What is the appeal of Pink Floyd? I've never found them remotely appealing...

What is the appeal of Pink Floyd? I've never found them remotely appealing, or revolutionary like everyone hypes them up to be, what is so great about them?

literally the super mario bros of music

theres nothing great about it, it just has a bunch of disposable sound effects that are suppose to be DUDE WEED LMAO

How so? I just don't understand the stigma behind the band, like it is this force to be reckoned with.

Yeah that's all i see is "you ever listened to it high on lsd XDDDD"

dark side of the moon is the album you'd get free with your stereo like getting super mario for free with your nintendo

and led zeppelin 4 is the duck hunt of music. You'd get it free with your guitar.

Okay, but what makes it good? I find the lyrics bland, except the song Time, which I will admit is the only song I truly like from them, and the guitars boring. The bass is forgettable, etc.

I didn't get any of those free

Well since you've already taken the initiative of finding smart people to take opinions from, you've got no reason to be here.

kek

>What is the appeal of Pink Floyd? I've never found them remotely appealing, or revolutionary
Because you listened to who they've influenced, everything after them, all the repeats and copies so you've essentially heard them already in different forms so it's nothing new or appealing to you.

hahah got him

Since they're the most well known prog/art rock band they're probably the first one most people hear. I'd imagine its a lot easier to find them revolutionary if your points of comparison are bands that are even less progressive.

I see what you're saying, but I had Pink Floyd played in my early youth by relatives, and to this day I've never grown to like them. Before I ever really found interest in music, I still had a dislike for them.

>thinks early youth opinions matter in any way

maybe you should get high and then listen to them

Pink Floyd was my favorite band growing up and is still a favorite of mine now. Which albums have you heard besides Dark Side of the Moon?

Same. I enjoyed DSOTM a bit, the Wall was meh. Never really got the urge to go back and listen to them again.

Never said they did, but those same opinions have stayed consistent

DSoM, The Wall, Animals.
I wouldn't mind trying to go back and trying other of their work, but I just don't find their music as good as many others like to make it.

Yeah, my feelings exactly

I was grounded and all I could do was listen to my Pink Floyd CD, Green Day CD, and Panic at the Disco. It was the Wall. I haven't listened to again since, I remember the parts with the bombs and stuff scaring me. Great band.

>continues to imply that they matter

Floyd was accessible.

While other prog rock groups were pushing sonic envelopes and generaly crawling up their own asses (Crimson, ELP, Tull, PFM), Pink Floyd was busy getting airplay and endearing themselves to your bombed-out parents.

Those three albums are somewhat similar to each other as far as their work goes. Wish You Were Here is great but it would be more of the same for you.

Try Meddle, it might be my favorite by them and it's a bit different / predates what you've listened to.

I'll listen to it soon, I'd like to get into them.

Listen to Piper at the Gates of Dawn

I'd ask for a refund.

Have you watched The Wall movie? An acquired taste, but it might help. Lots of imagery that you don't need to be high for.

one of the most annoying albums I have ever heard

Nope, have never watched it.

t. pleb

Love Floyd. Agree completely.

>I've never taken acid but consider myself a fan

I'VE GOT A BIKE

Their songwriting's unremarkable, which leads them to overdub, jam, and generally meander to compensate. Compared to most prog, they were always pretty basic when it came to composition.

Generally it's fine, but it's kinda like when a director tries to fix a movie in post-production. The effect is generally insulting to one's intelligence.

This
I know drugs are kind of a meme on here (DUDE _______ LMAO), but listening to certain music while high can really change your opinion on it.
For example, I've never been into tame impala but one time i was smoking with my friend and he played currents, an album i have heard 3 times before and didn't care for, and it sounded amazing. Its now one of my favorite albums, even if i listen to it sober it sounds good (but obviously sounds better when high)

>t obviously sounds better when high

You are scum

Why? Have you ever listened to currents while very high on weed? It's psychedelic music, and weed is technically a psychedelic (which most people don't know about for some reason), so it kind of makes sense that it would sound better.

Tame impala is a fucking masterpiece while sober
Maybe it took weed to make your mind actually validate musical perfection
>TFW I'm a metalhead

holy shit go back to rebbit you old faggot

no thats a good analogy

I think you'll find it's not

no I've been forcing this meme for years

I didn't get the hype around currents til I was stoned to be honest

The idea that drugs enhance anything is skeptical and highly problematic. You are nothing but a walking stereotype

>listened to Pipers
>liked it but didn't really stand out
>listened to Dark Side
>thought it was pretty solid but didn't really stand out
>listened to Wish You Were Here
>liked it but was too drunk to make note of anything
o well

Animals and Meddle next

skeptical and problematic?

Jesus, fucking this.
I'm a HUGE Tull and ELP (rip in piece) fan, along with Floyd, but 'up their own asses' is the best way to describe it.

you might as well kill yourself if you hate having fun that much

Tull had hit albums, and ELP went pop eventually

>owning anything other than a Martin D-28 and a Fender Stratocaster

why do people do this /gg/?

>The bass is forgettable
>Money has one of the most memorable basslines ever

PF helped to mold my psyche during adolescence. Their political and sociological views at the time were visionary to me as a 15 or 16 year old. Today, they are surprisingly realistic. I still cling to the values of "Animals" and sympathize with the child of "The WALL." Most or not all of The Pink Floyd values, as exhibited in their lyrics, positively promote FREE THINKING! Free your ass and your mind will follow! I, 30 years later, like that! YES, I was HIGH when I first saw/heard them. I do not get High today! But, That does not keep me from enjoying what I learned from them and enjoyed all those years ago. An old guy says, "Check Pink Floyd Out!" Before you condemn them. Also, check out Roger Waters single albums. Great anthems there for Freedom!

