Does Sup Forums not like rap anymore?

There aren't ever any /hhg/ threads anymore, usually any hip hop threads die within 30 minutes, wtf happened?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=fDSapcbf3_I
youtube.com/watch?v=niflK9JqgbY
youtube.com/watch?v=5WL672bjJgM
youtube.com/watch?v=GeEVla7PVH8
datpiff.com/mixtapes-detail-2015.php?id=803315
youtube.com/watch?v=fey5MoTEf4Q
youtube.com/watch?v=IW_y31bRW3M
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I think rap is just moving into territory that the average Sup Forumstant doesn't relate to anymore.

From 2010 - 2014 there was a renaissance/revival of rap that focused on complex lyricism and concept (album) development, which fits in with the appeal of a lot of other music discussed on this board.

Now, the rap industry is slightly more single-oriented, and there's more of an emphasis on just having fun and not taking it seriously.

These things come in cycles and waves, though, so I'm sure mainstream rap will return to an arena that Sup Forums is more comfortable with eventually.

I really love that new 21 savage & metro tape tho. It sounds like if Coil became black, young gangster rap artists.

shit's played out

The discussion moved to Reddit. Seriously.

And rap is kinda getting stale. There isn't a ton of revolutionary stuff coming out.

Kendrick, Isaiah Rashad, Ka, Aesop, Death Grips, Elucid, Open Mike Eagle, Elzhi, and Big Pooh all just dropped this year...so there's plenty of good lyrical rap albums to be discussed and dissected.

Reddit was good in like 2010-2012 before r/hhh hit over 100 thousand. Now it is straight awful.
>stale
what rock albums do you think are revolutionary have come out this year?

But none of those artists are fresh. Most of those are artists that got established in the time period i mentioned. It was a lot more exciting for lyrical rap when you had one amazing artist after the other popping in with a great album, and being featured on each other's shit.

>if they don't like hip hop they must prefer rock
nah pause b
both are shit right now. whats poppin is the experimental electronic scene
I've outgrown the lyrical rap shit. Rather just read a book or listen to some folk music.

When do you think this magical period was? Kendrick just hit his stride in the last 4 years. That's pretty recent. Isaiah Rashad is new. Death Grips are within 5 years. Open Mike Eagle is 3 years, Elucid is within 3 years. Ka just started doing something no one else is doing within the last 2 years.

We aren't talking about what you, user, prefer. The question is why doesn't mu talk about hip hop anymore? So if the answer is that no one is experimenting enough, then why do rock albums that don't experiment get talked about all the time?

Hip hop is so passé. Why can't worthwhile black culture produces withstand the test of time?

because Sup Forums is a board of progression(not really) hip hop wasn't even like couple years back. now Sup Forums is back sick of it

>using the word passé.

What are blues and jazz?

Boomercore. Nobody born this century sincerely enjoys either. Obsessive RYM posturing.

You're missing the point. Both popular and experimental music appropriate jazz and blues all the time. So obviously it stands the test of time because we keep using it.

I wish Bikutsi and African dance music would be more accepted internationally

youtube.com/watch?v=fDSapcbf3_I

What are you, Rolling Stone? Experimentation for the sake of having done so isn't defined with regards to other external coordinates. "avant garde" is a catch all for a reason.

youtube.com/watch?v=niflK9JqgbY

who is the most technically talented rapper of the 2000s and why is it MF Doom?

What even is your argument? That blues and jazz are dead because no one precisely plays EXACTLY within that genre anymore?

First, you're wrong on that - there are thriving jazz communities and artists right now.

Second, what a fucking retarded argument to put forward. No one is discounting experimental music because it borrows from those genres.

maybe it's the same reason why you are wrong?

>First, you're wrong on that - there are thriving jazz communities and artists right now.
Williamsburg is a neighborhood in Brooklyn.

definitely not doom

I think it's because mu has never really liked rap. Sure it has it's moments like with Aesop or Death Grips or whatever.

mu has always been about shutting down what is popular and living in it's own hole.I mean Death Grips is weird in it's own right, but being blatantly hailed as the Next Big Thing is just mu. It will come in waves and peaks but mu has never been about rap.

I really liked Aesop's latest album. I think Lil Dicky is funny if pandering. Royce 5'9" Don't Trust the Shooter was tight. Your Old Droog was good too.

