This is my absolute favorite Bowie album, why do people consider it to be average?

This is my absolute favorite Bowie album, why do people consider it to be average?

>dat Diamond Doga
>dat Candidate
>dat Rebel Rebel
>dat Rock and Roll With Me

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=CUflIrTSwK8
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

You wanna know how I know you're straight?

Also my fave. Know someone who said he used to not like it purely because he hated 1984/Big Brother
But I like those songs too

Honestly I think a big part of it being ignored is the disgusting album art

And the part where it's a concept album about fucking men, but that's like half of Bowie.

You've answered your own question. Its because only the first side is great. Great is possibly even an understatement, it's arguably the best side in his entire discography. But side B is pretty patchy, with some highlights but a bit of mediocrity. It's so overshadowed by the first half of the album.

It's still a great album in my eyes and just about top 10 from him, but it's nowhere near as consistent as his other best works. If side B was as good as side A it would be his masterpiece.

while we're at it this is more enjoyable than any of his highly touted stuff.

is there any way to interpret the album art beyond just taking it at face value; an abomination?

I never picked up on any homosexual themes, can someone tell me what they are?

Station to stations is probably my 3rd or 4th favorite

>not being your favourite album of all time

Not as bad as the alternate one.

It's great until the last 3 songs, which are pretty meh.

Sweet Thing (boys....boys...), he's obviously singing Rebel Rebel to himself, Dodo (does this even need explaining?).

No, Bowie was very conflicted about the purity, validity, and acceptability of his homosexual desires. And I mean, being gay in the 70s was honestly probably pretty gross.

I swear he yawns at 4:15, anyone hear it?
youtube.com/watch?v=CUflIrTSwK8

As far as I'm concerned this was the LAST good album David Bowie ever made until 1983 when the Ziggy Stardust soundtrack came out. (No pun intended)

What alternate one

This

>unironically not considering Station to Station to be the best song ever recorded
howling

I hear it

holy shit

The fuck

always thought sweet things was written in the perspective of a female prostitute

Really Rock and Roll with Me and 1984 feel out of place to me stylistically. The opener and Sweet Thing are fucking awesome, Glam Bowie at his best. Rebel Rebel is a nice simple song to come down from that opening, and the closing is awesome. It's just that gap between Rebel Rebel to Big Brother is a little rocky. Rock and Roll with me feels a little too dumb and 1984 just doesn't hold up well in my opinion. Bowie usually sounded ahead of his time, but 1984 is very much a song of its time.

That said, on a subjective level, it's my favorite Bowie album. It's my Return of the Jedi of Bowie's glam trilogy of albums if that makes any sense. Fun to listen to even if it's not as consistent as the two albums preceding it.

Scary Monsters is a shite album

but Up the Hill Backwards is good

Also Red Sails is by far the most underrated bowie song

Honestly, Iggy kills that song and in comparison, Bowie just doesn't do it justice. It's not bad though i agree, it's definitely underrated.

Not that guy but his talking about cruising and a butch dude in the whole sweet thing-candidate-reprise seem like gay references

I don't think theres a lot of gay themes.

The characters on the cover art look like monsters from an arcade game or something

THIS