Assuming the last season were the only season where you saw them play

Assuming the last season were the only season where you saw them play.

Where would you rate them?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=aNd356PpRV0
m.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ0TsPih0i8
youtube.com/watch?v=uQ0TsPih0i8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Top 20, but nobody looks at just one season, so shut the fuck up. Messi is the best player I've ever seen.

For some reason people think Messi's having a bad season when he's been a pure 10 and created like 5 clear chances each game

thing of beauty

after those two games against atletico, i wouldnt put messi on top 100

People are saying he's having a bad season because he was mediocre in every important match he played in.

You mean like the game where he came off the bench to score a winner against Atletico at the Vicente Calderon?

Or the game that put them atop of La Liga where he scored in a 2-1 win against Atletico at the Camp Nou?

Or the 2 CL knockout games against Arsenal where he scored 3 goals?

>Where would you rate them?
Messi #1 or 2, Ronaldo #3-5

he pretty obviously meant the CL games against Atletico m8, also the clasico + those games they lost/drew after

Messi probably #1

Ronaldo, until Wolfsburg, was around 5-10
but after the Wolfsburg/Barcelona week, probably a solid 3

>he pretty obviously meant the CL games against Atletico m8,
He literally said "EVERY important match he played in". Are the two CL games against Atletico all important games Barcelona played this season?

>the clasico + those games they lost/drew after
And how are those important? They didn't lose the top spot for 1 moment. If those games they drew/lost after are important then so are the 5-0 trashings vs Getafe

Although Ronaldo has performed way better he uses hair gel therefore Messi is the GOAT.

every game is important in the league

messis the best, when he is having an off day, barcelona look mid-table like they did against atletico, the same can't be said about ronaldo, real madrid seem to function fine, if not better, in big matches without him touching the ball

>he's having a bad season because he was mediocre in every important match he played in.
If so (and I agree to an extent, people here are way too dismissive of games against mid table sides) then this claim is even more ridiculous.

don't think anyone thinks his season has actually been bad, just bad for his standards

didnt barcelona won nearly every game when messi was injured?

When you're desperately trying to mention reasons why Messi is LIKE, TOP 50 DUDE!1!!, your only resource is to cherry pick the 4, 5 matches where he wasn't at the top of his game... even if that's about 2% of his season production.

And if you're gonna talk about how "the Atletico games were the most important ones!", then go ask Suarez how in the fuck did he miss the no less than 5 free goals Messi gave him on a silver platter, leaving him 1 vs 1 against the GK...

sure in september/october against league teams, luckily messi came back to win 4-0 against real madrid, but it's not in this situation that barcelona need him most, it's in march and april when fatigue sets in from a long season that they need Messi to bail them out.

The years that Barcelona has not won the champions league are the years that Messi has not scored a ridiculous goal. The header against united, the long shot against united, the multiple goals against arsenal, the flick against, arsenal, the solo run against real madrid, the humiliation of bayern. It's a shame when he hits a wall. But Ronaldo has the luxury of missing the penalty in 2008 and his team still winning, and doing nothing in 2014 and his team still winning.
If you want to watch a pathetic display of soccer, watch the 2014 game tape.

youtube.com/watch?v=aNd356PpRV0

He lucked out with a penalty in 120th minute for his movie. And we're supposed to celebrate Ronaldo being "one of the best of all time" when he has very little highlight footage of big moments. He has a long shot at united, and .. ? a header in copa del rey in 2012?
His two best games of all time have come against Sweden and Wolfsburg. That says it all.

He also scored United's only goal in the 2008 final and was easily the best player during the entire CL campaign in 2014. He doesnt have the luxury of having the refs constantly help him out in Europe

Looks like you just got BTFO lad

why didn't messi just score some goals instead?

On last season? Both over the hill legends

Because they have Suarez. What's the point of putting Messi in the box when the best striker in the world is already there?

