Anymore good trip hop?

are there only 2 good trip hop bands and 1 good solo artist (Tricky) ?

I got the first 3 massive attack. Mezzanine is my fave, imo it is way above Blue Lines & Protection, and even above Dummy by Portishead.

Got all Portishead, though I wouldn't consider last one trip hop. Love the debut, second album is growing but it does have some filler.

Got Trickys debut. Very good, maybe 2 filler tracks.

Are these the only GREAT trip hop artists? Please only recommend bands that you think have an album(s) at least in the same league as these big 3. Thx.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bIy0gzzaSo8&list=PLItE74FD-psXiml1oZYMV4gPcP__dScb0&index=8
youtube.com/watch?v=V_nBNPIFOd4&index=10&list=PLItE74FD-psXiml1oZYMV4gPcP__dScb0
youtube.com/watch?v=GSOrAwCDWvU
youtube.com/watch?v=_8sNI194y08
youtube.com/watch?v=CZIXItHqTLI
youtube.com/watch?v=zHdcvkNDaWU
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Amon Tobin & DJ Krush nigga

DJ Frane - Journey to the Planet of the Birds

Laika - sounds of the satellite

Teargas & Plateglass - S/T

what album(s) ?

has terrible reviews but I will give it a shot.

never heard of em. average ratings and its very long. hope its good.

This album is a 10/10

Neither of them has a weak or bad album but good entry points are Supermodified and Strictly Turntablized.

Black Triage is better, go for that

Trip Hop is like the UK's very own grunge. It doesn't actually exist as a genre, it's just a label that the press made up.

uh so what is it then? I agree on the grunge but trip hop makes sense. it takes elements of hip hop and downtempo.

It evolved from Bristol's take on hip hop and incorporated Jamaican elements so I don't know, just modern UK soul music? It mutated so quickly, it doesn't make sense to pigeonhole all these things as trip hop. It just seems like a dumb, lazy way of looking at it. Massive Attack were a sound system/crew called The Wild Bunch. Portishead were like a sample heavy jazz trio. DJ Shadow was a turntablist. All the music is great, it just feels like a really narrow definition.

UNKLE - Psyence Fiction and DJ Shadow's Endtroducing if that counts as trip hop in your book

this

OP here dont count Endtroducing as trip hop. one of my fave albums though.

never heard o the otehr one.

better be!

this album is def recommended

also Who Can You Trust? by Morcheeba

little people
smoke city
thievery corporation
portishead
erik truffaz
the herbaliser

best DJ Krush albums are Krush and Ki-Oku

why are u recommending dj krush u fucking weaboo. his music is extremely average and dated. this guy isnt good dont waste your time OP.

Bowery Electric - Beat

This. Their second album sucks dick and avoid it. Pretty much everything after that is amazing but they are a different band.

not even the same band after this album lol.

>little people
nice one

you're retarded

>Who Can You Trust? by Morcheeba
yes

also Sneaker Pimps Becoming X and DJ Cam Underground Vibes

Brother Sun Sister Moon:
youtube.com/watch?v=bIy0gzzaSo8&list=PLItE74FD-psXiml1oZYMV4gPcP__dScb0&index=8

youtube.com/watch?v=V_nBNPIFOd4&index=10&list=PLItE74FD-psXiml1oZYMV4gPcP__dScb0

was about to post Sneaker Pimps Becoming X - it's a great album. Take out the shitty album version of spin spin sugar and put in the radio mix though.

I woulda been pissed as fuck if I bought it when I was a kid and the two fucking hits on the radio (6 undeground and Spin Spin Sugar) were mixes that wern't even on the album

that is the best triphop album op, but this is some pretty great recent trip hop. 2014 i believe. for some reason, barely anyone is able to accurately capture the trip hop sound (hence why there are so few bands within the genre), but htrk nails it with this album.
youtube.com/watch?v=GSOrAwCDWvU

Love me some Ghostly records, School of Seven Bells got me into their label. This is really good and you are right, this genre is really niche. It had some mainstream in the mid 90's, but just barely.

oddly, a handful of tracks off the Chemical Brothers' Exit Planet Dust are basically trip hop or at least really nice 90s downtempo

youtube.com/watch?v=_8sNI194y08

youtube.com/watch?v=CZIXItHqTLI

Chem Brothers never get love on Sup Forums yet they have one of the strongest catalogs of any electronic band.

Saltillo. He only has two albums and both are strong. His take on the genre is pretty unique as well

dope.

for newer. I listen to a lot of Long Arm The Branches

youtube.com/watch?v=zHdcvkNDaWU

The thing is about trip-hop is that basically everyone that got involved with it during the late 90s and through the 2000s (after the 'first wave') focused on the blandest, least engaging aspects of the genre and all we got was thousands of piss weak, fedora tier downtempo that people enjoyed exclusively because of the 'lounginess'.

HTRK are fucking great at the trip-shctick though. Funnily enough, they are definitely not anything close to consciously trip-hop. Check out their early work.

Oh yeah, the only artist that could ever use jazz samples in trip-hop and actually sound good was Portishead. Even they moved beyond it.

this is pretty good

Figment by Masters of Illusion (song)

Nightmares on Wax

Thank me later

maybe listen to Bjork
industrial/electronic/trip-hop sort of music, vocals are very raw and strong

Nightmares on wax is kind of trip hop kind of downtempo but they're still great