/language learning/

Posted this thread yesterday evening and I got an autistic Norwegian talking about >white. Let's try it one last time.

Can we get a learning language thread going?

I've decided to start going to courses in 2017, starting February. My plan is to cover A1 in spring, A2 in summer and B1 this time next year. Point is, I can't decide between French and German. I've studied both as second foreign languages in school (more than 10 years ago) but I wasn't that much interested at the time and I don't think I got some good grasp on them, that's why I want to start from the beginning.

I'll be happy to hear some thoughts on the matter. Meme answers about how Arabic/Turkish would be more suitable are also welcomed for the sake of this being the shithole we know as Sup Forums.

Other urls found in this thread:

vocaroo.com/i/s05LzEK38TOO
politicalavenue.com/10862/Russian Language Learning Pack (Updated)/02.The New Penguin Russian Course A Complete Course for Beginners.pdf
icelandiconline.is/index.html
weeklylanguage.com/p/languages.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I'm in the exact same boat as you my friend.

Obviously French has a lot more use here in Canada, but I kind of hate the language and my pronunciation is terrible. I can already read it decently but I can't really understand it in speaking and I can barely speak it.

German meanwhile I find really interesting and when I went I learned some phrases beforehand and a lot of people told me I have great pronunciation.

That's my biggest concert about French - not being able to get the pronunciation right and sounding like a huge peasant.

Learning French makes learning Spanish, Italian, and the other two irrelevant Romance languages easier if that interests you.

Don't worry about pronunciation, worrying about that will just mess with you. You can fix mistakes as you come across them.

>Don't worry about pronunciation
bad advice, french people will hate you if your pronunciation is shit

take German to get a well-paying job in Germany of course

It's always nice to see someone trying, if anybody is laughing at you he's the peasant

>Don't worry about pronunciation
This advice only works for english speakers, because no matter how much they try they will sound like shit anyways

we should all learn Esperanto

conlangs are for nerds

mi pilin e ni: mi ali li wile kama sona e toki pona

this is Sup Forums we're all nerds

I dunno lad I'm kind of a Frankaboo so I'm naturally inclined towards French, but hell, do whatever you feel more like doing, I guess. Once you get a feel for the phonetics and perhaps can talk with a native speaker, it's really not that bad. Hell, in my experience, you have to actually try to not be understood.

Cxu parolas iu tie cxi la esperanton?

There is no wrong choice when deciding between those two languages. You just start with one and if it doesn't work out, try the other.

Me, personally, back in school I was very eager to learn German, started off well, quickly got the pronunciation, but by the time we started learning cases and the fucking Partizips I just gave up.

While with French the grammar was easy (very similar with English), also all those common words with English give you a basic vocabulary right from the start. The pronunciation is tough, but once you've mastered it you really appreciate it.

How am I supposed to pronoune "лю" in for example люблю?

Anyone learned russian before? What are the GOAT textbooks?

Anyone learned icelandic? Are there any resources for it?

ю sound is the same as 'you' in English, so any consonant which goes before ю is automatically softer. You just say the consonant before it and combined it with 'yu' sound. So you say lyublyu. You can write it in different ways of course, depending on the country. Some, like Lithuanians will prefer liubliu, other Slavs will probably prefer ljublju. In a way, Slovenia's capital name Ljubljana is made like that.

Another example is name Yugoslavia. In Russian, it is Югocлaвия and in Balkan languages it's Jugoslavija. So you can imagine what it would sound like only if you added a single letter in front of it, for example Ljugoslavija/lyugoslavija.

Okay, then I just can't say the sound, I know the alphabet.
vocaroo.com/i/s05LzEK38TOO

Sort of feels like I can't move my tongue properly for it. Damn annoying too since my English pronounciation was always good and my German was quite decent back in the day.

Danish makes me want to kill myself tbqhwyf.

Hmm, easier to say lyugoslavija than lyublyu. I probably just need some practice.

It makes everyone want to kill themselves in one way or another.