>shutting down what is popular and living in it's own hole

I think this right here is the answer and is the issue with hip hop discussion here. Sup Forums hip hop taste has turned into this weird monster that hates anything lyrical - see the kendrick cuck meme, calling people back packers, etc - and then touts young thug and future and lil yachty, so none of the lyrical people wanted to post in the hhg anymore because they'd just get shitposted into oblivion by people that only like popular rap.

but then Sup Forums also hates popular things and wants to be contrarian so it just killed itself by becoming what it hated. damn mu, why are we so fucking dumb?

I'm already reminiscing about the 2014-2015 Hot Nigga Trap Renaissance.

Speak for yourself, I'm super fucking smart

Little Wayne is the biggest meme ever, you have to be a special kind of retard to like him unironically.

yes you are sweetie, and don't ever let anybody tell you different

We grew up.

REAL G'S MOVE IN SILENCE LIKE LASAGNA

how can you not like this man

>Little Wayne

Spoken by someone who has never listened to him.

His song with Ariana Grande made me dislike him way too much. Not that I was a fan of his work before that.

I literally asked myself if he could ever get worse than that.

I call him "Little Wayne" because he's a big meme.

In order to understand why Weezy is beloved, you have to go back to Carter 2, his mixtapes, and Carter 3. Anything after that is downhill.

not now dad

Just watch this to the end and tell me the cps rate.

youtube.com/watch?v=5WL672bjJgM

idk what cps is but i don't even know if i can get to weezy's part...

youtube.com/watch?v=GeEVla7PVH8

just listen. his whole mixtape game was that it was supposed to be mostly off the dome with hilarious puns and references.

rap is always on the favorites fron people on here, it still very popular

the question is that most of fan attraction happens to be based on the hype of the moment, its like the sneaker industry, plus the streaming influences it

mixtape culture, 'real hip hop' cunts and pop rap fans are only growing

Understandable. It's sad to see him fall so low.

yes, yes it is.

yeah that is the weird part that i always see hip hop on AOTY charts but there's no discussion about it on here anymore.

Damn this nigga ugly

His only problem is that he has no chin.
Then again, who gives a fuck.

Last time I was current Denzel Curry new joint was the best. That was early spring, have things changed?

The people forcing themselves to like rap realized its shit. It gets shittier with every listen.

Now I'm banging Imperial again.

Still great.

Beats anything Young Thug ever did.

Why is gay rap getting the nod, but Lil' B still at bay?

ScHoolboy Q - Blank Face LP
Isaiah Rashad - The Sun's Tirade

Meant to repond to with

In 15 years lil Wayne will be regarded as the best rapper ever, which is correct

He's popular for being the first completely garbage rapper to get big. He never was good all his songs are trash and 10 rappers have admitted to ghost writing for him

>He never was good
>the carter 3
ok, retard

>big head jimmy neutron, fuck a bitch on a futon

What did he mean by this?

name the ten rappers and cite your sources

Why does nobody like listen to real hip-hop? Just lil wayne and drake. This is the reason that people are afraid to speak up about real rap. Because if they do people will just make fun of them. Well riddle me this, if you don't appreciate real hip-hop? Then who do you think is going to make illmatic 2? Nas? He's already done that once. So look, just give real music a chance.

hip hop on my dick
call it stan mick

name some "real" hiphop then

Boredom.

Rap is a genre overflowing with talent but severely lacking in genius.

yo im a little spatula
flipping burgers drinking the blood like im blacula
what's a lil pimp to a bachelor

You can't spell Crap without Rap, this is an indisputable fact.

Tupac, Biggie Smalls, The Ellen DeGeneres, mech-mackavelli, squirtle, the elbows, thoroughly opened mic, hard as fuck killer whale squad.

oh shut up you bitch

the real hip hop argument is probably one of the stupidest things ever. you know what would happen if someone made illmatic 2? no one would fucking listen to it because it'd be outdated garbage. there's good artists in every sub genre of hip hop from all over the world. if you say hip hop is dead, you clearly only want to listen to ancient ass artists for the sake of being able to claim that you know "real hip hop"

>Lollipop
>a milli
>good

Go to fucking bed and think about this in the morning.

A Milli is a great song

What makes it bad?

There's no reason to call Lil Wayne bad.

It's repetitive shit, what makes it good?

who dat?

i wanna fuck you bad

i wanna fuck you hard on the sink

Does Sup Forums not like emo anymore?

There aren't ever any /emoe/ threads anymore, usually any emo threads die within 30 minutes (that's 3h30min in emo years), wtf happened?

It's a very boring genre with a few exceptions.

