/prod/ music production generally

Talk about music production, composition, songwriting and audio engineering.

Upload WIPs on clyp.it/

GIVE feedback and RECEIVE feedback.

>ATTENTION!
DO NOT post Soundcloud, YouTube or any other links where you are not anonymous (unless somebody asks you for it). That is considered self promotion and will usually result in a bad feedback.

>LEARNING RESOURCES

(Obligatory mixing course)
>The Art of Mixing by David Gibson
youtube.com/watch?v=TEjOdqZFvhY

(Obligatory synthesis course + additional related videos)
>Intro to Synthesis by New York School of Synthesis
youtube.com/watch?v=atvtBE6t48M&list=RDatvtBE6t48M#t=1764

YouTube channels that you should subscribe to:

>Point Blank Music School
youtube.com/channel/UCIWNozFjO8yVdJFsGKVmPgg

>Pensado's Place
youtube.com/user/PensadosPlace

>SeamlessR (in-depth music production and sound design tutorials, based on FL Studio)
youtube.com/user/SeamlessR

>BusyWorksBeats (same as above, a lot of good new content coming)
youtube.com/user/busyworksbeats

>ADSR Music Production Tutorials
youtube.com/channel/UCf5UKh_cj2_5pUomhyswWYQ

>Justin Omoi
youtube.com/channel/UCMnmXvv9JHJPsrrob-gEn5A

>WarBeats
youtube.com/user/nfxbeats/videos

>Samori Coles (not many videos, but a few good ones on compression and EQ)
youtube.com/user/homestudiotutor/videos

>Modern Mixing
youtube.com/user/ModernMixing/videos

>Image Line Tutorials (for FL Studio users)
youtube.com/user/imageline/playlists

>READ THIS BEFORE ASKING WHERE TO BEGIN

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/xxlrd0af
clyp.it/j1ric4aj
clyp.it/whwe3std
clyp.it/p30cbna1
clyp.it/rihvvrpz
youtube.com/watch?v=BKRep4RH9io
clyp.it/uugqyph0
clyp.it/uonrmxaw
clyp.it/y4naujcc
clyp.it/fawtydea
clyp.it/hkczzzaq
clyp.it/tt04xsv2
clyp.it/5dmxne3q
clyp.it/t2rx1oor
clyp.it/1j35jurz
clyp.it/lhp4mane
clyp.it/xeizy5aa
clyp.it/hvl4f4qe
clyp.it/user/nzjnhntz
clyp.it/v0m3yskk
clyp.it/mvcrhhoy
clyp.it/rmui4uwk
clyp.it/hp1y3drf
clyp.it/gnqy2x2b
clyp.it/0b3qweb3
clyp.it/tsmocb53
clyp.it/0t0svnci
youtube.com/watch?v=leb9rRPOxME
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

clyp.it/xxlrd0af

roast me

fuck wrong link
clyp.it/j1ric4aj

nice sample finds, but thats about it. they don't really go together well, kind of random. plus there is literally no rhythm, it's all perc.

this one is better on the rhythm front, but it's not very concise and breaks up too much

Printing vs bouncing offline

what do you prefer

kinda atonal breaks
clyp.it/whwe3std

offline everywhere except protools
the amount of glitches I get with some plugins like drumagog or soundtoys is ridiculous so I always print sections multiple times and then comp around the fuckups and consolidate a file
yeah, that's protools hd 12.5 in 2016

that sounds fucked up but I've heard this multiple times now regarding pro tools
has it been like that for long?

I use this combination of plugins since protools 10 and don't know it any different
aax is trash

How does this wip sound? Does it have decent production quality? Is it interesting to listen to?
clyp.it/p30cbna1
>edm, dance

clyp.it/rihvvrpz
>previous version that I'm trying to improve

How do I program crystal clear synths like this? Obviously reverb is crucial but what softsynth can accomplish something like this? perhaps strenching the sample is key here?
youtube.com/watch?v=BKRep4RH9io

dope as fuck! what's your samples and how'd you get that bass so tight??

pretty cool, but i feel like you need to shift / change up the tones a bit more. got kind of stale at the end

sounds like an omnisphere preset

>omnisphere
ah i forgot this existed, thank you

- Sample a bunch of tonally interesting things and superslow them with the (free) paulstretch vst

- import the processed samples into a sampler like kontakt

- put a lowpass filter sweeped by a slow LFO before/after (whatever sounds best) a delay with feedback and some plate reverb too

