Why is this the best Floyd album, Sup Forums? also Pink Floyd thread

Why is this the best Floyd album, Sup Forums? also Pink Floyd thread.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/p3FL0Tezc6A
youtube.com/watch?v=MMdPSE5cuNw
youtube.com/watch?v=0Ilb_57xUC4
youtube.com/watch?v=HWhOd0ENVS8
youtube.com/watch?v=SnI6WhHg5Iw
youtu.be/MJUuDoRZpyU
youtube.com/watch?v=fxrYVFFhryg
youtube.com/watch?v=-s5Rce6tkGk
youtube.com/watch?v=kfYa1TcLYpU
youtube.com/watch?v=T_CATnUOngA
strawpoll.me/11200738/
rateyourmusic.com/artist/thinking_fellers_union_local_282
youtube.com/watch?v=YNd_Gc3V7u4
youtube.com/watch?v=tDErKDh59zU
youtube.com/watch?v=Czp3wGZ9XUM
youtube.com/watch?v=sy3kQZTwwr0
youtube.com/watch?v=CM3F3g_pVGc
youtube.com/watch?v=PkwGzl1I42g
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

do you just like causing shitstorms, user?

a little, yeah. But it is my favorite Floyd album.

I would say this is the band's eventual collective conclusion before they lost all ability to work together. Everyone is firing on all cylinders on the record. It's got some of Gilmour's most biting riffs and aggressive tones, Roger's most vicious and angry lyrics, and Rick and Nick are both bringing their game up to fill in the atmosphere behind the other two.

Honestly, it's a shame that everything happened the way it did. I'd like to live in a universe where Pink Floyd didn't start to break up after this album. I've listened to a good portion of the bootlegs from the In the Flesh Tour (This album's supporting tour) and it's a real shame because you can hear them begin to get angrier, and more fed up, with the whole tour.

Pic related: Roger Waters on stage during the In The Flesh Tour, 1977.

To be honest , I've always sorta liked saucerful. I'm a sucker for effects pedals

That album is stacked with good songs. If I had to say one song is 'bad' it's the title track, and that is only because the band did it so much better live, and the studio version just pales so much in comparison.

tied with division bell for best desu

I think they all work together on all of their really long tracks... except for on Animals, which is almost 100% composed of Roger and David creatively. Animals I think has some of the strongest lyrics, but struggles sonically. Before, they had mostly played beautiful melodies. I personally think their golden age ended with Wish You Were Here, when the internal struggles started becoming prevalent. The pressure to make another Dark Side kind of tore them apart, trying their best to stay relevant after their most acclaimed album.

Rick and Nick are probably least prevalent on this album than any of their previous works. I think they're most prevalent on Saucerful of Secrets, , Ummagumma, Meddle, Dark Side, The Endless River, and especially Atom Heart Mother.

Also, they seemed to attempt to go as full prog as possible, trying to move as far away from their psychedelic label as they could. Not a good idea imo.

>it's a "Rick doesn't sing" album

You can lick on my balls.
You all can eat my taint.
Best fucking album. Most jam-packed with range and damn fucking good lyrics. Also the story itself rapes.

(You)

That's why I like Animals. They still sound like the same band who made wywh but now they hate each other. The vibe is dark and aggressive, keyboards are greatly reduced, and you can tell every more included was the product of an argument.

There's still some neat effects and vibes, and it still sprawls unlike a lot of the Wall and Dogs is one of their best songs.

no Wish You Were Here best album

I don't think anybody really "hated" each other except for maybe Rick and Roger. I think the internal struggles were blown way out of proportion by the media.

Okay guys I changed my mind, the best Floyd album is Dark Side of the Moon. We can stop arguing now.

I'm with you OP. Animals is one of the few albums I would give 10/10 to. Coldest trip put to music. Guitar solos longer than should be legally allowed. Sheep is probably the angriest Pink Floyd ever sounded. All perfectly bookended by Pigs on the Wing I & II.

And thanks mods for ungrounding me!