That was my first ever post on Sup Forums. In the words of ARNOLD, "I'll Be Back!"

>he didnt like any colour you like

When you're 13 and you've just discovered that classic rock exists, they seem like the apex of music.

Some people never grow out of that mindset.

LW

When you're 16 and you've just discovered that Pitchfork exists, Pink Floyd is lame music for fogies

Some people never grow out of that mindset

I'm embarrassed to relate.. Except for the 16 year old part.

It never stops to amaze me how ignorant people are about drugs, and yet feel that their opinion on the subject is worth a damn.

Stop. You are not smart enough to appreciate Pink Floyd. Try dubstep.

Wish You Were Here was the soundtrack to a bad acid trip I had six years ago and now Floyd gives me panic attacks.

it's pretty

The Wall (the movie) is really good

unironically better while on drugs, for the same reason trance music is unironically better on drugs. getting really high and listening to floyd on headphones/really good stereo is like being wrapped in a warm blanket. acid helps also but if you're on acid enjoy something visual.

not The Wall though, unless you have balls of steel.

dark side of the moon is one of their worst albums

>dude weed

If you don't listen to much old rock music, you won't understand the appeal to Pink Floyd. The problem with kids these days just now checking out Dark Side of the Moon is they have no sense of context for when the album was first released, and thus have no understanding of just how groundbreaking it was for 1973. Even then, I can't promise you'll enjoy the songs themselves but you'll at least realise why Dark Side changed the way people look at and listen to albums.

Nothing, they are the BLANDest.

Most overrated prog band by far.
Not bad just, sadly, eclipses bands like Steve Hillage and Gong which have far more interesting background.

also music usually sounds better on drugs because thats how drugs work. Erowid literally says an effect of LSD is "increased awareness & appreciation of music"

You know nothing about drugs. Stop letting Sup Forums's "anti degeneracy" memes dictate your real life actual opinions.

The album posted and every album that followed it sucks! Oh dear me. Life sucks and then you die. Wah! Wah! the music industry exploits me and then discards me! Oh boo fucking hoo! Politicians control everything and we have no say! Wah! Wah! I lost my daddy in the war and that's why I became a drug addled rock star and my life left me and I killed myself! Geez Louise! Steely Dan could take all these subject matters crystalize them all into five minute songs and add a fucking sense of humor to the subject matter. I'm sure many have chimed in about how PF should've broken up after Syd left but I'll be merciful and just say that one doesn't need to listen to any PF after Obscured by Clouds.

Because they basically did a whole bunch of crazy shit nobody had ever done with guitars when DSOTM came out

It wasn't just like buying a pedal and getting the sound you wanted OP you dumb nigger, look it up

Also if you can't enjoy Wish You Were Here you're a fucking pleb and should probably end your life

>PF thread

pink floyd always gets shit on, man

makes me sad

What the fuck does this even mean? It's like you're trying to come up with this great analogy and horribly failing

kill yourself

(their best album btw)

What's so enjoyable about THAT album? Have you ever REALLY listened to those songs and read the lyrics? What's so great about an album where basically each song tells you that you shouldn't pick up an instrument and become a professional musician because the music industry is going to just chew you up and spit you out? If this is one's idea of enjoyment I'd hate to se what one's idea of misery is. Kill my hopes and dreams? No thanks!

I'm sorry for those who doesn't enjoy Pink Floyd. Poor bastards.

The Dark Side of The Moon is so fucking overrated.

Your ass is overrated, asshole.

The autism in this comment is too strong

My glutes probably are overrated. But so is Dark Side of The Moon.

Your ass wasn't produced by Alan Parsons. There is no reason to be overrated at all.

This album (dark side of the moon) is the best one I've heard as the concept of album, because when progressive rock was introduced in the uk they made it popular introducing new sounds with the "Moog" sintetizer. The band membres also had musical studies, they could've been classical music composers, so basically they are proffessionals introducing a new sound. Also check the band "Yes" album "Fragile". FRESH SOUND + MUSIC STUDIES + SOCIETY = HIT

Yes because it takes tons of intelligence to enjoy Pink Floyd

Not even bait lad

I like them alot before my normie friends start to like them and now i'm just like meh about them

Atom Heart Mother sounds nice

I agree

He's saying its a very ubiquitous album. That doesn't mean anything about the music itself though

>calling me a walking stereotype
>being this oblivious
If you've never tried drugs then why do you think you have the knowledge to judge them and their effects? Most people i know would agree that weed makes music sound a lot better, and you, someone who seemingly gas never tried it, are trying me it doesn't and I'm just memeing.

My advice to you is to just open your mind. Just becaus some fag on a chinese cartoon site said it was degenerate doesn't mean that it is. I'd even argue its more degenerate to let yourself be so ignorant when changing would be so easy

Start from the begining, context really helps.
Also as cliche as it is, drugs

Pink Floyd is my favorite band, personally. I listen mostly to prog rock and art rock (Yes, Gentle Giant, ELP, KC, the usual stuff), and I studied classical music and jazz in high school and college. The reason PF is my favorite is because they did an excellent job making music that was intelligent but also accessible, and that reflects the kind of approach to music that I would like to pursue.

if you listen to piper and think it's a bad album your opinion is discarded. it's legitimately the most influential album in psychedelic rock