We all agree that Cash version is miles better than NIN, right?

We all agree that Cash version is miles better than NIN, right?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=EtbuUlSGXzc
youtu.be/0iptgGJWrs8
youtu.be/3zEz7II5yZY
youtube.com/watch?v=QoHsR4IlUk8
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

no

Better overall, yeah. But they're so separate in tone that it makes the comparison pointless.

i remember when mtv nominated this for video of the year and all the normies were confused

t. contrarian redditor

Listened to both a few times and no, I like Reznor's version better. Cash's voice sounds too monotone throughout most of the song I feel and I like the backing instrumental in the NIN version better than the strumming guitar in Cash's version.

Not at all

Hey man they're both good. Just have a good time

Fuck off

>But they're so separate in tone that it makes the comparison pointless

pretty much this. the context of knowing who Johnny Cash is I think adds a lot to his cover.

I think that any Johnny cash cover is better than the original.

No. As a matter of fact, I actively avoid people who say Cash's cover is better.

>the context of knowing who Johnny Cash is I think adds a lot to his cover.

that's the whole purpose of his cover

Yup

Tront even said "that song isn't mine anymore."

Purpose is usually lost when the audience hears it.

>tront

good job doucher

That's kind of you.

They're both great, and yeah Trent did say Cash's version is better, but the NIN version is just leagues better. You have to realize that it was written as the closer for a very specific concept album, and the lyrics / emotion with which Trent sings is very personal to that album. The context is what gives it more power.

Cash heard it, and related to it (like so many do), and did his own interpretation. And it is a good interpretation in the context of Cash's life, but the original product was made to be the ending to a story, and it will always be better on The Downward Spiral, in my opinion.

you forgot it in people

>self-hating asshole says someone else's version is better than his
>statement is supposed to mean something

the obvious problem with your rebuttal is that redditors are incapable of being contrarian. try harder next time faggot. do some more research

youtube.com/watch?v=EtbuUlSGXzc
this is another one of those things. i love soundgarden way better than i ever enjoyed nin, but this song is one that i respect the shit out of . even if it isn't an original.
he lends his own style to it. not like the hurt cover.

he's right though

also the cash version is basically reddit's favorite song of all time

Based Tront

can we upvote nickelback to the top of /r/music with the genre tag as funk again

seriously though why isnt there any county music as good as Cash

because he was old and dying, yeah

if you removed the context of who he was it's not as good. both songs are pretty solid

trent only pretends to be self loathing though, dude has a massive ego

>DUDE, CONTEXT IS NOT IMPORTANT

fuck off

>agree that it was better
>FUCK YOU

man what do you want from me

I thought it was trunt.

You're retarded

Yeah bitch get the fuck out with your shitty positive comment and open minded attitude.

t. reddit

Nigga you gay as hell

>being this much of a redditor
>being this oblivious
Damn user, that's gotta be embarrassing

Chris Cornell has written songs for a ton of people. I went to his Higher Truth tour (which was fuckin fantastic) and he said that originally, he had written this song for Cash, but Cash had said it wasn't in the right range for him (which was a nice way of saying he didn't want to sing it.)
He ended up singing Rusty Cage instead, which Cornell was still ecstatic about.

youtu.be/0iptgGJWrs8

>"that song isn't mine anymore."
>still his most played live song

Cash's is only good cause of the video

So you avoid Trent Reznor?

donald tront

Cash died.

No I still have some change.

i love you

Cash's version is awkwardly somber because you're listening to an old dude talk about how he forgets shit and has lived a life of regret whereas Trent's is appropriately depressing because he's a loser drug addict

No, Reznor's version has more emotion to it, and there's the wall of feedback at the end of it that makes the song.

Both are good but i prefer NIN. Johnny Cash just regrets being alive for so long

its threads like these that make me glad to be on Sup Forums

ain't tront that dude from the emperor's new groove

I think I like Cash's version better as an isolated track, but the original is much stronger and has a heavier emotional impact within the context of the album.

Trent's version is miles ahead, only plebs think otherwise.

shit no.

Nothing compares to that disgusting final chord of hurt.

The fact that it was the end of an entire cycle of self destruction and the culmination of the downward spiral, it also carries special weight, as well as being far superior musically.

nin version is better

yep

Fuck Johnny Cash, I used to admit that his version was good just to conform, but fuck it I admit it's complete shit. Johnny Cash is a meme musician, there's nothing remotely good or moving about his cover of Hurt which is also one of NIN's weakest songs. Trent still did it better, and is a better artist all around.

brutal

>redditor
>able to form a contrary opinion
Pick one and only one

>Johnny Cash is a meme musician
Compared to other country musicians he certainly is.

>one of NIN's weakest songs.
nah thats any song post 2000

As a standalone song Cash is better
In context of TDS NIN is better

Both are good for different reasons.

This thread shows how Rockist Sup Forums is. Johnny Cash will never be appreciated because he doesn't have 5 concepts albums with pretty covers as his discography. His later meme cover songs are probably the only songs of his you have even heard.

>Rockist
Get out.

t. mad rockist
When was the last time you shuffled an album? Never?

Unless it's from a soundtrack it doesn't count :^)

Country music is a contrarian meme

>Country music is a contrarian meme
>this is what Sup Forums kids actually believe

any cash version of anything is better than the original
even his farts are better than the original fart

>le twingy twan down to earth cowboy sing alongs
>good
>b-but muh real country

>slowed down, acoustic cover of a pop/rock song
>universal critical acclaim

Every time.

sorry, but your opinion is wrong

caress me daddy

I really dont understand how you can prefer the NIN version apart from it being the original, Trent sounds like an angsty teenager compared to Cash

Coils version> NiN> Cash

w-what
what are you talking about? cash's version is still good, it's just not better than NIN's

I really don't understand how you can have shit taste and live at the same time. But here you are.

Does Sup Forums just go against the grain for the sake of it. How can you like the NIN one better?

No doubt Cash's version is great but NIN's is even better. There's more raw emotion in it that a faggot like me can relate to and the instrumentals add to the atmosphere. The ending part of NIN's version pretty much seals it.

Coil never covered Hurt?

When the biggest fans of Cash's cover have such terrible taste with other music, why should I trust them with this one?

>disliking NiN
>terrible taste in music
dude not everyone here is 15 years old get a grip

It's not even that cash's cover is some masterpiece, the NIN's song is just mediocre and the cash version is better

>It's not even that cash's cover is some masterpiece
idd, it's great but definitely no a highlight in that amazing album

Covers of songs in general are garbage. The person who wrote the song does it best.

Also see>The ending part of NIN's version pretty much seals it.

The wall of feedback and white noise at the very end of the track, at the end of the album, is the icing on the cake.

youtu.be/3zEz7II5yZY

That's really fucking cool to know. Thank you, user.
have another great one.
youtube.com/watch?v=QoHsR4IlUk8

No

Christ, the Cash version is great for people who lived a pampered life and only have the idea of their parents or loved ones dying comfortably of old age as a "struggle". The NIN version is so much more sinister, captivating, mysterious and musically diverse.

Reznor may be edge teenage tier, but you have to call it what it is; thats what it sounds like to hear real, palpable internal problems emulated through an audio medium.

Plus, Cash doesn't even have that cool minor key change like Reznor does when he sings the word Hurt during the "I will make you hurt" hook. Not only that, but the inevitable wall of distorted sound at the end symbolizing the disgusting, twisted goal of the entire album (((suicide))) is primo.