Good

Rap has become pop. Kanye's production took beats to pop territory and Wayne moved lyrics away from social issues to stream-of-conscious worldplay. We went from Chuck D "don't freestyle much, but i write em like such" to Wayne who never writes anything down. Look at Thugger. His lyrics are completely useless. He uses his voice as an instrument, using words to find a sound not a meaning. Rapping is fusing with singing and becoming the new pop. Sure we have some socially-consious rappers with mainstream appeal like Kendrick, but outside of that and alternative rap like Aesop Rock and Death Grips, its become a sing-song Fetty Wap singalong.

>Reddit was good in like 2010-2012
No it wasn't, I say that as someone that was there to witness it

He's so good he defines anyone explaining what's supposed to be good about him

Pick the new latest thing to complain about.
Rap has been terrible since its inception and the exceptions continue to be few and far between.

Ugh stop derailing this thread we get it you're a misunderstood jazz fag, go soak your head pussy.

Im not complaining. I love rap. I'm just saying this is the direction its taking. But, ill agree with you that most rap is shit. The exceptions redeem the entire genre though.

I can't believe people here think wayne is bad. You are actually falling for the 9gag meme perpetuated by 12 year olds and have zero critical thinking skills whatsoever.

I'm not going to waste my time finding out. What I've heard from him in my experience is trash, so no thanks.

try this out

datpiff.com/mixtapes-detail-2015.php?id=803315

just hang yourself

Lil dicky is a racist asshole

Am I gay for liking this noname mixtape a lot?

>Then who do you think is going to make illmatic 2?

It's called Good Kid, M.A.A.D City by Kendrick Lamar

You can't spell crock without rock

who even mentioned rock faggot, it's true rap is staler every single loser thins they're "saving the rap game" but its the same uninspired shit we've been shoveled forever.

face it, thanks to technology any goober thinks theyre a potential rapper/producer just like every kid who takes up guitar in high school is gonna be the next hendrix

I'm looking forward to Common's new album and Nas's new album

Rap started as party music years before anything remotely "socially conscious"
Young Thug's lyrics are less useless than the Fu-Schnickens or Das EFX, who made music in the early '90s
Rappers have been singing for a very long time
etc.

But there was a balance. Everything was on equal footing. The corporitization of rap has skyrocketed the party side of it, and this caused a massive tipping of the scales in terms of not only how hip hop and rap is viewed in the mainstream, but also caused a massive shift in the culture and how it's affected the communities it's a part of (blacks).

>Why can't worthwhile black culture produces withstand the test of time?

Blues, Jazz, Rock n' Roll, and Soul/Funk.

Ma boi, in love with Suns tirade

Probably because people got tired of listening to rappers talk about how much money they have, weed they smoke, and how racist white people are 24/7

this dude must be like 100 years old

Things aren't significantly different now. There used to be "conscious" rappers like Chuck D coexisting with gangsta rappers like NWA, now "conscious" rappers like Kendrick coexist with trap and drill rappers.

Rap's been "corporate" for decades. Catchy, fun music sells well. Run DMC and Future rise to the top and make big money for record companies, weirdo conspiracy theorists who can't write hooks languish in obscurity.

Rap doesn't cause crime. Poverty causes crime. Even if there is some slight influence on ppl's behaviour by the shit they listen to, there were plenty of rappers talking about violence and coke in the late '90s, just when crime started steeply declining in the US.

>tfw the /hhg/ glory days are over
>tfw growing up
>tfw I don't get high anymore

youtube.com/watch?v=fey5MoTEf4Q

maybe because everyone grew up lel

There haven't been any actually revolutionary rock or hip hop albums in at least 20 years now, real experimentation moved to metal and electronic music

this is prolly one of the most accurate posts about hip hop ive seen on Sup Forums

>moved lyrics away from social issues

l o l

when wayne blew up in the early 2000s the top rappers were like...50 cent, cam'ron/dipset, jay-z, eminem

wayne moved lyrics away from boring NY revivalism (not trashtalking the rappers i mentioned earlier, cam in particular was wildly influential to wayne) to an actually interesting art form

Young Thug ruined rap for me.

Everything else sounds stale in comparison except maybe Migos and Yung Lean. Death Grips doesn't really count.

So much rap is uninteresting and derivative. I think people are rightly getting bored with it.

beatdown is the unironical height of rap and not actual rap
youtube.com/watch?v=IW_y31bRW3M

lol, I expected shitty nu-metal, but this guy spits total fire