlw

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=VMw0EjLFPXw
youtube.com/watch?v=AV_ZE4zcl3I
youtube.com/watch?v=tIf6SV7b1yk
youtube.com/watch?v=rQXo37cYoZ4
youtube.com/watch?v=WgGTdZT1dgA&feature=youtu.be
youtube.com/watch?v=AgDMxs4aHZU
youtube.com/watch?v=8PknA-TM0HU
youtube.com/watch?v=dtAteboP-2w
sforzandosalon.wordpress.com/2012/09/25/debussy-the-father-of-jazz/
youtube.com/watch?v=B_MW65XxS7s
youtube.com/watch?v=iziXQikWsjo
u.pomf.is/iiehgf.ogg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Is it possible to appreciate classical music without a knowledge of musical theory?

yes. If you like the sound of music, you are appreciating it. Music theory comes in handy for understanding how pieces are structurally composed (for the most part).
why this question has to be asked every thread is beyond me.

Post God Tier Overtures
youtube.com/watch?v=VMw0EjLFPXw

uuh
where do i start
i like some Modern Classical, big into Feldman and Eastman. Been meaning to listen to Classical. What do i listen to first?

yes. If you like the sound of music, you are appreciating it. Music theory comes in handy for understanding how pieces are structurally composed (for the most part).

Haydn
youtube.com/watch?v=AV_ZE4zcl3I

op here
why this question has to be asked every thread is beyond me

It had to be asked because there are people who don't know much about classical music. I will add though that understanding the structure of a piece can contribute quite a lot to the enjoyment. There are only four or five forms you have to remember, though, and only one is sort of complicated.

>There are only four or five forms you have to remember, though, and only one is sort of complicated.

What are you thinking of?

Sonata, minuet/scherzo(or more generally ternary), rondo, variations, maybe sonata-rondo

You don't really need music theory to understand these, btw. They just deal with how large-scale musical phrases, or themes, are repeated/altered throughout the piece. In a sense, how the piece functions dramatically.

petzold

literally all I do these days is link this picc

go back to your /daily/ hugbox general with the rest of the rym babies and leave this thread to the men.

>What do i listen to first?

It doesn't work like that. For generations people found their own way into classical music. All we can do is making suggestions. Yes, there are the great classical composers, but you don't have to start at one particular point. Listen to what you want to get into it.
These
are good suggestions, but they may not match your taste now. Personally I started with Wagner ouvertures

youtube.com/watch?v=tIf6SV7b1yk

also

does anybody know a good album with Chopin's works? I'm not really into classical music but I really like a lot of Chopin's songs I've heard and I'd like to have them since I don't know what's the good version because it seems it changes depending on which orchestra play them . I don't know, maybe it's a stupid question but I don't know don't judge me please

Just get Arrau's recordings of Chopin's complete piano works

>Chopin

this isn't kindergarten. even a proper faggot would only go as bad as Tchaikovsky, but Chopin? literally Mozart-tier. kys

Listen to Mozart

don't do this.

actually, this is okay. mozart is pleb trash so it's fine to use as a gateway to better music if you're just starting out.

Grab anything by Moravec too.
>Chopin? literally Mozart-tier
This post is b8 but this statement holds some truth.
Chopin is underrated.

*tips fedora*

>Argerich
>Chopin

Listening right now. Oh wow, this is good. Really fun, very beautiful, but kind of powerful. I don't have any music theory or composition knowledge but this is bringing me lots of enjoyment. I think i kind of like how its so fun and easy going. It reminds me of mornings and sun rise. Its definitely not what i would expect Classical to sound like. What other things from this guy should i listen to? Any notable comps or anything?
downloading, thanks
suck my dick choke on my semen
thanks a lot man

>Oh wow, this is good
>Really fun
>very beautiful
>kind of powerful
>this is bringing me lots of enjoyment
>fun and easy going
>mornings and sun rise

ahahahahahahHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

For Haydn get his symphonies, I like Vegh and Szell but there are tons of options.
Same with the string quartets but Quatuor Mosaïques are GOAT and have recorded all of them I think so get their recording,

For Haydn you want to listen to his symphonies, his string quartets and his oratorio The Creation. He has LOTS of symphonies and string quartets, so if you don't want ot listen to all of them in order, you can just jump straight to the late ones with symphonies 82-104 and string quartets 48-68, adn then go back to older ones if you're still interested. He also has lots of other music to listen to like concertos, piano sonatas, piano trios, and a few masses, and they're all worth listening to as well.

That's a perfeclty good description of Haydn.

Argerich is pretty great in Chopin.

desu it's better to say that and essier than to look up every word i say. As i said, not only i don't feel comfortable talking about classical but i lack knowledge. Hell i don't even know how to refer to te string instruments as i don't really know their names.I just said that to give some feedback on the music. Btw it does sound like a sun rise what's up with you
thanks lads. Downloading right now

>great in Chopin

There's no such thing.

nope not possible. If you think you're enjoying classical music and you dont have a masters degree in composition, your mind must be playing tricks on you. Its not physically possible to enjoy classical music in any way without at least 10 years of training.