I'd say their golden age ended with Dark Side of the Moon and 1974. They achieved superstardom and everything that came with it. With it, they lost the avant-garde psychedelic experimental edge that had really made their work stand out amongst the other prog rock acts. I do agree that it's probably closer to 'David and Roger work amazing together' album than a team effort, but I'd argue it hadn't been a team effort since Dark Side.

Rick's best playing is on Piper, to be honest. He really rocks the Farfisa.

(same guy, btw)

Wow, a real thread on Sup Forums, weird

the reasons why it isn't have been enumerated above. Either a vote for Meddle or Obscured by Clouds has yet to be cast. I do believe those to some of the bands' top tier albums, and definitely above the lowly caste of Animals. That album marked a shift in the band which eventually grew to shit.

Reminder that Wish You Were here is overrated as hell.

Yes, I know.. "Seamus"

But the rest of the songs, particularly "Echoes", more than makes up for it.

Roger and David had an extremely bitter falling out. Roger referred to David, Nick and Rick as 'the muffins' following their lawsuit in the mid-80s. David called Roger a dog, and basically passively insulted the shit out of the guy every time the cameras were rolling. When David came to Roger and said they were going ahead with a new Floyd album, Roger said 'you'll never fucking do it. you haven't got the balls.' and I guess he did.

Reminder that Obscured By Clouds is underrated as hell.

I mean it's nothing special compared to their peak but it's an excellent road trip album, try rocking it in the car next time you need to drive for more than 40 minutes.

Can we agree all Floyd is good except for Momentary Lapse and Final Cut?

Would've been a far more solid album if Biding My Time was in its place, or the Embryo.

>Obscured by Clouds
It has it's moments (Free Four) but seriously? You really think that's one of their best?

Without Rick, there will never be a Pink Floyd again.

Endless River was a disrespectful cash grab & horridly boring and trite.

Glad Roger didn't participate in it, keeps him from getting stained by it.

I agree wholeheartedly

Def underrated

I can agree to this, but add Division Bell & Endless River in there. Division Bell has maybe one good song, and Endless River is a waste of all sorts of things.

>Momentary Lapse
Agreed
>The Final Cut
Gotta disagree with you. This is easily their most emotional work. Roger basically pours his soul out to you in 40-odd minutes. It's an excellent piece of conceptual music and really does make you think about the consequences of war, and the post-World War II dream of a peaceful society, as well as Roger's own feelings towards his father's death and the betrayal of what he died for.

I like The Final Cut. Lyrically I think it's a masterpiece.

So no. We can't.

AMLOR on the other hand....

>tfw I actually liked Ummagumma studio
crucify me

Granchester Meadows and The Narrow Way are great.

Final Cut is underrated as hell, but Lapse is definitely trash.

Piper, More and Ummagumma (studio) also don't do much for me but I see why some people like them so I can't call them terrible, especially Piper.

This is the best Pink Floyd album.

^ this and yes I do

>Without Rick, there will never be a Pink Floyd again
I have to agree here. While they could've, perhaps, continued on as a Roger-David-Nick three piece in the 80s I can't see them doing it nowadays. It would be in extremely poor taste.

>Endless River was a disrespectful cash grab & horridly boring and trite
I have to agree here as well. It's stuff that could've been put in TDB's 20th anniversary boxset and I would've thoroughly enjoyed it. Instead they butchered the original demos and made some kind of studio monstrosity to capitalize off of Rick Wright's death.

>Glad Roger didn't participate in it, keeps him from getting stained by it.
He's busy working on his solo album. It's coming along nicely and should be out any time now, perhaps next year.

>Everyone is sleeping on their true magnum opus.

still don't understand the hate for amlor. i get that it's 80's pop rock, but it's damn good 80's pop rock.

i needed a good laugh, thanks user.

Personal favorite of all time desu crucify me Sup Forums

>mfw
In terrible taste and a cheap cash grab to sell demos that should've been on The Division Bell's anniversary boxset that was released the same year.

Their true magnum opus is Meddle.

not a bad choice, all of floyd is solid.

>all of floyd is solid

defend 80s onward Pink Floyd.

