Does 2016 have any 9+'s from p4k left? Is this the pool they'll be taking AOTY from?

Does 2016 have any 9+'s from p4k left? Is this the pool they'll be taking AOTY from?

Garbage absolutely shit list.

all these albums are fuckin overrated, max 8.5/10
except Anohni who deserves a 7

Danny

Brown

The only album from that list worth aoty is AMSP and it won't get it because radiohead is all white men

This is definitely the most underwhelming collection of yearly 9.0+ albums of this decade so far.

This pitchfork hates whites

wait for LCD Soundystem's LP4

Because Radiohead is shit^

Fixed that for you

Danny is the only obvious one at this point.

I don't think bonbon is getting it.

Maybe Twigs or Chromatics if they still release this year.

obviously they didn't think so you mong

Holy fucking shit none of those albums deserve 9's. Is this real?

Last year only had 1 good 9+

frank is gonna win it.

2017 m8
does pitchfork even like danny? i never read their reviews anymore so i wouldn't kno

You guys think they'll pull the very rare 8.x AOTY and give it to Bowie?

I sure hope you mean Carrie & Lowell

the fact they gave in colour a score of 93 just makes me sad

Yeah they gave Old an 8.7 BNM

jesus fucking christ i forgot that they gave deafhaven a 9, thats just embarassing 2bh

I do

I honestly believe none of the 9's from this year deserve a score above 8.7

Why did New Bermuda place so low in their year end list with that score?

>"Danny Brown has all the tools to be the greatest working rapper. It’s breathtaking when he puts them together."

The guaranteed BNMs I can think of are Bon Iver and Danny Brown. Preoccupations, Jenny Hval, and American Football are a maybe, but I'm thinking a low 8 non-BNM for them. But none of them will get 9+. The list in OP's pic is more than likely it for the rest of the year.

I wish they would pull a 2004 and give a brand new band no one's heard of a 9+ like they did with Arcade Fire.

Proper P4k Ratings incoming for the following albums:

Currents: 8.2/10
Jamie XX: 7.9/10
C&L: 8.0/10
TPAB: 10/10
New Bermuda: 8.8/10

Coloring Book: 8.7/10
A Moon Shaped Pool: 9.0/10
Nick Cave: N/A Haven't listened yet
Blonde: 7.1/10
Hopelessness: 6.7/10
TLOP: 5.9/10

Why was 2003-2009 P4k the best? Also, Why Are they so shitty now? Is it the Conde Nast buyout? The Staff Writers? All The Above?

They actually had a large level of influence back then, now there's a bunch of sites that are identical to them so they have significantly less pull and influence. So they resort to clickbait and staying very safe.

Yes. Especially since the review came out before he died. I would bet $100 that blackstar is AOTY.

Possible? Yeah. Likely? not so much

Me too. I think it's the right choice

Considering that this album was better than any of the ones in that list, and only got a 7.5, I think you can disregard pitchfork entirely.

Usually I'd say that's revisionist bullshit but given Blackstar's connection to his death and how that's a pretty significant part of the album, I think it's fairly warranted

This Album is Fantastic. Almost a 9/10, which I really didn't see coming from the oh sees cosidering i thought all their previous albums were 7/10 or lower

Aoty doesn't necessarily mean BEST album, it could also mean the poster album for the year. Safe to say that Blackstar is one of the poster albums of 2016.

Yeah I know, I just meant they've only done that (I think) one time back in 2006 with The Knife.

It won't get it because it was underwhelming and safe
Regardless my money's on Colouring Book because of its "cultural relevance" and "effortless marriage of black music stylings" or some bullshit

But desu, I really liked Coloring Book :(

The new Bon Iver will get a 10.0 BNM, you heard it here first

Skeleton Tree was the only decent thing on the list.

TLOP was a FLOP.

I have one semi-unrelated question though; why the fuck was Turn on the Bright Lights their #1 album of 2002 list? It's super bland indie rock, plus, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot had a 10 that year and that album was a lot better

ITT people who are too young to remember pitchfork in the 2000s so they just pull shit out of their asses. Most music sites/boards have been shitting on pitchfork since the early 2000s.

>Most music sites/boards have been shitting on pitchfork since the early 2000s.
This is true, I know it.

Buddy I'm likely older than you and very much remember Pitchfork's hay day. Nothing I said was at all objectionable. Their peak of influence was the mid 2000s and they absolutely were "edgier" back then compared to how safe and predictable their moves are now.

Danny will get 9-9.3

Bonnie will get 8.3-8.7. They won't give an album that short a 9+.

I think they'll both get 8.7

Im not talking about their influence or edginess cockknob, I'm talking about how they were perceieved among communities on the internet similar to mu. Nobody was calling them "the best". They had influence but most people aware of them looked at them as a problem.

