Who thought it was acceptable to release this album?

Who thought it was acceptable to release this album?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=oblEdlJ9hPg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

fuck you nigger it was a fun album

its good why you know like

avey here
it was me

two bad albums in a row avey, get your shit together already

i like that album and think its good and ive thought that since i first listenedf to it and i think that now
what are you gonna do about it

The worst part of Painting With is how content them seem to be with it. That's what's most disheartening.

What is your favorite AnCo album?

at least it's better than Centipede HZ

No, Slasher Flicks was good. I honestly actually thought Panda Bear Meets the Grim Reaper and that Slasher Flicks album were both pretty solid. I'm actually surprised that Painting With turned out the way it did, I was expecting somewhat of a creative comeback, but I just ended up liking Centipede Hz a little bit more than I did before, which wasn't exactly the outcome I was hoping for. It's like they put more effort into their solo projects now while Animal Collective is just something they're 'supposed to do.'

People who like Painting With's favorite Animal Collective album is usually either Centipede Hz or Painting With.

neither slasher or grim reaper where as good as their previous solo releases, PW is bad and CHZ is not very good either, get your shit together avey, you used to be cool

My favorite is MPP

painting with is okay to me. CHz and SJ are my favorite albums of theirs.... do i count?

not even SJ

CHz is shit

Yeah. You also probably think the second half of Feels isn't as good as the first, so you make the team.

Honestly people who's favorite Animal Collective album is Strawberry Jam usually just are reluctant to accept it being Merriweather Post Pavilion, even though Merriweather technically topped Strawberry Jam. Still the best thing to come out of their pop movement is ODDSAC, because it combined their early experimental roots with the pop aesthetic they found later in the 2000's, so they had come full circle.

>grim reaper
>not as good as tomboy
lol

FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI

Tomboy was the one before Grim Reaper, not Person Pitch.

It's weird how the general opinion of AnCo's best album shifts so drastically around here. SJ was the favorite for a while, then it sort of fell out of favor for a while (STGSTV took it's place), and now it's back to being really well loved. Even though I'm aware of it's many imperfections, my personal favorite of theirs is Sung Tongs - always has been - and even that was the "token board favorite" for a few weeks.

Big up on ODDSAC though. Incredibly underrated.

Whenever people ask me my favorite band I can no longer confidently say Animal Collective without hesitation, not because they're not my favorite band but just because I'm afraid of them hearing that song and then talking to me differently afterwards.

I used to hate Centipede Hz. Then I grew to like it when I just laid in bed, cranked my stereo and sunk into it.

Then I dropped acid and did it. It completely sunk in then. I get why a lot of people don't like it. It's weird and harsh. But it's very cool. I'm glad I finally got to enjoy it. New Town Burnout is my favorite.

youtube.com/watch?v=oblEdlJ9hPg

It feels disjointed and clustered in a way that isn't stimulating or entrancing in any way. Nothing comes together in a way that feels right, it always feels like their ambitions are elsewhere. Honestly dropping acid to Centipede Hz would feel like a waste of acid to me. You can't really be present with it because it just never really feels present. even with new Town Burnout it feels like it's reaching for something instead of just lending all its energy to what it actually accomplishes. The song goes around in circles, which could have been great, but it feels like they're trying to break away from the circle rather than throw everything into making it become a mesmerizing and enthralling experience. The whole album feels like them not focusing on the right aspects to me.

Spirit - 8
Danse - 5
Hollinndagain - 6
Campfire Songs - 6
HCTI - 10
Sung Tongs - 7
Feels - 8
Strawberry Jam - 9
Merriweather - 10
CHz - 6
Painting With - 8
Say what you will about some of their albums, they're an incredibly consistent band and we should consider ourselves lucky that they're still making music.

Don't tell me what I think, butthead.

I like Strawberry Jam because it is the most enjoyable album to listen to. Especially the 1-2-3 punch of For Reverend Green -> Fireworks -> #1.

MPP is just a completely different aesthetic and, for me, was a wrong turn. They stripped away all the rawness and rough edges of previous releases, and they went way to far with the obnoxious "ohh oh oh oh oh ohhhhhhh" vocals.

For me, after MPP they never recovered. Painting With is an abomination.

you're a teenager

>he doesn't like Fall Be Kind

You're wrong

It's better than MPP at least

you're definitely a teenager

not true in the slightest, you're just trying to stir up an "AnCo newfags" type of argument which is ridiculous

>MPP is just a completely different aesthetic and, for me, was a wrong turn. They stripped away all the rawness and rough edges of previous releases, and they went way to far with the obnoxious "ohh oh oh oh oh ohhhhhhh" vocals.
I'm pressed to name any album they did from the 2000's that didn't incorporate wordless vocals. I think your issue is more of the aesthetic than what they actually accomplish with that aesthetic.
Spirit They're Gone, Spirit They've Vanished - 9.5/10
Danse Manatee - 6/10
Hollinndagain - 8/10
Campfire Songs - 10/10
Here Comes the Indian - 10/10
Sung Tongs - 9/10
Feels - 10/10
Strawberry Jam - 8/10
Merriweather Post Pavilion - 9.5/10
ODDSAC - 9.5/10
Centipede Hz - 5/10
Painting With - 4.5/10

Is there a more headache inducing album? What the fuck were they thinking

I dunno why my opinion triggers you so much but here's my non-teenage beard

PW isn't that bad. It falls flat compare to their other records, but it's sad to see every singe thing they release be met with "but where's muh MPP Pt. 2?".

