Who's the best Japanese rock band (besides the obvious Sup Forumscore Boris/Fishmans/etc)?

Who's the best Japanese rock band (besides the obvious Sup Forumscore Boris/Fishmans/etc)?

Any that don't just sound like an imitation of Western bands?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/IXf8g4jTEAs
youtu.be/K_xTet06SUo
youtu.be/cK3NMZAUKGw
youtu.be/Uds7g3M-4lQ
mega.nz/#!8AcyAIwI!oDIS0KU4LZHiCEQ5gRD1J7hKxc1n25rk48IllJR9I_g
youtube.com/watch?v=LDeufiFy0GM
youtu.be/TC1Q7DuNKfw
youtu.be/qwvtkKg7p8c
youtu.be/QtPx6WdNM30
youtube.com/watch?v=e1ttOwBFgqo
youtube.com/watch?v=eIKlV3Hq0W0
youtube.com/watch?v=Mef8TqWG_aQ&index=2&list=PLCOgX8TW9tS_hVjzmSfbSrNoR_PKfL1xU
youtube.com/watch?v=3IJVCO_tubY
youtube.com/watch?v=F0cTof67kok
youtube.com/watch?v=5fqnfiwBfIo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Zeni Geva

Hokago Tea Time

The Gerogerigegege

Right now its toe

I've been getting into BOWL lately. Their music is cool, and the lyrics are pretty nice, too.
I'm not sure what you mean by "imitation", though.

>I'm not sure what you mean by "imitation", though.
Any that don't merely borrow the ideas of Western bands and feed them through a Japanese filter

不失者

MUCC had a period where they were really cool and in between the swings of their darker, emo rock/punk early days and weird metalcore/electronica modern days.

Kuchiki no Tou, Houyoku, and Gokusai are neat albums with lots of variance and plenty of catchy melodies. Anything before or after these starts to slide off a bit.

Flower travellin' band

I'll need you to be more specific. You don't like sound-alikes? Because it's impossible to find someone with zero musical influences. Are you saying you want some that sound exclusively Japanese, not at all borrowing from western music? Those don't exist, and the closest you'll get are anisong bands like JAM Project.

Also Uchu Conbini was fuckin amazing for the time they were around.

Dir en Grey is neat too, but you'd probably only want to consider everything Withering to Death and before if you wanted to keep it strictly rock and not delve into metal.

GIRUGAMESH

And Les Rallizes Denudes

From what I heard of JAM project it sounds pretty western.
youtu.be/IXf8g4jTEAs

Asian Kung-Fu Generation are pretty awesome

Fujifabric have a distinct sound too

Base Ball Bear and Sambomaster might also be worth your time

Irl I-no

hey guys what's that japanese rock album with the flowers on the cover you know the one

Are there any other bands similar to Boredoms? You know, bands that will make me feel like my head is on fire while listening to them?

NUMBER GIRL
U
M
B
E
R

G
I
R
L

Call me a normie, but I love the pillows

Was about to post this

Last Dinosaur is a legitimate 10/10 song

Genuinely surprised they weren't the first reply.

I legit did a project on them for my Japanese class in high school. I played a song by them and everything, pretty sure it was Little Busters lmao.

no... it's really simple and blue with yellow flowers I think

Aint rock

This one?
Long Goodbye EP by Kinoko Teikoku

Maybe you'd like Wagakki Band, although I'm not a fan.
youtu.be/K_xTet06SUo

They mesh rock music with traditional Japanese sounds/instruments.

Babymetal's Megitsune is a fan favorite and mixes traditional sounds including the iconic Sakura Sakura.
youtu.be/cK3NMZAUKGw

I like Band-Maid quite a bit but they emulate Western rock (pretty damn well).
youtu.be/Uds7g3M-4lQ

that's the one
ty user

Good shit it is
Sharing b/c why the fuck not

きのこ帝国 (Kinoko Teikoku) –ロンググッドバイ (Long Goodbye) [2013]
>J-rock, shoegaze, pop rock
mega.nz/#!8AcyAIwI!oDIS0KU4LZHiCEQ5gRD1J7hKxc1n25rk48IllJR9I_g

youtube.com/watch?v=LDeufiFy0GM

thanks friend

>Ajikan
>awesome
>ripping off Number Girl and then selling out for dat sweet anime $$$ is now considered awesome

>literally japanese Green Day
>have written the same shitty, uninspired mid-tempo pop-rock drivel for the last two decades
>any flare of inspiration and originality lost after their third record

that's technopop bruh

>japanese ROCK
>rock
>that isn't western

you need to take music appreciation 101

Mass of the Fermening Dregs and these

The best band to have ever existed.

Second best.

>35 replies and no one has said anything about bloodthirsty butchers

>hurr muh semantics
you know what he meant

Melt Banana

キタ━━━━━━(゜∀゜)━━━━━━ッ!!

not really. he's asking for japanese rock that isn't western sounding, that's impossible because then it wouldn't be 'rock'.

Accurate

>yfw tricot is reddit's favorite japanese band

2ch memes not welcome friendo
there's bound to be something rock with traditional influences be it shamisen koto and whatever or even like enka and old pop

Even though shibuya-kei and picopop are pretty strictly Japanese they're still just rips on bossa nova and ye-ye, so it's tough to say

flower travellin band

lamp even tho they arent rock per se

>mfw giving a shit about what reddit thinks of your favorite band
>mfw actually visiting reddit to see what they think about your favorite band
>mfw changing your opinion based on what reddit said about your favorite band
>mfw this is not my beautiful feel

Acid Mothers Temple

Yuzo Kayama

Great surf rock and ballads, and made the best movies

I mean my opinion of 'em hasn't changed

I went to one of their USA shows and there was this big fat white guy wearing a Death Grips shirt yelling out memes and a bunch of (ugly) girls wearing JoJo shirts and I wondered what was up

When I googled pics of the show next day I saw some were posted on reddit and ended up finding out they have a subreddit for tricot.

