What's your opinion on Wagner?

What's your opinion on Wagner?

more like Swagner

more like Fagner

fuck wagner

he wrote some good music but goddamn what a piece of shit

yeah this

he's ok but what have you done for me lately? this nigga fell off

good case of when it's worth separating the art from the artist - not to discredit him, obviously amazingly talented guy, but yeah nah we do not value his beliefs

Mad respect for my nephew Dick Wagner II. Wrote some wicked bass lines, whenever we program a new beat with my band I stealz some of his bass lines and I drop it like it's hot

Lol he wrote a couple essays complaining that Jewish music was hollow, insincere and they were only in it for the money. It was a commonly held belief at the time but not many people were willing to write about it. He was no way politically against Jews and by modern standards would actually probably be considered pretty right leaning.
Hitler's adoration and bastardization of his music and image in no way should effect your beliefs of him as a person, it certainly didn't to Webern, Schoenberg or Mahler
Social justice revisionism is one of the biggest plagues of music, I swear
At least he never threw a lime at someone dancing at a kraftwerk concert

Can someone post that letter written to wagner telling him he's awful? Can't find it anywhere

Also, I would seriously bet a large sum of money that no one in this thread has actually listened to a Wagner opera

Everyone on the fucking planet has heard Flight of the Valkries.

Yeah but he was totally a dick to Mendelssohn, and that's just uncalled for.

Mendelssohn was like the biggest sweetheart of all the Romantic composers.

You're right about taking Wagner's music at face value, though. Trystan and Ysolde was monumental.

I think you can tell that the attack against Jewish music is really just a thin veil over his genuine anti-semitism - and defending racism as being 'popular at the time' doesn't make it good mate

Master orchestrator, visionary opera writer / producer. His use of leitmotif as an integral part of story telling and character development has not been surpassed.
Writes pretty good music too.

thats not the same as actually listening to one of his operas, and following the score to see what he's up to with his motifs. Its brain-popping stuff

it's like hating H.P. Lovecraft for "On the Creation of Niggers" though. It's separate from what he was originally known for, so why should learning a pedantic fact about a composer retroactively make people enjoy his music less.

He's dead, he's not making money by you supporting him. Who gives a shit if he was racist at one point.

Good thread mongoloid. You satisfied?

Lol if Beyoncé woke up tomorrow and issued a press conference and was like "white men making acoustic guitar music is disingenuous garbage and should be abolished" you wouldn't be able to hear anything over the chorus of yass queens

he was mad that jewish composers were overshadowing him. wagner was bff with liszt who was also a jew.

pleb as it may be, Ride of the Valkyries is still one of my favorite pieces of music of all time.

Nothing gets me pumped up quite like it does.

I can't listen to it while driving or I get serious leadfoot.

Just stop. Shit bait. Shit thread. Take it somewhere else man.

First of all I didn't start this thread, but I suposse you're right. It was a poor analogy. I'm just sick of hearing "lol I don't like Wagner because someone told me he didn't like jews"
Its the fucking cultural equivalent of a Muslim artist writing an essay on why contemporary Christian pop music is shit. I don't see why people get so bent out of shape about it when they don't even have any idea what they're talking about

My uncle (may he rest in piece) refused to drive a Ford car his whole life. It didn't matter that Henry Ford was long dead or that his built great cars. It didn't matter that Henry Ford was famous or much beloved for his contribution to the American economy. What mattered was Henry Ford's flawed character. Henry Ford was a virulent anti-Semite. In Uncle Bernie's eyes, Ford's hatred of Jews rendered his accomplishments meaningless. I believe that the same standards can be applied to Wagner. He wrote great music, but he was filled with hate. My Uncle drove all kinds of cars, including roadsters and sports cars. He never missed driving a Ford car. There are plenty options available for those who love music. Nobody needs Wagner.

i don't go on tumblr so i wouldn't hear about it

Nah bitch, it's Wagner

kill yourself faggot

>Nobody needs Wagner.
Anyone involved with Opera or classical music does. Professional performers make their livings out of playing Wagers music.

Hating an artists creation because of his ideology is childish. Plus in those days most of Europe hated Jews (except the Jews of course) it wasn't anything out of the ordinary. Its not like he orchestrated a holocaust or anything. Probably didn't even kill any Jews.
Also your uncle is a tool.

Dank music, mean guy

Sup Mike

Agreed. Also whos your favorite composer user? 1. Mozart 2. Beethoven 3. Wagner

somebody tell me this is some pasta because its fucking funny

he hates women and Jews so he's ok in my book

i'm also the guy that said separating art from the beliefs of the artist is a good thing. don't go putting words in my mouth mayne

shit, true, didn't know this. thanks for being civil and informative

>justifying racism with an appeal to the masses

you're the tool m9

Of those 3, Beethoven, but the real answer is Bach