Compared to their earlier works it's like the McFloyd. A weak attempt to sound like Pink Floyd. Gilmour is nowhere near the songwriter Waters is and when he left he took all of Floyd's edge with him.

I can't... AMLOR is good 80's rock? High Hopes is pretty good? Endless River is relaxing? that's all I've got

don't quite think they were "trying" to sound like Floyd. David just wanted to make another solo album and decided it would work as a Floyd album since Nick and Rick both played on it. He didn't try to make it Floyd, he just made it sound like him. Which I'm perfectly okay with since I love all his other solo works. About Face is one of the most underrated albums I know, On an Island is comfy af, and Rattle That Lock was a nice blend of Jazz and smooth Prog. Absolutely adore Girl In The Yellow Dress.

Call me a basic bitch but the wall is the best in my opinion

I'd rather call you just another brick in the wall

Bullshit. They even bought in writers to try and make it a concept album. Even down to the cheesy Hipgnosis cover. How can we be as Pink Floyd as possible.

Thank you famalam

There's a couple different eras of Floyd, in my opinion. Here it goes:

1) RnB Floyd (1964-Early 1966)
As shown in the 1965 Recordings, they were a sort of RnB outfit like the Rolling Stones. Basically unrecognizable from every other British band at the time that wasn't the Beatles, they play a lot of American blues songs. To compensate from their lack of technique and knowledge after Bob Klose left, they begin (under Syd Barrett's leadership) to push the boundaries of psychedelia.
2) Psychedelic Floyd (Mid 1966-1968)
Acid-drenched and lost in a haze of dope and dry ice, Syd Barrett leads the band farther into the mind-expanding Underground of Swinging Sixties London. Here, they get their big break with hit singles 'Arnold Layne' and 'See Emily Play' as well as their debut album 'The Piper at the Gates of Dawn.' Syd Barrett shines brightly but drugs and the rejection of popstardom burn him out. By late 1967 he is catatonic, uncooperative, and uncontrollable. He is replaced by 1968 with David Gilmour, and only has one song on their second LP, 'Jugband Blues.'
3) Avant-Garde Floyd (1968-1970)
Struggling to come up with ideas after Syd's departure, the band begin to experiment with sound and push the boundaries of music further. They also take up the idea of being 'professional musicians' and begin to work on soundtracks for The Committee, More, and Zabriske Point. This era sees the Floyd at their most experimental but also attempting to find a sound lost when Syd left. Their attempts at singles flopped and they gave up the singles charts all together.
4) Prog Floyd (1970-1973)
This is Floyd at their proggiest, and also at their commercial height. Atom Heart Mother is their first UK number one and features on one side an orchestral rock piece. They continue with a soundtrack to La Vallee, and also go to Pompeii to film 'Live at Pompeii', playing in the Roman amphitheater. In this period the band begins working on 'Dark Side of the Moon'

(1/2)

>try and make it a concept album
gilmour strictly stated that he didn't want it to be a concept album. he was tired of lyrics being the main focus in pink floyd.

>even right down to the cheesy Hipgnosis cover
Why the fuck would he think of anybody to make his cover except for his childhood friend who has made all of his previous covers?

I would call you a fellow brethren

Oh yeah...

Ezrin had turned down Waters' offer of a role on the development of his new solo album, Radio K.A.O.S., saying it was "far easier for Dave and I to do our version of a Floyd record".[18] Ezrin arrived in England in mid-1986 for what Gilmour later described as "mucking about with a lot of demos".[19] At this stage, there was no firm commitment to a new Pink Floyd release, and Gilmour maintained that the new material might end up on a third solo album. CBS representative Stephen Ralbovsky hoped for a new Pink Floyd album, but in a meeting in November 1986, told Gilmour and Ezrin that the music "doesn't sound a fucking thing like Pink Floyd".[20] Gilmour later admitted that the new project was difficult without Waters.[21] Gilmour had experimented with songwriters such as Eric Stewart and Roger McGough, but eventually settled on Anthony Moore,[22] who would be credited as co-writer of "Learning to Fly" and "On the Turning Away". Instead of writing a concept album, Gilmour settled for the more conventional approach of a collection of songs without a thematic link.[23] By the end of that year, he had decided to turn the new material into a Pink Floyd project.[6]