Shit explained itself way too fast.

ももいろクローバーZ desu

youtu.be/TC1Q7DuNKfw
youtu.be/qwvtkKg7p8c

Oh not the best by any means but they fit the last part of your OP.

I went to the Nashville show and it was an oddly normal crowd
It was in a tiny little dive bar so capacity wasn't that many people to begin with, but it was mostly just 20 and 30 somethings drinking and dancing and trying to play off Ikkyu's Engrish banter
Made me happy

damn, I'm jelly, people got really autistic here at the San Diego gig whenever Ikkyu said anything

luckily there were some pretty rowdy drunk dudes jumping and pogoing on the front rows so I found peeps to just have a fun time with

Yeah whatever Dreyman

t bh OP idol music might be your thing. Pretty much all non-idol rock music tries to sound as western as possible. It's pretty boring to me. Idol music is looked down upon but it can be pretty experimental. Marty Friedman basically quit life as a star in the US to live in Japan and work with idols because of how varying it is.

J-pop in general tends to have electric guitar in it and it's common to have a guitar solo.
youtu.be/QtPx6WdNM30

M I D O R I

youtube.com/watch?v=e1ttOwBFgqo

Yeah I figure any of the west coast shows would be pretty bad even though they'd be bigger productions
Actually pretty glad I wasn't at the LA show instead

Maximum The Hormone are pretty cool

mouse on the keys are pretty great

youtube.com/watch?v=eIKlV3Hq0W0

Understandable since they're cute and fucking rock. One of the better bands itttbqh.

Yes. Easily the best Japanese rock/metal band. They don't get their heads too far up their asses like the vis kei dudes, and they aren't afraid of having fun.

Fucking babymetal. Get that weeb trash commercial metal out of here. This thread is for respectable japanese bands, not blatant cashgrabs

Blatant cashgrab? It was given a tiny budget and created by a veteran respected metal producer in Japan.

Metal does not sell in Japan.

>Metal does not sell in Japan.
You ever hear about visual kei

Babymetal is not that, and Visual Kei is not metal.

You know nothing about them. You're just parroting stereotypes.

This

I like Toe
youtube.com/watch?v=Mef8TqWG_aQ&index=2&list=PLCOgX8TW9tS_hVjzmSfbSrNoR_PKfL1xU

>/daily/ on a date

Thee Michelle Gun Elephant, The Back Horn's old stuff.

[The] Boredoms.

Melt Banane

Not really. Only a few visual bands and mid-2000's Okinawan pop-punk use any older instruments prominently. Japanese rock is cool because they have their own rock tradition separate from the UK or US ones. Usually Japanese bands will be influenced mostly by other, previous Japanese bands, unlike say France or Korea where every generation just copies whatever's happening in the UK or US with no reference to their own older shit

There's also a difference in their approach to chords. They generally preffer the more "ambiguous" sounds of dominant and diminished chords. Plus they often have longer progressions or add variation throughout the song.

also does asobi seksu count, their lead singer is japanese

Cornelius

>mid-2000's Okinawan pop-punk
hahahahahahaha what

this thread needs more kamomekamome

youtube.com/watch?v=3IJVCO_tubY

youtube.com/watch?v=F0cTof67kok

rarizu is the only answer

Base Ball Bear

Ling Tosite Sigure

Acid Mothers Temple

this desu

Acid Black Cherry is a mix of hard rock, ballads, and big band tunes. 2012 and L are my favorite albums.

Sadie is hard rock that delves into some metal, though they're practically a cover band of Dir en Grey up until "Madrigal de Maria," which, in my opinion, is their best album next to Master of Romance.

The other ones I'm majorly into are already mentioned (Girugamesh, Wagakki Band, Ling Tosite Sigure).

B'z is one of the biggest rock bands in Japan. Twenty five albums IIRC, and they've been praised by Steve Vai and are the first Asians on the Hollywood Rockwall.
"Ultra Soul" is a huge favorite and a decent song, too. I like their redo of it on their album C'mon.

I've always been fond of X Japan, but that's just because I'm a fucking sap who likes their ballads. Blue Blood is a p sweet album though.

youtube.com/watch?v=5fqnfiwBfIo

midori
kinoko teikoku
my dead girlfriend
lemon's chair
tokyo shoegazer
pasteboard
claws
melt-banana

etc etc

>third record
>they didn't hit their stride till their fourth record

desu

>Visual Kei is not metal.
Visual Kei isn't a genre, it's a visual style associated with genres.

Visual Kei is literally rooted in 80s Japanese speed and power metal.

Acid Mother's Temple?

Phew
Aunt Sally
Ruins
Flower Travelling Band

you people have such a garbage taste, almost everything here is literally high-school-anime-club-core

visual kei was invented and popularized by successful japanese power, thrash, glam, speed metal, punk and hardcore bands in the 80s and early 90s tho
when visual kei went relatively mainstream in japan, thats when softer rock subgenres and non-rock subgenres started adopting the style.

Melt-Banana

Galneryus

No user it's you who are no fun

>le fun meme xD

you think other people get into different music as an assignment or work?

How the fuck has nobody said toe yet?

Plebs.

1. Flower Travellin' Band
2. J. A. Seazer
3. Takeshi Terauchi and The Bunnys
4. Les Rallizes Dénudés
5. GISM
6. X-Japan
7. Boredoms
8. Corrupted
9. Melt Banana
10. Dir En Grey