Ronaldo #2, Messi somewhere in the top 5, but below Ronaldo.

Nah he scored two very important goals against Atletico that they needed to win the league.

>but below Ronaldo.
Delusion.

We'll see if Real win the final, but otherwise Messi #1 and Ronaldo probably #3, Suarez has been better this season

Messi 1
Ronaldo I don't know
I feel like there are plenty of players that have his tap in powers

somewhere behind suarez

>when barca need him most, in march and april
>essentially fail to win every significant game they needed to win in march and april

messi edges it out. hes made some amazing assists this season

Ronaldo has scored more and his team is about the win the CL. Messi has done alright but was injured and literally nothing changed, Barca kept winning.

argentina was complaing that suarez wasn't producing, so i was wondering why messi wasn't either.

I guess you really can't complain when you have the worlds best striker on your team

>Ronaldo has scored more
So? Scoring more doesn't equal playing better.

>his team is about the win the CL.
So they still have 0 trophies. Meanwhile Messi has 2 this season.

Edgy
d
g
y

Scoring is the single most important metric by which we judge attacking players. Ronaldo has Messi beat by a considerable margin.
>still have 0 trophies
At least wait until the final of the CL then. I'm sure Real will win, Atleti has choked against them in the CL two times now in the last few years.
>Messi has 2
Of which one only matters, the league. Where Suárez played a more decisive role than Messi.

Yeah but you also have to consider how they won those trophies, having a 12 point lead and bottling it to only win the league by one point on the last game of the season isn't what i'd call a great season.

Then there's real bouncing back from the disaster that was benitez's tenure, and comming second in the league by 1 point and reaching the CL final.

You have to look at the entire picture. It isn't so black and white, especially when it comes to the
"messi vs ronaldo" argument

Is Ibrahimovic better than Messi then? Because he scored more as well. Is Lewandowski? Or how about Higuain?

>At least wait until the final of the CL then. I'm sure Real will win, Atleti has choked against them in the CL two times now in the last few years.
So? What if Real win but Ronaldo once again does nothing like in 2014? Will simply being on the winning team make him better?

>will simply being on the winning team make him better?
does messi simply being on the better team for the last eight years automatically make him better than ronaldo?

It's really not that simple, comparing team achievements towards arguments between Individual players doesn't really make for a sound argument.

The difference is Messi is better both individually and collectively.

>b-but ronaldo scored 5 against espanyol and made a german mid-table team his bitch, hes the best i swear!

reminder he does not score first goals and his single goals only contributed to 8 points out of real madrids entire season. He is a stat-padding choking little shit, and even if Real madrid wins the title next week, he will do nothing to make it happen, just like last time.

Why are you comparing across leagues? Scoring in one league does not equate scoring in another league. Only within leagues can you compare goal tallies, because they face the same opponnents.

>does nothing like 2014

Within Ronaldo they would have gone out against Wolfsburg. Being on the winning team of the most important trophy will make him better than Messi, yes. We judge attacking players by goals and trophies won, and if Ronaldo wins the CL he'll have Messi beat in both categories.

Messi #1
Ronaldo #TSUUUUUUUUUUUU

>We judge attacking players by goals and trophies won

so Messi has about equal scoring trophies, the most goals of all time in a year, and around 30 trophies to Ronaldos 3
YOU SURE SHOWED US M8,

I'm talking about this season. Why are Americans so dense? Jesus Christ.

It's fartalona messhit shitcano bandwagoners

Scum of the earth

>We judge attacking players by goals and trophies won,
Lmao, fuck off. I can't believe I was even seriously replying to this.

I take it you don't watch Barcelona games, because for the last year/2 years Messi's hasn't been on a finihing role. His main function is to feed Suarez/Neymar. And he's been superb at it. He just keeps scoring every now and then because... well, he's fucking Messi.

Sometimes I wonder how come a person can put CR over Messi, and then I read someone unironically post this kind of notions and analysis.
Some people don't understand the sport in the slightest, it's fucking amazing really.