Also don't brag about being older on here (which you likely aren't). Its a bad look.

I didn't call them "the best" either, I simply explained to that user why they went from being somewhat unique to being identical to every other music crit site.

They're pretty straight. I've listened to them more in the past couple weeks than some people have in years

Anyone want to take a stab at what the songs list might look like this year?

>still obsessing over condefork
Let it go lads,p4k wlll be indistinguishable from rolling stone by the decades end

not ranked but something like this

shut up kiss me or intern
when it rain
nikes
augustine
ultralight or good friends
true love waits
best american girl
one of the beyonce songs
it means i love you
???? I'm sure I'm missing an obvious one

Blackstar & 4 Degrees were on the 2015 list

>implying it's distinguishable now
>implying Rolling Stone isn't actually far better than p4k is right now because they sometimes have a decent article in with the clutter

>>implying it's distinguishable now
Of course someone would say this.

Not enough dadrock

>p4k has started "classic album reviews"
>not enough dadrock
it's basically just the same, p4k is trying to maintain this air of indie cool, but they are pretty indistinguishable already. post a review from Rolling Stone and one from p4k and you could barely tell the difference.

autism analysis inc
this year i'm honestly not sure what they'll pick.
TPAB was pretty much a guarantee last year, they would have been called racist for not picking it and pitchfork can't have that, can they? really not sure this year though.
that chance 9.1 came out of left field for sure. i knew it was gonna score higher than acid rap but holy shit i didn't think they'd put it that far. AMSP may have been a hasty review because of the whole "holy shit radiohead is good again!!!!" phenomenon. i thought they would have given skeleton tree the 9.1 but i guess i was wrong. blonde's rating was expected after so many years of waiting for frank to do something. anohni was obvious pandering. kanye's rating should be expected by this point, because what is pitchfork without kanye dickriding?
i think they're waiting for someone else to put out something at this point.
they seem to have gotten off the chance hype train recently, radiohead is all old white men who were previous winners of AOTY at least twice to my knowledge so that'll hurt them, nick cave has been around forever so he's not hip enough to get AOTY, blonde was actually more like blande, they realized no one cares about anohni, and TLOP was kind of a cluttered mess that was all over the place and the 9.0 came from years of hype.
i personally think that out of these albums presented here, they would give it to frank.
if they held their blackstar review another day or two until after bowie passed, they woulda given it 9.6 AOTY.
glad they're not going full mainstream sellout by putting beyonce with the choices here, but if she snags the win somehow i won't be surprised.

Good list, though I was thinking "Best To You" over "Augustine." Also "Drone Bomb Me" will be up there.

Why the fuck did critics like Coloring Book so much? It was pretty much garbage and hated by fans

C&L > POWER GAP > TPAB > currents > POWER GAP > didn't listen to in color but i've heard one or two songs off of it and it sounded like essential borecore.
doesn't take a prophet to realize "white guilt: the review site" would have picked TPAB as AOTY.

actually, i think u are very accurate on this!
although i disagree that frank doesn't deserve to get AOTY for blonde (which is my current fav of this year)
and i actually really like lemonade desu, not that i think it's even near AOTY. lemonade is good like a well-crafted comedy movie is good. easily enjoyable u kno.

also I'm offended by your gif.

lol you actually care
they'll just pick whatever is trending in the zeitgeist of music fashion. it's not a merit based system. everyone will forget 2 years from now.

N E W S P I N O N T H E B L A C K N E S S N A R R A T I V E
M U S T P R A I S E O R I W I L L B E C A L L E D R A C I S T A N D N O T ' W I T H I T '
W H E N U L I S T E N T O A B L A C K A L B U M Y O U G E T O N E M O R E B L A C K F R I E N D
S O C I A L C R E D G O U P W I T H M Y N E O L I B E R A L A M I G O S

i didn't dislike blonde, was just kinda neutral on it. while i personally hope that radiohead wins, i won't be that disappointed if frank or nick wins. i will be if any of the others do.
i understand what you mean about lemonade, i would just be upset if they gave it to lemonade because then, for me, that's it for pitchfork, they have 100% unapologetically sold out to the mainstream and to appeal to a wider audience with a new (and even more than they already are) """progressive""" image.

this isn't even me but I agree with you though you are posing as me

I'm and who he also replied to.

yeah omg so weird. fans and critics not like the same stuff?
u kno what? fans not liking something does NOT make it garbage ... at all. just saying.

good vibes plz

p4k is long dead. they got a taste of money and went full mainstream. they're essentially rolling stone now

>TPAB: 10/10

why the fuck should any of us care?