>paulstretch vst

*oops not a vst its a standalone program

the production sounds alright but it's really bland, there's not a lot going on

how do you guys structure songs in your DAW? Do you do it by instrument, voice, function?

also post screenshots

bump

why do you produce music?

cuz it's fun and i like music

because I don't have anything else going for me in life

hi, what do you guys think of this? clyp.it/uugqyph0

am i going the right direction with it near the end or that too much a departure from the rest

Aight guys so I've just got into making sample based hip hop music and I'm having problems with getting clarity in my mix. In most of my tunes I sample some library synth music and manipulate, chop up, stock standard techniques, and most significantly slow them because I'm sorta going for a cloudy memphis type vibe. For example. on the song I'm working on now I chopped up a sample MPC style into Ableton's drum rack, applied choke groups etc and then transposed every sample by -2 so I could slow it down to fit the tempo I wanted. Whenever I do this though my sound naturally gets quite muddy. Any good EQ tips on getting at least a more pleasant sound out of it? Like it sounds lo fi and idk a lot of what I'm inspired by is kinda lo fi in that sense but id prefer more clarity in my mixes.

the last few seconds from 1:10 onward don't really fit imo but the part right before that is maximum comfy

try boosting the highs after you pitch stuff down

How do I into trap drums? Gross beat?

clyp.it/uonrmxaw
Thoughts?

clyp.it/y4naujcc

if u were listening to this, where wud u want the song to go after the 2:05 mark

this ones for all my trapniggaz

clyp.it/fawtydea

not sure if this is a joke or not
it sounds so goofy

Its a joke I did the drum line and was just fucking around with some pads i never use.

>tfw finally switching from my shitty yamaha 4 track to digital

How shit is it? It's my second song ever. I should really learn a bit more about effects and mixing now. And music theory, really.

clyp.it/hkczzzaq
I find it very pleasing user. Unfortunately I don't think I have the competence required to guide anyone here.

clyp.it/tt04xsv2
>???

Anybody here getting the Maschine Jam?

clyp.it/5dmxne3q
Any advice?
>inb4 stop making music, kys etc

You're lost at sea, you lose consciousness trying to hold yourself over water
You come to, you're barely alive and find yourself in a boat - which you have no idea how you ended up in

clyp.it/t2rx1oor

clyp.it/1j35jurz

Stock Pro Tools percussion and classical guitar samples. Am I real producer now?

is it not just a push with ribbons instead of knobs and no screen?

i was going through my project folders and found this thing i made in may. I have no memory of even making this. do you guys think this is worth continuing?

clyp.it/lhp4mane

clyp.it/xeizy5aa

new to producing and ableton
is this track pretty entertain? am i doing it right?

Sounds like a shitty remake of Inanimate Sensation by Death Grips

i've been working on this the past two days nonstop and i finally hit a wall.

i want to get rid of the synth in the beginning and keep it for the part where the drums go away, but idk.

clyp.it/hvl4f4qe

i'm sure it's mixed horribly too.

I just want to complete a track :

I want to have left some part of myself in history.

Made a clyp account, here's a few things I've made recently

clyp.it/user/nzjnhntz

the one called pale skies is the most recent. All made in Reason. Criticisms or questions very welcome :)

This is fantastic too. Everything sounds good to my ears

I don't know, I just feel like I have to. Even if the only people who care about the things I make are just randoms on the internet. I really like it when I make something that others enjoy.

some improvs

clyp.it/v0m3yskk

clyp.it/mvcrhhoy

clyp.it/rmui4uwk
what do

How do I self-twach myself to be a sound engineer?
What are some essential equipment for a home studio?

lo fi banger w hella sample chops boiii clyp.it/hp1y3drf

am i joji yet?

clyp.it/gnqy2x2b

*teach
not twach

i am the thread killer.

everytime i post i kill the thread.

instinct

update with some progression
clyp.it/0b3qweb3

tell me im great

>clyp.it/y4naujcc
I would bring the drums back in like it initally came in the first time. Maybe add some bass. Sounds great. and then the breakdown should happen after the bass portion. Just my opinion. Sounds great.

Used MS-20 Mini for $294.
I know it's a good deal, but please tell me to do it anyway.

I really fucking want to start making electronic music. I have no idea where to start. Should I just start reading/watching everything in the OP post?

It'd a good start.
Try to figure out what kind of music you want to do.
Any artists you really like and maybe want to emulate or take inspiration from?
Things like that.

any good vst's for distorted guitars?