>everyone practically acknowledges Messi is the greatest ever, henry lampard, cruijff etc
>some delusional contrarian weebs and kebabs/spics try to claim some closet faggot is even Messi's stratosphere
Kek

A lot of people think a long haired guy who wore sandals walked on water too

>thinking football can be broken down into "goals scored" and "trophies won"
This is worse than an American who started watching football last month.

>american analogies

Messi vs Ronaldo is a classic case of style vs substance.

Little kids buy into the fancy dribbles and goals and what not of Messi, overlooking the simplistic yet efficient machine like production of Ronaldo

These kiddies think in terms of narrative and memes, not logic and facts. They can't evaluate objectivity so they argue with what makes most sense to them, and their HGH idol

Autism

>obese shitcano argument

No counter-arguments. As expected. We all know how successful Messi is as Argentina. At least Ronaldo proved himself in three leagues. Messi has yet to impress in any other setting than Barcelona. And even then, he was outscored this season by Ronaldo and he lost his team the CL-tie against Atlético.

If I was a Chicano I'd be sucking inferior tsuu dick like you clueless idiots, spic

The counter arguments are that football is more than comparing 2 numbers - goals scored and trophies won.

You clearly don't understand football so there's not much to discuss.

Messi's worst game has more technical ability and dominance than Tsunaldo jogging around having Bale do everything, if anything we should compare Messi to Bale

Yeah it's not like Messi doesn't humiliate other leagues in Europe every year
Ring ring ring

>Ronaldo has scored more goals this season
>he is about the win the CL
>Messi was still better because of intangible reasons

Delusional.

>>Messi was still better because of intangible reasons
Exactly. 90% of football is intagible.

It is to you because you don't understand it. Now worries though lad. I don't mean to offend.

its the opposite. insecure teens love how handsome ronaldo is, and how many goals he score - even when his tryharding for scoring all the goals doesnt benefit the team. messi, on the other hand, doesnt care about anything but winning titles - and he has like 3x the number of titles that ronaldo does.
example:
not putting effort in el clasico, to preserve himself for champions league. did not work out, but its the kind of stuff that makes him a better player than ronaldo - thinking about the titles, not individual praise.

This, he is truly the GOAT

>I don't mean to offend.
The only offensive thing about your posts is their stupidity.

Messi fanboys are embarrassing. He could slip on some birdshit accidentally score a goal and they would say he meant it.

When I respond to utter shit, I have the lower the quality of my posts.

If Einstein has a conversation with a mong, obviously Einstein's genius won't shine through because he's talking to a mong. Similar situation here, no offence but I'm talking to an absolute layman in the matter of football.

>missi v penaldo threads

yu divegrass faggots dont talk about anything else

>not putting effort in el clasico, to presere himself for champions league

Delusion

>football = goals scored + trophies
alright.

Was Thierry Henry a better player than Zidane? Because he scored more goals and won more trophies.

How about David Villa and Maradona? Or Gerd Muller and Johann Cruyff?

Yes, yes, and yes.

This hasn't even been a debate for years now, only teens and idiots think tssunaldo is anywhere near Messi's level
Typical /sp / stupidity
m.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ0TsPih0i8

>comparing players throughout the ages

First you try to compare people in different leagues using goalscoring even though I didn't say you could do that to compare players, now you compare players from different ages?

How embarrassing for you. You're grasping at straws.

I love how your only argument is superficial style that only proves me uncannily correct

>substance
>cristiano
Your own words prove you incorrect

Who was better for the 01/02 Madrid? Zidane or Raul. Raul scored more goals and they won the same amount of trophies, so it has to be Raul, right?

Who was better for 88/89 Napoli? Careca or Maradona? Careca scored more goals.