5) Stardom Floyd (1973-1975)
The Floyd put out the critically acclaimed 'Dark Side of the Moon' and become practical superstars. In the process, however, they lose whatever sense of experimentation they had and any desire to continue with working collaboratively. They had done what they wanted to achieve and that was that. Roger begins to take control here, as David and Rick begin to stop contributing, starting with Wish You Were Here and only getting worse down the line
6) Punk Floyd (1977)
Animals is like its own thing in their discography. Not quite Roger-dominated but not quite a group effort. Not quite prog but not quite psychedelic. It arguably condemned society in more coherently and more venomously than most punk bands were able to do.
7) Roger Waters, ft. Pink Floyd (1979-1983)
Roger Waters dominates the writing and the composing of the albums, and takes control as the alpha of the band. Rick Wright is fired for his cocaine use and basically everyone hates everyone. After 'The Final Cut' is released the band goes into hibernation until...
8)Dave Floyd (1987-1994)
David Gilmour decides to say 'fuck you!' to the man himself and continue on without Roger, and in the process goes on a three-year world tour, outshining Roger's Radio KAOS tour in the process and cementing Pink Floyd as one of the dinosaurs that still deserved to live in the 1980s. The band, David-Nick-Rick-and-some-friends, put out one more album and go on tour before calling it quits.
9) Label Floyd (Whatever exists now)
Around solely for the purpose of selling us useless shit and repackaging the same remasters.

What are everyone's thoughts about the new box set coming out in November? Shit looks pretty cash, but not for 500 dolleridoos.

>gilmour strictly stated that he didn't want it to be a concept album. he was tired of lyrics being the main focus in pink floyd.
He'll never say it but I would bet serious money that, at some point, the concept was going to a self-conscious look at their split with Roger. Try listening to 'Learning to Fly', 'One Slip', 'and 'Sorrow' with that mindset and you'll see what I'm talking about.
Roger called him after he heard about that and said he was done with him and would never speak to him again.

Not enough Syd material. They should've emptied the vaults and put out anything that has Syd Barrett on the reel.

you're not disproving anything.

>he didn't even attempt a concept record
>why would he hire anybody else to make the art

Don't know about Once Slip or Sorrow, but Learning to Fly was literally about Gilmour and Mason learning to pilot planes, and how it feels to be in the air.

Luckily they buried the hatchet years later.
youtu.be/p3FL0Tezc6A

I'm glad everyone is nice in this thread

yeah, it's lot less toxic than other Sup Forums threads.

I'm not sure if David even knows what the fuck is happening nowadays with Floyd. As far as I know he had jumped off the Floyd ride soon after the release of The Endless River.

The live performance from Roger's tour of The Wall that David performed Comfortably Numb in was so heartwarming. Pink Floyd were my favourite band for most of my teen years so I was in a sense growing up exploring this band and reading about how they were tearing themselves apart towards the end but... seeing Dave standing on top of the Wall there made me realize everything turned out alright in the end.

I read a Guitar magazine interview with him after the Live 8 reunion when everyone thought Floyd was going to get back together where he basically said he was done with Floyd forever. But they keep doing these odd shows where Gilmour will show up and play with Waters or vice versa. Mason shows up too. The Endless River was interesting in seeing how their creative process worked but it was a blatant cash grab. But hey, Gilmour has a lot of children.

but they will never do a reunion tour ever and Rick is dead, so it further cements the fact I will never be able to see my favorite band live, and just kill me now.

Did you see the Outside the Wall. Mason came out too and Waters admitted he was an ass and apologized to David. Warmed my cold heart.

Can't find it on youtube?

I wanna rape you in your goddamn fucking retarded face

Yeah that aspect of it is pretty sad but I saw Roger do the Wall live in Minneapolis which helped ease the pain. There's always live albums and recordings, and even some great cover bands out there too. I've just accepted it and make do with what is actually available.

Yeah I saw that part too :)

youtube.com/watch?v=MMdPSE5cuNw

Thanks. Couldn't find it.

