it's shit because these dudes are total poseur pussies that want to sound good and "BADASS"

> it's shit because these dudes are total poseur pussies that want to sound good and "BADASS"

Music criticism, ladies and gentleman.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=J7bNrCRY618
tinymixtapes.com/music-review/preoccupations-preoccupations
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

they fucking changed their band name like the canadian vaginas that they are

i liked the way it sounds

I don't agree with that criticism but the album was pretty mediocre

>others: Facebook
kek
but still
>Gang of Four, Joy Division
did they even listen to these bands or just namedropping bigger post-punk bands? preoccupations doesn't sound like them at all.

>not saying, "sounds like women and viet kong."
Tragic missed opportunity.

the review has a point - if ur gonna choose a band name that is a bit provocative, at least ride it out when it does actually provoke people

uh, so? music/art criticism hasn't been predominantly concerned with formalism for a while now.

>did they even listen to these bands or just namedropping bigger post-punk bands?
They're naming other post-punk bands with similar "controversial" band names

That's not "a point". It has NOTHING to do with artistic criticism. Don't defend that shit.

They don't even sound like each other. They are near opposite ends of the spectrum of post-punk. Gang of Four: Rhythmic, dance
Joy Division: atmospheric, depression

omg a part of nazi germany no one knows, and le controversial chinamen

I doubt that is what they were comparing, imo.

it exemplifies the fact that theyre a band that exist for no real purpose

Do you know anything about art criticism lol

the "others" section of tmt reviews are often supposed to be cheeky, especially in the case of negative or super critical reviews. considering the fact the the majority of review deals with the writer's grievances about a post-punk band kowtowing to public pressure and changing their name, and therefore putting their whole ethos into question, i'd say that is exactly what they were comparing.

Simon Chandler is a moron, you're completely right.

His reviews are consistently completely lacking in any actual engagement with the music itself.

re-evaluate your stance

Link?

this
the glowing man review is just as bad and just as removed from any actual music criticism

>a band that exist for no real purpose
Absolutely not. You guys are as soft as tmt defending this shit. Record is still mediocre though, like the band, but they're here for music.

What a shit review and I don't even like Viet Cong. If music journo's were only half as invested in actually taking apart music as they were with dumb, petty shit like this, we'd maybe be actually reading proper reviews.

they music sounds good to my ears

TMT is a meme site

>changing your band name because of a few University student protests that were based purely on petty idpol

Wimpiest post-punk band ever

Eh, I don't mind. The ideology, commentary on the current cultural and political climate, attitude, image, etc has always played a large part in post-punk (and punk) music and is endemic to the genre. I wish he would have focused a little more on the musical content - maybe two or three more paragraphs - but eh I don't see an issue with band name being at the center of discussion.

>Having your gigs cancelled because of your band name.

It's not that fucking important.

Viet Cong was a great name. Preoccupations is ugly and forgettable.

Yeah I'm sure it was real hard for this band on Jagjaguwar to have shows booked

>it's shit because these dudes are total poseur pussies that want to sound good and "BADASS"

Funny I have the same criticism of Pavement.

youtube.com/watch?v=J7bNrCRY618

hahaha

Can anyone give me the gist of what they say here?
I can't listen to it now but I'll probably forget if I put it off

god why are they such dicks about it he's obviously trying his best

they are upset because something something Viet Cong did bad things at one point even though the protesters all look under 30 and have probably never lived in North Vietnam

this is the most "I live inside a suburban bubble" post of all time

I assume you mean the people protesting right.

Hahaha

Explain.

The presumption that, because you are disconnected and apathetic about what happened in north vietnam, that others are just as uncaring as you.

Well, not like they have a point since as he pointed out they're all sub 30 and never have experienced the Viet Cong. But that doesn't mean it didn't/doesn't affect them, shit's irrational. My mom's croatian and was held hostage for a couple weeks during the Yugo war. I hate serbs because of that even tho she really doesn't hold a grudge anymore.

And same probably goes for these mid 20 kids who most likely have never lived in Vietnam but had their grand/parents flee their 'home country' because of the Viet Cong. History is not a vacuum.

But ofc that's hard to understand for white kids growing up in the US whose relatives haven't been in similar situations, not even meant as a judgement.

But the Viet Cong didn't do anything wrong

Well, that's a way to undermine discussion, alright.

Should the band have put trigger warnings in the adverts for their shows?

joy division is dance too if you're sad enough

viet cong are a bunch of pussy white boys who can't even keep a name after some fucks cancel a couple shows
they deserve every bad rating they can get.
don't even join the post punk genre if you can't even stick with your ideologies

someone post the link

tinymixtapes.com/music-review/preoccupations-preoccupations

this

fuck all these people forever, cunts of the world

thats irrelevant, the point is about the band and the name they chose, not north vietnam or the actual literal Viet Cong.

please fuck off, douchebag

so fucking spineless.

can't wait to see them in montreal

same

such a nice guy falling victim to the cuckholdry ;_;

They're idiots for choosing the name in the first place because they admitted they didn't see it as provocative and just thought it sounded cool.

It'd be dumber to have shows cancelled because they stood by a name that meant very little to them anyway

What a fucking asshole, reviewing a name change when they released a really good record.

;)

no one gives a fuck about joy division or new orders name, why the fuck do they care about viet cong. i hate the alt right so much, but i honestly cant wait for this trendy buzzfeed pc politics fad to die out

>Rather, it’s simply to say that the switch confirmed the original name’s emptiness and thereby highlighted the possibility that, contrary to appearances, their whole shtick was nothing more than an “edgy” posture

Why do people pretend that band names have weight? Like does this reviewer seriously think they picked that name to be edgy? They thought the words "Viet Cong" made a good band name and that's it, just like the vast majority of band names. And the review seems to purport that they were once trying to be edgy or provocative. Uh, when? They never came off this way.

TMT is a bunch of hacks.

>others: Facebook
lol
>click on Facebook
>It's a link to an article about them censoring the napalm girl photo
TOP KEK!