Who was better for 12/13 Bayern? Ribery, Robben or Mandzukic. Mandzukic scored the most goals, so I have no doubts it was him.

etc etc

>now he's comparing people from the same team with different roles

How fucking embarrassing. You still haven't been able to give me an example of two contemporary attacking players, playing in the same league.

youtube.com/watch?v=uQ0TsPih0i8

Has this been posted yet?

>different roles
Wow, it's almost as if Messi and Ronaldo play different roles.

Besides, you never specified roles. You said that we compare attacking players by comparing goal tallies and trophies. All the players I listed are attacking players.

Ebin

Of course dude, are you clueless? Listen to the dutch guy itt, he knows!...
For example, Pietro Virdis is better than Maradona. What do you mean "I don't know him"...? He was the Serie A top scorer the year Diego won the scudetto with Napoli. Sure, he pretty much single handedly carried a small team to their first league title... but was he capocannoniere? Checkmate!

If Sup Forums taught me anything, is that with some people there's so much shit you have to explain from scratch, that you're better off avoiding the discussion altogether... for your own mental health

Messi and Ronaldo have roughly the same role, which is "do what you want". This season, Ronaldo has followed this instruction more successfully than Messi.

Your argument is like someone claiming Kobe is better than Jordan, you can't reply seriously to someone that solid and deluded

Bruh this is Sup Forums, unless you play in the E"P"L you have to score in basically every CL game to be considered above flop level
Case in point: Zlatan, Higuain, any La Liga player outside Real/Barca

>Messi and Ronaldo have roughly the same role
lmao, you're beyond retarded.

Show me 1 instance of Ronaldo playing a midfield role and assisting a team mate with a 30 yard through ball.

If they play the same role then there must be plenty.

Ronaldo is a pure forward who likes to score and gets mad when he doesn't. And he really doesnt add anything else to the game.

Messi is clearly over rated, likes to walk and not even the best player on his team.

>Messi and Ronaldo have roughly the same role, which is "do what you want".
DUDE
WEED
LMAO

>that flag
>this topic

No, it's not.

Your argument is "I have a severe case of autism so I like fancy pictures and colors so Messi is better"

If you don't have an argument. Don't bother replying.

>your flag
>any topic

Messi and Ronaldo have the same instruction which they fulfill in different manners, because their teams have different needs. Messi, as always, has generational greats in his team and thus is allowed to walk on the pitch all game and give one or two decent balls to Suáre to decide the game. Ronaldo, however, is stuck with more modest players and thus has to do the goalscoring himself, which has caused him to lead his team to a CL final and he outscored Messi.

Messi is redundant, when Barca faced Real without Messi they won 4-0, when they faced Real with Messi they lost 2-1 which should have been 3-1. Thanks to Ronaldo.

Ronaldo has had the better season, this much is indisputable. However, laymen can't see this.

You seem upset.

Sweden > U.S.A.
stay mad

>Messi and Ronaldo have the same instruction
Source? Can you show me Enrique or Zidane during a team talk giving Messi and Ronaldo the same instructions?

Why do you assume that they're getting the same instruction and fulfilling them differently instead of simply getting different instructions?

Proof that Messi fanboys are delusional.

>Shut up mom, I'm defending Cristiano on a Vietnamese origami imageboard!

Because you're absolutely fucking delusional if you think Luis Enrique gives Messi instructions or Zidane gives Ronaldo instructions. They both are more powerful than the coach, and as such their only instruction is "do what you want to make us win".

I hope one day you can open your eyes and see football for what it is. You're better off watching table tennis if you're THIS much of a simpleton.

Yes it is, your analogies are retarded
This is without even taking into account that practically every legend and everyone acknowledges Messi is the greatest
Don't expect me to take angry contrarian kids on this site with seriously

So you do not have a source for those claims. Hmmm, it's almost as if you pulled them right out of your ass.

Can I then claim that Zidane and Raul were getting the same instructions and just fulfilling them differently? I mean, Perez has no regard for coaches, Zidane and Raul were surely more important than Del Bosque.