Are there any God-tier jazz critics...

Are there any God-tier jazz critics? I know everybody here drones Scaruffi's jazz taste but honestly the shit he writes about jazz is laughable.

bump

me

post rym or website

I was kidding
I have shit-tier taste in jazz and don't review. Sorry I couldn't help you lad

Buy me records and I'll review them for you.

Stanley Crouch.

He won't coddle your rockist tendencies though so beware.

yeah
scaruffi has good taste in jazz but he is not a jazz critic by any means
he writes nothing of substance about it

Scott Yanow

watch Ken Burns's Jazz docu series he has interviews with several jazz critics

btw most if not all of what that guy writes is laughable he's a bigger cunt than half the people on this website

Gary motherfuckin Giddins motherfucker

why would you like to read jazz critics they're all faggots

just listen to the albums if you like trane check out dakar if you haven't already

only faggots read critics

what makes Scaruffi's criticism bad?

I mean... Have you read any of the stuff he's written about jazz? It's pretty obvious that he hasn't listened to a lot of the music he talks about and his "criticisms" are mostly just re-wordings of info from other sources.

And then there's the fact that he's a next-level rockist who values things like "album concept" "textures" and the societal impact of music more than things like musical substance and true innovation. I guess if your musical values align with his then he'd be a good critic for you but if that's the case you should really examine your values and probably read some about jazz from other sources.

What? Scaruffi values innovation more than everything

And yet he ignores a lot of true innovators and celebrates the people who popularized the original innovative ideas.

Anyway valuing innovation above anything else is just as stupid. Innovation without substance is worthless.

ralph j gleason

>And yet he ignores a lot of true innovators
mind giving me some examples?
also, is this only about jazz or are you saying this for his rock criticism as well?

Crouch has some ok writings about early jazz but his opinions on basically anything after the 1960 are laughable

Charlie Parker
Lennie Tristano
Chico Hamilton
Jimmy Giuffre
Gil Evans
Stan Kenton
David Murray

Yes, he acknowledges these artists somewhat but more as an afterthought rather than highlighting their innovations