I would get hold of Reason, look at the thor section as an example of a polysynth, look at the redrum section for an idea about drum machines and read the NN-XT part of the manual for a good example of how most samplers work.

Because reason uses cabling and its based off classic gear it will give you a really good idea of how the hardware world works with CVs and stuff. It will also just give you a good all round understanding of typical electronic music tools

god gave me a GIFT

Please respond.
Does anyone here have the synth?

just ditched my old project name with like 3 lps released, making a new thing and putting up a small label, wish me luck /prod/

dont do it and send me link to the auction bby

>what do
Keep playing, these are good.

>clyp.it/gnqy2x2b
Chilled as fuck, like this.

It's a regional auction and I doubt you live in my country.

I like the drums but don't like that synth sound

clyp.it/tsmocb53

How am I doing on this so far?

This is pretty cool man, The only thing I would do is maybe change the drumr hythm up a little bit. Otherwise all your sounds were mixed well.

I actually like this a lot. I would agree with the other user Im not a big fan of the synth you have.

awesome sounds going on here boss.

very cool man. Im trying to get that lofi feel myself.
everything is just so damn quiet I can barely tell whats going on.

Newest WIP. Trying to get the hang of lofi style so ive been messing around with Izotope Vinyl VST. Did a quick mix and eqed. Be savage guys.
clyp.it/0t0svnci

>This is pretty cool man, The only thing I would do is maybe change the drumr hythm up a little bit. Otherwise all your sounds were mixed well.
Cool, thanks for the feedback man.
>clyp.it/0t0svnci
I don't know the VST you're using, but it sounds like if there's a "glitch"(?) setting it might be set a little high.

do it, but test all knobs and keys before you buy it, build quality is a shit

Yes, I have it and it is very good for its price.

I have much more expensive synths but I use the MS-20 both as a synth and an ESP effect more than the other hardware because it's so useful and good sounding. It's worth it for the filters alone.

this might be the best thing I've heard on prod yet, granted I haven't been here long

Can't really test it before buying it because it's far away from where I live, but I have heard they the knobs a rent the best.
Don't think that's an issue though, with the price being so low and the Synth being barely used.
Neat. Thanks for replying.
I think I'll also get an SQ-1 or something, or the Moog Mother 32 + an English Tear module or a Disting Module and start on my eurorack setup.

>I have heard they the knobs a rent the best.
Find out for sure first.

>tfw ordered some knobs from a chinky supplier two weeks ago and still got forever to wait for them to show up.
fully gay.

I'll ask the seller and tell him to send me some more pics as well.

>Don't think that's an issue though, with the price being so low and the Synth being barely used.
just ask the seller to confirm that everything works and make pictures while unpacking in case something broke because of bad packaging

it's great, you will have a lot of fun with it

Yep, I will!
Looking forward to owning an analog synth.
I'm certain it'll be a slippery slope down the modular path.

how come you ditched it tho

>I'm certain it'll be a slippery slope down the modular path.
It was for me. First i bought one extra LFO to use with the MS20, now i am at four rows…

dont like the name anymore

There's a couple of models that I want, so I think I'll go modular before the year is over.
Are you using English Tear or Disting to connect the CV and gate from the M-20 to the eurorack and vice versa?
I'd love to use the MS-20 Mini to change the key for a sequencer while it's playing (that most likely will end up being the Moog Mother 32).

Is the buildup in this clip alright?
Does it fit with the rest?
puu dot sh/r5hRx/78efd9a090.ogg

tfw no modular synth waifu

youtube.com/watch?v=leb9rRPOxME

Gave my wife a Microbrute and she's been having a blast with it.

I use a Beatstep Pro now, it can be set up to be used with the MS20

hehhehe yeah I'm sure your wife had fun with your "micro brute" alright

why are 90% of all modular users tone deaf?

Hmm, that's a bit too steep just for a sequencer.

it has three channels, especially the channel with gates is very nice to use with modular. It's not very KVLT though.

Yeah...
The Korg SQ-1 seems like a nice sequencer until I dive into modular

It's my job.

yes, it's great! Don't buy the Doepfer one though, it's much too expensive

Arturia Keystep is nice if you want to actually play your modular.

Good to know.
Thanks for the advices.

just sell your kidney and get an Octatrack

Is there anything wrong with pumping the SubBass/Bass by about 3 to 4 db on Apo Eq for my Yamaha HS7 monitors? Nothing's clipping and as long as I'm fine with the sound and get used to it I should be able to make my mixing without a subwoofer right?