Wow, seeing Roger not be a dick is liberating, thanks user.

what are some songs you feel are underrated Sup Forums

youtube.com/watch?v=0Ilb_57xUC4

youtube.com/watch?v=HWhOd0ENVS8 a lot of stuff off of OBC

Nice.

It must have been incredibly difficult for them to follow their debut album. If I remember correctly, Nick Mason stated that SoS was his favourite album.

>it's a Dave/Rick duet episode

youtube.com/watch?v=SnI6WhHg5Iw

haha fine by me, hope you are having a nice night.

>Look Mommy, there's an airplane up in the sky
youtu.be/MJUuDoRZpyU

I didn't mind Seamus, however I did dislike San Tropez and A Pillow of Winds.

Fearless and Echoes are goat tho.

Such a cool video. The Wall movie is great.

cool opinion user. Fearless and Echoes are GOAT, One of These Days is great as well.

>mah nigga

youtube.com/watch?v=fxrYVFFhryg

ftfy

Obscured by Clouds is very underrated, and I personally enjoy it more than a lot of their other albums (Ummagumma side 2, Atom Heart Mother, Saucerful of Secrets).
Momentary Lapse isn't good, but Final Cut is pretty great.

Did anyone here like the album More? It's underrated here and has it's moments for sure

Nile Song is good, nothing else really stands out for me personally.

"The Narrow Way", especially the third part, I really liked the vocals

Cymbaline is pretty cool too.

I feel like a contrarian tryhard for saying this, but it's the truth.. first PF album I heard was DSoTM and I fell asleep halfway through it. Didn't think much of them, until one day during a trip to a track meet (was still in HS) I tried out Meddle & when "Echoes" came on it blew my mind and I finally decided to try out the rest and ended up getting obsessed. The AHM suite also blew me away - both of them are still my favorite PF songs.

Still find DSoTM fairly "meh" though :/

youtube.com/watch?v=-s5Rce6tkGk
youtube.com/watch?v=kfYa1TcLYpU
youtube.com/watch?v=T_CATnUOngA

The first two album on a technical note, but The Wall and Dark Side Of The Moon were really their greatest later works. Wish You Were Here was a little inconsistent an Animals was completely. Pigs On The Wing Pt. 1 and 2 really deserved to be on a better album. Everything else was okay excepto later work like The Division Bell which was trite.

but Dogs and Sheep are their best songs... ;-;

I didn't give Atom Heart Mother Suite a chance because the first 2 minutes turned me off from listening to the rest of the song and album. But now I really, really enjoy listening to AHMS and maybe consider it on par with Echoes (however, Echoes is much more constructed than AHMS).

Alright boys, it's time to find what Sup Forums's favourite Floyd albums are since this thread has been so cordial and full of different opinions.

Please pick 3
strawpoll.me/11200738/

It always seems, at least in my experience, that PF & TFUL282 threads are always rather cordial and cozy

always a pleasant surprise

>TFUL282

Pardon if my pleb is showing but what does that stand for?

Who let /r/music in?

Thinking Fellers Union Local 282

rateyourmusic.com/artist/thinking_fellers_union_local_282

You should check them out! Best starting point is Strangers From the Universe, but my personal favorites are Wormed By Leonard, Admonishing the Bishops, I Hope it Lands, and also Strangers From the Universe.

Some samples:

from Wormed, By Leonard.. one of my all time fav tracks: youtube.com/watch?v=YNd_Gc3V7u4

from I Hope it Lands: youtube.com/watch?v=tDErKDh59zU

from Admonishing: youtube.com/watch?v=Czp3wGZ9XUM

from Strangers: youtube.com/watch?v=sy3kQZTwwr0

Another from Wormed, By Leonard: youtube.com/watch?v=CM3F3g_pVGc

from The Funeral Pudding: youtube.com/watch?v=PkwGzl1I42g

If you end up enjoying them, also check out Sun City Girls if you havent yet!

Hey man, I don't mind you being here, but I'm afraid that this thread is too pleb for patrician such as yourself

>being cozy thread = pleb
okay then

Could get into this, thanks I'll mark them down to check out later!