Not really. Then you end up saying meaningless shit like

Also read Rosen.
The Classical Style, Freedom and the Arts, The Romantic Generation, as far as I can tell everything he wrote is pretty good and you don't need to know much outside of how to read notes.

>more Rosen shilling

Now I remember why I left this place.

Taruskin pls go.

Are there any similar books about baroque and later romantic music?

Taruskin is also worth reading, right?

I like this meme.

youtube.com/watch?v=rQXo37cYoZ4

>Taruskin is also worth reading, right?
Yes if you focus on his writings on the Russian composers (this would fulfill your first request) and polemical articles on the Period Practice Taliban and ignore his writings on later 20th century music.

Not huge on the Symphonie Fantastique, but sometimes a performance of a piece is so good that it convinces you regardless. This is one of them.

The more I listen to Munch the more I like him.

youtube.com/watch?v=WgGTdZT1dgA&feature=youtu.be

Any old meme recordings of early music?

kill yourself

How do you go from this...

you don't

...to this

very carefully

Nice trips

does anyone else think medieval and renaissance secular music is a milliong times more interesting to listen to than masses from those eras

>medieval and renaissance secular music

lol

masses are just boring until the baroque tho

It's a very different aesthetic, at least for secular music before 1500, that is completely independent from the way masses and motets were written. Then all the secular genres in all the languages sort of meld into one, and they start to sound just like sacred music being sped up. It wasn't until the rise of madrigals that you get really interesting secular music again.

>masses are just boring until the baroque tho
u dun it now 'arry potter

Heyo, I've only heard John of Damascus by Tayenev but I found it fucking phenomenal, so my question is where to go next with Tayenev?
Also, fuck girls

Why the fuck is the Organ even an instrument, it sounds absolute fucking shit.

Bach literally wasted his life and potential on this shit instrument.

It's such a garbage instrument. It's unbelievable how every piece can sounds so fucking abhorrent on the organ. The organ has absolutely no value as an instrument and is extremely unpleasant to the novice and experienced ear.

I usually meet a lot of people that are into classical music because I go to a lot of concerts, musicals and even the Church but I have never met a person that has said that they actually genuinely enjoy the organ as an instrument.

When you hear organ pieces played on strings, the piano or by an orchestra you actually hear the beauty of it but then you go back to listen to the original organ version and all you can hear is the emotionless, beep boop shit sounds that the organ is capable of producing.

(You)

"heh if I say that he's trolling, everything that he has stated is false"

(You)

stay pleb youtube.com/watch?v=AgDMxs4aHZU

>it sounds absolute fucking shit.
only to you user. To everyone else it sounds amazing.

You should try seeing one in the flesh, its quite an experience.

I kind of agree with that user but they are still really cool-looking.

I have listened to quite a lot of them, actually. They are often played in big churches and I understand the meaning and value of organs in religion and the church but it still sounds pretty fucking shit to me.

You understand how shit organs sound once you hear strings or an orchestra play the same pieces.

youtube.com/watch?v=8PknA-TM0HU

youtube.com/watch?v=dtAteboP-2w

bmp

Literally a Mengelberg clone

But that's actually a good thing. Great arrangement, too.

RAVEL'S MOTHER GOOSE SUITE MOTHER-CUNT

Debussy is the only classical musician relevant to modern music

prove me wrong

Modern music has been influenced by so many other composers even before the romantic era.

Debussy isn't a "classical musician." There, proven wrong.

bump

Schoenberg exists

Obviously user was just talking about popular music, e.g. rock, rap, etc, as opposed to real music, IE classical music/music in the Western art/concert music tradition.

Debussy is even less relevant to popular modern than classical modern, so still doesn't work.

True,b ut he's somewhat relevant for his influence on jazz, which in turn played a large role in the development of rock, etc.

what's debussy influence in jazz? what did he do?
t. non jazz man

Here's a good explanation:
sforzandosalon.wordpress.com/2012/09/25/debussy-the-father-of-jazz/

>Implying

Is this the best modern classical piece there is?

youtube.com/watch?v=B_MW65XxS7s

Most people seem to think so.
>where do i start
Sorry bro, you can't just start with classical. Every piece is just another part of the musical conversation. You have to start at the beginning to understand any of the western—canon.

You're not a real patrish unless you started with ancient Greek lyres.

Where could I find said secular medieval and renaissance music? I've only been able to find mass or otherwise religious music.

Most composers who composed masses also composed short secular songs... Look up motets, chansons, and madrigals

Aren't motets religious though?

Not necessarily. There's a several-hundred year long tradition of secular motets

The vast majority of those which have passed down to us are either liturgical or exegetical and therefore sacred though.

At first I thought this was just a ripoff of The Rite of Spring but then the electric guitar came in and I LOL'd.

Are we just posting our favourite Renaissance chanson now?
youtube.com/watch?v=iziXQikWsjo

This video is not available.
Sorry about that.

-_-

>being a burger
u.pomf.is/iiehgf.ogg

Hello bog posters

lmao, you might as well use these as toilet paper

Thank you!

fuck off

fuck off

mozart is underrated lol