You have it really close, it's the main problem which I see in foreigners is that they try to pronounce this softening j sound and it ends up something like lijubliju. They try to pronounce it as a separate letter. It's more like a sound which just makes the previous letter before it softer. You can crack it, just need practice and micmic learning.

Another example which I can give you, is Isaac Newton. In Russian, it's Hьютoн (ignore the ь for now). So you can see that the 'ew' as in 'new' is pronounced the same as ю as well. It is clear in this example that it just makes the N letter softer, so you don't say something like Nijuton, it's just Njuton/Nyuton/Njuton.

If you can say New, you can perfectly say Hю. Then it's just the same with other letters. Lew, Mew etc. Pronounce 'lewd' and you will get exact pronunciation of люд. People - люди, so there's a word you could practice on. It would sound exactly the same as lewdi.

Cases and Partizips aren't that hard, don't try to learn in like you'd learn Latin. Just listen a lot and you'll get used to it.
I'm sure that from 100 Germans, you'll hardly find one who can name you the cases, rather than intuitively using them.

Choose Spanish like everybody.

French is not very useful and it is spoken by Africans and German is irrelevant and ugly.

>autistic Norwegian talking about >white

When it comes to discuss about France you always have this guy trying to prove that France is nothing but a irrelevant shithole.

see this. French is hard because it has lots of irregular pronunciations, but still less than in English. Once you understood that French is a language free of tonic accent and that revolves around a few set of sound, it turns to be easy to say.

Anyway, you have to determine which language will be the more useful for you. Do you actually have occasions to practice German or French ?

Hey thanks, that makes it easier. I just thought that ou were supposed to pronounce it as a separate letter, but I'll try to be more relaxed with it

I'm having the same problem. I've been wanting to start learning another language and I am between french and german. The problem is that I already have some grammar books for freanch, but I'm somewhat afraid of its pronunciation and those nasal sounds. And for german I don't really know, I haven't tried it yet. So, the thing is that I don't want to make a "mistake" and waste time learning a language that I'll quit.

No problem man, you can ask if you have anymore questions

It always seemed easy for me but I took it too much for granted after seeing foreigners struggle with it. After I decided to learn a new language, I could really see how much help one needs and I learned to appreciate every advice.

French and German are both meme languages at this point. You should have done Spanish and Russian.

Learning Spanish, at A2 now.

Should I learn Catalan too?

catalans are hairy degenerate people and their language is equally awful baka desu senpai

do German, French is a meme language

How different from Castilian is it?

I'm not advanced enough to have any more questions tbqh

this, even though Spanish is a meme as well

Catalan is only relevant if you intend to move there, even then I believe Spanish would be enough to live by

it's more distantly related to Castillian than say, Galician. castillian is a West Iberian language and Catalan is Occitano-Romance

God Speed OP. I currently learn japanese, but it more like "occasional practice" than actual learning. But i know Hiragana already and i've actually written my first question and answer in this alphabet, without looking to any sources, I know some basic words,verbs and simple sentence construction from Anime. I am thinking about starting reading some japanese course in polish that i have downloaded.

Have you ever lived in Catalunya? How prevalent is Catalan over Castilian there?

>close to f*ench
absolutely disgusting

Ja hallo, was geht

Ich habe mich seit fast ein Jahr Deutsch lernen worden

Nachdem im Bundestagswahl die AfD gewonnt hat, dann wird ich nach Deutschland kommen.

Ich brauche mehr Sprechtraining

>Nachdem im Bundestagswahl die AfD gewonnt hat, dann wird ich nach Deutschland kommen.
Wird nicht passieren Brudi

Nah, just guessing, as the languages don't seem to be that different and cities tend to be cosmopolitan anyway. I remember some kid brought a Catalonian magazine written in the language back in high school because of muh Barça (ç isn't used in Spanish btw)

:(

Here ya go

politicalavenue.com/10862/Russian Language Learning Pack (Updated)/02.The New Penguin Russian Course A Complete Course for Beginners.pdf

For Icelandic: icelandiconline.is/index.html

Bunch of resource lists though the site doesn't update anymore: weeklylanguage.com/p/languages.html

desu, we hate everyone and everything.