And we have this thread every day

Why does every Animal Collective thread devolve into album ratings?

>animal collective

>AnCo will never make another album as good as Here Comes the Indian

MPP and Strawberry Jam sound super different though

You never know. I feel like this pop phase has run it's course, and they'll soon move on

that is the band

reported
this

holy heck it's hard to listen to and stimulates synesthesia in the worst way possible

Merriweather is good dude. I find it weird that someone who's favorite Animal Collective album came out of their pop era denies this.

It sounds like the issue isn't that the album is disjointed. The issue is it's coming from a different perspective and you haven't accepted it yet. It's not like the other albums. Treat it like itself.

Let me tell you a dumb acid story. I was staying at these feminist's cabin in the north Carolina woods for a weekend, building fires and relaxing. They had a wind chime over the mulch toilet, I figured so you could tap it and let people know you're there.

I dropped acid the second day, and got restless. I thought it would have been easy for these ladies to fake the feminist library and ecoutrement, and it could have all been algorithm'd together. I needed some proof that the place was really what it made itself out to be before I could relax. And as often helps when doing acid, I let myself find puzzles to solve.

I started building fires, but they wouldn't stay burning. When I got up, I realized why. I was looking at it from the wrong perspective, and I couldn't see the kindling was off center. That led me to trying to think about everything that weekend from the perspective of the owners, and how two lesbians would design a place and why.

Then it hit me. The wind chimes weren't a warning. They had a subtler purpose. It was more like pavlovian conditioning, and it was meant to be more of a gentle push than an order. More "please be respectful" and less "stay away". The sentiment clearly came from those women. I just needed to step outside my own head to see it.

Step outside your head. Listen to it again with fresh air. It flows. Just not the way you're used to.

>Why does every Animal Collective thread devolve into album ratings?

Because they have a really varied discography with at least 3 distinct phases (arguably more) and lots of people have radically differing opinions on them.

Personally I like their experimental ambient/noise phase the best, especially HCTI and Campfire Songs, but I also really love their freak folk phase, and their pop phase is also great in its own right, For Reverend Green is one of my all time favorite songs and Fall Be Kind is amazing.

Completely agree with this, the album isn't engaging at all, I feel completely unmoved when I finish it. Had a couple of interesting riffs here and there, but just overall I just did not feel like I had experienced the album in the way I had the others.

Still, it's better than Painting With, which doesn't even have that. The whole thing is just very xD and isn't just boring, it's literally offensive to my ears, I'd rather listen to nothing. Not a single redeeming quality about it.

It's ok

I know, but we could just discuss the albums, rather than slapping a number on them

>HCTI and Campfire Songs
those are my favorites too

painting with really grew on me after a couple listens. vertical is one of the catchiest songs they've ever written and their dedication to the overall textural pallet of the album is impressive at least.
unfortunately the album brought some of their most obnoxious songs out too, but it's MUCH more concise and focused than centipede hertz and feels like a proper followup to mpp in the way it takes the pop approach even further. i wouldn't say it's even in my top 5 favorite albums of theirs but i've been enjoying it more every listen

Honestly? I enjoy every anco record for a different reason. I don't think any of them are bad. They're all just different. Although, admittedly some aren't as good as others... Here are my current ratings to compare:

STGSTV: 9.5
DM: 7
CS: 8.5
HCTI: 10
ST: 8
F: 9
SJ: 10
MPP: 9
FBK: 10
CHz: 7.5
PW: 7.5
Oddsac is impossible to compare because it's an audiovisual experience.

>rating painting with higher than sung tongs and on the same level as spirit

found t. pleb

While I agree with your overall sentiment I don't see how the windchimes connect to anything here.

Basically, stop expecting something and take Painting With for what it is. If you like it, cool. If you don't, cool. That doesn't make the album utter shit and it doesn't mean Animal Collective are finished. It's going to be really sad to see all these people shitting all over Painting With praising the hell out of their next album after claiming they're "finished".

Animal Collective is a passion of Avey and Panda Bear especially, they have both said it will be a life long project. They aren't doing it because of a contract, or for money, or because they're "supposed to". They do it because it's part of who they are and what they do. Animal Collective is their release, their lifeblood in a sense. It pains me to see so many people think they released this album to try and get "back on top" or "make tons of money" or "match the critical acclaim of MPP". They released this album because they had song ideas they wanted to get out there, and they did.

Sprit Theyre Gone Spirit Theyve Vanished- 9/10
Danse Manatee- 4/10
Campfire Songs- 8/10
HCTI- 8/10
Sung Tongs- 9/10
Feels- 10/10
Strawberry Jam- 9/10
Merriweather Post Pavilion- 10/10
Fall Be Kind- 9/10
Chz- 7/10
Painting With- 8/10

Golden Gal is GOAT. The rest ranges from hot garbage to average.

Lmao I fucking love Painting With and my favorite is HCTI get the fuck outta here

Golden Gal is pretty meh. It's not bad but there are definitely better songs on the album.

desu i never watch the visuals with oddsac. they're very amateurish and i find the performances by many of the actors to be a little embarrassing. the mr fingers and working/tantrum barb sections are the only ones that really work for me. despite anco's intentions the music holds up very well on it's own imo.

danny's visuals for the pbvsgr tour were amazing though.

Uh. I love Painting With and Campfire Songs is my favorite album.

Animal cucklective did apparently.

Still a b8ing faggot